EX20s Shock Replacement

GoGeorgeGo

33 minutes ago, BlckRck2014 said:

Does this reduce the travel from 80mm to 50mm?

It depends on which measurement is being talked about, and the mechanical arrangement that translates wheel movement to shock movement.

"80 mm of suspension travel" sounds like the wheel can go up and down 80 mm in total. 50 mm of shock "throw" sounds like the piston on the shock can extend/contract 50 mm. With shocks, they usually talk about the eye-to-eye distances compressed to extended (shock 'throw') and the wheel's travel is what it is. You want to match the eye-to-eye travel/throw of the shock, if it doesn't have enough travel you are likely to break it or the suspension linkage. If it has too much travel you won't be using the shock as it was designed (lost potential performance).

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BlckRck2014 said:

Does this reduce the travel from 80mm to 50mm?  I am probably missing something.

No, because theres a leverage ratio built into the linkage system.

For comparison, my MTB gets 160mm wheel travel from a 65mm stroke shock.

To use the rockshok I finally went with these:

12mm and 12.7mm bushing replacement tool (already used to remove the bushings, one of them was harder, causing the tool hand nut thread to be damaged a bit, but still usable, for now, not best quality, worst case can use a nut later) - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08D3RWLLB/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_3W9W745DQ9VJDCK40X42?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I got that one thinks I would need the 12mm part for the bearing, but no need for it, since the bearing doesn't go in by force, it just slides in, so I recommend a better quality 12.7mm tool for same price instead. 

12x15x12mm needle bearings (bushing replacement sometimes also used on shocks for MTB) - https://www.123bearing.eu/bearings-KT121512-C3-IKO

12mm Seals (to protect bearing from possible dirt, hopefully) - https://www.123bearing.eu/seals-OR-12X1.50-NBR70

I hope this will work out well and the shock eye being 12.7mm wide instead of 12mm wide won't be a problem with the spacers going to the red part shock frame (not the diameter, but side to side on the direction of the support rod). 

I should receive the EX20S in about 2 weeks, after 2 months delay after 3 events (CNY, HK lockdown, EU ports congestion) (3 months and a half to deliver by sea, mad) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, GoGeorgeGo said:

Got the 38rc DNM shock today. Looks like a winner in terms of discount shocks. Has a higher pressure cap than the 36 and seems to have a little more strength as well meaning i dont need as much pressure pumped into it. Fits right in perfectly and feels great 👍.

Im a little under the weather today (waiting on a test result back even though im feeling much better than the past 2 days) so i wont be able to do a real test of it but from just jumping on it to feel it id say i have a winner. Feels plush and is holding me with a beautiful 15% sag at 250lbs pressure.  It maxes out at 275 so id say its good for riders up to about 240 lbs or so. Very satisfied. Now i can finally film a proper review for next week hopefully!

Reposted from master discussion thread where i erroneously posted this first lol

Any update on your shock upgrade?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone have info on what needs to be dremeled out of the trolley handle so it will lock out in the top position?  I heard of this fix but have not seen it documented in regards to what exactly needs to be removed?

1 hour ago, Duf said:

Anyone have info on what needs to be dremeled out of the trolley handle so it will lock out in the top position?  I heard of this fix but have not seen it documented in regards to what exactly needs to be removed?

I'm assuming the hole on the side needs to be lowered by a hair.

4 hours ago, Duf said:

The bolt holes?

Disregard my prior statement. I went down this rabbit hole today and figured out what's going on. Pull the seat up and you'll find 4 screws on each side holding the handle down. Take them off and remove the plates and you can pull the handle out of the wheel. From there you'll see a black plastic piece that slides up and down. That piece is a few millimeters too long and is stopping the handle mechanism from reaching the hole to lock out. Dremel that piece shorter and you'll be good. I've let alien rides now and they are notifying Begode of this issue.

25 minutes ago, arcyenom said:

Disregard my prior statement. I went down this rabbit hole today and figured out what's going on. Pull the seat up and you'll find 4 screws on each side holding the handle down. Take them off and remove the plates and you can pull the handle out of the wheel. From there you'll see a black plastic piece that slides up and down. That piece is a few millimeters too long and is stopping the handle mechanism from reaching the hole to lock out. Dremel that piece shorter and you'll be good. I've let alien rides now and they are notifying Begode of this issue.

Ah nice, do you happen to take any pictures?  Also, this mod didn't affect the trolley handle's ability to lock in the down position, right?  I have heard that being reported as well for some.

Edited by Duf
Add

On 8/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, Duf said:

Ah nice, do you happen to take any pictures?  Also, this mod didn't affect the trolley handle's ability to lock in the down position, right?  I have heard that being reported as well for some.

I haven't done it yet. Need to buy a dremel lol.