Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

• 2 weeks later...

i saw him ripping away from everyone on his latest video

too bad we couldnt just buy the blackcontrol boards from you or someone else with this feature already installed.

one would think ewheels would be ringing your phone all day long

if begode wont do it maybe they will

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Freestyler said:

You are right Mike, that you can approach the limit more often knowing that it is harder to miss the warning.

It makes for a less stressful riding session especially in noisy conditions!

Exactly! Last night when I was out riding at one point Darknessbot had disconnected. I hit beeps while riding in traffic (barely audible) and then I got a very gentle tilt-back which was just fine... since by then I am usually approaching the limits of my lean and a subtle shift is enough to get me to slow down... which I did not.. I just surfed the tilt-back a bit. 

No need to think: has the wheel beeped? Is the app connected? Is the bluetooth speaker on & connected?

It's liberating not have to connect to an app if you don't feel like.

It sure is! And also very nice to have it at 75% PWM.

Also, I can get behind Tobias. After my high speed crash at 74 km/h more than a year ago, I'm waaaaaay more conservative.

Even 40km/h feels like a lot now.

I dressed for war 2 days ago and hit a new personal record since my accident. 55km/h! Felt like a speed demon again. :lol:

And so it begins! You will be back to normal in no time! Especially since your scenario was rather extreme! I got some mild PTSD when my Nikola just shut off with me riding it at 32kmh. My brain got stuck at that speed for a month. 

• Like 3

Also @Freestyler new custom firmware that flashes the front light when you have it enabled and you reach your pwm limit and the pedals start tilting, is "the" best addition as a new feature.

You see your lights flashing and for some reason you didn't feel the pedals tilt yet, you know you've just entered your 75% pwm limit!!

Epic feature!!! 💪💪💪

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Sorry if this is offtopic but which version of thr RS-HS supports flashing of this firmware? It's good to know now so that my next wheel supports this when it becomes available. Thanks!

If you connect to https://freestyl3r.github.io/euc-dash/begode.html and you get a value in the model code field, then the wheel is flashable.

By now it's flashed on most models: rs, exn, ex, mcm5, nikola, ex20s, monster pro and tesla. That includes C30 & C38 motor variants and accelerated stability versions.

The only wheel it's not ported yet is mten3 (not sure it makes sense) and Master.

Master is a moving target (rapid firmware releases), plus it's a bit different than all the other wheels so it requires more targeted work.

So anyone who fits the above criteria, feel free to pm me to arrange a flash.

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Freestyler said:

If you connect to https://freestyl3r.github.io/euc-dash/begode.html and you get a value in the model code field, then the wheel is flashable.

By now it's flashed on most models: rs, exn, ex, mcm5, nikola, ex20s, monster pro and tesla. That includes C30 & C38 motor variants and accelerated stability versions.

The only wheel it's not ported yet is mten3 (not sure it makes sense) and Master.

Master is a moving target (rapid firmware releases), plus it's a bit different than all the other wheels so it requires more targeted work.

So anyone who fits the above criteria, feel free to pm me to arrange a flash.

Thanks. That's an impressive list.

Oddly, when I used EUCdash with my MSX84, the first three fields came out empty. That wheel is unsupported then, right?

• Like 2

Freestyler, thank you for taking the time to do this! I'd been thinking about ways we could get better feedback from our EUCs; I'm glad to see somebody else was too, and actually putting in the work!

Not only does it keep riders safer, it will allow people to learn to use their wheels to their fullest potential. Proprioception is a huge component in muscle memory.

I hope we can get lots of people using this firmware and giving feedback so all EUC manufacturers take notice.

• Like 1

Can you get this to work on my latest version  Monster Pro

small motor green board

because there’s no tiltback at all on it regardless of setting

you can set it in the begode app and it does nothing

and if I swap between firmware version it’s still doesn’t tiltback

9 hours ago, dycus said:

Not only does it keep riders safer, it will allow people to learn to use their wheels to their fullest potential. Proprioception is a huge component in muscle memory.

You touch on an interesting point. Many people who report their feedback back to me, claim that it allowed them to ride at higher average speeds.

So this feature will not "neuter" performance for most people as instinctively thought.

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

What about glitches in the data? Is the data reliable enough to set limits based on it?

What happens if you're riding downhill at 75km/h? Will this still warn somehow?

It's as reliable as the PWM alarm beeps. If you trust those, then you automatically trust the tiltback feature as well.

Yes, it works on downhills and even when driving in reverse.

3 hours ago, Trevor Phillips said:

Can you get this to work on my latest version  Monster Pro

small motor green board

because there’s no tiltback at all on it regardless of setting

you can set it in the begode app and it does nothing

and if I swap between firmware version it’s still doesn’t tiltback

The monster pro situation is quite perplexing.

I have flashed the firmware to a guy with black controller, but the latest batches seem to ship with green controllers, which are not flashable.

You can verify by connecting to euc dash and check the model code. If model code is empty = not flashable (even if it is, we are not sure of the firmware it is running)

One theory is that they "locked" the firmware, because there are 2 motors released on the market and not all firmwares are compatible.

Edited by Freestyler

On 5/17/2022 at 3:13 AM, RideRiskReward said:

how does this compare to safety margin in EUC world? 

I noticed big difference, Before the change of Firmware my EUC World app showed 10% safety margins, now after flashing new Firmware I see in EUC World app 31% salty margins. so there is change for sure, the wheel im riding is  the EXN HT 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:36 PM, Freestyler said:

You touch on an interesting point. Many people who report their feedback back to me, claim that it allowed them to ride at higher average speeds.

So this feature will not "neuter" performance for most people as instinctively thought.

It's as reliable as the PWM alarm beeps. If you trust those, then you automatically trust the tiltback feature as well.

Yes, it works on downhills and even when driving in reverse.

The monster pro situation is quite perplexing.

I have flashed the firmware to a guy with black controller, but the latest batches seem to ship with green controllers, which are not flashable.

You can verify by connecting to euc dash and check the model code. If model code is empty = not flashable (even if it is, we are not sure of the firmware it is running)

One theory is that they "locked" the firmware, because there are 2 motors released on the market and not all firmwares are compatible.

I’ll let you know when I open the box and see what’s in there

mines a green board and and I can update the firmware in the begode app

but no tiltback

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, Freestyler said:

I can flash some peoples wheels here and there but it requires coordination with me.

That's why the end goal would be for wheels to ship directly with that feature.

Either through distributors or ideally from begode themselves.

when it comes to the RS C38 and C30 - is this available in both variations of RS firmware - specifically the stock, or, accelerated stability.

i personally love the RS C38 accelerated stability, and if your variant works with it - i'd like to test it out. 

thanks!

It is available for RS C30 (standard & accelerated stability versions) and RS C38.

RS C38 accelerated stability is the same firmware as standard RS C38.

See the discussion after this post for more info: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/27359-what-is-the-accelerated-stability-firmware-in-the-begode-app/page/3/#comment-423054

Pm me to arrange a flash!

7 hours ago, Freestyler said:

7 hours ago, Freestyler said:

It is available for RS C30 (standard & accelerated stability versions) and RS C38.

RS C38 accelerated stability is the same firmware as standard RS C38.

See the discussion after this post for more info: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/27359-what-is-the-accelerated-stability-firmware-in-the-begode-app/page/3/#comment-423054

Pm me to arrange a flash!

I would love to Test with my Begode EX...is it possible with the C40? Best Regards Daniel 

Edited by onkeldanuel

9 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

I would love to Test with my Begode EX...is it possible with the C40? Best Regards Daniel 

Yeap. Its available on all wheels except master. It has been flashed already in an ex.

8 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

I had Freestyler flash my EX and RST a few weeks ago and it works great except the EX light doesn’t flash immediately when you hit PWM limit like my RS does. It will flash eventually but not immediately. However, the light feature is only useful when riding at night anyway (insightful huh?). This is such a great feature, with or without the light flashing, I highly recommend it and then use the hell out of it!

Edited by UtahRider
  • Like 3

• Freestyler changed the title to Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware