Thinking about downgrading.

Funky

After riding my 18xl to job daily for about a year. I'm thinking about downgrading.. Sure ~50km/h speed is awesome. But as i'm not gearing up and riding mostly around 15-20km/h speed. I'm thinking about getting something lighter, when time comes around to get new wheel.

It boils down to need of carrying the wheel around.. Apartment 3rd floor 2-4 times a day. Train/bus. Workshop. Job - ground full of sharp metal shavings. Etc.. Sure 26kg isn't much weight, but as i don't need the range or the speed. Also i'm not going for "fun" rides much anymore.. Why not get something light as possible for job commute?  

Most people are upgrading to monster heavy EUC's. :D And here i want to get something lighter, maybe in 15-20kg weight, that will go about 35km/h speed.

The lighter - the better.

I wonder, will there ever be new wheels in 10-20 kg weight...? Maybe 16x3"/18x3" wheel that has lower speed and smaller battery? 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, joeboots said:

MTEN4!!!

Love it - sadly 2 fragile for my heavy ass. :D Also 11" wheel is no bueno for me. If it had 16x3" tire and bit more powerful motor - it would be almost perfect.

Edited by Funky

MCM5 800Wh with a 14x3 tire mod is 17kg. 

V8 480Wh with a 16x2.5in mod is 14kg.

Tesla 1020Wh with 16x2.5in mod is 19kg (not v3).

A wheel that surprised me of how lightweight it is, is Kingsong S18 at 24kg. 18x3 and suspension at 24kg is pretty damn awesome.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

wait for the inmotion release of their new models.  if they 'deliver' as they promised,  perhaps this combo would suit you:

16 inch adventure, with 2 battery packs, your choice of wattage.  carry the battery packs in a small backpack and carry the wheel as usual.  i you want a smaller diameter wheel,  chose the 14 inch instead.  im sure the weight of the euc without batteries installed will be much lighter than a complete euc.  i dont know if you really want to get one of those 10 inch eucs....

1 minute ago, alcatraz said:

MCM5 800Wh with a 14x3 tire mod is 17kg. 

V8 480Wh with a 16x2.5in mod is 14kg.

Tesla 1020Wh with 16x2.5in mod is 19kg (not v3).

A wheel that surprised me of how lightweight it is, is Kingsong S18 at 24kg. 18x3 and suspension at 24kg is pretty damn awesome.

Yeah, was looking at S18 V2 today. :D Remove the suspension and it will be around ~20kg. (Most shops show it's ~22kg weight.)

Sadly i don't like it's "open design" water/mud goes everywhere..

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bpong said:

wait for the inmotion release of their new models.  if they 'deliver' as they promised,  perhaps this combo would suit you:

16 inch adventure, with 2 battery packs, your choice of wattage.  carry the battery packs in a small backpack and carry the wheel as usual.  i you want a smaller diameter wheel,  chose the 14 inch instead.  im sure the weight of the euc without batteries installed will be much lighter than a complete euc.  i dont know if you really want to get one of those 10 inch eucs....

I want big wheel diameter, with small battery..

I don't see their 16" wheel being lighter than 20kg. And same time being faster than 35km/h. Carrying battery in backpack are pointless - you still carry it around. Also i won't be taking them in/out all the time.. Who will ever do that. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Funky said:

I want big wheel diameter, with small battery..

... Also i won't be taking them in/out all the time.. Who will ever do that. :D 

okay,  cool.  but carrying the packs in a backpack is alot more comfortable than carrying the whole wheel, just saying.  its not how much you carry,  its how you carry it.  regardless,  i do hope you find what you are looking for.  there are so many eucs out there,  there has to be one that meets your criteria !

12 minutes ago, bpong said:

okay,  cool.  but carrying the packs in a backpack is alot more comfortable than carrying the whole wheel, just saying.  its not how much you carry,  its how you carry it.  regardless

Yeah i got what you meant. But i won't be taking the pack out each time i need to carry the wheel.. That just stupid.

Example: Ride at home.. Let's take the pack out of wheel and put them in backpack, so i can carry it 3 floors. Yeah... Again who will do that? Even if the packs where very easy to remove.. Taking them out and putting them in backpack already takes to much time. :sleep1: Not needed hassle.

14 minutes ago, bpong said:

i do hope you find what you are looking for.  there are so many eucs out there,  there has to be one that meets your criteria !

Haven't seen one yet.. Maybe some day in future.

I can tell you my experience with this exact issue. My first wheel was a Tesla V2, very zippy, not very heavy, but not the most convenient thing to carry or load in the car. When I needed a wheel to do "last mile commute" I bought an Inmotion V8S, much thinner profile, easy to carry, a bit lighter, great trolley handle, pedals are at a good height, plenty of battery. On the downside: not nearly as zippy as the Tesla, dont like the algorithms as much as Gotway. Having said that, it is an almost perfect wheel for final commute without gear. Im waiting to see if Inmotion puts out a light suspension wheel, I do want to try suspension EUC riding, and if not I might get the S18 V2. But, I recommend the V8S, maybe the V10 but that trolley handle turned me off from it.

Edited by MadVlad
  • Upvote 1

Honestly: just get a bike.

It's some 10, maximum 15 kg, so while big, they're easy to carry up stairs. Easy to park. Can do trips that 20kg EUC could no problem. No worries about charging.

As for me I just don't see much point in very small EUCs.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Funky said:

Yeah, was looking at S18 V2 today. :D Remove the suspension and it will be around ~20kg. (Most shops show it's ~22kg weight.)

Sadly i don't like it's "open design" water/mud goes everywhere..

S18 V2 has the hollow bore motor. No more flimsy solid axles.

Remove shock and linkage. Find your preferred pedal height and bond the sliders together, or fixed the sliders mechanically without adding much weight.

Wrap a water resistant fabric around the opening so water doesn't splash up and out, getting water on the rider.

18" tire too.

What mud? I thought your use case is last mile device.

• Upvote 1

Small eucs rule. I live in a huge dense city. LOTS of stairs and often public transport.

That'll change your mind about small eucs real quick.

Take that criteria and add on top the need for having to go up to 50km/h for short moments in traffic, but average 30km/h.

That makes for a very short list of wheels. Tesla, 16X, msx/msp. The tesla is the lightest wheel that ticks all those boxes by the way.

I have been tempted by an MCM5 v2 with a 14x3 tire. Would love to try one. It's only 2kg lighter than the tesla and that's with 20% less battery capacity.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Upvote 1

You’re kinda making a case for the 16s… However boring that may sound. But I’m 100% with you on this one. I resorted to get a bigger suspended wheel for fun and stick to my 16s for commutes. Does the job without complaining. 

Tesla 2 if you can find it. Power to weight is amazing. I’m using it to commute with on a train too. It’s a fast road bike wheel and love the narrow tire that has little drag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, superox said:

Honestly: just get a bike.

It's some 10, maximum 15 kg, so while big, they're easy to carry up stairs. Easy to park. Can do trips that 20kg EUC could no problem. No worries about charging.

As for me I just don't see much point in very small EUCs.

Already got two. Which i used for 8 years riding to job.

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

S18 V2 has the hollow bore motor. No more flimsy solid axles.

Remove shock and linkage. Find your preferred pedal height and bond the sliders together, or fixed the sliders mechanically without adding much weight.

Wrap a water resistant fabric around the opening so water doesn't splash up and out, getting water on the rider.

18" tire too.

What mud? I thought your use case is last mile device.

Still around 20-22kg. Only plus for 18x3" tire. Meh.. 22 vs 26 kg not much of a difference. Add real M/C tire on S18 and it will be around ~23kg.

Mud - riding true rain/puddles.. You get kinda muddy, as some plash on rider.

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Tesla 2 if you can find it. Power to weight is amazing. I’m using it to commute with on a train too. It’s a fast road bike wheel and love the narrow tire that has little drag.

Personally not liking it. Doh spec wise it's awesome.

5 hours ago, Guillaume_k said:

You’re kinda making a case for the 16s… However boring that may sound. But I’m 100% with you on this one. I resorted to get a bigger suspended wheel for fun and stick to my 16s for commutes. Does the job without complaining. 

My dad rides 16s. Have also ridden it. I think i'm simply to heavy for it. :D Feels like i'm going to break it each time i step on it. 

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Small eucs rule. I live in a huge dense city. LOTS of stairs and often public transport.

That'll change your mind about small eucs real quick.

Take that criteria and add on top the need for having to go up to 50km/h for short moments in traffic, but average 30km/h.

That makes for a very short list of wheels. Tesla, 16X, msx/msp. The tesla is the lightest wheel that ticks all those boxes by the way.

I have been tempted by an MCM5 v2 with a 14x3 tire. Would love to try one. It's only 2kg lighter than the tesla and that's with 20% less battery capacity.

I'm sidewalk rider. So no need for top speed. I'm mostly going ~20km/h or under when riding to job, because i'm not gearing up.

7 hours ago, MadVlad said:

I can tell you my experience with this exact issue. My first wheel was a Tesla V2, very zippy, not very heavy, but not the most convenient thing to carry or load in the car. When I needed a wheel to do "last mile commute" I bought an Inmotion V8S, much thinner profile, easy to carry, a bit lighter, great trolley handle, pedals are at a good height, plenty of battery. On the downside: not nearly as zippy as the Tesla, dont like the algorithms as much as Gotway. Having said that, it is an almost perfect wheel for final commute without gear. Im waiting to see if Inmotion puts out a light suspension wheel, I do want to try suspension EUC riding, and if not I might get the S18 V2. But, I recommend the V8S, maybe the V10 but that trolley handle turned me off from it.

Yeah V8S simply are to weak for me. I'm a big guy. :D 

In general i said "when time comes.." Aka maybe in 2-3 years. At the moment i don't like any of the released wheels. None, Nope, Nada at all. And i don't wanna buy any of them. Because i simply don't like any of them.. :D I'm just hoping there will be new releases in lightweight category. New lightweight wheels that have been updated - Stronger axle. Bigger tire. Modern design. Waterproof. So on..

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

thats my current wheel for the past 4 years... i will be getting something with a slightly bigger wheel but that wheel will be for recreation/commuting.  my tesla V2 is commuting and grocery/takeout mule.  with all this crap about bigger, wider tires, more power, etc,.... every time i ride my T-V2, i always am wondering whether or not i really need to dump 5K$ on another euc.  the flipside of the T-V2 riding experience is trying to keep up with vehicle traffic, which, in my part of the world ranges from 40 to 60 kph.  the T-V2 i have set up conservatively to max at 42kph before warning to avoid cutouts...thats when i realize its time to get something just abit more powerful so i can spend more time on the street than riding in the bike lanes and extreme right side of the street...its always nicer riding with traffic cause its wider, and not congested with bikes, ebikes, onewheels, escooters... but one has to have the power to keep up with cars and buses... 

• Like 2

Kingsong 18L is about 48 lbs versus 18XL at 53 lbs, not much. Next step down is V10F, about 45 lbs. Both 18L and V10F have 20S4P battery packs, but fuse current on 18L is 60 amps (two 30 amp fuses I think) versus V10F 40 amps (a single 40 amp fuse). Apparently the V10F main board is the limiting factor. 

Edited by rcgldr

8 hours ago, Funky said:

Yeah V8S simply are to weak for me. I'm a big guy. :D 

I am between 200 and 210 pounds (depending on month) and its been able to handle me just fine. It did feel a little underpowered on some very steep hills and I dont push it, but for commuting I saw no issues. I dont do the super hard lean on it, no reason to, but the acceleration isnt bad. Maybe a V10 would be better if you are looking for a bit more, I do like how easy they are to carry and load/unload from the car, thin, slick, great handles. The Tesla V2/V3 is awesome for zip, but its fat and the pedals are a bit too low, you scrape on sharp turns, and loading it into a car isnt as easy.

V8F axle is a bit weak, might be a problem with your weight. V10F though, I haven’t heard of many axle issues with it. It’s a great riding wheel, and has marvelous ergonomics. If 16S feels too weak, V8F is definitely a step down. V10F is definitely a step up though.

Tesla sure is a powerhouse, but the ergonomics are horrible. The sharp top edge of the boxy shape is nasty against your leg, unless your knees bend outwards. If that’s not a problem for you, you would save some kgs.

MCM5 v2 rides pretty well with it’s 2.5” tire. I’d even say that it’s roughly comparable to the 16S in ride feel. While a Begode, I’d still look into it if I were you.

Inmotion shared their future plans, but I’ve since gotten the feeling that they aren’t going to be able to suddenly launch several wheels in a year. And if the Adventure kicks off, they are probably expanding that venture next year. So new wheels in the V8/V10 category probably won’t be available in several years.

• Upvote 2

Is there any wheel under 20kg with hollow bore axle? (Or what ever was the strong axle named..)

Being at 275lbs axle strength is my first thought/concern. Second is build quality. Third motor power. Fourth speed. Fifth range. In that order. :D 

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Is there any wheel under 20kg with hollow bore axle? (Or what ever was the strong axle named..)

Being at 275lbs axle strength is my first thought/concern. Second is build quality. Third motor power. Fourth speed. Fifth range. In that order. :D 

If you are looking for that and it being lighter/smaller than the 18xl then, as far as I know, Tesla V3 is just about your only real choice.

• Upvote 1