IPS A130 Small Review

fearedbliss

So I purchased a IPS A130 from @Jason McNeil since I wanted a lighter wheel that I could take to places while I'm going up/down the stairs in the MTA train system without killing my back (KS 14C is 30 pounds, this one is 19 pounds), It came in 3 days from Miami (I'm in New York). So the shipping was pretty fast, Jason also has excellent communication.

I rode it yesterday and today for about 15 miles I would say (including night riding and it was raining yesterday). This small 12" wheel is a beast. I almost never fell like I was going to fall down, and I was definitely maxing out the speed constantly since I'm use to riding at 15 mph while having an extra 5 mph buffer with my KS 14C". I also heard the beeper ringing all the time, but I mostly ignore it since I have a good feel for EUs and when they are at risk of overleaning (And I listen to music whole riding).

The motor is very strong for a 12" in wheel, the speed is good as well, only 11 mph, but when you are riding on a small wheel, you feel like you are going fast. The tire size is not really a problem, just gotta pay attention. The pedals are big enough, but could be a bit bigger. The worst thing about this wheel I would say is that the pedals are way too low. It is very hard to do a turn (And sharp turns are almost impossible without first stopping and then at the last moment using your hips to do a rotation of the wheel). I almost fell because I was gonna do a sharp turn (As I usually do on my KS 14C and then I remember at the last moment - while the pedals also just touched the floor - that the pedal level was way too low). Also night riding on the wheel is pretty much a no-no as it would be with any way that didn't have lights. I road the wheel at night for 3 miles with some of my bike headlights/taillights that I use to have for my Ninebot One E+, and yea.. I almost got no lighting due to the angle of the lights. I can't ride EUs anymore if they don't have built in light. The pedals also don't have any sort or rubber so you need to be careful if it rains (You can put grip tape on it or something else if you want to enhance the grip).

One of the weird things that I noticed and that also makes it riding a little bit more difficult is that the pedals aren't completely 50/50 to the floor. When you power it on, the front side would tilt down and the back would tilt up. If you try to ride it with the side that tilts up, your feet will hurt and burn pretty fast. If you ride with the side that tilts down, it is MUCH more comfortable, and the pedals actually reach a 50/50 stance if you are going faster (Since the pedals are tilting up because you are reaching higher speeds and it is warning), however when you slow down or come to a full stop, the pedals will tilt back down and it makes it difficult to start riding the wheel again if the street light changes. Reason for this is as I said, if you are at a street light at full stop and the sidewalk ramp is going down, and your pedals are also tilting down, you will end up feeling like you are just going to fall off the wheel, but in reality you are not since the wheel is strong enough to not let you fall.. however it is very annoying and unpractical. I was checking to see if there is a way I can calibrate it but I haven't found anything. By the way, the tilt angle at full stop feels like a 35/65 split with 35 being the angle when you are at full stop.

I would say the battery lasts about 9-10 miles. It's a good enough distance if you are just planning on doing short commutes.

Overall, this is a solid and pretty lightweight wheel. If you are going to be riding for short distances and you carry your charger with you, you should be fine with it. If you are over 65 kg (I'm 59 kg), I would say this is not a wheel for you. If you have kids that you want to teach, or want to do tricks on it, or if you just want to have a light wheel around for rapid trips, this is a good wheel. If you are looking to have long distance and fast speeds, and a comfortable ride (Pedals), then this is not the wheel to buy.

I won't be using this wheel as much as I thought I was going to be so I'm probably going to end up buying an IPS Zero or the Inmotion V5F+ (or maybe I'll just stay with KS 14C), but I'm leaning more towards another purchase since I need a lighter (lighter than KS 14C) but definitely a bigger more comfortable wheel (than the A130).

- Jonathan

So , @fearedbliss was kind enough to let me try his new wheel yesterday.

i have to say that i dont fully share his sentiment, and i think he is beginning to come to his senses also :) Once you know better it's hard to accept anything less than...the feel of the ips a130 reminded me of the way solowheel classic rides ( not the wheel size of course but rather the way it leans, yields to a lean, and balances you out) under my 100kg it felt quite unstable unless you dont accelerate much, the pedals were very small compared to kingsong, and the inability to accelerate to a decent speed was killing me. Of course possible to get used to it and the weight of the wheel was good but since there is no way to attach a trolley handle, one will face having to carry it all the time as opposed to rolling. The only advantage to carrying is up and down stairs. Yes the size is smaller but not that much smaller as to make the deal for me and the limited range is a bummer.

Good manouverability due to low weight and size, but canit handle rapid accelerations when one is flying around pedestrians? Not sure. The wheel  hAs its uses of course and there may be the right choice for certain audience,  might be good for travelling purposes. everything in comparison

like fearedbliss said, this is probably not a wheel for heavier people who have been exposed to the benefits of an increased range ,speed and comfort of bigger pedals. 

2 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

I won't be using this wheel as much as I thought I was going to be so I'm probably going to end up buying an IPS Zero or the Inmotion V5F+ (

The Zero is very light at 10.7kgs (340wh). I has a very thin profile which looks like a round suitcase when carried. The motor is powerful enough when ridden at moderate speeds and it's co cute like  a toy. :)

Great feedback and comparison. I've wondered about the A130 and have been intrigued by the light weight and smaller dimensions. I consider myself lucky that my IPS Zero 340wh and King Song 14C seem to form the perfect combination of portability and power. My KS-14C serves me well on my 12-mile daily commute, never leaves me wanting more range, speed or power. The Zero excels at grab-and-go, and can keep up with the King Song in almost all cases unless I really push. 

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

The Zero is very light at 10.7kgs (340wh). I has a very thin profile which looks like a round suitcase when carried. The motor is powerful enough when ridden at moderate speeds and it's co cute like  a toy. :)

2 minutes ago, who_the said:

Great feedback and comparison. I've wondered about the A130 and have been intrigued by the light weight and smaller dimensions. I consider myself lucky that my IPS Zero 340wh and King Song 14C seem to form the perfect combination of portability and power. My KS-14C serves me well on my 12-mile daily commute, never leaves me wanting more range, speed or power. The Zero excels at grab-and-go, and can keep up with the King Song in almost all cases unless I really push. 

Ive been telling @fearedbliss to get the zero instead, but he wouldnt listen :) perhaps with your feedback he will sell his a130 and continue playing the big league :) 

Back in November we ordered 20x IPS Zeros with the LG HG2 cells. When they arrived, Customs had an issue with the UL (Underwriter Labs) mark on the chargers—the chargers had passed the UL certification but the sticker didn't have the correct markings..., they have been held with Customs for nearly six months.... :( However, last week received communication they finally might be released any day now, fingers crossed.. :rolleyes:

The a130 was intended to fill the demand for an entry level Wheel that won't kill the rider. Like the Zeros that are with Customs, these too have the HG2 cells.
In the below video I have a peak power comparison of the AirWheel X3 and our special a130s flavour. X3 contains the Sony V3 cells & can output 1000W max—which is pretty decent—but the a130 blows it away with 1550W peak power 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjLUtDM3U5a

This was the first time I had a datalogger connected to an Airwheel. It's interesting that the peak power pulses from 650W to 1000W despite there being a continuous load. I wonder if this is either detrimental or beneficial to safety of the Wheel, guess the peak should actually be considered 850W peak then.

It also might be possible to raise the pedals on the a130, will be experimenting later this evening....

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjVWlQVTA0Q

@Jason McNeilI think it would be hard to raise the pedals without cutting off some of the metal, but if done, it would be a huge usability boost. Do you know if it is possible to calibrate it? I would like if the pedals were 50/50 or 45/55 when not in motion.

I still love my A130, even though I'm 75kg - I quite often use it for short trips and for exercising at home when I feel like it :) 
see below the old review.

@fearedbliss - my pedals are horizontal since day one, probably your wheel needs calibration, but I don't know how to do this 

@TwixFix is doing some wondrous things with his a130. Incredibly he's managed to fit another 16 HG2 cells in the shell for a combined 32 cells. 

Last evening I asked about his thoughts for raising the pedals on the Wheel, if he had considered raising them. A couple hours later he sent me this :) 
There are a couple people on this forum who should offer their services as Consulting Engineers to the Wheel makers... They [mfgs] have a lot to learn from them [resident experts].

TwinFix's machined support braceuc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjLWFmT3A2c

After the brace is cut to size

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjeVA3X2VOb

Fitted with the pedal shaft

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjS0JSVFlaM

TwinFix's custom battery pack:

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjUEttdzVzS

Space above the control-board:

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjQWkxSV92R

After installing the additional cellsuc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjdzlrdlAxS

Update 2: a130 Pedal Raise Mini-Project 

Thanks to @TwixFix for his 3D printed braces raising the pedals to the second notch on the pedal arm, they worked a charm :) Those additional 2cm of pedal height really make a difference for tight turns! I'm going to ask IPS if they can produce a quantity of these braces for existing & future a130 customers. 

A small section of the lower part of the shell needs to be cut off, there is still enough of it left for all three bolts to screw into the arm.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjdTF0enJjZ

Handily the plastic is raised where it is to be cut, no markings necessary. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjYktfUWJzW

Shows the supporting brace in the upper & modified shell.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjSkJjWGN3b

A contrast photos: see it's not massive, but enough to make a difference

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjQ1cwdl9ST

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
16 hours ago, RideMc said:

Anybody have a link to the use manual?

You have asked this before without success, there does not appear to be an electronic copy of the A130 manual available, there is an IPS generic one, which may well be all that was provided for the A130, here:http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/blog/ips-electric-unicycle-english-manual/ also here it is downloadable as a PDF:http://www.amh.at/pdf/IPS111_Manual_Gebrauchsanweisung.pdf

Do bear in mind that usually these manuals run to about 2 pages and tell you little more than wear safety gear and don't ride if you are over 60 or under 14 or if it's raining!

Why not tell us what it is that you need to know?

Archived