Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

@versus Remember what it’s like going to the dentist and getting new dental work? It feels strange and you can’t imagine getting used to the way it now feels? Your new wheel is that filling. After a few weeks it will be your normal and riding your v12 Will seem sketchy and you won’t be able to understand how you rode it before. Having a powerful wheel with good suspension will enable you to tackle different terrain and ride in a more dynamic way. It’s also much safer overall. Have fun on your new wheel! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Has the bearing problem with the Lynx been fixed with the batch 2?  Is it safe to buy the batch 2 now?

A ship-load went out on Friday, the verdict should be arriving towards the end of the week, so-far-so-go... We're now into a 4 weeks from sending out the batch 1s and a total of 5 reported instances varying from the indistinctive, to a two constantly noisy bearings, riding in a straight-line. There's always a psychosomatic dynamic when troubles gain traction, about half of the message have no evidence of anything anomalous.  

Edited by Jason McNeil
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

A ship-load went out on Friday, the verdict should be arriving towards the end of the week, so-far-so-go... We're now into a 4 weeks from sending out the batch 1s and a total of 5 reported instances varying from the indistinctive, to a two constantly noisy bearings, riding in a straight-line. There's always a psychosomatic dynamic when troubles gain traction, about half of the message have no evidence of anything anomalous.  

Well to be fair, since it's a design or manufacturing flaw with incorrect tolerances it's a potential problem on all batch 1 motors just that not everyone might have symptoms right away, some might get them later, some might be lucky and never get them, but the flaw is there regardless, or am I wrong? That in itself can be stressful and worrying so I can relate.

3 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

since it's a design or manufacturing flaw with incorrect tolerances it's a potential problem on all batch 1 motors just that not everyone might have symptoms right away, some might get them later,

It's possible, but for context, let's not forget the V11, S22, T4, V13, and the other LKs models that have not been immune from bearing troubles. The S22s had an atrocious motor history, requiring four iterations of motors before KS management decided to do something about it, the redeeming feature here is that we got motor spacers shipped the next day. Inmotion refused to acknowledge any issue with the V13s, initially, requiring 9 months to get some lousy spacers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The S22s had an atrocious motor history, requiring four iterations of motors before KS management decided to do something about it ...

I think Kingsong early batch issue fixes were not forthcoming with the S22. Aside from the bad motor history, another biggie was the original sliders. They made a great rise-rate linkage, but the sliders were a poor design. And they didn't find a fix until much later, basing on an aftermarket design. Based on Kingsong's lackadaisical willingness to come out with fixes to issues in a timely fashion, it is only reasonable for people not to be keen in placing orders on early batches of Kingsong new model releases.

But for Veteran wheels, it is a different story. They do seem to provide fixes to arising issues promptly so far with the Sherman S, Patton, and now the Lynx. So for those who are eager to be riding a Lynx early rather than later, and are OK with dealing with issues that arise, I can understand their decision.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, versus said:

Anyone coming from 16" wheel? I had V12HT  and decided to replace before I end up badly injured (had cutout twice). Lynx is super comfortable but I miss that kick from smaller and lighter (torquier) whee and immediacy of the non- suspension. Will that buzz return after a while and one gets adjusted to Lynx's dimensions. Should i have chosen V14 or Paton? (I wanted to avoid Inmotion altogether). 

If you want it to feel torquier, I believe the aftermarket adapter that drops the pedals lower will do that for you.  As the pedal's height lowers, it's easier to get your body in a position to accelerate the wheel, so you feel like there's more torque.  Of course, you lose pedal clearance, so it's a trade-off.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/beidou-lynx-cnc-lowering-pedal-brackets/

You could also try fooling around with the soft/hard mode or acceleration and brake boosting settings, but those will probably make it feel easier to accelerate/brake at the expense of responsiveness, so probably not what you're looking for.

Edited by cegli

13 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

It's possible, but for context, let's not forget the V11, S22, T4, V13

With all due respect Jason, that simply smacks of deflection to me.

I agree 100% with @Rawnei, it would be constantly on my mind and unless LK can nail this down to a specific range of builds within Batch 1, I would personally assume that ALL Batch 1's are affected and a failure happening even 3 months down the line would pi$$ me off. It should be a total recall of all units given that this flaw will not dissappear with time.

I know you will do the right thing by your customers, I just hope that LK and all the other dealers do as well. Good luck to anyone that buys off Ali though..

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

IMG_1860.jpg.544aaa5fc88c2801e85f856c8cb6434d.jpg 

IMG_1861.jpg.ac3494146c2cbdc7f23fd5cf5108f6cf.jpg

Could you share the dimensions of that spacer? Where you got those? 

I can just hope it will be not as bad as it seems. 

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

With all due respect Jason, that simply smacks of deflection to me.

I agree 100% with @Rawnei, it would be constantly on my mind and unless LK can nail this down to a specific range of builds within Batch 1, I would personally assume that ALL Batch 1's are affected and a failure happening even 3 months down the line would pi$$ me off. It should be a total recall of all units given that this flaw will not dissappear with time.

I know you will do the right thing by your customers, I just hope that LK and all the other dealers do as well. Good luck to anyone that buys off Ali though..

For the record, I don't detect deflection as I see @Jason McNeil's comment to be both helpful and sincere.

On the other hand, I'm also not detecting "due respect."  How about we don't make this personal, especially to our advocate who wants nothing more than to be helpful and to give us quality and reliable products?

Edited by JZT-Colorado

15 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The ones that were shipped are really thin, 0.2mm, a 0.5mm would be better, if we can find a local source. 

So about 0,5mm per Side needed?

15 minutes ago, SoleCycle said:

Buy your own combination of thicknesses and you can dial it in with the perfect shim sandwich! 🥪
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Adjusting-Ultrathin-Precision-Hardware/dp/B0CT2B7WB4/

0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.3mm, 0.5mm available

M40shim.thumb.jpg.07cf87b37acb315706f72656a2b1258b.jpg

How do you measure how much is needed? Seems hard for me...since the bearing gets off the axle very hard once it sits there...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anecdotal case of study of one (me).

I have a batch one RS. The bearing issue on the lynx seems to be the same as my original RS. After aprox 8 miles it started making a knocking sound. 

Jason replaced the whole unit, which is another batch one, but this one is still on the original bearings, and has been problem free. It has a little over 3k miles on it so not very high for the age but plenty of miles for the problem to come back. 

About half the miles are off road on bumpy rocky mnt trails so the wheel had not had an easy life either. 

I think the tolerances are just not close enough so some have issues and some do not. It's just the nature of Chinese manufacturing to hit a proce point and I don't see that changing any time soon.

This also means some will need different size spacers too, and some may be fine without. 

I wish it was not this way, but it is what it is. Best way to deal is buy from a good vender, and also have some DIY skills too. 

I'm waiting for later batches to get a lynx,  but I'm pretty sure this will be my next wheel. My knees want some suspension, but I still love my RS. 

• Like 2

On the topic of shims,  could this slight space be the reason the lynx is reported to have a slight wobble near its top speed ? re: hsiangs attempt at top speed lynx run video...

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:12 AM, Jason McNeil said:

The repair has been done :D, it needed a couple extra spacers on each side, some loctite was added on the motor faceplate for good measure. Should be back in  your hands by Wednesday. 

IMG_1860.jpg.544aaa5fc88c2801e85f856c8cb6434d.jpg 

IMG_1861.jpg.ac3494146c2cbdc7f23fd5cf5108f6cf.jpg

You guys really are the Best! Thank you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

So about 0,5mm per Side needed?

9 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

How do you measure how much is needed? Seems hard for me...since the bearing gets off the axle very hard once it sits there...

You're right on. It varies. That's why I sent mine in. I didn't want to take it apart over and over until it was right.

Mine took 4 on each side, but some only took one, so I don't know where the difference is, the hub bore maybe?

4 hours ago, bpong said:

On the topic of shims,  could this slight space be the reason the lynx is reported to have a slight wobble near its top speed ? re: hsiangs attempt at top speed lynx run video...

Possible i guess, motor could have slight wobble to itself , i guess

4 hours ago, Sprite said:

I purchased the 66lb spring and I weigh about 220-230 geared up, I set my sag today at about 27mm (30%) and I only needed to set my preload one notch down.

Thanks for first report on actual sag I've seen. This chart that has been shared alot says max suggested rider weight for 70lb spring is 210lb.. I think alot of people have ordered too stiff springs. Leaperkim should make their own chart with actual measured sag to make it easier to choose the right one.

image.png.f1e65ffa81b2b8cdf9bad9b4de469eae.png

Edited by Mcfoster

9 hours ago, bpong said:

No.. hsiang most likely got wobbles because he was coming out of a tunnel (wind), braking and being a bit nervous from testing high speed all at once.

• Like 2