IPS A130 Small Review

fearedbliss

So , @fearedbliss was kind enough to let me try his new wheel yesterday.

i have to say that i dont fully share his sentiment, and i think he is beginning to come to his senses also :) Once you know better it's hard to accept anything less than...the feel of the ips a130 reminded me of the way solowheel classic rides ( not the wheel size of course but rather the way it leans, yields to a lean, and balances you out) under my 100kg it felt quite unstable unless you dont accelerate much, the pedals were very small compared to kingsong, and the inability to accelerate to a decent speed was killing me. Of course possible to get used to it and the weight of the wheel was good but since there is no way to attach a trolley handle, one will face having to carry it all the time as opposed to rolling. The only advantage to carrying is up and down stairs. Yes the size is smaller but not that much smaller as to make the deal for me and the limited range is a bummer.

Good manouverability due to low weight and size, but canit handle rapid accelerations when one is flying around pedestrians? Not sure. The wheel  hAs its uses of course and there may be the right choice for certain audience,  might be good for travelling purposes. everything in comparison

like fearedbliss said, this is probably not a wheel for heavier people who have been exposed to the benefits of an increased range ,speed and comfort of bigger pedals. 

Edited by Cloud
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

I won't be using this wheel as much as I thought I was going to be so I'm probably going to end up buying an IPS Zero or the Inmotion V5F+ (

The Zero is very light at 10.7kgs (340wh). I has a very thin profile which looks like a round suitcase when carried. The motor is powerful enough when ridden at moderate speeds and it's co cute like  a toy. :)

• Upvote 2

Great feedback and comparison. I've wondered about the A130 and have been intrigued by the light weight and smaller dimensions. I consider myself lucky that my IPS Zero 340wh and King Song 14C seem to form the perfect combination of portability and power. My KS-14C serves me well on my 12-mile daily commute, never leaves me wanting more range, speed or power. The Zero excels at grab-and-go, and can keep up with the King Song in almost all cases unless I really push. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

The Zero is very light at 10.7kgs (340wh). I has a very thin profile which looks like a round suitcase when carried. The motor is powerful enough when ridden at moderate speeds and it's co cute like  a toy. :)

2 minutes ago, who_the said:

Great feedback and comparison. I've wondered about the A130 and have been intrigued by the light weight and smaller dimensions. I consider myself lucky that my IPS Zero 340wh and King Song 14C seem to form the perfect combination of portability and power. My KS-14C serves me well on my 12-mile daily commute, never leaves me wanting more range, speed or power. The Zero excels at grab-and-go, and can keep up with the King Song in almost all cases unless I really push. 

Ive been telling @fearedbliss to get the zero instead, but he wouldnt listen :) perhaps with your feedback he will sell his a130 and continue playing the big league :) 

• Upvote 1

Back in November we ordered 20x IPS Zeros with the LG HG2 cells. When they arrived, Customs had an issue with the UL (Underwriter Labs) mark on the chargers—the chargers had passed the UL certification but the sticker didn't have the correct markings..., they have been held with Customs for nearly six months.... :( However, last week received communication they finally might be released any day now, fingers crossed.. :rolleyes:

The a130 was intended to fill the demand for an entry level Wheel that won't kill the rider. Like the Zeros that are with Customs, these too have the HG2 cells.
In the below video I have a peak power comparison of the AirWheel X3 and our special a130s flavour. X3 contains the Sony V3 cells & can output 1000W max—which is pretty decent—but the a130 blows it away with 1550W peak power 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjLUtDM3U5a

This was the first time I had a datalogger connected to an Airwheel. It's interesting that the peak power pulses from 650W to 1000W despite there being a continuous load. I wonder if this is either detrimental or beneficial to safety of the Wheel, guess the peak should actually be considered 850W peak then.

It also might be possible to raise the pedals on the a130, will be experimenting later this evening....

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjVWlQVTA0Q

• Upvote 2

I still love my A130, even though I'm 75kg - I quite often use it for short trips and for exercising at home when I feel like it :) 
see below the old review.

@fearedbliss - my pedals are horizontal since day one, probably your wheel needs calibration, but I don't know how to do this 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
16 hours ago, RideMc said:

Anybody have a link to the use manual?

You have asked this before without success, there does not appear to be an electronic copy of the A130 manual available, there is an IPS generic one, which may well be all that was provided for the A130, here:http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/blog/ips-electric-unicycle-english-manual/ also here it is downloadable as a PDF:http://www.amh.at/pdf/IPS111_Manual_Gebrauchsanweisung.pdf

Do bear in mind that usually these manuals run to about 2 pages and tell you little more than wear safety gear and don't ride if you are over 60 or under 14 or if it's raining!

Why not tell us what it is that you need to know?

• Upvote 2