The Photo Thread

SlowMo

On 1/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, Marty Backe said:

In 1990 the Internet did not exist in any consumer facing capacity. How exactly were you showing this video that was able to get CNNs attention?

I just caught this Marty. Sorry. I sent CNN a copy thinking they would be pleased. Not the case. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I just caught this Marty. Sorry. I sent CNN a copy thinking they would be pleased. Not the case. 

Very funny. I can image your reaction when you got the opposite response that you were looking for :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very funny. I can image your reaction when you got the opposite response that you were looking for :)

I can’t temember if they called me or sent a letter. I sent copies to a number of politicians including Bush Sr and defense secretary Cheney,  Cheney was the only one that responded. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I can’t temember if they called me or sent a letter. I sent copies to a number of politicians including Bush Sr and defense secretary Cheney,  Cheney was the only one that responded. 

The things we do in our youth ... :facepalm:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I still do those things... Does that mean I'm still a youth?

If you need to ask the question ...

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Enjoying the KS14S on this 80-degress February 3rd day B)

Great photo! How much was your new micro safety gear? :P

25196054377_327cdf40a9_b.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Great photo! How much was your new micro safety gear? :P

25196054377_327cdf40a9_b.jpg

:laughbounce2:  In half seriousness, with advances in technology we can imagine the day that mini-airbags like this could be attached to the various hard body points, ready to deploy on impact.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:laughbounce2:  In half seriousness, with advances in technology we can imagine the day that mini-airbags like this could be attached to the various hard body points, ready to deploy on impact.

You mean like these... 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I concur. Nanotechnology in the auto industry is moving towards smaller, smarter airbag control modules and lighterweight fabrics. We have already seen the development of the head airbag.

28289443799_a998148953_z.jpg

Designing miniature airbags that are anatomicaly placed for optimal protection is not a huge stretch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Apparently it's a cold-war era Soviet submarine

Fast forwarding to the present decade brings into focus the Russian 'Borie class' sub.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:«Александр_Невский»_в_Вилючинске.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:АПЛ_"Владимир_Мономах".jpg

The Borie class sub carries the Bulava ballistic missle which is reported to be stored in Severomorsk not far from the reported sub base at Gadzhiyevo . Both locations are near Norway.

http://barentsobserver.com/en/security/2013/12/russia-builds-huge-nuclear-missile-depot-severomorsk-13-12

A very recent report in Tass mentions  storage for the Bulava missle at Severomorsk

http://tass.com/defense/987918

Russian LNG tankers from the Yamal gas field would pass by this northern fleet base location on their way to market in Western Europe or Isle of Grain.?

Submarines have become huge since WWII.?....with a potential of 1+ year (food limited) duration at sea with unlimited range on nuclear power.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Today I took another 45-mile ride to the Queen Mary, but this time I rode the MSuper and decided to get up close.

What's interesting (to me) about this photo is the submarine in the foreground. You can't make out the call sign, but it's name is Scorpion. That's the brand of helmet that I'm wearing :D What a coincidence.

I didn't even know that a submarine was there. Apparently it's a cold-war era Soviet submarine that got turned into a tourist attraction. Google "Queen Mary Scorpion submarine" for more info.

IMG_20180204_092121124_HDR

IMG_20180204_092614289_HDR

What is the deal with that bicycle?  The front wheel  has a large whitewall.  It looks like some kind of hybryd.

That's a great photo BTW, I would like a tour on the sub or the big ship!

However, that looks like a copy of a German U Boat.  The Russians had none.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, steve454 said:

What is the deal with that bicycle?  The front wheel  has a large whitewall.  It looks like some kind of hybryd.

That's a great photo BTW, I would like a tour on the sub or the big ship!

However, that looks like a copy of a German U Boat.  The Russians had none.

I can't speak to the bicycle because I didn't notice it at the time. The Scorpion was a Soviet "Cold War" submarine, retired in the 90's.