Is EUC a Way of Travel Or is it a Sport???

MetricUSA

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The ones with studded pedals. :D

I call them "weaklings.." Use them cavemen feet and grow some balls.. Don't tell me you can't even walk over some legos.. Pathetic. :D 

And you call yourself a "Men"? Nah bruh.. You are a Princess. :D 

Edited by Funky

21 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Nah.  Barefoot on spiked pedals is fine, especially when the nice weather arrives!  https://youtu.be/Zx5ncrFcx3g

That might be the case until you fall off. I still haven't forgotten just how much and for how long bare ankles crushed by heavy metal pedals feels, and it's been nearly 10 years since it happened to me ! Since that day I have religiously worn MC boots every time I get on a wheel and consequently have never hurt my ankles again, even when the wheel has twisted out under me, or has landed directly on them. Yeah, you can do it without, but by god be expecting the ALL the pain, and expect to potentially be unable to ride for months, or even walk for some time if it goes wrong ! Nope, in my book, bare ankles / feet is pure unnecessary, easily avoidable risk. 

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That might be the case until you fall off. I still haven't forgotten just how much and for how long bare ankles crushed by heavy metal pedals feels, and it's been nearly 10 years since it happened to me ! Since that day I have religiously worn MC boots every time I get on a wheel and consequently have never hurt my ankles again, even when the wheel has twisted out under me, or has landed directly on them. Yeah, you can do it without, but by god be expecting the ALL the pain, and expect to potentially be unable to ride for months, or even walk for some time if it goes wrong ! Nope, in my book, bare ankles / feet is pure unnecessary, easily avoidable risk. 

Careful projecting fears on others.  There are times for equipment (eg: personal) and there are times things happen no matter what.  Most injuries happen around the house ya know.  Stairs, chairs, dropped things, excessive sugar, oooh-meat, ... etc.  What'd be next?  no riding? No food w/o permission from ... (recent legislation was proposed to that effect in NY).

Edited by Elliott Reitz
spelling
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Careful projecting fears on others. 

Yeah, you see I wouldn't call it that - I would call it 'warning others informed by experience' ! As you know, I am not for telling anyone what to do, but it would be almost negligent of me not to point out the risks, and not to confirm how much stuff hurts when it all goes tits up ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Cerbera said:

Yeah, you see I wouldn't call it that - I would call it 'warning others from experience' !

There was some of that in your post... and some of the other too.  My worst ever foot/ankle injury was on a toboggan 

BTW, wrist guards protected my hands/wrists pretty good a few times (most likely to be useful in adverse event).  Also, full face helmets are worth wearing in cold weather or high wind (speed).  

42 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Riding at beach in full motorcycle gear in hot, hot summer..

Nah thanks.. I will ride in my white undies. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Funky said:

And you call yourself a "Men"? Nah bruh.. You are a Princess. :D 

In that case, I’d rather be a princess. :) (Maybe the “mr” in my nick is just a hoax anyway…?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

Riding at beach in full motorcycle gear in hot, hot summer..

Nah thanks.. I will ride in my white undies. 

Yes agreed, it is both too hot and uncomfortable riding in full gear on hot Summer days. I spent most of yesterday's narrated ride whinging about how damn hot I was :)

But hot doesn't hurt later if it all goes wrong, so ATGATT it is... and so I remain firmly in the Princess tower with @mrelwood !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes agreed, it is both too hot and uncomfortable riding in full gear on hot Summer days. I spent most of yesterday's narrated ride whinging about how damn hot I was :)

But hot doesn't hurt later if it all goes wrong, so ATGATT it is...

Pff. Only gear i have is helmet knee/wrist guards. Only thing that changes from winter/summer.. In winter i got 2x layer long pants and a puffy jacket. In summer i'm ridding T-shirt jeans/shorts.

And for those slower/short rides i only wear wrist guards. Even in summer. :D I simply don't ride faster than i could "run". In case something goes wrong - i can run out of the fall.

At those "fun", longer rides where i go over 30km/h speeds.. Sure i get the helmet/knee guards also. So far - So good.

My only fear is the EUC stops working mid ride.. I have zero fear falling myself. As i would fall because of my mistake..

Edited by Funky

6 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

You’re not trying hard enough, princess. :roflmao: :cheers:

Yup.. I know.. I could ride faster as i still got 20% safety margin left. I could try riding faster. :) I have been thinking about increasing my 42km/h alarm to 45km/h. :D But i won't, because 42km/h is plenty fast.

Doh i won't lie - i like that feeling, flying true air like a ballerina. :wub: Only thing i need is that pink tutu.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kingsong Customer Support said:

interesting topic for discussion.

yes there is a trend to make EUC bigger ,faster ,and for outdoor extreme sports hobby.

Yet most people aren't going that fast.. Anything over 80km/h is simply not needed for a device that is going on "one wheel". In city cars are also limited by speed laws. And because EUC's wont be going on highways.. You don't need to increase the speed. Even Inmotion V13 that can go 90km/h is overkill!!! But there will always be some morons that want to go even faster. :facepalm:

More speed - More weight - More cost = NO GOOD!

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:25 AM, Funky said:

,... More speed - More weight - More cost = NO GOOD!

i used to think that it was overkill to build eucs that are on the extreme in terms of weight,  power, and top speed.  but the more i read in this blog,  the more i see a parallel between cars and eucs...  if you can afford it,  and want it,  then get it... 

an old honda civic hatchback,  a nice honda civic type-R,  old vw orig-beetle,  ferrari 458, mclaren F1,  ford pinto, renault leCar (hahahaaa....), etc,...

who are we to decide on what others ride ?  we can always say what would be great to have and hope that the manufacturers listen and meet our expectations...

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, bpong said:

i used to think that it was overkill to build eucs that are on the extreme in terms of weight,  power, and top speed.  but the more i read in this blog,  the more i see a parallel between cars and eucs...  if you can afford it,  and want it,  then get it... 

an old honda civic hatchback,  a nice honda civic type-R,  old vw orig-beetle,  ferrari 458, mclaren F1,  ford pinto, renault leCar (hahahaaa....), etc,...

who are we to decide on what others ride ?  we can always say what would be great to have and hope that the manufacturers listen and meet our expectations...

Some will take the EUC as extreme sports hobby,it's these riders' need drives manufacturers to make faster wheels.though faster speed always means risk to life.

for commuting riders, previous models are enough, but they need to be upgraded in some parts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bpong said:

I don't care what/who/where rides. The thing that robs me the wrong way is - that all new wheels are in that category. Riding with cars going 70km/h speed.. (Anyone who needs the monster EUC - they already have plenty of options to choose from.)

Yet slower, lighter models aren't been made at all. Nothing wrong with 2017-2019 models - they only are "outdated". (Outdated - as in 72v/84v systems. Plain looks. No real smart BMS, etc..)

Only thing i like about the older models are - that they still have somewhat good quality control. Compared to all new wheels. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Funky said:

,... Yet slower, lighter models aren't been made at all. Nothing wrong with 2017-2019 models - they only are "outdated". (Outdated - as in 72v/84v systems. Plain looks. No real smart BMS, etc..)

Only thing i like about the older models are - that they still have somewhat good quality control. Compared to all new wheels. :D 

interesting statement related to my shopping dilemma for 2023.... funky got it dead on.

i was hot to trot to get a Patton when info and reviews happened early 2023 but after seeing what inmotion says about their up and coming 'adventure' euc,  i decided to put the brakes on any purchases.  the more i waited this year,  the more i appreciate the lo-tech of my now old gotway tesla V2.  narrow small 16" wheel/tire, 84V, limited range, and no suspension whatsoever.  its perfect for my downtown commuting use.  i test rode a few newer models early this summer and realized amongst other things,  those larger faster more powerful eucs may be more than i really need.  mind you,  i will still get something that is current but i will not be selling my old tesla V2.  the new euc i may be getting will be my 'sports car';  my V2 tesla will be my old honda civic hatchback from the 70s - still rideable, dependable and still problem-free.  except it needs a new tire though...

with all the postings i have read from the Patton thread,  its not exactly perfect either so im happy that 4300$CAD is still in my account.  still waiting and wondering if really anything new will appear this remainder of 2023...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bpong said:

interesting statement related to my shopping dilemma for 2023.... funky got it dead on.

i was hot to trot to get a Patton when info and reviews happened early 2023 but after seeing what inmotion says about their up and coming 'adventure' euc,  i decided to put the brakes on any purchases.  the more i waited this year,  the more i appreciate the lo-tech of my now old gotway tesla V2.  narrow small 16" wheel/tire, 84V, limited range, and no suspension whatsoever.  its perfect for my downtown commuting use.  i test rode a few newer models early this summer and realized amongst other things,  those larger faster more powerful eucs may be more than i really need.  mind you,  i will still get something that is current but i will not be selling my old tesla V2.  the new euc i may be getting will be my 'sports car';  my V2 tesla will be my old honda civic hatchback from the 70s - still rideable, dependable and still problem-free.  except it needs a new tire though...

with all the postings i have read from the Patton thread,  its not exactly perfect either so im happy that 4300$CAD is still in my account.  still waiting and wondering if really anything new will appear this remainder of 2023...

I mainly look for something that is "better" than my 18xl and same time can replace it. (~Same weight/range, but faster, more powerful.)  I'm one of those - one wheel owners. Who don't need or want a second one. Till i see something worth spending my $$$, i don't even plan looking at future releases.

Yeah maybe the new Inmotion lineup with removable battery packs will be worth. I could get the 20" (Actually 18") wheel with one battery pack. :D (One can hope it will be under 30kg. Yet somehow i think even with one battery pack it will be around ~35kg... More weight in design, etc..)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 7:28 PM, InfiniteWheelie said:

The sporty side pushes the technology forward and will improve it even for slow and casual riders.

Doesn’t seem like that though. They stopped designing 20-30kg wheels in 2020. And the only sub 20kg ones are the tin can shelled Mten4 and A2, the latter also having an unexplained cutout issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 2:48 PM, Elliott Reitz said:

No!  Boots especially don't help - those Florsheim shoes are the best I have for riding.  Forget about Elbow & Knee guards, I don't wear those.  I tried them with my 1st wheel, an e+.  They never protected me from anything even when I was a noob with some crashing.  

LOL.  Scared protagonists wanted me to be injected and to wear a mask too.  So yea everyone please be careful not to promote the fear fueled lawmakers that sometimes kill sports completely (for their jurisdiction). Projecting fears upon others reduces freedom and can even kill the whole sport like what's been done to a lot of kids with bicycles.  i.e.:  THAT killed the bike/skateboard park in Syracuse NY (helmet rules, leash rules, electrification rules, etc).  Instead all the skating and biking is done around the park and the skateboard park is empty other than a couple toddlers w/ parents).  Use gear for what the gear is good for not the appearance of it.  Excessive gear with over-speed-risk vs acquired-skills is a common noob thing similar to how the leathers and gear took over most of the Harley Davidson dealership store fronts.  Caution to the common noob problem in motorcycling... excessive gear amplifying excessive confidence beyond acquired skills (and laws that mandate helmets reduce safety).  Yes I'm saying that motorcycle helmet laws reduce safety.  When I studied the statistics 25 years ago I found that motorcycle helmets increased mortality by 30% via 15% increased accidents and then 17% increased mortality of riders with hemets vs no-helmets.  It turns  out that the wiplash broken neck at the base of the skull kills more people than the number saved by reduced skull-protection.  (the best data at the time was MD when MD repealed their helmet law in the early 1990s, but then passed another ... DOT statistics backed up my assertions but of course that data is now oll gone and censored by TPTB$$$.

What's better than adding gear is skill building as part of EUC life.  Practice things in every ride (inclemently increase difficulty).  I tried to feature that in the narrative that's hard to hear cause of wind noise, and in the title:  "sweeping turns, and riding the crack".  Riding the crack helps iron out the wobble management (especially for full speed on the ultra-twitchy mTen3).  And sweeping turns at speed are similar.  Oh and I did some reverse-steering wind effect demos in it too.    That's the 'way of life'

I agree with all of this.  It rather disturbs me that I constantly read that someone has just gone and got a V12/V13/ MasterPro etc as their first wheel….because they need the speed, you know!….even when they have yet to step on a wheel for the first time. It can’t be that hard anyway, they’ve seen all the hardcore riders on YouTube..and it looks easy, right! They then buy all the ‘ Kit’ …and dress up like Darth Vader …(I think a lot just like dressing up and looking ‘Cool’ and Intimidating)…. They then think that because they have all the amazing Kit on, they will be immune from hurting themselves. This give a totally false sense of security, and can lead to irresponsible and stupid riding practices . Our new rider, with his massive wheel, and two weeks experience, thinking he has now cracked it and is pretty expert now as he hasn’t fallen off in two days. He heads out to see how fast he can go…when actually having little to no acquired skills to keep himself and anyone with the misfortune to be near him safe. It takes time, miles and effort to learn how to ride well, so that the wheel becomes an extension of the rider…and if you’ve got some brains, you always keep learning and improving. The best safety gear available is to take the time to learn the skills required to be a good, competent and responsible rider. That will get you out of far more scrapes than the Darth Vader outfit! 

1 hour ago, Nostris said:

I agree with all of this.  It rather disturbs me that I constantly read that someone has just gone and got a V12/V13/ MasterPro etc as their first wheel….because they need the speed, you know!….even when they have yet to step on a wheel for the first time. It can’t be that hard anyway, they’ve seen all the hardcore riders on YouTube..and it looks easy, right! They then buy all the ‘ Kit’ …and dress up like Darth Vader …(I think a lot just like dressing up and looking ‘Cool’ and Intimidating)…. They then think that because they have all the amazing Kit on, they will be immune from hurting themselves. This give a totally false sense of security, and can lead to irresponsible and stupid riding practices . Our new rider, with his massive wheel, and two weeks experience, thinking he has now cracked it and is pretty expert now as he hasn’t fallen off in two days. He heads out to see how fast he can go…when actually having little to no acquired skills to keep himself and anyone with the misfortune to be near him safe. It takes time, miles and effort to learn how to ride well, so that the wheel becomes an extension of the rider…and if you’ve got some brains, you always keep learning and improving. The best safety gear available is to take the time to learn the skills required to be a good, competent and responsible rider. That will get you out of far more scrapes than the Darth Vader outfit! 

There's nothing wrong with buying a V12/V13/EX30/etc as someone's first wheel. It's not the easiest way to learn and they're making it harder on themselves, but people can buy whatever they want. Choosing to buy a big heavy wheel as a first wheel is a completely separate choice from choosing to make unsafe, ignorant, and dangerous choices in how they ride the wheel.

Also the person you're replying to is 100% wrong about helmet safety data. This article is an overview, here's the underlying study. Someone comparing motorcycle helmets to COVID vaccines is clearly someone who doesn't care about the science of mortality rates.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, eezo said:

Choosing to buy a big heavy wheel as a first wheel is a completely separate choice from choosing to make unsafe, ignorant, and dangerous choices in how they ride the wheel.

This 100%, there are so many assumptions made in the post above yours that it doesn't even warrant a response.

Edited by Clem604
  • Upvote 1