What is your perception of the EUC community?

Just the other day, Wheel Good Time, posted his educational video about dealing with wobbles on the EUC org forum Facebook group and had a few trolls come out. 

I've heard that Zen Lee was having issues with the community some years back, considering selling his wheels and moving on, before going to Spain and doing his thing there. 

While I fully acknowledge that this is the internet and it's how dudes often treat each other in relatively unmoderated spaces, I am hoping to hear your perspective or insight, especially issues or themes that may be specific to us. 

I may not the most sociable person myself at times, so perhaps EUC tends to attract a certain type of individual?

• Like 2

Haven't been here that long, but despite the shorter time have already noticed that learning to ride the wheel and "having fun" is no longer a (the) big deal.  The big thing now is speed and performance and speed.   And as someone else has so wisely said, and I hereby allow myself to write backwards; "The demand for more top speed seems to correlate with Bad behaviour."

• Upvote 1

I am not a fan of the EUC FB group, nor was I a fan of this educational clip. Neither is my cup of tea. It has probably less to do with EUCs and more to do with the human psychology of wanting to become an influencer and, as @UniVehje pointed out, testosterone. Or, as a wise man (Scott Alexander) recently wrote in a different context: "Advice is disproportionately written by defective people." which is a pretty strange insight into this world.

Edited by Mono
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

To accept riding a one wheeled contraption, and for some, at high speed, you must be a bit on the weird side of things. Its a given.

When i started reviewing actively wheels a few years ago, i faced hard online bullying and trolling from a small minority of individuals in my own nyc community, often paired with implicit racism.

Also irl the attitude is way different than behind a phone, which shows how insignificant are these online negative interactions.

A lot of us probably began to ride EUC because we may have been lacking some other fulfilment in our lives or perhaps we were trying to escape from some responsibilities in a way. The bullying for them is easy to do behind a screen especially if they are scrolling all day or constantly refreshing the algorithm. Not to mention, everybody has a different idea of what type of riding is optimal or acceptable and a lot of people think they already know best. 

How do you know when the criticism is helpful for you versus when to ignore it?

6 hours ago, Aztek said:

The wheels became much faster and this seems to have attracted different people. Reckless people.

The kind I'm not sure I like that much. It isn't good for the EUCs' public image and will bring us all down (in a way)...

That makes sense, there is much more possibility for reckless behavior with so much more power and speed. Sadly, there will probably be more serious collisions and death which you're right will bring the public image down in a way. Now, more jurisdictions are beginning to introduce e-bike legislation (like in Oregon where a 15 year boy got killed), so I imagine EUC's will become recognized as a legitimate motor vehicle soon.

4 hours ago, Mono said:

I am not a fan of the EUC FB group, nor was I a fan of this educational clip. Neither is my cup of tea. It has probably less to do with EUCs and more to do with the human psychology of wanting to become an influencer and, as @UniVehje pointed out, testosterone. Or, as a wise man (Scott Alexander) recently wrote in a different context: "Advice is disproportionately written by defective people." which is a pretty strange insight into this world.

Is it perhaps that the best way to learn is to teach?

From my perspective, I don't see somebody like Wheel Good Time as an influencer, but rather a content creator. If I were to put myself in his shoes, I see a person who is able to fully immerse himself into his passion and hobby. When he spends time working on EUC content away from the family, he's still able to bring in additional streams of income to support his wife and children. 

4 hours ago, WILSONEUC said:

Sometimes, im assuming, some Euc enthusiasts are just plain assholes - They  had a bad day, had an argument with their loved one, jealous of the creators efforts online, doesn't like the creators face and personality and just want to ruin that person's day. I assume It gets personal at times.

You can't make anyone happy on here and if viewers can make toxic, mean , opinionated comments, I too as the content creator have the power to do whatever i want on my channel. I do not know these people personally in 95% of the time in this enthusiast space other than their social media /forum tag, maybe where they live and what they ride. They do not feed me, pay my rent, buy all my toys and gadgets. If they can make better content, then they can make their own channel. The people who say positive and constructive things have my ear.

That's a good point. It doesn't seem like society is necessarily getting happier day by day. There are a lot of things going wrong in the world and the optimism is not nearly as high as it has been. Especially with wealth inequality and a lot of people feeling squeezed, it adds to the stress level that we all have to deal with. 

I notice that in my YT Shorts, I get a lot of negative comments, teasing, and sometimes harassment from people outside the EUC hobby while in my longer, regular videos I get more support and positive attention. I do accept people's criticism though while still staying true to my own beliefs and values. 

---

Followup question:

How do you all feel about people drinking alcohol and smoking weed at group rides?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleRiderUSA said:

Followup question:

How do you all feel about people drinking alcohol and smoking weed at group rides?

I feel that's the sort of thing that in 10-20 years we'll look at it the same way people now see drunk people on regular bicycles, ebikes etc. Some people like to think that they're above the law in some way, because they are trailblazers and/or a part of a new thing that's still unregulated I guess.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

The speed/recklessness/billy big spuds attitude is the main thing for me. I've never had a hobby where such a high proportion of enthusiasts flex and rate themselves so much and I've had a lot of interests - I've been on numerous forums and met with many people from motorcycles, modified/race cars, RC aircraft, amateur radio, sailing, shooting, archery, airsoft, golf, music production, high end watches, martial arts and numerous others. Not one of them even came close to the self-elevated attitude that I have seen in EUC. And I find it laughable that we have so many 'I did 55mph!! I am da leet!' EUC riders after having being around so many sportsbike/race car pilots where 150mph is slow. In addition the fact that such a high proportion of EUC riders mix this testosterone loaded 'look at me!' attitude with such reckless abandon for everyone else is rather depressing. I ended up jacking it all in like some others because of all this and sold all my wheels. I came back because I loved EUC but not without some big decisions being made about who I ride with. Safe to say I seriously thinned out the numbers as I just couldn't bear seeing (and being associated with) so much inconsideration around me, especially given the legal situation in the UK nor the incessant narcissistic garbage that emanated from said riders mouths. The real funny thing is that the majority of the public think that a power ranger lookalike, blaring trap music on a circus wheel whilst blasting around people/kids is a ridiculous and dangerous pain in the ass yet the riders themselves think they are heros who everyone admires in awe of their talents.

I sound like a right miserable old git I know but it's not like I haven't been exposed to many other groups, all of which were fine aside from the odd few which you are always going to get. It's the proportion of idiots which matter and as I say, EUC in my experience is unique in that regard. All that said, the riders I have settled with are now lifelong friends for sure. Decent, straight-up folk who are considerate, would do anything for anyone and who I would never have met without EUC so I have that to be thankful for :)

I think it all comes from the fact that anyone and everyone, regardless of age, criminal history, permits or lack thereof, can buy a wheel, and ride it almost anywhere at any speeed.  No permits, not a sh*t.  On top of this, we are in the lawless wild west, and it is even seen unfolding somewhere in the middle of big cities... Unfortunately, again a manifestation that it will be necessary to legislate for the amount of thumpers who are not able to think and act responsibly.     Sad, but true.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robse said:

I think it all comes from the fact that anyone and everyone, regardless of age, criminal history, permits or lack thereof, can buy a wheel, and ride it almost anywhere at any speeed.  No permits, not a sh*t.

I think you have nailed it there. Up until the boom of PEV's or even fast ebikes we didn't have much; morons had to take their chances in cars or on motorbikes which, given reg plates, are relatively easily traced/identified so not an easy path to go down and certainly not for recreational use. Now we have 60mph EUC's and 70mph escooters/ebikes the floodgates have opened to all and sundry. Untraceable and with a perception as not being as naughty as jumping into an uninsured/unlicenced car. It's no wonder that idiots are jumping on and simply blasting everywhere as quick as they can because its 'fun'.

9 hours ago, PurpleRiderUSA said:

I don't really have an issue with that as long as it's sensible. I myself will often have a pint at each of the 2 charge stops we normally make during a long ride out. I don't smoke but a guy we ride with likes a good toke but he's very careful about where. We will only ever stop where theres no one around and we're more than happy to do that a few times during a ride out to enable him have a joint with a group chat/rest. It doesn't (appear) to affect his riding ability or his consideration for others so it's all good as far as the rest of us are concerned.

Smoking weed whilst around the public then no, I don't think our riding group would be OK with it, just from the public perception aspect.

• Like 1

Like everything else social media has influenced.. This hobby has become part of that reality. I just tune out most of the social media things. This forum is not a bad place to hang out and talk about this thing we do. 

I pretty much unfollowed all the influencers on instagram, FB and even most on youtube. I only follow a few people who I actually enjoy their stuff and even support the few I really like. Its been a much more pleasant life. Even outside of wheel riding. 

I even started blocking/ignoring people on here who are straight up just looking to be disruptive. 

After like 20 years of social media and internet I am learning you need to curate your own experience a bit.. or fall into the black hole of meaningless stuff the internet provides. It starts off as a blessing and a nice bottomless pit of curiosity.. then turns into a cesspool of negativity at some point. 

Nice topic! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I've never seen a hobby where more enthusiasts are wannabe influencers. Everybody seems to ride with a camera now. 

it is also one of the few pleasures where you can control a vehicle and at the same time have both hands free ;)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Groups of youths around the same age generally think the wheel is very cool and instantly gets 'respect' points from them, until they get to college age, and are in large groups and drunk, in which case sometimes they can get challenging or even confrontational, at which point they are best avoided way in advance.

The part that I am pleasantly surprised about is that there are always a few people from all walks of life that I don't expect to, would genuinely think euc's are cool. These persons can be anyone. Sometimes, I would assume that no way a particular person would care. And after our interaction, I would be pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I have to say, unlike previous years, people on the street don't pay much attention to euc riders anymore. I am now treated like if I were riding a bicycle.

Although, I rarely encounter another euc rider, but when I do, they are usually friendly, and would wave back, or initiate a wave. This is pretty much what I encounter when I am out riding a motorcycle.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I don't know why, but most cyclists round here seem to be miserable bastards in their attitudes towards me ! Which is a shame, because I used to do nice things like go up hills very slowly behind them in solidarity with their struggle, but now, having proved themselves to be 'mostly arseholes' these days I do find a certain joy in powering past them with a more cheeky wave of my own !

my county has hills in it's ne corner and attracts these same cyclists. and they wonder why one dies every other day in florida. they'll ride in groups and completely block the lane. 

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

they'll ride in groups and completely block the lane. 

And that's been going on for quite some time as well - I saw that happen in an episode of Columbo the other day ! William Shatner makes an excellent villain.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PurpleRiderUSA said:

Setting the law aside, it all depends on how these people ride afterwards. For a start, the more mind-altering substances they have taken, the slower they must ride. If that's not a given, it's not for them, IMHO.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

my county has hills in it's ne corner and attracts these same cyclists. and they wonder why one dies every other day in florida. they'll ride in groups and completely block the lane. 

Sport cyclists are probably allowed to do that.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Sport cyclists are probably allowed to do that.

No ;)

But as soon as they put on their spandex pants, any sense and consciousness for the letter of the law evaporates.

OT:

Last year, one of the spandex lunatics was killed in a traffic accident right here in the neighborhood (RIP)  They came riding up a hill in a sharp right turn, 5 men next to each other, using both lanes.  Then, strangely enough, an oncoming car came around the corner...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1