The Photo Thread

SlowMo

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice!  So, did the Tesla make it to the top ;)

Fire Fire ?...lol

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice!  So, did the Tesla make it to the top ;)

Fire Fire ?...lol

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:laughbounce2: 

My hat would say, "People (because dogs attack wheels)"     :D

people attack wheels, too.

E-bikers, these sidewalks are made for walking

You can debate whether Seattle has a war on cars, but there’s no doubt about the war on pedestrians.

by   / April 17, 2018
LimeBike bikeshare bicycles along Alaskan Way waterfront in downtown Seattle, Washington on Tuesday, August 8, 2017.

LimeBike bikeshare bicycles along Alaskan Way waterfront in August 2017. (Photo by Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

People may differ on whether Seattle really has a war on cars to discourage people from driving. But the war on pedestrians is definitely game-on.  

It’s time for people in Seattle who use the sidewalks — and that’s just about everybody — to send a message to elected and appointed public officials. Years of inattention and indifference to pedestrian safety and convenience on sidewalks and crosswalks has got to change.

Pedestrians have long had reason to worry about the risk of getting nailed by cars in crosswalks. What’s new this year, however, is that Olympia has made your Seattle sidewalks into all-out bikeways for the newest hottest thing on two wheels: 20 mile-per-hour top speed, battery-boosted, electric-assist bikes.

This officially arrives in mid-June when the just-signed Senate Bill 6434 becomes law. That will have the effect of conferring on Seattle the dubious distinction of being practically the only major metropolitan city in North America where the new e-bikes — electrically assisted bikes — claim side-by-side space with pedestrians on every square yard of the public sidewalks. 

So, it will now be cars and bikes against pedestrians.

How could that have happened?

You need one essential background fact. Already when it comes to regular bikes, Seattle has an ordinance dating from 1979 allowing bikes to be ridden even today on all Seattle sidewalks, including in its busiest pedestrian areas. That’s a throwback to an earlier time — before the growth of bicycle commuting as well as the surge of recreational riding, before wide recognition of sidewalks as the special refuge for the elderly or disabled, before safety experts drew attention to the risks of sidewalk riding to both cyclists and pedestrians and before congestion on sidewalks mirrored urban growth just as on the roadways. That is why in major North American cities, unlike in Seattle, free-for-all sidewalk riding is a long-abandoned, permissive anachronism.

Regardless of the outdated ordinance, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) last summer eagerly dove into a dockless bikeshare program it hoped would be a nationally celebrated bike-friendly rebound from its Pronto debacle. SDOT in July granted permits that opened the gates for three companies to go into business on the streets and sidewalks with 10,000 ride-and-drop-anywhere bikes. 

Predictable trouble immediately brewed. Rent-a-bikes in violation of the permits were scattered all over sidewalks, curb ramps, bus loading zones and even people’s lawns. That created a special new challenge for sidewalk-dependent pedestrians with disabilities. 

An rental bike is left in the middle of a downtown transit stop near services for the disabled/ A rental bike is left in the middle of a downtown transit stop near services for the disabled (Photo by Douglas MacDonald)

An unhappy but largely powerless SDOT, having poorly prepared for the discarded bikes problem, was left only jawboning the companies to clean up their own and their inconsiderate riders’ bad.  

Worse for annoyance and everyone’s safety, the new bikes’ riders — usually noticeably indifferent to the helmet law as well as other people’s sidewalk prerogatives — were also cruising through the pedestrians even in Seattle’s busiest areas under color of the 40-year-old sidewalk ordinance. That brought an old lurking problem to a big new level. Some of SDOT’s own top managers privately acknowledged that the uptick in sidewalk riding was outside of national norms.

But SDOT’s bikeshare proponents had no appetite for remedial action against the sidewalk riding. Were they too invested in the glow of their national bikeshare limelight? Or too intimidated to risk a pummeling from Seattle’s take-no-prisoners bike lobby?

In January came hundreds of the new battery-boosted electric-assist rent-a-bikes.  Exploiting SDOT’s permit to use city streets and sidewalks, LimeBike crowedthat its e-bike launch would favor Seattle with more e-bikes than any other city in the country. SDOT itself conditioned that e-bike launch with a ban on these faster, heavier rent-a-bikes on the sidewalks. Unable or unwilling to assure that by fixing Seattle’s own obsolete permission, they seized a lucky rescue net: A state law was already in place prohibiting e-bike riding on sidewalks everywhere. So, SDOT required LimeBike to stencil every one of its 500 e-bikes with a notice that sidewalk riding was prohibited. At least that would distance SDOT from the folly of otherwise inevitable sidewalk mayhem. Meanwhile hundreds more e-bikes were expected soon to arrive from Spin and Ofo, the two SDOT permit-holders from China, home base to the global bikeshare boom.

Then came the big blindside hit to Seattle’s pedestrians. SDOT had neglected to keep an eye over its shoulder on the bike lobby. Washington Bikes/Cascade Bike Club — which merged in 2016 and claim to be the nation’s largest statewide bicycle non-profit — had its own ideas. Seeing e-bikes, wholly independently of bikeshare, as the fastest growing segment of all bicycle sales, Washington Bikes has embraced an e-bike vision. E-bikes — ridden by everyone, young and old, on every terrain and in every weather — would finally fetch Seattle to the long-promised but slow-arriving bicycling Nirvana. Suitable legislation in Olympia on new e-bike classifications and standards would power the liftoff.

Legislation that became Senate Bill 6434, of course, needed helpful legislators. That’s where Washington Bikes struck great good fortune. Two very influential people, Senate Majority Leader Sharon Nelson, D-Maury Island, and state Sen. Christine Rolfes, D-Bainbridge Island, turned out to be recently converted e-bike aficionados. In legislative hearings, they each testified rhapsodically about riding their own e-bikes around the rural precincts of Vashon Island and Bainbridge Island. Nelson surely sealed the deal: “I am in love with my bike. It makes you feel like you are 25 again, even if you are a bit over 40.”  

The bill refashioned existing law to define two classes, a 20 mph top-speed e-bike class and a 28 mph class. It also did away with existing law requiring e-bike riders to be at least 16 years old.

Most critically for Seattle and any other locality without its own sidewalk bike-riding regulation in place, the new law erased the old state law prohibiting e-bike riding on sidewalks. (Even a 28 mph class e-bike can be on a sidewalk where a bike lane crosses a sidewalk.) Thus vanished into thin air the bulwark SDOT had been relying on to keep the new bikeshare e-bikes off Seattle sidewalks.  And of course, the legislation opened the sidewalks in Seattle not just to bikeshare e-bikes but also to all the ones selling at a hot pace to individuals.

Sensible places like Bellingham, Olympia and Redmond that had already restricted sidewalk riding don’t have to adopt new legislation to keep their regulations. It’s Seattle where, unless city officials step up a new ordinance, “look out” will be the new watchword for pedestrians and “on your left” as riders whip past you from behind — if you get a warning at all. Interestingly, Bellevue, like Seattle, now has no existing local controls in place, despite the city’s issuing cautionary public safety advice against adult sidewalk-riding on any bike.

Prices give good insight into the disposable income of the new personal e-bike rider — whether 12 years old or 70 — who will blow past you on the sidewalk. The 30 e-bike models now advertised in Seattle and Bellevue by Gregg’s Cycle range in price from $2,300 to $6,000.

Don’t overlook a big e-commerce play to make new uses of the sidewalks, too. Domino’s Pizza already delivers to downtown condo buildings on sidewalk-riding e-bikes. A lot more of that will be coming. 

What's coming next? In Seattle, we know that at least LimeBike eventually envisions40 percent of its dockless bikes to be e-bikes. And that’s nothing compared to the surging count of people’s personal e-bikes. 

And the e-bikes are not just headed for sidewalks; supporters are eager to invade Seattle’s popular multi-use trails — including Burke-Gilman — which are already crowded with ordinary recreational cyclists, joggers, old and young walkers, dogs and children. 

SDOT stated in a recent briefing for members of the disability community that it was unhappy already to observe e-bike riding on sidewalks in disregard of the stenciled prohibition on the bikes. In the wake of e-bikes on the sidewalks will inevitably come more e-unicycleshoverboardsuniwheels and motorized skateboards, too. LimeBike has just launched 15 mph electric scooter-share in Washington, D.C.  

Along with SDOT, Mayor Jenny Durkan and the Seattle City Council should realize that they have also been dropped into a tricky political spot about the entire dockless bikeshare program and the sidewalks. Consider that two key SDOT staffers — one the head of transportation and the other the chief planner for bikesharing — last July boldly designed the big dockless bikeshare program for Seattle in the aftermath of the shutdown of Pronto — and have since landed with companies in the industry. The model produced by bikeshare career opportunists probably didn’t bring Seattle all the right answers. 

One place for Durkan, the City Council and SDOT to start to make adjustments is a look around the country to see where bikes — e-bikes, too — don’t intrude on and compete with pedestrians because sidewalk bike-riding is prohibited altogether or judiciously restricted in the busiest parts of town. Seattle is an outlier in its sidewalk bike-riding permissiveness with virtually no company even among the most progressive bike-friendly cities. Cities everywhere commonly restrict or prohibit sidewalk bike-riding, including many cities admired by Seattle cyclists and transportation planners: Washington, D.C.; San Francisco; New York; Portland; Vancouver, British Columbia, and even Copenhagen, Denmark. (Click here for a list I've compiled.)

Story Continues Below

A rental bike directly interferes with a transit rider as she turns into a pedestrian (Photo by Douglas MacDonald)

A rental bike directly interferes with a transit rider as she exits a bus and becomes a pedestrian. (Photo by Douglas MacDonald)

An obvious next step: Seattle needs a new ordinance for everyone’s sake (and to support a good future of dockless bikeshare): No bike-riding on sidewalks in Seattle’s Comprehensive Plan-designated busy urban centers — including Downtown/South Lake Union, First Hill/Capitol Hill and the University District — and urban villages, such as Ballard, West Seattle Junction, Columbia City and Fremont. As often found elsewhere, certainly a carve-out is OK for bike-mounted public safety officers and for children under 12 riding bikes with smaller than 26-inch wheels.

This, today, is the most urgent goal Seattle’s pedestrians and Seattle’s officials must pursue. It has the huge weight of good sense and safe, progressive, bike-friendly practice around North America and elsewhere on its side.

Prepare for opposition: A spokesperson for Washington Bikes responded that it would not be supportive of a new Seattle ordinance to ban e-bike riding on Seattle sidewalks. But pedestrians can and must move this agenda in their own interest — they make up virtually the entire population of Seattle and not even all Seattle cyclists would agree with the hardline Washington Bikes position.

That new ordinance is only the beginning of what must be done to improve Seattle for its pedestrians.   

In an upcoming commentary, I will cover more about the larger challenges and necessary improvements for pedestrians in Seattle.

it would be interesting to hear from euc riders in these cities if they are getting harassed by authorities for riding on sidewalks. personally, i think it’s suicidal to ride a bike or euc on a road with cars. the stats in florida for bike riders support my opinion. 

i would love to see laws that specify where it is legal to ride an euc. i don’t like operating in gray areas.

Some cities that prohibit or restrict sidewalk bicycle riding.  Compiled by Doug MacDonald, December 2017.  Additions or corrections gratefully received.

Images: Bike East Bay, https://bikeeastbay.org/SidewalkCycling

In addition to Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, Denver, Oakland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Boston, some other cities that prohibit riding bikes on sidewalks include:

Aspen, CO

Berkeley, CA

Mill Valley, CA

Oakland, CA

Redwood City, CA

San Francisco CA

South San Francisco, CA

Sausalito, CA

Tucson, AZ

Union City, CA

Banff, AB

Calgary, AB

Edmonton AB

Ottawa, ON

Montreal, QB

North Vancouver, BC

Surrey, BC

Toronto, ON

Vancouver, BC

Victoria, BC

Copenhagen, Denmark

Madrid, Spain

Paris, France

In addition to New Orleans, Charlotte, Tampa, Minneapolis, Green Bay, Detroit, Philadelphia, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Miami, Kansas City, Cleveland, Houston, Nashville, and Baltimore, some other cities that restrict bike riding on sidewalks include:

Baton Rouge LA

Bellingham WA

Boise ID

Boulder CO

Brookline, MA

Burlington, VT

Cambridge, MA

Cashmere, WA

Chelan, WA.

Colorado Springs, CO

Corvallis, OR

Cupertino, CA

Eugene, OR

Fort Collins CO

Grand Rapides, MI

Hayward, CA

Huntsville, AL

Jackson WY

Las Vegas, NV

Leavenworth, WA

Long Beach, CA

Palo Alto, CA

Piedmont, CA

Pullman, WA.

Redmond WA

Richmond, CA

Sacramento CA

San Diego, CA

San Jose, CA

Spokane, WA

Sunnyvale, CA

Tampa FL

Vancouver, WA

Walla Walla WA

Walnut Creek, CA

Wenatchee, WA

26913538807_75872fb83b_m.jpg26913559247_24c6e1fc2b_m.jpg

Edited by novazeus

The problem, of course, is too much congestion. Seattle is a hi-tech hub and has attracted a tremendous amount of people in the last few decades. Amazon is currently taking over an entire downtown portion of the city, and so are other tech companies that want to be in on the action. The result is that way to many people have moved into the area, and the infrastructure is unable to handle it. Traffic in Seattle is a nightmare, and it is one of the worst cities in the country for commuting. A commute across Seattle that used to take me 12 minutes at 4:30 in the afternoon now takes 45 to 50 minutes. Fortunately I no longer have to make that commute.

In order to try and mitigate this huge problem, Seattle is trying to get people out of their cars and into mass transportation and/or on foot. Those of us who live in King Count (where Seattle sits) are being taxed heavily to pay for more buses, new train routes, and bike lanes. Of course, government leaders soft pedal the expected costs in order to get voters to accept the tax packages, and then realize (duh!) they have tremendously underestimated the costs of building this new infrastructure. I was just reading in the Seattle Times this morning how Seattle planners who wanted more bike paths through the Seattle downtown corridor estimated about $800,000 per mile for new bike lanes, and that in fact it is now costing $12 million PER MILE. Thus the Seattle leaders are grappling with two competing things: how to get more people out of their cars, and how to pay for that.

One way is to let bike riders ride on the sidewalks, which are already in place. So now the conundrum: e-bikes, e-scooters, e-wheels, and segways/hoverboards are competing for space with pedestrians and those few bike lanes that have been built. Accidents WILL happen, but what do you do? Currently, it appears like traffic enforcement looks the other way when it comes to enforcing sidewalk rules and helmet laws.

As a bike rider and hopefully (after my torn MCL recovers) an e-wheeler, I would rather use a sidewalk than ride in the road with maniacs who don't want to share the road. But I'd rather ride on the road when there is little traffic rather than risk an accident weaving in and out of pedestrians.

It's all very complicated.   

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, kjon12 said:

It's all very complicated.

yeah it is.

my self interest is keeping euc’s legal. if i have to build miles of multi-use paths or my developers do, it would be nice to be able to use them. florida is a perfect place for euc’s. they don’t get burned up like @Marty Backe does with them because we are pretty much flat. plus we have an abundance of geriatrics like me. my original ranch is one of the hottest developments on an major interchange in the country where humans will be able to work, eat, play and never need a car. an euc, electric bike, e skateboard etc would be a great conveyance. here’s a rough sketch of what my remaining 325 acres will look like.  17 acres about 200’ north of me sold for $7.25 million last month. still waay cheaper than kalifornia.

41742500672_df4b80c518_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

going to the gate is a piece of cake. returning requires a unanimous decision.
trust me, walking Bob with the wheel has exponentially improved my riding skills.

20180429_151658

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, RayRay said:

It's a 100% car based culture (bikes and pedestrians are an afterthought.)

The car is king. We build housing in far off suburbs assuming everyone will commute by auto. Transportation money goes first to highways, then roads, and finally whatever is left gets fought over by public transit, bike-ways, and pedestrian paths (sidewalks). Maybe things differ a bit within each city, but most people depend on cars heavily and our attitudes and laws reflect that. ?

Public transportation makes sense (smaller one-person vehicles make sense as well) but we've purposely made it harder for alternatives to co-exist . By forcing everyone to rely on cars we promote congestion; yet buses (and even more so light rail) rely on the right-of-way in order to be practical. Cars crowd out bicycles (by ignoring them and the laws protecting them) forcing cyclist onto sidewalks - where they now compete with pedestrians. Bad actors on cycles risk arousing a backlash that puts them (and us) between cars and peds. ?? ?

:eff02518bb: ...Further rant:

Cars (i.e. most people drive) don't like NC's (Non-Car). On the (mean) streets, it's survival of the fattest... Cars don't like truck (or semis) - but trucks are bigger; they win. So cars got bigger (fatter) to fight back; and have little respect for anything smaller than a sedan sharing the road. Compact cars are barely tolerated and cycles... forget about it! Any excuse to drive bicycles off the road (like too fast with motor) and the public jumps on it. Never-mind that a faster bike is essentially a moped/motorcycle, cars don't like those either. Anything new, novel, and most of all NC, is going to be met by public resentment and marginalized as much as possible. ?

Anyway, here's the situation: (If your on a...)

• Compact/'Smart' Car = "I laugh at your puny car" (with contempt/disrespect.) ?
  • Motorcycle/Hog = "Get off the road you hippie/hipster/gangster"; (better join a bike-gang). ☠️
  • Motorized Scooter =  "I'm going to run you off the road" (for lack of power). ?
  • Bicycle/e-Bike = "Sorry, didn't see you." (Oops, your dead!) ?
  • Scooter/Self-Balancing = "It's an alien invasion!" (Protect the children.)?

i agree totally.

the government does have a vested interest in getting vehicles off the road. like my property, i could sign a contract tmrw with a national bldr for them to put a thousand plus houses here. that would put another 2000 plus cars commuting to tampa for work. all that traffic wears out the roads prematurely. or my place could be office buildings and retail with multifamily mixed in and people would come here for work. that’s what the county wants. i’d really like the network of multi-use paths be able to be used for ebike, escooter, euc etc. instead of not being used at all. 

florida is hot and humid, gaggingly so, a ride on a wheel at 15 mph is a helluva lot more refreshing than walking or biking in the middle of summer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i agree totally.

the government does have a vested interest in getting vehicles off the road. like my property, i could sign a contract tmrw with a national bldr for them to put a thousand plus houses here. that would put another 2000 plus cars commuting to tampa for work. all that traffic wears out the roads prematurely. or my place could be office buildings and retail with multifamily mixed in and people would come here for work. that’s what the county wants. i’d really like the network of multi-use paths be able to be used for ebike, escooter, euc etc. instead of not being used at all. 

florida is hot and humid, gaggingly so, a ride on a wheel at 15 mph is a helluva lot more refreshing than walking or biking in the middle of summer.

Tampa Palms (just S.E. of you in New Tampa) has a wonderful system of multi-use paths. However, the rest of Tampa has far fewer sidewalks (let alone MU paths) than SoCal  because it's so humid and rains all the time. The widespread use of drainage ditches (vs. underground) already puts space for sidewalks at a premium. Combine this with bad walking weather half the year, and you have a city/county culture that places a very low priority on pedestrian walking. (A cycle that reinforces itself...) ?

Bike paths are similarly limited in most of Tampa. Not enough cyclists (due to wet/humid summer weather) to advocate for greater change. Nevertheless, there is wonderful weather the rest of the year and excellent MU paths near the coast. Pressure from Florida cycling enthusiasts and wealthy outlying communities are expanding the state-wide network of paths through the heart of Tampa. Although, paths and sidewalks in the inner-city are still being neglected, external calls for cultural change are bringing hope for the future! ?

FleetwoodsParkTrail.png.8811df75bc5f69b9750b4da9d80df8a5.png

Edited by RayRay
Added photo since supposed to be photo-thread...

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Above the 'H' in the Hollywood Sign - about as high as you can get in Griffith Park

IMG_20180428_191115852_HDR

Has that been confirmed by @YoshiSkySun???

After all, he is an... umm... "cartographer," isn't he?

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You already over 4000km on your Monster?:thumbup:

She (the photographer) asked me if I wanted a slice, as I came out of Dunkin donuts next door. Another guy took her pizza offer.... First slice served she said as they talked......do you mind if I take a picture?........I'm going to post it to my Instagram. I was a a store front or two away.

Breaking News:

Body of 4 year old from neighboring state of New Hampshire swept out to sea and lost on the beach at 'Kitty Hawk' on North Carolina's outer banks found several tens of miles north. 

http://wtkr.com/2018/04/30/authorities-recover-body-of-boy-swept-away-by-wave-in-outer-banks/amp/

17 hours ago, RayRay said:

Tampa Palms (just S.E. of you in New Tampa) has a wonderful system of multi-use paths. However, the rest of Tampa has far fewer sidewalks (let alone MU paths) than SoCal  because it's so humid and rains all the time. The widespread use of drainage ditches (vs. underground) already puts space for sidewalks at a premium. Combine this with bad walking weather half the year, and you have a city/county culture that places a very low priority on pedestrian walking. (A cycle that reinforces itself...) ?

Bike paths are similarly limited in most of Tampa. Not enough cyclists (due to wet/humid summer weather) to advocate for greater change. Nevertheless, there is wonderful weather the rest of the year and excellent MU paths near the coast. Pressure from Florida cycling enthusiasts and wealthy outlying communities are expanding the state-wide network of paths through the heart of Tampa. Although, paths and sidewalks in the inner-city are still being neglected, external calls for cultural change are bringing hope for the future! ?

FleetwoodsParkTrail.png.8811df75bc5f69b9750b4da9d80df8a5.png

yup, i was there in the beginning when ken good (tampa palms developer) rolled into town. we sold him a house and i sold his number 2 a house in another subdivision. 

the way it works is, right now my property is zoned agriculture, to up the entitlements to retail office residential ( ror ) u have to commit to dedicating right of way and building roads, sidewalks and multiuse paths. the developer has to do all that. that isn’t the government spending any money. the government puts that squarely on the back of the developer. that’s why i say, it would really piss me off to have to build all this stuff and not be able to use my wheels on it because they might be banned or could be banned.