My Inmotion V14 Adventure Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I finally received the replacement V14

Thanks for the update, just so you know. As Jason explained on the v14 thread the firmware updates don't include any update "to not blow motherboards" since inmotion explained the problem was only the hall sensor. The updates include a faster maximum speed on reduced battery levels, an update to remove the motor reliance on the hall sensor after 5kph so a failure wouldn't result in a cutout for added safety. They also altered "soft mode" to soften the pedal some. As well as "tweaked the magnetic field" to optimize range. Look forward in hearing you and your crews opinions about the wheel.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Thanks for the update, just so you know. As Jason explained on the v14 thread the firmware updates don't include any update "to not blow motherboards" since inmotion explained the problem was only the hall sensor. The updates include a faster maximum speed on reduced battery levels, an update to remove the motor reliance on the hall sensor after 5kph so a failure wouldn't result in a cutout for added safety. They also altered "soft mode" to soften the pedal some. As well as "tweaked the magnetic field" to optimize range. Look forward in hearing you and your crews opinions about the wheel.

Thanks. Seems like they should have made a change to prevent the control board from being destroyed when there's a hall sensor failure. But what do I know :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seemingly URGENT SAFETY MESSAGE

Repeating it here just in case it might reach the person who needs to heed the warning.

Please do not JUMP on this version 3.036/3.038 at the moment if you jump the wheel it might fall forward and can be dangerous.

Source

Please be patient while the Inmotion Engineers work on this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Lots of rain in Southern California right now. Perfect time to do a rain test :)

To answer your question about rain rides. 

I don't ride that in general. In rain you have to go much slower for a few reasons. 

Often when it rains more it is also darker so it is much hard to see. You then also notice the surface reflects line of sight so it can be hard to see though the surface of water pools. This means you have 2 hazards underneath. Pot holes and mud pools. 

I once hit a 3“ hole that I didn't know on a V10f so it got stuck and well I didn't. 

The other is fine sand or dirt settles at the buttom of water pools and this makes traction very hard and if that comes at a surprise then you can easy go down. 

If you happens to pass pedestrian marked road crossing, those will often be very slippery especially if you turn hard (like a L) and accelerate a bit. If the tire has a solid center live it is almost as a slick tire. 

In some shade spots you can have algey spots and that can be a nasty surprise. 

Now if you then makes the rain into slud conditions that just makes all of this go up a notch. If it then freezes then you have hard ice and well... 

So instead of using a puncho I prefer using my 3 layered goretex MC suit. 

You get to live with the weather in your area. And now you know why I pushed hard for better weatherproof EUCs. 

Since my V11 I have been able to ride it almost any weather. I am looking forward for my V14 50S. Should come in the weeks time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Perfect time to do a rain test 

Thanks Marty for taking one for the "team" in the rain test,it was a good one for sure. Of course the real test will be a day,a week,a month from now. It's great to see a wheel meant for "outdoor" use. I have ridden my v13 many times in the heavy rain and so far so good on that one as well. You do know they make rain pants and full face helmets don't you...:lol:.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

You do know they make rain pants and full face helmets don't you...:lol:.

The SoCal guys don't need rain gear.

They probably have to do a rain dance before hand to get any precipitation. :)

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another fun video from Marty there...

I occasionally go out in the rain, and do my normal sort of speeds, but I am wearing a full face helmet with visor down (pinlock keeping it mostly clear), which I think makes a big difference to how fast you feel comfortable going when it's teeming down... it's not much fun being smacked in the face by it otherwise !

Thinking back, there was that one time when I got caught out in dense hale and it was just getting dark so couldn't have my TSG tinted visor down without ruining visibility. That one really hurt at anything over 10 mph !

That wheel certainly looks like it's doing very well in all that weather !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Thanks Marty for taking one for the "team" in the rain test,it was a good one for sure. Of course the real test will be a day,a week,a month from now. It's great to see a wheel meant for "outdoor" use. I have ridden my v13 many times in the heavy rain and so far so good on that one as well. You do know they make rain pants and full face helmets don't you...:lol:.

It seldom rains here, mostly only in February and March for short periods. So it only makes sense for me to spend $5 on a poncho vs $$$ for proper rain gear :)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

spend $5 on a poncho vs $$$ for proper rain gear

Home depot sells a rain gear set for $20 I just figured since you ride $3,000 wheels and and do You Tube reviews in the rain, maybe you would be more comfortable as well as being able to "write it off" as a business expense. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Home depot sells a rain gear set for $20 I just figured since you ride $3,000 wheels and and do You Tube reviews in the rain, maybe you would be more comfortable as well as being able to "write it off" as a business expense. :D

When I think riding rain gear, I'm thinking hundreds of dollars. We must have different ideas as to what constitutes "gear" :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Charging Outside?
For some reason I just decided to read the fine print on the stickers applied to the top of the V14

20240208_231336

20240208_231345

Does this sound reasonable from a high quality EUC manufacturer like Inmotion. The last time I checked we're allowed to charge our electric cars while they're in the garage. Our phones. Etc.

I get why they are doing this, but it's lame, IMHO :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Does this sound reasonable from a high quality EUC manufacturer like Inmotion.

It sounds reasonable for all lithium batteries if you want to avoid any possibility of burning a structure down since we know that most fires have happened during the charging phase.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Charging Outside?
For some reason I just decided to read the fine print on the stickers applied to the top of the V14

20240208_231336

20240208_231345

Does this sound reasonable from a high quality EUC manufacturer like Inmotion. The last time I checked we're allowed to charge our electric cars while they're in the garage. Our phones. Etc.

I get why they are doing this, but it's lame, IMHO :)

It does if sold in US how you need to cover you back against lawsuits.

Just as you have to state don't put live animals in microwave owens.

• Haha 2

I'm eager to see how the internals of your V14 are looking after that rainy day.
any rust, bearing noises, or how battery packs are looking ....
there is any moisture that got thought in mainboard area ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

It sounds reasonable for all lithium batteries if you want to avoid any possibility of burning a structure down since we know that most fires have happened during the charging phase.

If it were to be completely correct, then all EUC (and in general all those who sell something with a lithium battery as a power source) manufacturers should boast the following: Do not buy our product if you do not have the opportunity to charge outdoors under controlled conditions.  Do not buy our product if you do not have the opportunity to store the product in a place where it will not be a danger to people, animals and buildings if it spontaneously catches fire or explodes.

If you live in an apartment: Don't buy.  Don't store.   Just don't.

• Like 1