My Inmotion V14 Adventure Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

To unbox it I would imagine you take out the plastic squares on the side then you properly can sliten the outer top off so it is easier to remorse the foam. 

This is how laundry machines and big screen TV boxes work I have had. 

Now thanks for posting this @Marty Backe. You know I like Inmotion as a brand. But the way this comes across it looks really nice. I am sooo tempted to order the V14, but for once I am trying to resist first batch. Also I am unsure of the tire but that might have other options once we have more messure point of what is possible to fit.

A small question. So despite it is listed at 16" am I to understand it is more like a V11 in size? 

One other small thing. I wounder if someone would make a stronger 1 step trolley as aftermarket option. I am a bit sad they didn't do a V11 style trolley. That is by far the best trolley I have tested. 

Thanks once again @Marty Backe and of course to @Jason McNeil for the community support. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Unventor said:

To unbox it I would imagine you take out the plastic squares on the side then you properly can sliten the outer top off so it is easier to remorse the foam. 

This is how laundry machines and big screen TV boxes work I have had. 

Now thanks for posting this @Marty Backe. You know I like Inmotion as a brand. But the way this comes across it looks really nice. I am sooo tempted to order the V14, but for once I am trying to resist first batch. Also I am unsure of the tire but that might have other options once we have more messure point of what is possible to fit.

A small question. So despite it is listed at 16" am I to understand it is more like a V11 in size? 

One other small thing. I wounder if someone would make a stronger 1 step trolley as aftermarket option. I am a bit sad they didn't do a V11 style trolley. That is by far the best trolley I have tested. 

Thanks once again @Marty Backe and of course to @Jason McNeil for the community support. 

The measured tire diameter is >18-inches. I don't recall the V11. This is certainly wider than the V11 tire. It has a nice curve to it so when turning it shouldn't fall off the edge like on the CST's, etc. In no way does it feel like the old school 16-inch wheels.

Personally I dislike the flip up trolley handle on the V11, V12, V13 (and older wheels) because it's very unwieldly when maneuvering on rock trails, etc. Yeah, it's fine in a store type environment. IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Personally I dislike the flip up trolley handle on the V11, V12, V13 (and older wheels) because it's very unwieldly when maneuvering on rock trails, etc. Yeah, it's fine in a store type environment. IMHO.

the trolley handles that came with my v13's are nice. i keep them in a box, nice and new because ur absolutely right, any trolleying in rough terrain the metal fatigues at the screw holes. so i just took them off. inmotion replaced the one, but why have 2 pounds of extra weight up top if u don't use it. best of my trolley handles even though it's a pita sometimes, the s18.

psychologically, the wheel feels less top heavy. haha.

dat lynx looks pretty badass btw, i can't go smaller than 20" anymore.

i see kuji rolls got the lynx.

DC3ABF79-37F7-49B2-B91D-2DD78E1A8271.jpeg.68cac30dfed586bebfdc803714062640.jpeg

Edited by novazeus

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

the trolley handles that came with my v13's are nice. i keep them in a box, nice and new because ur absolutely right, any trolleying in rough terrain the metal fatigues at the screw holes. so i just took them off. inmotion replaced the one, but why have 2 pounds of extra weight up top if u don't use it. best of my trolley handles even though it's a pita sometimes, the s18.

psychologically, the wheel feels less top heavy. haha.

dat lynx looks pretty badass btw, i can't go smaller than 20" anymore.

i see kuji rolls got the lynx.

I just received my Lynx too :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

First ride with the V14, into the night

20231102_182700-2

thank u! is a great demo photo. 

nope too small.

i'd like the same pose with the lnyx, pretty please?

btw, just curious, because i also have my broken ankle, which foot was ur stay on the pedal foot, ie stepping off, and did ur accident changed that. i mean yesterday i walked alot and rode a bit, it was throbbing. today is better.

u are the iron man though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Range Performance - Not Great

Video upcoming but I wanted to more clearly outline the data that I just collected.

On my first V14 ride yesterday afternoon/evening I had intended it to be a peppy first ride to acclimate myself to the wheel. I took it on my northern river ride which is the basis for my formal range tests. I ended up arriving home on fumes so this first ride turned into a range test.

Prior to breaking my ankle I did a formal range test (video not released yet) of the Commander Mini and the Master. I wanted to compare the two 2400wh wheels to see how they compared. The speeds were aimed to be ~23 - 25 mph. As is usually the case, the last ~third of the ride is a bit slower as I don't want to run out of battery and have to be picked up by my wife :)

Both wheels performed nearly identical. I averaged ~1mph faster on the Master over the identical distance so I suppose it has the better range. 57-miles for both wheels, ending on fumes at ~99-100 volts. I was able to ride both wheels at ~20mph until the last ~mile.

The V14 was ridden at the same approximate speeds but I only achieved ~47-miles and the last ~7-miles was being speed limited from ~20mph down to 14mph when I stopped. Battery was at 102-volts (7%). So I might have been able to squeeze another mile or two out of the battery.

So clearly the V14 consumes more power then these two wheels. For a riding weight of ~200-pounds (all three rides) the V14 can be a fun wheel for ~40-miles, riding mid to lower 20's. If you want to have fun at 30mph I would expect a range in the lower 30's (miles).

The bottom line is that the V14 has a non-insignificant range penalty relative to the Master and Commander Mini, two wheels with the same battery capacity.

Here are the stat's for the three rides

Geo-Tracker-2023-11-03-11-22-45

Geo-Tracker-2023-11-03-11-22-53

Geo-Tracker-2023-11-03-11-22-49

what tire pressure are u running?

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Range Performance - Not Great

Video upcoming but I wanted to more clearly outline the data that I just collected.

On my first V14 ride yesterday afternoon/evening I had intended it to be a peppy first ride to acclimate myself to the wheel. I took it on my northern river ride which is the basis for my formal range tests. I ended up arriving home on fumes so this first ride turned into a range test.

Prior to breaking my ankle I did a formal range test (video not released yet) of the Commander Mini and the Master. I wanted to compare the two 2400wh wheels to see how they compared. The speeds were aimed to be ~23 - 25 mph. As is usually the case, the last ~third of the ride is a bit slower as I don't want to run out of battery and have to be picked up by my wife :)

Both wheels performed nearly identical. I averaged ~1mph faster on the Master over the identical distance so I suppose it has the better range. 57-miles for both wheels, ending on fumes at ~99-100 volts. I was able to ride both wheels at ~20mph until the last ~mile.

The V14 was ridden at the same approximate speeds but I only achieved ~47-miles and the last ~7-miles was being speed limited from ~20mph down to 14mph when I stopped. Battery was at 102-volts (7%). So I might have been able to squeeze another mile or two out of the battery.

So clearly the V14 consumes more power then these two wheels. For a riding weight of ~200-pounds (all three rides) the V14 can be a fun wheel for ~40-miles, riding mid to lower 20's. If you want to have fun at 30mph I would expect a range in the lower 30's (miles).

The bottom line is that the V14 has a non-insignificant range penalty relative to the Master and Commander Mini, two wheels with the same battery capacity.

Here are the stat's for the three rides

Geo-Tracker-2023-11-03-11-22-45

Geo-Tracker-2023-11-03-11-22-53

Geo-Tracker-2023-11-03-11-22-49

Thanks for the review! Were the tires on these wheels identical? Off-road tires have a significant mileage penalty.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, novazeus said:

thank u! is a great demo photo. 

nope too small.

i'd like the same pose with the lnyx, pretty please?

btw, just curious, because i also have my broken ankle, which foot was ur stay on the pedal foot, ie stepping off, and did ur accident changed that. i mean yesterday i walked alot and rode a bit, it was throbbing. today is better.

u are the iron man though.

I broke my right foot which is also how I mount. Yes, mounting and dismounting is still painful. Sometimes I mount with my left foot for relief. It's always good practice to be able to comfortably mount with either foot - practice :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sergey Sh. said:

Thanks for the review! Were the tires on these wheels identical? Off-road tires have a significant mileage penalty.

The Mini has a street tire and the Master has the CST knobby and the V14 has the knobby. I'm not sure that I would agree with your "significant" statement.

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can you check the full battery voltage? Maybe the Adventure doesn't charge to the full voltage, just like the V13, you made a video about that.

I charged with the stock charger which is outputting 133.6-volts. So yeah, slightly undercharged. Doubt that would account for 10+ miles in less range :)

18 minutes ago, novazeus said:

what tire pressure are u running?

I run all my tires at ~28psi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, organicparadox said:

Great break down, thanks Marty!  But tell me about that suspension?  How does it feel?

So far the suspension feels great!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I broke my right foot which is also how I mount. Yes, mounting and dismounting is still painful. Sometimes I mount with my left foot for relief. It's always good practice to be able to comfortably mount with either foot - practice :)

i broke my right ankle also, but i kick a football with my left, it seems more coordinated than my right, so my left is my wheel planted foot. i don't think i can switch now. and i know ur picking on me because i can't freemount for squat. i don't have to, and i hate practicing. 

the adventure v14 looks like it would be a great ankle breaker for old fools like me. i like the tall wheels like my beginner wheel the ks 18s. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I run all my tires at ~28psi

i know, ur not a tire nerd, the reason i'll never fly boeing. so that's 12psi less than what inmotion recommends.

don't hurt urself, but could u please do ur range test at the manufacturers and the tire  manufacturers recommended tire pressure?

ur running 30% less pressure than u should, so ur mileage will be at least 30% less.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

Marty, the V14 plot looks like it shows you were speeding up and slowing down more frequently? Maybe that would explain the range being worse.

Also unsure why the high speed indicated is 29.68 mph while the plot makes it look like the high speed on that run is closer to 25 mph, though not sure if that really matters.

3.5hr run time sounds pretty good to me coming from the V11. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mtl said:

Marty, the V14 plot looks like it shows you were speeding up and slowing down more frequently? Maybe that would explain the range being worse.

Also unsure why the high speed indicated is 29.68 mph while the plot makes it look like the high speed on that run is closer to 25 mph, though not sure if that really matters.

3.5hr run time sounds pretty good to me coming from the V11. :)

The speed plots tend to smooth out any individual speed spikes due to the resolution. I probably rode the beginning faster than the Master/Mini but I'm not convinced that would account for >10-miles less range. I'll be doing the test again to better duplicate the Master/Mini runs.

2 hours ago, Sergey Sh. said:

From my experience: when I changed the street tire to a knobby one on my old 16X, I lost at least 20% in mileage.

I believe that was your experience but I don't know if you did any "scientific" before/after tests or maybe it was a perception that you lost range??? My Mini has a street tire and my Master has a knobby. They both get about the same range under very controlled conditions (see plots above).