Face Plant by Wheel size

Chuts

Face Plant by Wheel Size.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What size of wheel have you face planted on? Tick all that apply.

• 14" Face Plant
    • 14" Run Off
    • 16" Face Plant
    • 16" Run Off
    • 18" Face Plant
    • 18" Run Off

Yay, another poll...

Almost every rider out there has face planted while riding their EUs at some point.  A few haven't and may never will.  I want to know if there is a wheel size people face plant more with than others.  If you have managed to run off from one also tick which ones.

The main reason for this is that I generally get the impression that more people seem to have accidents with the 14" than the 18".  Although this could be that the vast majority of people own the 14" type.

My theory in this is that as the 14" is so light and wheel diameter is smaller, when the engine does fail do people actually have lesser time to react than a hulking 18".

The only time my generic 14" wheel failed was when the tire was a bit deflated (I hadn't inflated it since I got it new 8 months ago), and when my battery was about half full.  I was trying to go up a moderately inclined pathway, and although it was slow going, about halfway up I felt the wheel pedals go limp, and I stumbled off.  After resetting it, I was able to complete the climb and shortly returned home the same way.

I did the same climb with a fully inflated tire and fresh battery, and it was no problem.

1) I have faceplanted on a 18", due to very slippery pedals/shoes while riding in the rain. The tire grip to the road was great thou.

2) I have faceplanted on a 14" due to overspeeding cutoff. Clear weather and dry road.

*Overall, the 14" has proven to be the more dangerous wheel by far. Way easier to have accidents on it due to low height pedals, and lesser off-road capability. Most of my accidents have been on the 14".

I also will have a 16" soon. Fun!

I voted for Face plant on a 14 in. Actually it was a "Butt" plant. Strangely my generic TGF3 shot under my feet like a bullet smashing my butt ( no harm) and my iPad ( harm...just over 859 pieces). This is all going may be 5 mph on a flat road with plenty of battery. Just couldn't figure it out even today. Amused to realize that a cheap generic has that much oomph stored in it....like a domestic cat turned into a mighty tiger for couple of seconds and then become normal as if nothing happened. 

These numbers must be adjusted by the % of these wheels as this: the faceplant chance for 16" = (# of face plants on 16" )/( total miles driven on 16") to get faceplants per mile.

More detailed info should be chance of faceplanting per mile for off road, on paved road, on sidewalk etc. 

I ve faceplanted on a 18 due to going at a decent speed on a low battery - wheel couldnt provide apenough balance and dove.

ive faceplanted on a 14 several times - one due to the battery fuses burning, a few times due to my own mistake and one time for an unknown reason.

I have faceplant mostly on 14 because it was my beginner wheel and I pushed it but It woudl have been the 16  if I started with it.
it was my fault all the time, I did stuff that the manual says not to do.

6 hours ago, Gimlet said:

As 18 and 16 inch wheels are less common than 14 inch you are bound to get a higher number of accidents on them.

I've considered this, still should be able to work out averages within each group. :)

Humm... Even with this small sample size it clearly shows the opposite of what I thought.  It seems that people find it easier to run from 14" EU than that of 18".  Kinda surprised by this.

2 hours ago, Chuts said:

Humm... Even with this small sample size it clearly shows the opposite of what I thought.  It seems that people find it easier to run from 14" EU than that of 18".  Kinda surprised by this.

It is easier to run off a fall from a 14, but getting ejected on 14" wheels is common. Falling from a 18 is pretty rare due to its ability to just roll over bumps.

Eventually falling off from a 14 is guaranteed. The 18 is safer, in my experience.

@chuts

there's probably a selection bias, the bigger wheels are more present, usually more powerfull, ride a higher speeds, etc. so more likely to FP

When negotiating sidewalks and other low barriers, the bigger wheels have the advantage.....except if you know how to jump with the smaller lighter wheels

• 2 weeks later...

Pushing past the beep warnings on my 14" Freeman at over 18kmph. Twice on grass and once in the street at night. Not a big deal though because 18-20kmph is waaaaaaay too slow for a face plant in my opinion anyway. FP from a bump is a whole different thing because your usually not ready for it, where as when you are over beeping your wheel (if you know it well enough) you can always feel the wheel start to give out or the pedals start to sink before your sprint for safety. lol.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2016 at 8:08 AM, Chuts said:

The main reason for this is that I generally get the impression that more people seem to have accidents with the 14" than the 18".  Although this could be that the vast majority of people own the 14" type.

Or that there are more 14" generic wheels than 18" generic wheels out there, which makes a 14" cut out more likely even after adjustment. 

On 5/2/2016 at 8:08 AM, Chuts said:

My theory in this is that as the 14" is so light and wheel diameter is smaller, when the engine does fail do people actually have lesser time to react than a hulking 18".

Or that the 14" (generic) wheels are slower which makes it much more likely to run off a cut out. 

Archived