Is EUC a Way of Travel Or is it a Sport???

MetricUSA

40 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

The mindset of bigger faster etc. is what progressed us into the medium sized and suspension wheels in the first place, -- I'll take a V11, S18, 18XL over my old V8 and V5F every day of the week, I thank my lucky stars I don't have to ride those anymore. Can't be too surprised they didn't stop at those wheels, especially since people seem willing to pay for the big and costly wheels coming out right now.

But even there, lots of little things that go into big wheels will eventually be used to make medium wheels better too. We're already seeing a bit of a rebound, with smaller wheels (by today's standards) in the T4 and the S19. I'd expect that to continue since there can't be a huge market for a 70mph, $8k wheel.  Surely we've reached the limit for ultra-wheels...

Doh T4 and S19 isn't a "small & lightweight" in any means.. :D They are still in heavy class. The ones you mentioned before - V11, S18, 18XL are the medium class. And still not a lightweight.. V8, V5 is the right ones. And by today - we could get really fast/powerful lightweight wheels.

1500W wheel with at least 1000Wh battery under 20kg weight is doable.

Edited by Funky

3 minutes ago, Funky said:

Doh T4 and S19 isn't a "small & lightweight" in any means.. :D They are still in heavy class. The ones you mentioned before - V11, S18, 18XL are the medium class. And still not a lightweight.. V8, V5 is the right ones. And by today - we could get really fast/powerful lightweight wheels.

1500W wheel with at least 1000Wh battery under 20kg weight is doable.

I thought you needed at least 2000w wheel? 

1 minute ago, Hellkitten said:

I thought you needed at least 2000w wheel? 

1500W continues.. It will have over 2000w peak.

Example Falcon - 1000W motor and 2800W peak. That wheel could have been around 20kg and still have suspension. :D Without suspension even lighter..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Begode has been building a number of different classes of wheel in the last few years.

From their sales numbers, they would know which models are good sellers for them.

Going forward, each manufacturer will build the wheels that they think will help them sell more wheels.

Leaper Kim doesn't build wheels that weigh less than 86 lbs now. And they seem to be thriving.

So they are proof that it is possible for an euc manufacturer to be profitable without building a small, light euc.

Conversely, none of the big four build only small euc's currently.

Inmotion and Kingsong did try not to build euc's that can go no faster than 50 km/h. But eventually they gave in.

As for myself, I find that I want a more capable wheel for commuting.

My bias is towards bigger wheels.

I wouldn't want something smaller than my V12. And when I ride my V12, my average speed is lower.

Additionally, riding on suspension wheel is more comfortable.

Since I prefer to ride a wheel that gives me a secure and comfortable ride, over time, I see myself gravitating towards heavier and larger wheels.

And all I do is ride from point A to point B in an urban setting. And I ride the same routes, so basically I ride car-replacement miles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

We're already seeing a bit of a rebound, with smaller wheels (by today's standards) in the T4 and the S19. I'd expect that to continue since there can't be a huge market for a 70mph, $8k wheel.  Surely we've reached the limit for ultra-wheels...

IMO, it is not a rebound, and it is doubtful that it will become a trend going forward.

What I see is that the big wheel trend will continue, and will remain the main market.

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

What I see is that the big wheel trend will continue, and will remain the main market

I agree with that. I needed something more then my V11 for real commuting and urban riding. I could do it on that, but some areas I’d be maxing out its capabilities. For me though I don’t think I want anything heavier then a Sherman S. I weigh 155lbs without gear. 

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

I wouldn't want something smaller than my V12. And when I ride my V12, my average speed is lower.

I think you’re missing out on a great ride. I probably ride my Menten-4 more often then any other wheel. Now, the rides themselves are much shorter and destination oriented. The extremely small but wide tire feels different than any euc. 
I do subscribe to the idea of a S,M,L wheel for use case. A tiny wheel is so much fun in a different way then a large wheel, and it’s so unobtrusive. You can even put it in a bag and carry it if needed. 

With the transit strike going on there in the west coast, has it affected you at all? Are you bombing past poor commuters wishing they could ride your magical machine? 🤣 I guess this answers the question if this is a sport or transportation. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I agree with that. I needed something more then my V11 for real commuting and urban riding. I could do it on that, but some areas I’d be maxing out its capabilities. For me though I don’t think I want anything heavier then a Sherman S. I weigh 155lbs without gear. 

And i weight 280lbs and my commutes are VERY SHORT. I mostly want lightweight wheel and solid axle. A wheel that can take beating because of my weight. I don't need speed and range. (At the moment looking at Falcon - replacement for me 18xl maybe? If it gets a carry handle and doesn't go over 26kg!!! Still to heavy for 14" wheel WTF! Doh it's mostly because all metal build..)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

If all I ride are on smooth roads, my V12 is almost enough at the moment. 

However, I also like riding my Abrams on smooth roads. On bumpy roads, I need to constantly squat down, which makes it more tiring, or ride at a slower pace. Also, if the road surfaces are slippery, my average speed drops even more, and feel less secure.

On the other hand, on my cushy S22, I feel more secure on wet slippery bumpy roads, and my average speed is higher.

The odd thing is, I can't say I would prefer to ride my S22 all the time. When the weather is better, I may prefer to ride at a slower pace, and ride my V12, or my Abrams.

I think for me, less than 100 lbs is still manageable since I don't need to lift it.

I think you’re missing out on a great ride. I probably ride my Menten-4 more often then any other wheel. Now, the rides themselves are much shorter and destination oriented. The extremely small but wide tire feels different than any euc. 
I do subscribe to the idea of a S,M,L wheel for use case. A tiny wheel is so much fun in a different way then a large wheel, and it’s so unobtrusive. You can even put it in a bag and carry it if needed

You may very well be right. I have never got an itch to try a wheel smaller than a T3.

So, no experience with tiny wheels here.

I have one use-case, which is year-round urban commute.

Currently, I enjoy riding my V12, Abrams, and S22. The T3 has been relegated to a backup of a backup, or when riding in heavily salted slush.

My interest in riding my V12 returned after having made some changes in tuning, and putting on a different tire.

With the transit strike going on there in the west coast, has it affected you at all? Are you bombing past poor commuters wishing they could ride your magical machine? 🤣 I guess this answers the question if this is a sport or transportation. 

Nope. I keep on trucking on my euc.

We had gotten a snow dump. The temperature drop to -13 C. I don't see any riders of any kind.

When the weather warmed to -4, and the residential streets are covered in snow or slush, ice (city didn't plow nor salted) still no one along where I ride. I ride on roads one level above side streets then.

Now that it has been raining continuously for days and melted the snow, and the temperatures hoovers above 5 C, I do see handful of cyclists. I don't see people riding euc's. There may be an electric scooter or e-bike or two.

In frigid weather, people don't really ride locally, at least not along where I ride.

Over the winter months, normally, there aren't that many riders to start with.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Funky said:

And i weight 280lbs and my commutes are VERY SHORT. I mostly want lightweight wheel and solid axle. A wheel that can take beating because of my weight. I don't need speed and range. (At the moment looking at Falcon - replacement for me 18xl maybe? If it gets a carry handle and doesn't go over 26kg!!! Still to heavy for 14" wheel WTF! Doh it's mostly because all metal build..)

I can’t imagine anyone here is unsure of the wheel you’re looking for……. I hope very much that you get your dream euc. I do think there is a place for smaller wheels and last mile devices. You ride to the train, get on, then debark and keep riding. There is also a large number of people who ride the whole distance of their commute. I hope there will be a great selection for both cases in the future. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

There is also a large number of people who ride the whole distance of their commute.

Oh i know.. For some EUC'S are replacement for their car. Sadly i need to carry my wheel A LOT. And can't ride whole commute (I work next town.. And only railway/highway is connected to my town. And 24km one way distance riding everyday - don't really wanna do that in rain/snow/everyday.) That's why i take train. And want light/powerful euc.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 12:00 PM, Funky said:

For some EUC'S are replacement for their car.

I sold my car after a couple of years of riding. I use a local car-share service if I happen to need one for shopping or transporting passengers or whatever. Wheels + carshare is awesome because a wheel can get you to an available car that might be a kilometer away in no time flat. 

On 1/25/2024 at 8:46 PM, techyiam said:

IMO, it is not a rebound, and it is doubtful that it will become a trend going forward.

What I see is that the big wheel trend will continue, and will remain the main market.

Time will tell

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I sold my car after a couple of years of riding. I use a local car-share service if I happen to need one for shopping or transporting passengers or whatever. Wheels + carshare is awesome because a wheel can get you to an available car that might be a kilometer away in no time flat. 

Yeah in big city we also got that option here.. In smaller towns we don't have that.

In my city we don't even have traffic lights. :D Only the "zebra" marked crosswalks here. (That should tell all you need to know - how small the population is around here.) Same time town being 6,82 km² big - we don't even need wheel to travel from one side of town to other side. :D 

Doh having small light wheel is awesome. Beats walking..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1