Yet another beginner safety question

Hello there.

Worst case i think would be high speed cutout - where wheel just stops working and you go flying on ground.

You can't "run out" of it.. Wheel simply stops balancing and drops dead. In my case ~300km ridden. All my "accidents" have been at walking speeds.. Not enough of lean going over a curb and wheel don't get enough power - it simply stops and drops sideways. Same time i simply step forwards, because of said lean.

Or to fast mount off.. Same thing, wheel simply drops sideways.

There is always that dark feeling back of mind. That euc batteries could catch on fire, burning down my house - very rare, but still could happen.

In euc only moving parts are "bearings".

Of course batteries, motor, motherboard could die.. And if that happens while riding - Good Luck, say hello to ground.

Once a year, if you feel like, you could open the wheel.. And expect wire connections, soldering connections, what not.. But other than that, euc are zero maintenance. (If you don't count fixing flat tire, bearing change.)

If you don't ride like crazy.. You watch out what's in front of you.. Slow down at blind stops. - Only thing that could go wrong would be faulty euc, where it simply stops working.. But that happening suddenly are very rare. But still nothing in world are 100% safe.. Going to store you could be mowed down by drunk driver. Possibilities are endless.

If you wanna feel better about it, my 55 old are riding his ks16s daily to work. Whole trip is around ~6km(3.5miles). Be snowing, raining, storm with ZERO protection gear. Has done around ~3000km(1860miles). Aside from "learning" falls, he has had zero accidents. (Knock On Wood - for future zero accidents) :) 

Same here, i at work days only use wrist guards.. Small trips and going true people, you can't really "speed up". For fun rides, i take my full face helmet, wrist/knee guards. And are going 30-35kph(18-22mph). But those speed only on flat, smooth ground. Also not a speed demon..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

This was discussed in the topic that was titled something like “EUC riding seems/is/looks dangerous” or something like that. Several people joined the discussion with their opinions whether one could ride without ever crashing. I believe it to be possible, but in addition to wheel care and very good traffic habits I think that it might need some luck as well.

After the initial learning period my crashes have all been self inflicted. But I ride protected, so no harm done.

The most important part of wheel care is to react if anything in the wheel changes. Doesn’t charge up to full, range decreases, makes new sounds etc. And of course replace the tire when the time comes. Replacing bearings is not something that you are expected to do. Unless there’s a design issue or a faulty bearing included, they will outlast the wheel.

The important parts of the wheel’s safety is in the firmware, and there’s nothing you can do about that but to choose a manufacturer that seems the safest bet to you. None of them have a clear conscience though.

As @Funky thankfully added at the end, a wheel to suddenly stop working is extremely rare and is always investigated, at least by the safest two of manufacturers, Inmotion and KingSong. Fearing of that to happen is unfruitful, as there’s nothing you can do about it but to choose your wheel’s manufacturer well and to take good care of your wheel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/17/2022 at 2:33 AM, Bakkegaarden said:

Can I ask. Are there experienced EUC riders out there, that never had accidents?

Nope, but don't let that discourage you!

On 4/17/2022 at 2:33 AM, Bakkegaarden said:

So when I try to search for safety, accidents, fails I get a lot of scary stories and pictures.

Keep in mind that "worst case scenerio" situations always get the most hits. If you are not pushing your wheel to its limits, have proper safety gear and take the learning process slowly the mishaps will result in more laughs than cries.

On 4/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, Bakkegaarden said:

I fell that I have little to none impact of these, and have a hard time to settle with my self how high the risk of this is. 

This is a question I asked myself too at the start. Speaking to friends in IT and from experience most electronics are very robust. Think about how long computers typically last, and even the electronics in cars and bikes etc, Mobile phones 5-10years+ maybe. Of course its a gamble too. You will hear of many people who have wheels that are years old and others with teething problems at the start which are more to do with the design of initial new models rather than durability. This is a great hobby and from my perspective it is safer than a motorcycle. This is because I was able to learn my wheel and develop the skill to ride it in a much safer environment than a bike and to a much higher standard because it is so much fun to do. Having the road-craft from your motorcycle experience will make it safer for you too (53 years old, 1 year: 2300 miles).

• Like 3

And here we have two motocross riders with the attitude how one must live before one dies (love you guys…) saying that surely you will eventually crash… :lol:

But… @RockyTop described a situation where the EUC rider had too much trust in car drivers to be vigilant, and @ShanesPlanet mentioned how it’s about getting to comfy and taking things for granted. Both are human behaviors that are not even very hard to avoid.

@The Brahan Seer mentioned the lifetime of computers and mobile phones. But they always end because of software and compatibility, not because of a physical failure. Using an EUC doesn’t degrade it’s software in any way.

This supports my stance that the rider can fail, and other humans can fail, but the wheel itself is a solid piece of gear that is the least of our problems. Fix humans and you have a very safe mode of transport. ;)

• Like 3

On 4/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, Bakkegaarden said:

I'm new to EUC, in fact not yet owning one. I have a Ninebot Mini Pro that I've been using for some month but really are intrigued to get a EUC and learn this skill as well. 

I'm 46 years old and have been running motor cycle for 20 years. Always with the risk of accidents(even fatal) in my mind, but I'm a cruiser and do not ride for speed. So always been able to argue for my self that I have a big impact of the risk management by being aware, keep speed within reasonable range and proper maintenance of bike. So far, never a single accident. (touch woods)

Now with EUC I guess similar applies in terms of speed, be aware etc. But the maintenance and technical malfunctions puzzles my brain. I fell that I have little to none impact of these, and have a hard time to settle with my self how high the risk of this is. 

Secondly. You also tend to see what you are looking for. So when I try to search for safety, accidents, fails I get a lot of scary stories and pictures.

Now: Can I ask. Are there experienced EUC riders out there, that never had accidents?

Never had an accident....  ehhhh... just except when I broke my little toe ... because I had to practice driving backwards in the kitchen on a rainy day,  and got to drive one pedal into the stove, with my toe as a bumper :blink1:

2 hours ago, Robse said:

Never had an accident....  ehhhh... just except when I broke my little toe ... because I had to practice driving backwards in the kitchen on a rainy day,  and got to drive one pedal into the stove, with my toe as a bumper :blink1:

I’m sorry but I just have to ask for a clarification:

How on earth do you use your toe as a bumper while you reverse??

24 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I’m sorry but I just have to ask for a clarification:

How on earth do you use your toe as a bumper while you reverse??

well... erhmnn   the Ninebot one is such a little nifty wheel, you can throw it around - and from 0 to 10 its fast, damn fast! (low weight), and especially, when making fast shifting from going reverse and forward and reverse while holding a gulp and shouting to sqauw: "loook at mee, im good " and then suddenly going from 0 to 10 mph forward and hitting stove with one feet in the air  , thanks to kids for not having this on video... :wub:

9 minutes ago, Robse said:

well... erhmnn   the Ninebot one is such a little nifty wheel, you can throw it around - and from 0 to 10 its fast, damn fast! (low weight), and especially, when making fast shifting from going reverse and forward and reverse while holding a gulp and shouting to sqauw: "loook at mee, im good " and then suddenly going from 0 to 10 mph forward and hitting stove with one feet in the air  , thanks to kids for not having this on video... :wub:

Oh… wow…

I’m not into watching people getting hurt per se, but that I’da video Is part to watch. Seriously! Just for the psychology of the events if nothing else. :P

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

What could possibly be more dangerous than an Electric Unicycle or a Crotch-Rocket Motorcycle?

Well an e-scooter of course!  This one can go 32mph.  I got it for their lunchtime dog walker to use. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

What could possibly be more dangerous than an Electric Unicycle or a Crotch-Rocket Motorcycle?

Well an e-scooter of course!  This one can go 32mph.  I got it for their lunchtime dog walker to use. 

If you want to be a true menace, you need to buy a powerful e-skate. Be sure to loan it out to newbies and tell them how easy it is. I still think the euc is more dangerous than a scooter, but I've a little scooter and its mean as hell. The REAL issue is that you automatically assume a scooter is simple, whereas you know an euc isnt. Sounds to me like you need grab a 60mph wheel, so those doggies can get a real chance to fly....

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If you want to be a true menace, you need to buy a powerful e-skate. Be sure to loan it out to newbies and tell them how easy it is. I still think the euc is more dangerous than a scooter, but I've a little scooter and its mean as hell. The REAL issue is that you automatically assume a scooter is simple, whereas you know an euc isnt. Sounds to me like you need grab a 60mph wheel, so those doggies can get a real chance to fly....

My husky Loki has done 27 mph going up a grassy road after he saw a deer.  I was on my 100V MSX and it was me who chickened out on speed.  Hi probably would have topped 30mph.  Wow!  And the little one?  I've done 25 max with them togeather.  20mph togeather on vid commonly.  

Oh hay, back on-topic!  Is it DANGEROUS or a SAFETY issue to ride with dogs?  What about snow?  

5 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Oh hay, back on-topic!  Is it DANGEROUS or a SAFETY issue to ride with dogs?  What about snow? 

Umm. you are the expert on that. Sit and think about it, ask the dogs a few questions, and get back to us on the REAL answer....:popcorn:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I think my dog loves it!  I'm even enjoying watching him on my own video - like when I was there!

He's probably excited that your old ass is finally letting him get a brisk pace for more than 20 feet. Born to run baby! Teach him to drag your ass back to the house if he needs to, and you're golden! Just don't eat the yellow snow.:blink1:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Haha 1