Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

35 minutes ago, hydracricket said:

Wondering how much of a pain it will be [to carry Lynx up stairs]

It's a pain :(

The grab handles are fine, but there's no getting around the 90 pound weight...

Some wide concrete stairs have a rounded lip that the tire will climb up nicely. But wooden stairs, or nice interior finishes, will create wheelspin and receive rubber tire marks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Some wide concrete stairs have a rounded lip that the tire will climb up nicely. But wooden stairs, or nice interior finishes, will create wheelspin and receive rubber tire marks.

Dang I feared as much. I have interior stairs at my place and precipitous concrete stairs at my girlfriend's 😖 at least I'll have my s18 as a lighter backup

I placed an order for Lynx today. I still have mixed feelings about it. I wanted a big battery (I actually often ride for 100-150 km (60-100 miles)) but don’t want the weight for most rides and didn’t want the SS. Lynx doesn’t have that much mire range than my S22 and I often wanted more. On the other hand I never had problems with charging on a lunch break. I guess I need two wheels :facepalm:

My main reasons to upgrade from S22 to Lynx are suspension and quality. The relatively light weight felt good at first but now I realize it’s still 5 kg more for only 444 Wh extra battery. SS is 1332 Wh more range for 9 kg weight increase. Less Wh per kg on the Lynx. 

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

What we need a stair climbing mode to prevent spin out. I haven't worked out in my head how that would work exactly, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

What we need a stair climbing mode to prevent spin out. I haven't worked out in my head how that would work exactly, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

that's very smart:  basically, if the trolley handle is up, then max-spin speed should be very, very slow -- like 5 MPH to prevent spin-out.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JZT-Colorado said:

that's very smart:  basically, if the trolley handle is up, then max-spin speed should be very, very slow -- like 5 MPH to prevent spin-out.

Yeah it would either cutout when it's about to spin out, or maybe tilt back or something. Like I said, I haven't worked out exactly how it would achieve that.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

16 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Yeah it would either cutout when it's about to spin out, or maybe tilt back or something. Like I said, I haven't worked out exactly how it would achieve that.

I have a few burnout spots in my workshop that would also have been avoided if this was a thing... ;) 

1 hour ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

This already exists the Kingsong S18 has it. It is done through software firmware so must be algorithm related.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

This already exists the Kingsong S18 has it. It is done through software firmware so must be algorithm related.

Exactly, it's complicated, because the controller would need some sort of handle position sensor, as the S18 does. LK Wheels do not have this in their design. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

That doesn't seem complicated to me.

or ok, so if the wheel doesn't have a trolley position sensor, then just give us a button to press (e.g. long-press the light button or something like that)..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JZT-Colorado said:

or ok, so if the wheel doesn't have a trolley position sensor, then just give us a button to press (e.g. long-press the light button or something like that)..

That's what I was imagining, but the trolly handle sensor might be an even more elegant solution.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

6 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Easy disassembly: You can remove the left side battery, then remove the fender. The fender support and motor mount can remain installed: the tire comes out the gap where the fender was.

The only struggle is breaking the bead free from the rim with your old tire... better use wood clamps, etc. 

SR244 2.75-14 35P

Older Sherm-S: Yes, shaved sideknobs on one side only. 

New Lynx: No shaving.
It was straight enough to clear. YMMV 

Great news as I love this tire. 

10 hours ago, hydracricket said:

Anybody who has to deal with stairs regularly have this wheel? Wondering how much of a pain it will be

I carry my Patton up a flight of stairs everytime I ride.  It isn't bad and the weight of the Lynx is similar.  I'm not a big guy or particularly strong. I use the front handle and the kickstand to lift it.  Then I rest it on my thigh and use my leg to lift it up each step.  It sounds awkward, but it is quite easy for a single flight.  It would suck if I had to do more than a few flights though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Leaperkim has been approached with this recommendation and they said it wouldn't be easy.  I don't buy it, but that was their response.

I carry the Sherman S up 2 flights of stairs since I have no elevator, it's not so bad with the 2 handles and using your leg as leverage, you get used to it, faster to carry than trying to roll it up, of course the Patton was a bit easier so will the Lynx be.

Down you can just roll them.

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I carry the Sherman S up 2 flights of stairs

If you were not strong before, you are now.

Two flights with a Sherman S for each ride, that is not insignificant.

No wonder some euc riders lose weight. :) 

9 minutes ago, techyiam said:

If anything I've increased in weight since I started riding. 😭

The only real workout is technical offroading.

But in regards to carrying you get used to it, carrying with 2 hands is a big advantage even over older lighter wheels that you could only carry with 1 hand.

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

i now own what i call 3 "rideout" wheels. basically one wheel motorcycles with lousy portability, at 120 pounds, maybe the worse. but very nice hangar characteristics and handling and perfect riding ergonomics for me, the v13's that stay parked in their garage on the road. no lifting or trolleying, unless going into the pasture. 

my other 3 wheels, two s22 pros(more or less)at 75 pounds, i could easily carry both, one with each arm, or one to the side. same with the 55 pound s18. and the size and handling hangar characteristics of the s22 are the best, s18 if it had a stand would be ok. 

so, idk if i dreamt this, or read it somewhere, but it does make sense, what if leaperkim employed the same weight saving technology on the "patton pro"?
my accomodations here in the woods doesn't really lend itself to having all "rideout" wheels. although i might explore the possibility of planting little wheel outhouses around. be cool if i could make them charge the wheels using solar. 

i mean eventually i'm sure i'll buy the latest batch version of the lynx and store it somewhere, but really don't need all that torque/power here. a patton "pro" i could ride out from my container on dirt might be interesting. that's what the s22's are for. 

having that last new v13 in here with me while setting it up, reminded me how massive it is  plus no kickstand for a few days. i was worried the cat would squash herself. 75 pounds is my new wheel lifting/carrying limit. fitting thru the giant doggy door a bonus. 

but yaay on this new wheel getting into customers hands and seeing them enjoying themselves. idk if i learn anything, but i love watching the wheel just go over normal type urban terrain. like duf's. 

and btw, i've figured out that the lighter wheels do better on my big swaths of sugar sand thru my gate openings. or maybe it's just more my willingness to "ride thru" with these lighter wheels and not chance having 120 pounds fall on me trying to "ride thru" on my "ride out" wheel. like my 200 pound dirtbike in sugar sand as opposed to my 800 pound harley. yeah, maybe the harley can do it, the motorman's course is brutal, but i'd rather do the same course on my dirtbike at 200 pounds. 

Edited by novazeus

32 minutes ago, novazeus said:

what if leaperkim employed the same weight saving technology on the "patton pro"?

It may not sell because the price will be too close to the Lynx. At least that is what I suspect.

My guess is that not enough people would be willing to pay a premium price for weight alone. 

Edited by techyiam

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

duf's video. i like his vids because u get to see the wheel being ridden.

I like Duf's videos. 

He is basically getting a range in the same ballpark as what he got when he rode the Patton. And Duf said he rode the Lynx essentially in the same manner.

O% SOC should be 115 V. He rode the Lynx down to 111 V. So he depleted his battery to get the 55 miles range. 

That's rather unfortunate.

That's not enough improvement over my S22 for me.

6 minutes ago, techyiam said:

It may not sell because the price will be too close to the Lynx. At least that is what I suspect.

My guess is that not enough people are willing to pay a premium price on weight alone. 

did i dream or actually read that rumor somewhere. yeah, price is always important. i paid $2500 for this lgm50lt battery 7-16-2023 build s22 pro and for my needs out here it's about perfect. i'm probably gonna get a third with 50s batteries. 

30mph is about max i could ever hit out here. maybe faster in the pasture but i'd have to get faa clearance. 

once setup or i should say, once i acclimate to a wheel, if i think go, and it goes, and if i think stop, it stops. on pavement or pasture, it works for me. i don't touch any settings on the wheels. 

5 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i paid $2500 for this lgm50lt battery 7-16-2023 build s22 pro and for my needs out here it's about perfect. i'm probably gonna get a third with 50s batteries. 

I also think it is going to be tough to beat the S22 Pro with 50S cells for your use case, since you care about weight and price.