Outdoor storage

Tawpie

It's finally time to move the wheels out of the house and somewhere outside, too many stink eyes from the better half and lugging them up and down the stairs is so last year. One of them is a Gotway, and even though it's just an Mten at least one of those has burst into flames so not having them in the basement will improve the general peace of mind and further promote domestic tranquility.

I know to keep them sheltered, and they will come indoors when the temperature is forecast to drop below 35F, but I am curious if anyone keeps their wheels in an unheated space and have they noticed any issues? Absolutely, condensation control is paramount and I'm experimenting with how to stay above dew point without running a space heater. But other than condensation, what's the general feeling about not having a temperature controlled environment for the wheels to live in?

My current plan is a plastic outdoor storage locker monitored for temp, humidity and dew point plus a battery operated smoke detector so we know when to call the fire department. Currently testing a 25W heater intended for gun safes to warm it up just a touch in an attempt to stay above dew point—thus far after 2 solid days of rain and 99% RH outside, the inside of the locker is holding at 88%, 4°F above dew point. This 'should' be good? Or does the RH need to be lower?

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Was eye-ballin' this until I saw the price! Ouch! But it's powder coated metal, waterproof and has a decent level of security. You bolt it to the slab and voila!......

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsmgardensheds.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fcm%2Fs%2Fe%2Fsec4_3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

Maybe purchase a generic Deck Box.

Fairly cheap, no installation required, outdoor weather proof, spacious, easy access, etc.

Example from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keter-Store-It-Out-Midi-30-Cu-Ft-All-Weather-Resin-Storage-Shed-Beige/438112659?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&gclid=CjwKCAiAgvKQBhBbEiwAaPQw3PUz3tyKiDasEpPmpcaZYApEmOlFzMTR9J1-xP8I-Sy7k9SsoWjT9RoCc58QAvD_BwE

Keter Store-It-Out Midi 30-Cu Ft All-Weather Resin Storage Shed, Beige

$168.00

Maybe use yoga foam mats for insulation.

Gyms frequently need to renew their yoga mats (annually maybe?) through wear and tear, dirty appearance etc.

It costs them to dispose of the old mats....maybe make a few inquiries.

Easy to cut to size with a box cutter.

Glue with silicone and sandwich between sheets of cardboard from flattened boxes.  Trim off excess with box cutter.

Great for insulation.  Similar to the aluminum/foam sandwich panels used in cool rooms/freezers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

If only I had room for a shipping container. But if I were to dare put one on the property, it would quickly be designated my bedroom as well and I don't want that.

Lol!!! Too funy....

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

In case of fire (which is not my primary motivation for this effort), I mostly would like to buy time to get people out of the building and for the fire department to arrive, so half measures are acceptable.

My plan right now is to see if low level heat will be enough to prevent condensation. If insulation is necessary, I'll use rock wool mostly because it doesn't fall apart when wet. It will be a bonus that it's also a good flame retardant.

It's also a very good substrate for the cultivation of cannabis - or so I've been told. B)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice. I personally value protection from toxic fumes over the heat from the fire so I'm probably going to try for a solution similar to this.  The temperatures vary quite a bit where I live, though...we can get 0F to 100F so I might need some extra temperature control on the low end.  I am kind of surprised that the demand isn't high enough (or is it?) for a company to step up and start offering solutions. 

In my search, I did run across doghouse heaters: Top 15 Best Dog House Heaters for 2022 - Animalso

Can people's love for pets transfer over to love of their vehicles?  :lol:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ken-ny said:

Very nice. I personally value protection from toxic fumes over the heat from the fire so I'm probably going to try for a solution similar to this.  The temperatures vary quite a bit where I live, though...we can get 0F to 100F so I might need some extra temperature control on the low end.  I am kind of surprised that the demand isn't high enough (or is it?) for a company to step up and start offering solutions. 

In my search, I did run across doghouse heaters: Top 15 Best Dog House Heaters for 2022 - Animalso

Can people's love for pets transfer over to love of their vehicles?  :lol:

xD in my case i don't care about toxic fumes. Fire is the real monster that scares me. When euc starts burning you will hear batteries pooping, smoke alarm. So you can run away.. (My case opening window, simply steping next room and closing doors behind) But fire will BURN everything down. Smoke, black ceilings can be dealt over time.. Fire = end game. Best case one room is burnt down, worst case whole house.

Edited by Funky

If you keep EUC in a fireplace or room with ceramic tile floors, fire is not as concerning as toxic smoke that will ruin everything it touches. In house fires, majority of people die from smoke inhalation. Smoke kills.

I have too been thinking a lot about a storage box for my EUCs. As I live in an apartment, especially worrisome. I could build a metal cabinet with chimney if kept inside, or weatherproof outdoor box with heater if kept out on the balcony.

The prices of pre-made fireproof boxes are ludicrous. See photo.

As EUC are getting more popular, there is going to be a growing need for these fireproof storage sheds, as there is no product on the market for the growing demand.

17B5B184-DB20-4134-BBED-337032DD03FA.thumb.jpeg.2559a542a90627ad9640c504e6ff8066.jpeg

Edited by Mango

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

If you keep EUC in a fireplace or room with ceramic tile floors, fire is not as concerning as toxic smoke that will ruin everything it touches. In house fires, majority of people die from smoke inhalation. Smoke kills.

I have too been thinking a lot about a storage box for my EUCs. As I live in an apartment, especially worrisome. I could build a metal cabinet with chimney if kept inside, or weatherproof outdoor box with heater if kept out on the balcony.

The prices of pre-made fireproof boxes are ludicrous. See photo.

As EUC are getting more popular, there is going to be a growing need for these fireproof storage sheds, as there is no product on the market for the growing demand.

17B5B184-DB20-4134-BBED-337032DD03FA.thumb.jpeg.2559a542a90627ad9640c504e6ff8066.jpeg

Same here apartment.. Yeah i was looking at those to.. 2 Expensive. Cheaper would be buying metal cabinet and insulating inside with "rockwool" or other type fire resistant material. ~400$ end product.

+ you can place that cabinet on some "bricks" so floor doesn't catch on fire from heat.

There are people like my dad/me who simply keep their euc next to bed no protection what so ever.. I'm at least thinking about buying/building something so fire don't spread. xD

Edited by Funky

Storage on apartment balcony.

Need to check if building has flammable cladding.

Grenfell Towers in London tragedy.

Many apartments worldwide also have flammable cladding.

Sometimes manufacturers blatantly lie about the safety standards of products.

13 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Storage on apartment balcony.

Need to check if building has flammable cladding.

Grenfell Towers in London tragedy.

Many apartments worldwide also have flammable cladding.

Sometimes manufacturers blatantly lie about the safety standards of products.

Good old Brick and Mortar. :D 

• Like 1

Cinder blocks, that is a good idea.

Easy DIY to whatever desired dimensions.  

Cinder block incinerators with chimneys are proven.

Need to devise easy/practical way of getting an EUC in and out of the protected space.

One side open with a metal hinged door?

image.png.db64e73ca0dd166fe850679bdff4622a.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Cinder blocks, that is a good idea.

Easy DIY to whatever desired dimensions.  

Cinder block incinerators with chimneys are proven.

Need to devise easy/practical way of getting an EUC in and out of the protected space.

One side open with a metal hinged door?

image.png.db64e73ca0dd166fe850679bdff4622a.png

Or you could simply remember your childhood and rebuild it each time. :D  Yes it will work and be pretty cheap.. But dam that's ugly as duck. And will use up a lot of space.

• Like 1