Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

I general on safety on riding a EUC. One still should keep in mind these PEVs are new to most and especially car drivers. This means they are not as likely to anticipate to look actively for an EUC rider. Depending on region and traffic they might be more used to seeing bicycles or MCs. But when people ride in all black or ca o style gear you as a rider do not make this any easier to spot. That is why I never ride in black clothing. Only high viz colours. 

On the other topic of safety

@Forwardnbak

I too agree having some weight in a wheel enhances ride safety due to direction stability. I started out on a Inmotion V8. But as soon as I got a KS16X I had a very hard time to feel as safe on super light wheels. But there is another part to this. Having a 3" wide tire is a huge benafit combined with a motor weight that acts as centrifugal balance. I have not tested a V13 (yet). But from EUCs I have ridden I suspect the V14 would feel safe due to the motor weight and wide tire at lease to "old school" 16" models. 

I just hope some proper ride experience videos show up soon to share actual opinions vs white paper data sheet comparisons. The ride sensation and safety and easy service are what matter most to me. I wish I had an option to test a V14 before buying it but I doubt I get that option since I don't have a reseller in reasonable range to go to. 

So still waiting for some new content from Inmotion or trustworthy you tubers. 

• Like 3

I think the v13 weight and stability make it feel much more like I am attached to a wheel, where smaller wheels feel like they are attached to me. Smaller wheels mean my movement is transferred to the wheel much more. Similar to a 250cc - 1000cc bike. 

Last I heard was SOON about v14, i am planning as much vid time as possible showing the wheel with what I can do on it. Hopefully not far away we can see a lot more about it all.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

I think the v13 weight and stability make it feel much more like I am attached to a wheel,

To me, 22" wheels like the V13 or Abrams ride like big wheels. They are unlike riding wheels like the S22, EX30, or other 20" wheels or smaller.

However, I am finding that I like the feel of a big wheel more than a smaller wheel, even to ride a few blocks to do errands.

My issue is that I am not a big nor heavy rider. Should I stop riding a big wheel for a while and then go back, there is a slight learning curve, especially if I ride a smaller wheel during that time.

The big draw for me on a big wheel is that I feel more secure on it, and it feels much more planted. I like the size and weight, and the acceleration and braking. I also like the front grab handle a lot. I use it to accelerate and brake, especially over long sections of bumps. My Abrams doesn't have suspension.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eucner said:

Really?

Absolutely!

For example, the Abrams weighs about 100 lbs. and the EX30 weighs about 110 lbs.? In any case, the EX30 weighs more.

However, the EX30 doesn't ride like the V13 or Abrams, more like other 20" wheels.

There is a distinct difference. It's not just about the weight.

Another oddity that I noticed is the Patton. It doesn't ride like a 90 lbs wheel, at least to me.

• Like 1

It takes a brave rider to go up that mountain side. Yet even braver to attempt go down.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sergey Sh. said:

51 degrees is a fake. Look carefully, it measures the deviation from the vertical. If you convert it to tilt, it's really 39 degrees.

Does that mean my S18 can climb a 60 degree slope according to Inmotion measurement methods? Awesome! I have no reason to upgrade.  

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Robse said:

Rotation needed = 28 degrees. Yes, 28 (!)

I wouldn’t expect the video to showcase the most shallow or averaged etc. slope steepness in the measurement clip. This isn’t a man made dead straight structure. Of course they demonstrate only measuring the steepest part. After all, the wheel does have to ride it up as well. And based on the last photo, 39 degrees isn’t that far off anyway.

Don’t know who actually made or instructed the slope measurement in the video, but yeah, measuring from vertical is just really stupid.

From Marty's ride it sounds like the V14 is a bit of a battery hog, but for what the wheel is intended, I think it's probably still fine (if not particularly good.) I think this is one of those cases where the other attributes allow you to gloss over the crappy range. I'm glad that they chose not to make it heavier to increase the range though. It will be interesting to see how the 50S batteries do in a range test.

6 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Marty made a IRL range test saying 60 km is I remeber correctly ?

Great, I'm glad we tested the range of a wheel meant for off road use on the road....:roflmao: I feel like even 30 miles of abusive off road use would be enough for most. What would be really nice is if someone who is able to endure and actual technical off road trip take the wheel and see what it's capable of. As much as i appreciate the input of @Marty Backe's 40 mile trip down the bike path with it. I would like to see the wheel used as it's intended and i feel like someone who is older and has just gotten over a broken ankle isn't really the person for that job. I really don't care how it performs range wise against "the master" because they are in 2 different category's as well as leaps and bounds different from an engineering standpoint. This clearly isn't a road wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm sure that there will be plenty of riders using the V14 on pavement. My bike path trip is a datapoint. Means nothing to you but it may be helpful to others.

I never said it means "nothing to me" I merely stated that your "data point" is not really what the wheel is intended for and i feel like as with all of your inmotion reviews that revel in showcasing their downfalls. This one does the same. ( remember when you broke the v13 dampening adjustment and didn't fix it before all of the other reviews got the wheel?)  I know that if that was my intention, i would have started with a range test on pavement also. But this is just my opinion and I'm sure it doesn't reflect the sentiments of the community of which i know you are a valued member.:D

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm loaning it to Roger tomorrow so that he can do some black diamond runs on it

The same roger that couldn't make it up a 20° hill on the v13? Well it should be interesting anyway if not entertaining.

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe that will be helpful to you

No eww tubers(stolen from oldfartrides) reviews are "helpful" to me because they all have their own bias. I just watch for entertainment. I have already ordered the wheel so i will find out for myself how it performs. I will be using it for it's intended purpose because i already have the king of the road v13.(see the bias there..):P

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I never said it means "nothing to me" I merely stated that your "data point" is not really what the wheel is intended for and i feel like as with all of your inmotion reviews that revel in showcasing their downfalls. This one does the same. ( remember when you broke the v13 dampening adjustment and didn't fix it before all of the other reviews got the wheel?)  I know that if that was my intention, i would have started with a range test on pavement also. But this is just my opinion and I'm sure it doesn't reflect the sentiments of the community of which i know you are a valued member.:D

The same roger that couldn't make it up a 20° hill on the v13? Well it should be interesting anyway if not entertaining.

No eww tubers(stolen from oldfartrides) reviews are "helpful" to me because they all have their own bias. I just watch for entertainment. I have already ordered the wheel so i will find out for myself how it performs. I will be using it for it's intended purpose because i already have the king of the road v13.(see the bias there..):P

See my new post in my V14 thread - the beloved V14 just died on me :D

• Sad 6