Any Inherent danger of Power Pads?

Has any rider with power pads on their wheels experience this while falling? I was riding on my Veteran Sherman S along a trail and loss control. I and my wheel fell over. My right foot was momentarily trapped by my power pad. In the split of a second or shorter, I said to myself while falling, "I hope my foot wouldn't be caught/trapped in the pads. If it does, my ankle could be broken." Fortunately, my ankle at the right moment, at the right angle popped out of the pad. If someone were riding at a high speed and happened to fall, can the force of falling and twisting of the wheel break an ankle? Is this a concern or something to think about for riders using power pads? Or when choosing the kind of power pads and their placement on the wheel?

More probably the pad can hold your foot and prevent you from stepping down the wheel in low speed fall and thus force you to fall face down.

I find, however, that my feet are never trapped by the pads in reality when falling.

As for falling during high speed riding, your ankles are the last thing to worry about. I would rather care not to hit something and get my neck broken.

Edited by Aztek

haha, i had a v13 squirt out from underneath me unexpectedly, and as i laid there on the ground, with the v13 still pinning my right leg to the ground, 

haha, hell yes, esp the 120 pound v13. i had to sit up and lift it off my leg.

pro tip: if u do go down, unless a car is coming or a buffalo, just lay there and assess the situation. like i might have hurt myself worse by jerking my leg out.

17 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

Has any rider with power pads on their wheels experience this while falling? I was riding on my Veteran Sherman S along a trail and loss control. I and my wheel fell over. My right foot was momentarily trapped by my power pad. In the split of a second or shorter, I said to myself while falling, "I hope my foot wouldn't be caught/trapped in the pads. If it does, my ankle could be broken." Fortunately, my ankle at the right moment, at the right angle popped out of the pad. If someone were riding at a high speed and happened to fall, can the force of falling and twisting of the wheel break an ankle? Is this a concern or something to think about for riders using power pads? Or when choosing the kind of power pads and their placement on the wheel?

I had your situation during my accident last year, my ankles were able to come out of the pads, fortunately. I had a single broken shoulder and a broken finger on one hand, months to repair, today I can ride with and without (lol) the wheel, I have regained my flexibility.I still use pads for light assistance, it's braking and acceleration assistance, but they still have enough space available between me and them.

Personally I prefer to ride without power pads.As you mention there is a risk to stay locked into the wheel especially if you have the mounted tightly.

In the old days it was easy to over power an EUC. But they have become more powerful, yet demanding high power at very slow speed put you at risk still depending on situation. This can happen on rough off road riding.

But also if you are going downhill while breaking hard on a fully charged battery. And this brings me into the other scenario that I want to avoid. Riding aggressive and have to super emergency brake and putting too much force on the wheel. I am not saying it will shut down, but I have no knowledge or experience in what is too hard to brake on my new wheel. And at speed in an emergency suprise situation there is less time to think and act smart and react to how the situation plays out. And in this case you could see being locked in to the EauC might save other from a tumbling EUC, or that this puts you at higher risk to sustain injuries.

So my point is power pads are adding to the chance that things go really bad when it goes bad.That said it could help you out of a situation too, it depends. IAM not a fan of reckless riding, as it aggressive and risk taking and high speed in thighs spaces, as this leaves you with little escape options.

But I have added pads to my V14. But the are a very loose fit to my stance. This was they are more of an plan B.

• Like 3

My "power pads" are flat blue foam rubber sheets cut from a camping roll and velcro'd on just like regular power pads. That gives a bit of cushion and friction and keeps me in touch with the wheel, but allows me to adjust my lower body however I want during the ride and they are totally out of the way if I need to jump off for some reason.

Having something vertical to use as leverage against acceleration is wonderful, so without getting locked in, at least having something there provide a whole new dimension of input.

Even us paddles riders of course do sometimes grab the wheel to get more leverage in tight spots but we mostly ride free floating the wheel between our legs. Some soft material that adds grip is good to have. But these modern big pads are really not needed for most riders and especially newbies. 

Here’s my setup. I added those grey pads to make it more comfortable when sitting and to cover the metal part from seat (hits my knee). But these can help when I need to grab the wheel with my knees if I need leverage. They are not in the way when sitting and I’m not trapped in them. I highly recommend this kind of setup for most riders unless you’re riding competitively or know exactly what you need the big versions for. At least learn to ride without them if you haven’t already. It makes you a better rider. 

IMG_7126.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

With experience you get your feet out very fast as a reaction, I ride a lot of technical off-road and the only time I would get surprised is from pedal clip which doesn't happen that much anymore (also experience).

The value of pads doing that sorta riding is invaluable.

• Like 1

I use original KS18XL pads and have never experienced a situation where i wasn't in control of wheel.

Have ridden even without those black pillows sometimes - like when i have finished working on wheel and gone for a test ride, before taping them back on. (ks18xl pads don't give anything useful to ridder anyways. More or less just for show..) I can't imagine not being available to move my feet around on pedals.. Also easy mount/dismount. If nothing else those "big" power pads only get in the way.

As @UniVehje said:

47 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Even us paddles riders of course do sometimes grab the wheel to get more leverage in tight spots but we mostly ride free floating the wheel between our legs.

Pads are only really needed for off-roading and jumping. Simple commuting on smooth road - unnecessary. Sure unseen pothole, etc.. they may/will save you. But you need to be looking where you are going in first place..

Jump pads would be more of an issue in getting your feet locked in than power pads that don't look your feet in. I just got an 18XLV2: spiked pedals and mini-power pads in the form of protrusions at the front and back of the upper pads, which won't lock your feet in. The spiked pedals would be more of a factor.

ks18lv2.jpg.9cb2dbbd9c5a32d838658454bc19555f.jpg

Posted (edited)

Adam from Wrong Way has suggested that NylonNove pads are safer than most others because they detach with high forces. He even has a recent example of this. See the following video where he hits a root.

(Link because embed doesn't seem to be working)

Now, I doubt that this is foolproof, as slow crashes might not provide the force needed to detach a pad in an emergency. However, Rawnei is also right in that, with practice, you can habitually bail when a crash is imminent. There's video of me doing a tuck and roll after slipping in mud, and even without experience I was ready to bail. Of course, there's no guarantee of anything. However, if anything, pads can help you stop with more force, keep your feet as planted as possible in the event of a pot hole, and you can combine all of that to help you avoid emergency situations as best as possible. Think of pads as empowering, with benefits that outweigh the risks somewhat better than going without pads (given less safe commuting contexts).

Edited by Duster
Embed doesn't seem to be working, so I added a link instead.

A local rider going down stairs lost control and broke their leg because they were too locked-in with pads and couldn't disengage.

It's great that the wheel performance has improved and over-power cutouts are less common, however, as wheels get bigger and heavier they require more rider input force to accelerate and brake - pads have become a necessity to access all that power you've paid for.

Personally, I prefer riding lighter wheels that don't require pads to control.
On more than one occasion I've been able to run off situations that would have been a face-plant crash if I were locked in (sudden stops due to roots, potholes or dog attacks)
Respect the beeps and overpowering shouldn't be an issue.

Additional disadvantages of pads:

• prevent the pedals from folding up fully
  • increase the width of the wheel
  • wider profile can't store in narrow spaces
  • more difficult to place wheel on its side (transporting in a trunk)
  • jab into you when carrying the wheel
  • jab into walls when leaning against
  • get in the way of seated riding
  • additional cost
  • additional set-up time
  • set-up configured to one set of gear
  • makes wheel less shareable
  • aesthetically questionable in a formal environment

There's no denying that pads provide better control of the wheel.
It's up to each rider to determine whether or not the trade-offs are worth it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Duster said:

Adam from Wrong Way has suggested that NylonNove pads are safer than most others because they detach with high forces. He even has a recent example of this. See the following video where he hits a root.

What's the point of power pads that comes off easily mid ride... Are they only for looks? One should be available to jump and pick up the wheel by pads.

Imagine they come off mid emergency braking... Or even while accelerating - faceplant.

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My pads aren’t going anywhere without a ton of work on my part…….   
My Men10 4 has Kai pads and my v11 and Sherman S both have grizzlas. 
I can close my pedals no problem. 
They have absolutely kept me on my wheel in many unforeseen situations. I feel much safer with pads, but I do think it comes down to size of wheel and use case. Of the crashes I’ve had I don’t think my pads ever caused me an injury. 🤞🏻 I could get by without them on my m10, (I like jumping over bumps) but a bigger wheel I definitely want pads. You padless riders are nuts. 🤣

Edited by Hellkitten

12 hours ago, Rawnei said:

With experience you get your feet out very fast as a reaction,

I'm actually hoping to avoid getting too much such experience. 

• Like 1