Pedal Grips for EUC Off-Roading

Thinking about EUC Extreme and off-roading in general, I wonder whether some sort of quick release shoe clip would come in handy like those rat traps you see some bicyclists use.

DSC02482.JPG

If you've never seen these, they allow you to insert your shoe into them and have a little front and top portion that helps keep your position on the pedal.  In the above photo, it's upside down as it's top heavy.

For EUC usage, these would be a bit dangerous as your feet would be locked into the pedals so I was thinking of maybe some sort of ski binding like clip where the shoe can be locked into the pedal, but upon enough force they can be released.  Tightness settings could be applied just like on a ski.  I've gone over some bumps on regular sidewalks which have made my feet shift position.  I don't know how serious off-roaders keep their feet on the pedals while hitting a lot of bumps.  @EUC Extreme do you have Velcro taped onto the bottom of your shoes?  ;)  Or do placing those spiked screws on the pedal and grip tape help enough to avoid slipping off?

I've wondered about something like this too, but rather than the "rat trap" I was thinking about something more subtle as used by the more serious riders...

SLC-D-42_1.jpg

The brackets on the right are screwed to your shoes, with matching "slots" on the pedals (left). This would give a faster "quick release" when needed. Though for an EUC the rest of the foot will need to be supported too. 

Before that though I am going to uprate my grip tape - My IPS191 came with some budget grip tape (which is almost gone after 50km), so I am going to replace it with a more industrial version ($15 at the local skate shop - and that is enough to cover an entire skateboard).

I'm enjoying a bit of rough riding at the moment (on gravel and dirt). So we'll see how it goes...

I think it is a good pedal for spikes. The grip is sufficient and legs can be moved whenever necessary. I constantly move my feet when while driving.
Therefore, I would like something that would be laid down in the place where the foot may rest.

1 hour ago, EUC Extreme said:

I think it is a good pedal for spikes. The grip is sufficient and legs can be moved whenever necessary. I constantly move my feet when while driving.
Therefore, I would like something that would be laid down in the place where the foot may rest.

Hi @EUC Extreme - do you have a photo showing your pedal mods?

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove, don't forget, the foot retainers used on bicycles are so that the rider can generate power on the upstroke as well as the downstroke. I'm not at all sure I would want to be still attached to the wheel during a faceplant and I suspect a ski type quick release would not work as well or as quickly on a wheel as it does on a ski as a ski has quite a bit of leverage when it all goes wrong.

I don't do a lot of off road but do regularly fly over some tree roots on the path I use most. As I've got familiar with them (and hence faster) I've found, if anything, my feet are slightly better positioned on landing.

At the moment my jury is still out even on grip tape. I usually wear a pair of walking boots which gripped fairly well on the metal footplates of my KS-14 even in the wet. But I recently added some good skateboard grip tape and I'm finding it very hard to move my feet at all to adjust my position, without stopping at the next handy lamppost. I should mention that, possibly due to a bad motorcycle accident 40 years ago, which left some lower leg damage (or just age!), I find riding one legged too painful to do so cannot easily lift one foot to reposition it whilst moving.

16 minutes ago, Keith said:

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove, don't forget, the foot retainers used on bicycles are so that the rider can generate power on the upstroke as well as the downstroke.

but that would make curb jumping a lot easier...

I just thought it might be more an option for the hardcore riders out there who need  a little extra foot grip sort of like professional cyclists who use those toe clips like @The Fat Unicyclist  mentioned.  I don't ride that fast usually, but I notice that going over uneven seams in the sidewalk that I'll momentarily have a little air between my feet and the pedals which repositions then slightly.

Watching @EUC Extreme's high speed offroading he catches a huge amount of air time and bumps it must be tricky to keep his pedal position.  I wonder if he grips his wheel more at the ankles...

I know with the clips it would be much more hazardous in an accident trying run off if the wheel is attached to the feet!  I wonder if couple of magnets on the pedal and shoe might help guide the feet back into their ideal "home position" yet not be too grippy.  I guess the main idea is to help the rider maintain proper foot positioning over bumpy terrain.  Going at high speed over bumps I don't know how they keep their foot positioning.

@EUC Extreme Great design! What type of studs are you using and is there a strategic method you used to determine the exact placement?

Update, i just looked closer at your photo and see they are allen screws tapped into the pedals. Smart!

On 6/10/2016 at 7:09 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Thinking about EUC Extreme and off-roading in general, I wonder whether some sort of quick release shoe clip would come in handy like those rat traps you see some bicyclists use.

DSC02482.JPG

If you've never seen these, they allow you to insert your shoe into them and have a little front and top portion that helps keep your position on the pedal.  In the above photo, it's upside down as it's top heavy.

For EUC usage, these would be a bit dangerous as your feet would be locked into the pedals so I was thinking of maybe some sort of ski binding like clip where the shoe can be locked into the pedal, but upon enough force they can be released.  Tightness settings could be applied just like on a ski.  I've gone over some bumps on regular sidewalks which have made my feet shift position.  I don't know how serious off-roaders keep their feet on the pedals while hitting a lot of bumps.  @EUC Extreme do you have Velcro taped onto the bottom of your shoes?  ;)  Or do placing those spiked screws on the pedal and grip tape help enough to avoid slipping off?

Not me, I prefer to fall on my face on my own without my feet being locked in.  I tripped on a ramp lip once and it was like a slow motion fall as I knew I was going down and put an arm out to catch myself and even only falling a little over ground level the force was magnified and I almost broke my wrist.:huh:WTF?

Looking at @EUC Extreme pedal setup depicted in the photo he provided in this thread it appears he drilled and tapped his pedals then inserted socket set screws. This high profile really grips into the bottom of his shoes for no slippage. Unfortunately for NB1 owners we suffer from honeycomb core syndrome...great for diminishing weight but lacking in structural integrity to adequately tap holes. Have some components coming to experiment with. Ideas?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Found it!

I think these screws help reduce slippage, but how about air time when your feet actually leave the pedal surface?  Isn't that a big problem when tackling large bumps?   While going over some sidewalk seams I noticed that I got a little air which shifted my feet a little, but I was able to move them back.  When the bumps are constant I would have thought a little more grip to reduce foot to pedal separation would be beneficial. Then again I don't do hardcore off-roading so my experience is limited.

I squeeze the device jumps between my legs a bit.
It works well.
On the other hand, skateboard is not in any way attached to the legs and jump to it too :)
Myself I do not want that the EUC is attached to the legs in any way.
Rolling over it can be a sad :)

Now I see it has already been found, sorrry

This thread shows  pedal studs that work on the ninebot.

I have been using them and they grip like  there is no tomorrow.

They are not for people who like to shuffle and slip around on their footplates.

Jer

@EUC Extreme After looking at the NB1 pedals closer it appears that the honeycomb splines do not have enough wall thickness to accept threads for studs. Your pedals appear solid. I am thinking of epoxying in 1/4" aluminum bars between the spines in strategic areas that will then provide the adequate strength to tap holes into. The thin cover plate positioned over the cast aluminum pedals is extremely weak and I would not trust tapping into it.

@jer Did you tap into the main structure of the pedals or just the aluminum footplate cover?

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@jer Did you tap into the main structure of the pedals or just the aluminum footplate cover?

No they replace the existing screws that hold the plate down.

It doesn't take long.

Jer

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@jer Very good. Many thanks. Are you happy with the non slippage results?

I am in the, I like my feet glued to the pedal camp.

In this regard the pedal pins work splendidly.

PS thanks to Aceface for inventing the mod/

It should be called the ace mod

It is best to get the actual ones if you can, similiar looking ones may not cut the mustard

Jer

Ok.... I have finally added some pedal grip treads to my NB1. They were fabricated from stamp aluminum anti slip outdoor stair treads. Once cut to shape I then removed the aluminum footplate covers, drilled and riveted the 4 treads (2 each side)  onto the plates while providing clearance for the foot plate cover screws as I still wanted the ability to remove the cover plates at will. I elected not to add a third row of treads in the middle as I still wanted to be able to shift my feet somewhat. In stance most of the weight placed on our feet is displaced mainly between the forefoot and hindfoot so I elected to secure the treads in those regions. They are very comfortable and now my feet feel secure on the pedals.

IMG_3431.jpg

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ok.... I have finally added some pedal grip treads to my NB1. They were fabricated from stamp aluminum anti slip outdoor stair treads. Once cut to shape I then removed the aluminum footplate covers, drilled and riveted the 4 treads (2 each side)  onto the plates while providing clearance for the foot plate cover screws as I still wanted the ability to remove the cover plates at will. I elected not to add a third row of treads in the middle as I still wanted to be able to shift my feet somewhat. In stance most of the weight placed on our feet is displaced mainly between the forefoot and hindfoot so I elected to secure the treads in those regions. They are very comfortable and now my feet feel secure on the pedals.

IMG_3431.jpg

@Rehab1 that looks like an excellent mod.  Could you post some closeups and different angles?  Also the padding you have looks very good too.  Where did you get that?  Sorry if you already posted that and I might have missed it.

@steve454 thank you Steve! I purchased the tread material and padding from amazon. The padding is just double face taped on. Let me know what type or angle photo you would like and i will certainly try to accommodate

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NOLGWPY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012ZQPI44/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Update: looks like the company is out of black. Sorry

image.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2016 at 7:09 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

DSC02482.JPG

It amazes me that Anyone who has ever actually ridden a euc would consider attaching their foot to the peddle.

Falls from an euc are NOT the same as any other vehicle.

You need to have Zero delay, Zero resistance removing, adjusting, sliding or raising your feet instantly.

The Cut Out.

No warning, no see it coming, no shifting of your feet. No release.

The euc Goes LIMP instantaneously. No chance to "release" foot. Add 2 broken mangled legs to your list of falling, rolling, flopping, twisting injuries.

DEATH TRAP.

I don't even have Sand Paper grip on mine.

EUC Extreme is not your every day rider.  Maybe think of how skis have bindings that release during a fall, but they keep the ski attached during normal usage.  This was a hypothetical thought exercise to see whether there would be some benefit from a physical connection to the wheel.  If one is riding hardcore and getting air time over bumps on a regular basis, it certainly isn't too far fetched to try to think of something to keep the rider attached to the wheel and maybe only release during a fall. 

I've had situations where I went through a dip too quickly and got some air time with my feet landing in a bad position on the pedals.  I managed to reposition them in time, but it was pretty alarming.

Archived