EX20s Shock Replacement

GoGeorgeGo

I was thinking about going to a spring coil shock but the only ones i can find on a 3 day delivery are 550 and 650 pounds. Seems way to stiff for my liking. But i have no idea how those pressures compare between air and spring though.

I ride 95% streets so i really dont need an aggressive s20 style suspension. A softer suspension with more low end play is more my need for eating up imperfections on roadways. A big heavy duty spring not only adds a lot of weight in comparison but it wont be as comfortable a ride most of the time i dont think. Im conflicted

41 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I was thinking about going to a spring coil shock but the only ones i can find on a 3 day delivery are 550 and 650 pounds. Seems way to stiff for my liking. But i have no idea how those pressures compare between air and spring though.

You will be surprised how much poundage you will need when running it on an EUC as I said before. The spring calculator for me at 90kg on an MTB shows around 485lb IIRC, and remember thats based on having the front end taking a large percentage of the overall weight.

41 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

A big heavy duty spring not only adds a lot of weight in comparison but it wont be as comfortable a ride most of the time i dont think. Im conflicted

The weight wouldn't be even an issue for me on an EUC. It's simply not enough to make any difference in the decision making.

As regards 'comfort', coils will ALWAYS be better than air, as theres zero stiction with a coil, thus better small bump compliance.

• Like 1

The 550 pound spring that Im using in my S18 (DNM RCPS coil shock) is actually on the light side for what I would prefer. I would wager it would be fine running a 600 or 650 on the EX20S considering it's almost double the weight of the S18. I'm on the light side of things at 150 pounds geared too. My only concern is that most of the 200mm coil shocks I've come across all have the piggy back oil chamber and I am unsure if those would fit within the EX20s' suspension geometry. There are 190mm coil shocks out there but they don't have the compression dampening the same way the piggyback coil shocks do. You'd also be loosing some suspension travel going to a shorter eye to eye shock. I'm not sure if it would be worth the tradeoff at that point. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Well i settled on trying this one out. We will see what happens on Saturday 🤷‍♂️

550 pounds should be plenty for my riding, i dont do drops or jumps or any really aggressive riding. Hoping off a curb is my most aggressive maneuver. 

JFOYH Adjustable Oil+Coil Spring Rear Shock Suspension, Shock Absorbers for Downhill MTB Bike/E-Bike, 190mm/200mm/210mm/220mm/240mm X 550lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JP9P29V/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_E62HKT7VKN7TEF9B5PJG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I will try this one (190mm/650lbs) in the master Most likely, im 185-200 lbs too...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092SGD1N8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2G7MF8AVLGUA6&keywords=190+mm+650+lbs+coil+shock&qid=1650008299&sprefix=190mm+650lbs+coil+shock%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-4

I guess the piggyback Style shocks wont fit

Edited by onkeldanuel

19 hours ago, Planemo said:

All shocks should be using bushes in the eyes, the i.d. of which should be either the aforementioned 12mm or 12.7mm/0.5".

Thanks. 
Is it possible to replace the 12.7mm inner diameter bushings on this shock:
https://www.alltricks.com/F-32732-amortisseurs/P-102790-rock_shox_2016_rear_shock_monarch_r_soloair_mid_comp_black

(I don't know the outter diameter of the above bushing) 

For these 12mm inner diameter bushings:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/rockshox-eyelet-bushings-12mm-for-ario/bar/mc3/pearl-2-pieces

14mm outter diameter bushings. 

17 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Well i settled on trying this one out. We will see what happens on Saturday 🤷‍♂️

550 pounds should be plenty for my riding, i dont do drops or jumps or any really aggressive riding. Hoping off a curb is my most aggressive maneuver. 

JFOYH Adjustable Oil+Coil Spring Rear Shock Suspension, Shock Absorbers for Downhill MTB Bike/E-Bike, 190mm/200mm/210mm/220mm/240mm X 550lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JP9P29V/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_E62HKT7VKN7TEF9B5PJG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

let us know how it goes

3 hours ago, Jean eRide.ie Community said:

Thanks. 
Is it possible to replace the 12.7mm inner diameter bushings on this shock:
https://www.alltricks.com/F-32732-amortisseurs/P-102790-rock_shox_2016_rear_shock_monarch_r_soloair_mid_comp_black

(I don't know the outter diameter of the above bushing) 

For these 12mm inner diameter bushings:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/rockshox-eyelet-bushings-12mm-for-ario/bar/mc3/pearl-2-pieces

14mm outter diameter bushings. 

I'd like to give you a definitive answer, but I don't think I can. I wouldn't be surprised if the eye diameters on the shock are different between metric and imperial shocks. The only way to be sure is to pull the bushes from the shock (you will need a special tool) and measure.

It would be handy if they were all 14mm, and they might be, but I couldn't say for sure. I have only changed a few bushes in my time and I never got too hung up on measuring because I just ordered the same bush the shock was originally fitted with.

If you get 10 mins spare, theres a little bit of info here regarding comparisons between imperial and metric shocks:

The Ultimate Guide to 'Metric' Shock Sizing and the RockShox Super Deluxe - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

I will try this one (190mm/650lbs) in the master Most likely, im 185-200 lbs too...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092SGD1N8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2G7MF8AVLGUA6&keywords=190+mm+650+lbs+coil+shock&qid=1650008299&sprefix=190mm+650lbs+coil+shock%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-4

Yeah that was the one i was originally going to order, but it wouldnt arive until mid may. And i will have the new stock shock from gotway by then most likely. I needed to order something that will arrive by tommorow so i can actually ride it for the next 3 weeks

7 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

If you haven't ordered that already, I just wanted to let you know you could have the same shock for less than half the price and roughly the same delivery time off aliexpress. That shock is just a rebrand of the OEM EXA Form 291R shock. Here's a link to the one I bought. I'm planning on trying it out on the master, but my master isn't due to arrive until June. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003313574674.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.3f291802v5ImBY

2 minutes ago, Whalesmash said:

If you haven't ordered that already, I just wanted to let you know you could have the same shock for less than half the price and roughly the same delivery time off aliexpress. That shock is just a rebrand of the OEM EXA Form 291R shock. Here's a link to the one I bought. I'm planning on trying it out on the master, but my master isn't due to arrive until June. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003313574674.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.3f291802v5ImBY

Thx, very nice, will order there then

On 4/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, GoGeorgeGo said:

Hi George, I’ve got an EX20S HT on order can you please confirm that its a 200mm shock that you fitted. I plan to fit a coil shock and would like to order it before my wheel arrives hopefully by the end of June 🤞One other thing that comes to mind  to calculate the correct spring or air shock rate it’s going to be necessary to remove the wheel/motor and weigh it or the main frame with everything else attached to determine the total weight that the shock is going to have to deal with and this information should really be supplied by the manufacturer and apples to all suspension wheels especially those that are heavy!  

2 hours ago, Paulio Lightfoot said:

One other thing that comes to mind  to calculate the correct spring or air shock rate

The spring calculator at TF Tuner has been simplified of late and one change was to remove the bike weight. I'm guessing they did this by assuming a "typical" bike weight, but more importantly since they are giving you a starting point and not a "final final answer", that the precise vehicle weight isn't quite as important when you're just trying to get into the ball park.

Consequently, to avoid hassle I'd simply "assume" a typical downhill bike weighs xx amount, say ~30 lbs. The EX20S weighs about 100 lbs, so the difference in vehicle weight is 70. Add that to your fully geared rider weight and use the total as your 'rider' weight. The TF Tuner calculator is assuming some vehicle+rider weight sharing with a front shock, so I'm pretty sure it'll report "light" when applied to a single shock system like an EUC.

Edited by Tawpie

14 hours ago, Paulio Lightfoot said:

Hi George, I’ve got an EX20S HT on order can you please confirm that its a 200mm shock that you fitted. I plan to fit a coil shock and would like to order it before my wheel arrives hopefully by the end of June 🤞One other thing that comes to mind  to calculate the correct spring or air shock rate it’s going to be necessary to remove the wheel/motor and weigh it or the main frame with everything else attached to determine the total weight that the shock is going to have to deal with and this information should really be supplied by the manufacturer and apples to all suspension wheels especially those that are heavy!  

Nope that one did not fit. Its about 2-3 mm to wide and cant be installed. I just sent it back and should be getting a dnm 38rc tommorow to try out. 

Its killing my ability to properly review this wheel.

I was able to "fix" the old stock shock. It was leaking at the rebound nozzle so i sealed it.up.with some gasket maker and plumbers goop. Unfortunately its now stuck on super slow rebound speed to the point where the suspension only works if i dont hit any bumps for 2 minutes at a time. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Got the 38rc DNM shock today. Looks like a winner in terms of discount shocks. Has a higher pressure cap than the 36 and seems to have a little more strength as well meaning i dont need as much pressure pumped into it. Fits right in perfectly and feels great 👍.

Im a little under the weather today (waiting on a test result back even though im feeling much better than the past 2 days) so i wont be able to do a real test of it but from just jumping on it to feel it id say i have a winner. Feels plush and is holding me with a beautiful 15% sag at 250lbs pressure.  It maxes out at 275 so id say its good for riders up to about 240 lbs or so. Very satisfied. Now i can finally film a proper review for next week hopefully!

just enjoyed your last vid, look forward to this.

rest up well 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Got the 38rc DNM shock today. Looks like a winner in terms of discount shocks. Has a higher pressure cap than the 36 and seems to have a little more strength as well meaning i dont need as much pressure pumped into it. Fits right in perfectly and feels great 👍.

Im a little under the weather today (waiting on a test result back even though im feeling much better than the past 2 days) so i wont be able to do a real test of it but from just jumping on it to feel it id say i have a winner. Feels plush and is holding me with a beautiful 15% sag at 250lbs pressure.  It maxes out at 275 so id say its good for riders up to about 240 lbs or so. Very satisfied. Now i can finally film a proper review for next week hopefully!

which size you finally put ? 190x50 ?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Rest up man! Getting over a bug myself this past week…so hard not to ride when the weather is good but nobody wants a full face helmet full of snot haha. Looking forward to finally seeing your review!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Got the 38rc DNM shock today. Looks like a winner in terms of discount shocks. Has a higher pressure cap than the 36 and seems to have a little more strength as well meaning i dont need as much pressure pumped into it.

Feel better soon!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing different shocks in these new Begodes! When I had an S18, I got it super plush after lots of experimenting.

Playing around with the positive chamber volume to tweak the spring rate and make it more or less progressive will be interesting. Coil shocks may be interesting too, but given comments I've seen about bottoming out, I'd be concerned the linear spring rate won't be the best with the existing linkage design. If the mechanical engineers have some free time at my work, could be a fun project to make some progressive linkage designs to utilize coil shocks 🙂

• Like 1

Lol sorry posted that in the wrong thread. Meant to be in the ex20s shock replacement thread. But while im here, my guess is that this will be interchangeable for both the ex20 and the master. Yes it was the 190mm version. The dnm 36rc might work for the master since its a lighter wheel, but it just wasnt strong enpugh for the beast that is the ex20s

• Like 1

Got the 38rc DNM shock today. Looks like a winner in terms of discount shocks. Has a higher pressure cap than the 36 and seems to have a little more strength as well meaning i dont need as much pressure pumped into it. Fits right in perfectly and feels great 👍.

Im a little under the weather today (waiting on a test result back even though im feeling much better than the past 2 days) so i wont be able to do a real test of it but from just jumping on it to feel it id say i have a winner. Feels plush and is holding me with a beautiful 15% sag at 250lbs pressure.  It maxes out at 275 so id say its good for riders up to about 240 lbs or so. Very satisfied. Now i can finally film a proper review for next week hopefully!

Reposted from master discussion thread where i erroneously posted this first lol

Question for the Suspension peeps.  According the specs, the EX20s and the Master (as well as the Hero) all have 80mm of suspension travel.  The shocks discussed here seem to mostly have a 50mm throw.  Does this reduce the travel from 80mm to 50mm?  I am probably missing something.