Thinking about downgrading.

Funky

On 7/24/2023 at 11:12 AM, Funky said:

I want big wheel diameter, with small battery..

I don't see their 16" wheel being lighter than 20kg. And same time being faster than 35km/h. Carrying battery in backpack are pointless - you still carry it around. Also i won't be taking them in/out all the time.. Who will ever do that. :D 

Ninebot Z10? That should meet all your requirements, but it's a bit heavier though.

5 hours ago, Funky said:

Is there any wheel under 20kg with hollow bore axle? (Or what ever was the strong axle named..)

Being at 275lbs axle strength is my first thought/concern. Second is build quality. Third motor power. Fourth speed. Fifth range. In that order. :D 

---> EX30, Sherman S, ... : you should try these wheel and fall in love :wub:

3 hours ago, MadVlad said:

If you are looking for that and it being lighter/smaller than the 18xl then, as far as I know, Tesla V3 is just about your only real choice.

Confirm that Begode T3 give you an awesome ride : a small wheel designed to give so much pleasure in city :wub:

1 hour ago, InMoOnGoWa75012 said:

Confirm that Begode T3 give you an awesome ride : a small wheel designed to give so much pleasure in city :wub:

Interesting. 

I have an opposite opinion. 

I learnt on a T3. Then moved onto a V12, and now on an Abrams. 

As a learner's wheel, I think the T3 is competitive. As a first wheel, sure. But that's about it for me.

But @Funky is already riding an 18XL. I can't see how he will gain much, other then the large hollow axle. And they both weigh about 50 lbs.

6 hours ago, MadVlad said:

If you are looking for that and it being lighter/smaller than the 18xl then, as far as I know, Tesla V3 is just about your only real choice.

22kg vs 26kg big difference.. Not worth trying 2 sell my 18xl and buying it for 4 kg weight savings.

2 hours ago, InMoOnGoWa75012 said:

I don't need those type of wheels. It doesn't mater if i love them or not. I'm not using EUC for fun.. At the moment i want light as possible wheel. That goes at least ~35km/h speed. I wont be riding 4-5km distance with EX30 or Sherman S.. Because as i said - i need to carry the wheel ALOT. All new wheels are trash in my eyes. Simply because of weight. Sure if you don't need to carry them - they are awesome.

I think i gotta build my ow EUC.... Manufacturers will never build something that i will like. Could order some backwards compatible parts and put them together.. Doh it will take some time for sure. And so much work. 16x3" wheel with 800-1200Wh battery pack. Remove all useless crap like lights, speakers, etc.. Bare bone just motor, mother board and case. Heck i could even use METAL GAS CAN for case.. Put charger in the nozzle with screw on cap.

Anyone knows witch hollow bore motor is lightest? I wanna take look around if this idea is possible. Will build myself a TANK. :D Hardest part will be instaling like battery pack and motherboard and pedals to the DIY case. 

Or maybe buy Tesla V3 and change battery packs for smaller ones.(If possible..) Sure it will have less power, but i need only ~30km/h speed. Still it doesn't have the 16x3" tire which i want... xD Nvm after closer look V3 sucks ass also. Only motor is good enough. 

Edited by Funky

Building one wouldn't really be the problem. It's getting the controller to match the motor that will be the most difficult, unless you make your own controller.

Each controllers firmware is suited to the motor ie number of magnets, ride feel etc. So unless you use the matching components out of a complete wheel you may struggle. I know some OW guys have used 3rd party VESC controllers but I don't know if they are suitable for EUC use (enough amps?)

Obviously making a battery wouldn't be a big problem or indeed the shell tbh. You don't want lights either etc so that keeps it simple.

One does have to mention though, for a compact, light, well respected and solid wheel with a battery capacity smack bang in the range you want I think I would be looking at the V10F and be done with it. It doesn't have the 3" tyre, but then it doesn't need it either.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah - i got that part already. Choose any wheel you like "spec" wise. And simply build your own case. So you could add 16x3" or 18x3" tire.

V10F almost perfect. Doh no hollow bore motor. Old type axle..

Maybe some company will build something new in next 2-3 years.. My guess most new wheels are getting "stronger" axle by default now? Same for going with bigger tires.. So fingers crossed they will build something - that i actually will like.

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

Interesting. 

I have an opposite opinion. 

I learnt on a T3. Then moved onto a V12, and now on an Abrams. 

As a learner's wheel, I think the T3 is competitive. As a first wheel, sure. But that's about it for me.

But @Funky is already riding an 18XL. I can't see how he will gain much, other then the large hollow axle. And they both weigh about 50 lbs.

For me, Begode T3 is the queen in a city like Paris and its small tire is just magic ! ;)

Edited by InMoOnGoWa75012

2 hours ago, InMoOnGoWa75012 said:

For me, Begode T3 is the queen in a city like Paris and its small tire is just magic ! ;)

Do you need to lift or carry your wheel? 

If not, have you ridden something like a V12? I, myself, find the V12 a better wheel than the T3 in every way that I need it to be, for urban commuting.

I find it surprising that you got yourself an EX30 then. Was it because of range?

Follow up on my prior post, 18L is about 48 lbs, 18XL claimed weight ranges from 53 to 55 lbs. You could weigh yours to see what it actually is. V10F weighs about 45 lbs, not much lighter than the 18L.

I have a V8F, 34.8 lbs actual weight, but I weigh a bit less than 190 lbs and don't do drops. I run tire pressure at 41 psi to avoid rim damage. V8S weighs about 36.3 lbs (based on range of claimed weight, maybe someone here could weight a V8S if they have one). V10F jumps this up to 45 lbs, and I don't like the external trolley handle. I might consider an 18L someday, but I only ride as a hobby, 50 miles a month so it is hard to justify a new EUC. 

Edited by rcgldr

As an owner of both the T3 and 18XL putting over 3000km on each, I can say that the ride is  much harsher on the T3. The Tesla is a whole lot snappier though, motor doesn't grunt at all from a stop like the Kingsong does.  T3 doesn't have the upright gyro effect, so it wants to constantly carve. Pedal angle is aggressive too so you'll have to widen your stance a lot in comparison.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 4:10 AM, Funky said:

Is there any wheel under 20kg with hollow bore axle? (Or what ever was the strong axle named..)

Being at 275lbs axle strength is my first thought/concern. Second is build quality. Third motor power. Fourth speed. Fifth range. In that order. :D 

Maybe s18 v4 with new motor ? 

I came to EUC from riding Onewheels. I did a VESC conversion on my first Pint, so I have a little experience there... I rebuilt a board that I bricked with a 75V controller, and custom battery build. 

There might be a lot of traction for a custom build, if you really wanted to give it a try. It's actually a fantastic platform, and the community is generally great. Off the top of my head, there's off-the-shelf controllers rated at 21S (88V) and 100 amps continuous... there's probably something bigger if I dug around some more. Here's a link I snapped up: https://www.wyrdryds.com/products/tronic-250-vesc-controller?variant=41441747304646

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Better updated 16X then.. Or better yet 16S

Last year when the "16-inch LeaperKim" was leaked by eevees, I was imagining an OG Sherman the size of a 16S.  Of course that would have been too good to be true.

3 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

Last year when the "16-inch LeaperKim" was leaked by eevees, I was imagining an OG Sherman the size of a 16S.  Of course that would have been too good to be true.

Light and portable "toy" like EUC's are past.. They have tasted the profit margins that 3000-4000$ wheels make and don't wanna make cheap sub 1000-1500$ wheels anymore. Same time missing most sales they could have gotten. Most "normal" people don't need more than 25km range per day. And there are many who simply don't wanna gear up, or even buy gear, so we simply ride at running speed. Knowing if something happens - you simply run out of the fall.

Last mile EUC's have became to full flagged Car/Train/Bus replacement. Nothing wrong with that - i even love that! But same time we still need slower lightweight EUC's. Sure we still got old good models. But we also would like something newer...

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

I think that EUC riders now have two very distinct camps, one uses the EUC is their primary transport/hobby, they want the most performance/range and dont particularly care for the weight of the thing, the other is the commuter that wants primarily ergonomics and something thats under 50 pounds while having maximum possible performance within that. I am very much in the 2nd camp, I got into riding an EUC because it was convenient to park my car, pull the thing out, and then ride the wheel to my final destination, and then to carry the wheel into the office with me. I dont need an 80 pound wheel, I dont particularly want to carry one, I dont need 50 miles of range etc. And for someone like myself the evolution seems to have stopped entirely. Even the V12 is 64 pounds, which is crazy because its heavier than the V11 without a suspension. I keep waiting for the companies to balance things out, to start evolving model lines separately for each camp, but as of right now I have the two wheels I found to fit my needs best, neither is perfect but thats what we have.

• Upvote 3

madvlad,

wow, you got the same eucs as myself.  but i dont use my T V2 as a final device,  i just commute and shop with mine.  if i have to go farther, i simply use my suv or public transit.  im looking forward to adding something that is in the 80lb range or so to get the xtra power, speed, and stability.  at 45lbs, the T V2 is quite light and i dont know if the manufacturers are able to make a lighter device with more range...

i probably belong in the 1st group you mention,  but really i dont think i fit in either group.  i get whatever i think i need at that moment, seeing whats available.  if i had the financial means, i think it would be interesting to build a DIY euc project (and the time needed as well) but then again,  i dont have the time to repair stuff either...

30 minutes ago, bpong said:

madvlad,

wow, you got the same eucs as myself.  but i dont use my T V2 as a final device,  i just commute and shop with mine.  if i have to go farther, i simply use my suv or public transit.  im looking forward to adding something that is in the 80lb range or so to get the xtra power, speed, and stability.  at 45lbs, the T V2 is quite light and i dont know if the manufacturers are able to make a lighter device with more range...

i probably belong in the 1st group you mention,  but really i dont think i fit in either group.  i get whatever i think i need at that moment, seeing whats available.  if i had the financial means, i think it would be interesting to build a DIY euc project (and the time needed as well) but then again,  i dont have the time to repair stuff either...

They always could take some range off. I charge my 18xl 1554Wh wheel once a week... When battery drops down to 50%. If i really wanted, i could even charge 3 times a month. :D 

Small battery, yet powerful wheel. Why CAN'T they make something like that? Use fast discharge cells or something.  Would love to see something in ~800Wh, but same time could go 40ish Km/H. It easily could be 20kg wheel. Same time would beat all Scooters that are regulated to go only 25km/h speed by law.

More and more scooter users would buy something that is lighter than their scooter and same time offer more range/speed. When i started to interest about PEV's, i at start was looking at scooters. But then i found out about EUC's. Naturally EUC's was much better option - more speed/range at smaller size.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

They always could take some range off. I charge my 18xl 1554Wh wheel once a week... When battery drops down to 50%. If i really wanted, i could even charge 3 times a month. :D 

Small battery, yet powerful wheel. Why CAN'T they make something like that? Use fast discharge cells or something.  Would love to see something in ~800Wh, but same time could go 40ish Km/H. It easily could be 20kg wheel. Same time would beat all Scooters that are regulated to go only 25km/h speed by law.

More and more scooter users would buy something that is lighter than their scooter and same time offer more range/speed. When i started to interest about PEV's, i at start was looking at scooters. But then i found out about EUC's. Naturally EUC's was much better option - more speed/range at smaller size.

Exactly, my ideal non-suspension wheel would be something with V8 ergos and Tesla performance, even if its closer to Tesla 2 in weight, maybe a wider tire. Cant speak for suspension wheels since I have no experience, but I picked up someones S18 (didnt ride it) and it didnt feel too heavy/bulky, still manageable. I am convinced that Tesla 2 performance can be had with a suspension at the cost of 5 extra pounds, but it might take some clever use of materials such as aluminum/cf and some good engineering. The S18 was almost there but they saved on weight in the wrong place, so the thing came out underpowered.

4 hours ago, Funky said:

More and more scooter users would buy something that is lighter than their scooter and same time offer more range/speed

most people I know who ride scooters do so because it is relatively easy / intuitive. I sometimes ride with a pev group and know only one person who went from scooter to euc.

29 minutes ago, Uras said:

most people I know who ride scooters do so because it is relatively easy / intuitive. I sometimes ride with a pev group and know only one person who went from scooter to euc.

Interesting. In the group I ride with we have many converts. From scooters, one wheels and esk8. Some of them switch between devices. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:04 AM, InMoOnGoWa75012 said:

:roflmao:

Funky: “I want to find a super light EUC.”

You: “Try a few of the heaviest wheels ever made!”

Gee, thanks. Great help.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Funky: “I want to find a super light EUC.”

You: “Try a few of the heaviest wheels ever made!”

Gee, thanks. Great help.

Not really.  No one will be able to help him atm.

The culprit lies with the buyer.

It boils down to being @Funky simply is not ready to buy a new wheel yet.