My Inmotion V14 Adventure Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

i know, ur not a tire nerd, the reason i'll never fly boeing. so that's 12psi less than what inmotion recommends.

don't hurt urself, but could u please do ur range test at the manufacturers and the tire  manufacturers recommended tire pressure?

ur running 30% less pressure than u should, so ur mileage will be at least 30% less.

There is no such thing as one tire pressure for everyone. That would be crazy don't you think. I know people who like to ride at 50-psi and some at 20-psi. There is no right answer.

Inmotion also says you shouldn't ride their wheels if you are over 60-years old.

I ride ALL my wheels at 28-psi including the three wheels mentioned above with the graphs. Apples-to-Apples comparison.

I'm not attempting to give absolute range numbers. Only relative range. RELATIVE to the other two wheels I believe the V14 has less range

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

Cool results and comparisons. Thankyou.

I have noticed different wheels use different watt.hours/per kilometer/mile.

Lot of factors will impact this. But the average w.h/km is a good indicator for what the batteries capacity and what the motor draws.

Some devices and apps even store your total watt hours and km travelled giving you a overall life average of what the devices used for your type of riding. These features are cool.

57mils in km 91.7km

47miles in km 75.6km

Commander mini and master

2400wh/57miles = 42.2w.h/mile

2400wh/91.7km = 26.17w.h/km

V14

2400wh/47mils = 51.06w.h/mile

2400wh/75.6km = 31.74w.h/km

Other references,

OG Sherman I get average of 33w.h/km

S22 I get average of 23w.h/km

V13 I noticed similar to s22 results.

Edited by Julianjc84
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There is no such thing as one tire pressure for everyone. That would be crazy don't you think

no i don't. this might help.

don't try running at what inmotion says now with ur broken ankle. u learned on a flat tire. learning or riding is easier on a flat tire. if it wasn't, all the moderators and u wouldn't have suggested it for beginners. i never listened to y'all because the tires couldn't even carry the weight properly inflated, back in 2017-18.unless u were a hundred pound girl.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So far the suspension feels great!

Okey I know you are a Begode-choice of wheels. 

And I also know you like long rides. Both of that matters less to me. 

I rather get some input on how the wheel feels to ride. And how you would compare it to other wheels you have tested. 

The sad part for me is I have none around me I know of that gives me an option to test wheels before buying it. 

So getting input about ride feeling is much more important than range as I very rarely ride 50km on a charge. Also I mostly ride around 30-40km/h or in average 25-30km/h on my street/bike lane rides. So range comparison matter not at all (to me perspnally).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I ride ALL my wheels at 28-psi including the three wheels mentioned above with the graphs. Apples-to-Apples comparison.

I honestly think that is way too simple and not right way to compare. Let me explain. 

Yes you should have similar weight but the wheel do not. Also if you have a large tire by diameter and tire wall and with then the air volume would be very different compared to a small wheel. I am pretty sure a Z10 vs KS16X vs as V8 vs V13 would feel different as same PSI. By feel it comes down to how big a footprint the tire has in contact and how the tire is shaped. 

By shape I mean like a V or U or [_]. For example I have 2 V11 but different tires on them. One of them I need to lean over a lot more to turn. Any sharp turning is almost impossible. Yet both are semi knobby winter tires. 

On a side note on the range I could see that once a wheel has been ridden it might improve a little bit. This is down to tires often wears in after a couple of hundreds km. And it might also get bearing sealing to have less friction. 

And another factor on range tests. Wind and clothes. In my MC suit I get a lot of wind drag due to how air channels works to vent it and how my ride posture is. In very windy conditions I crouch down a bit both for control and less risk in gusting winds. Some places I ride the wind if kinda funneled into cross wind. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'd have thought that psi = psi,   similar to % = % with volume being of little consequence.     Diameter and footprint being the factor that might be different on 2 different wheels.   More important would be the hardness of the rubber of the tyre,  if the psi's and diameter are the same.

Anyway :-)

Thanks for the review Marty!    I like the data format you've used.      wh/km would be a useful metric to know for each  (23-25wh/km for me on V11 MSP2@38psi).
I'm with Unventor,  and I'm interested to hear ride feel comparisons for the suspension.    How it is at removing the small bumps and vibration as well as its ability to soak up the bigger stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I honestly think that is way too simple and not right way to compare. Let me explain. 

Yes you should have similar weight but the wheel do not. Also if you have a large tire by diameter and tire wall and with then the air volume would be very different compared to a small wheel. I am pretty sure a Z10 vs KS16X vs as V8 vs V13 would feel different as same PSI. By feel it comes down to how big a footprint the tire has in contact and how the tire is shaped. 

By shape I mean like a V or U or [_]. For example I have 2 V11 but different tires on them. One of them I need to lean over a lot more to turn. Any sharp turning is almost impossible. Yet both are semi knobby winter tires. 

On a side note on the range I could see that once a wheel has been ridden it might improve a little bit. This is down to tires often wears in after a couple of hundreds km. And it might also get bearing sealing to have less friction. 

And another factor on range tests. Wind and clothes. In my MC suit I get a lot of wind drag due to how air channels works to vent it and how my ride posture is. In very windy conditions I crouch down a bit both for control and less risk in gusting winds. Some places I ride the wind if kinda funneled into cross wind. 

I try my best by maintaining consistent weights, temperatures, routes, etc. It's as good as I can do and I'm probably biased, but I think my range tests are more "scientific" than all the others that I see :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Okey I know you are a Begode-choice of wheels. 

And I also know you like long rides. Both of that matters less to me. 

I rather get some input on how the wheel feels to ride. And how you would compare it to other wheels you have tested. 

The sad part for me is I have none around me I know of that gives me an option to test wheels before buying it. 

So getting input about ride feeling is much more important than range as I very rarely ride 50km on a charge. Also I mostly ride around 30-40km/h or in average 25-30km/h on my street/bike lane rides. So range comparison matter not at all (to me perspnally).

I was doing some more riding today and playing with the suspension. This wheel is absolutely a firmer ride compared to something like the Sherman S or my EX30/Master with the cheaper coil spring. I think it's perfect for "Adventure Rides", such as trails.

With the Compression setting in addition to the rebound adjustment, you can make this ride very stiff (for those big drops) if you want.

If you're looking for the plush ride, look elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

no i don't. this might help.

don't try running at what inmotion says now with ur broken ankle. u learned on a flat tire. learning or riding is easier on a flat tire. if it wasn't, all the moderators and u wouldn't have suggested it for beginners. i never listened to y'all because the tires couldn't even carry the weight properly inflated, back in 2017-18.unless u were a hundred pound girl.

No, I actually didn't learn (2016) on a flat tire :) I learned on 16-inch tires pumped to 45-psi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike E said:

I remember  in one of the promo videos, that there is a high power mode and a long range mode which can be selected in the phone app, if so maybe that will help the range issue ??

I'll look into it but I don't recall seeing an option like that in the app settings.

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

very nice. i have zero interest in this wheel but i'm sure it's great for whatever it's designed for. 

rest up and hurry up and break out the lynx. which i predict will probably stomp v14's sales. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

very nice. i have zero interest in this wheel but i'm sure it's great for whatever it's designed for. 

rest up and hurry up and break out the lynx. which i predict will probably stomp v14's sales. 

Somebody first needs to send me Lynx batteries :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Somebody first needs to send me Lynx batteries :D

do leaperkim wheels ship their batteries separate? my old ks 18s was shipped that way. pita.

would u please for this tire nerd on steroids(started riding motorcycles over 50 years ago, that'll make u a tire nerd)just take a picture of the sidewall pressure and max load pretty please. idk why, on a product, that's named a wheel, only one, and yet seems to be an afterthought with riders, reviewers and manufacturers. i'll buy the lynx but not with a pos tire on it. i already have a nice wheel like that, the s18 with the pos jiluer tire on it. and i don't love the wheel that much to waste my precious time changing the tire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I was doing some more riding today and playing with the suspension. This wheel is absolutely a firmer ride compared to something like the Sherman S or my EX30/Master with the cheaper coil spring. I think it's perfect for "Adventure Rides", such as trails.

With the Compression setting in addition to the rebound adjustment, you can make this ride very stiff (for those big drops) if you want.

If you're looking for the plush ride, look elsewhere.

It might be firmer out of the box butttt you can swap that spring or shock for a softer spring. IM might even offer differen't weights and actually a review of the Adventure in Asia made me think that they will. Fingers crossed! Even if they didn't thought there are definitely aftermarket options. I assume since they say you can swap the shock that it's a standard size.

Edited by Celt26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Celt26 said:

It might be firmer out of the box butttt you can swap that spring or shock for a softer spring. IM might even offer differen't weights and actually a review of the Adventure in Asia made me think that they will. Fingers crossed! Even if they didn't thought there are definitely aftermarket options. I assume since they say you can swap the shock that it's a standard size.

Very true and that's why I'm glad that the V14 has a linkage based suspension. Like Begode wheels, we can more easily customize the suspension. But for those people that don't want to take their wheel apart they should know that it's a stiffer ride.

7 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

200mm i think and they said you can swap it out for aftermarket

Yes, it's a standard shock. Many others will fit the V14.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

91.6-pounds (41.5-kilograms)

So only slightly lighter than a Commander Pro. If the 16/18 inch wheels had 2/3 the weight as well as 2/3 the battery of the suspended 3600Wh wheels they would have a much more compelling case.

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, t0me said:

I'd have thought that psi = psi,   similar to % = % with volume being of little consequence.     Diameter and footprint being the factor that might be different on 2 different wheels.   More important would be the hardness of the rubber of the tyre,  if the psi's and diameter are the same.

I am pretty sure if you take a KS14s at 35 PSI and a old GW 22" at same PSI you will see what I mean. Once you step up the compression of the air volume will be very different leading to as different footprint on the road from the tire. Also how the tire will react to hitting obstacles like a curb or a brance/root. 

Now like I stated range is not that important to me. Especially since Inmotion are more conservative and in general have a higher build in safety margien/headroom compare to GW/Begode brands. So I rather have a little higher battery use for bearing seal to do their job better which I imagine could lead to more friction loss. 

I do understand other might have different priorities. My impression from what we can access right now is that build quality are moving up and is a much better directions with the V14. 

One thing that striked me on your test ride @Marty BackeBacke is the tire noise. Or rather sound. I recall in the "old" days when we talked about static motor noise. But like I argued back then the tire noise is a hidden safety function to me. It works two ways for me. As I ride in many places in shared pedestrian and bike lanes the noise make me easier for people I pass to hear me. But also I use the noise to access my speeds Ince I ride in full face helmet.

@Marty Backe did you see any ride sound simulation similar to the V12? Not that it is a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. 95% I use a bt speaker and can use EUCW awacs otherwise. 

IMG-20231005-WA0004.thumb.jpg.ceeb791dde64467b94ab81cbea172796.jpg

My Klim MC suit have molle attachment points  that I attach my Bose BT speaker (the orange) and it makes alarms easier to hear too. 

I am a little surprised how little light it seems to give off in your night ride part. But I guess that also have to do with riding in black gear. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am pretty sure if you take a KS14s at 35 PSI and a old GW 22" at same PSI you will see what I mean. Once you step up the compression of the air volume will be very different leading to as different footprint on the road from the tire. Also how the tire will react to hitting obstacles like a curb or a brance/root. 

Now like I stated range is not that important to me. Especially since Inmotion are more conservative and in general have a higher build in safety margien/headroom compare to GW/Begode brands. So I rather have a little higher battery use for bearing seal to do their job better which I imagine could lead to more friction loss. 

I do understand other might have different priorities. My impression from what we can access right now is that build quality are moving up and is a much better directions with the V14. 

One thing that striked me on your test ride @Marty BackeBacke is the tire noise. Or rather sound. I recall in the "old" days when we talked about static motor noise. But like I argued back then the tire noise is a hidden safety function to me. It works two ways for me. As I ride in many places in shared pedestrian and bike lanes the noise make me easier for people I pass to hear me. But also I use the noise to access my speeds Ince I ride in full face helmet.

@Marty Backe did you see any ride sound simulation similar to the V12? Not that it is a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. 95% I use a bt speaker and can use EUCW awacs otherwise. 

My Klim MC suit have molle attachment points  that I attach my Bose BT speaker (the orange) and it makes alarms easier to hear too. 

I am a little surprised how little light it seems to give off in your night ride part. But I guess that also have to do with riding in black gear. 

I only rode a V12 for a few blocks so I can't say much about that :)  I do like the sound of this tire (and all knobbies). Totally agree with you that I can judge how fast I'm going based on the sound of the tire, which is a nice bonus :)

This wheel is certainly not for distance riding. And the suspension is on the stiffer side. It's really designed for "adventuring" off-road, big drops, etc.

• Thanks 1