Outdoor storage

Tawpie

so, if this guy is correct, about the error 27, this ruins my outdoor storage solution. warm moist air, vapor, can penetrate anything not under vacuum, and then condesate against cold metal, causing mold. i've been measuring temperatures and humidity in my boxes and nothing alarming for florida, like 76% high on humidity and 86f on heat. 51% low and 66f low. yesterday. 

On 3/8/2023 at 12:00 PM, novazeus said:

warm moist air
condesate against cold metal

The solution for 'condensation' is: keep the metal warmer than the moist air.

Or more generally: the temperature inside your storage box must stay above the dew point temperature.

A tiny electric heater is the usual answer. Constantly dissipating just 10W of power inside the closed box should be enough to ensure a "warmer-than-outside" condition.
Lightbulbs work nicely too, for a quick 1-week trial... but they will burn out sooner than a heater, so not a great long-term option. 
Try using a cheap indoor-outdoor thermometer display. Place the 'outdoor' probe in the shade and not against the walls of the box. Like: hanging under a wooden table.  Compare the two temperatures once in a while. The objective is "at least 2 degrees warmer inside the box." It will happen naturally when there's sun; and usually the warmth from the day will remain throughout the night; mornings will be the most difficult. So, add heat when needed. 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my outdoor box I have two 25 W heaters marketed for the insides of a safe for safely storing weapons. One is controlled by temperature, the other by humidity. I use controllers meant for mushroom growers or reptile keepers and monitor the temp/humidity both inside and outside (with alarms to my phone). There's also a small fan in there to circulate the air... so far, all has been "just fine"! Where I live, I don't have to worry about overheating. That's on purpose!

• Upvote 1

i have been monitoring it so i don’t think mold or condesation in the battery pack caused error 27. we have wild swings of temperatures and humidity daily.

dealing with the heat of summer is another whole ballgame. hopefully the keter box in the shade will stay relatively cool, for florida if the box didn’t hit 90 i’d be pleased. we don’t have many cold nights that create that condesation from warm moist air, at least not inside the keter boxes. rode the s22 yesterday and it seems fine. i’m gonna try to ride it down to 80 or 70% battery and see if error 27 pops up again after charging it.

69DDA2D7-ED6E-4103-A34D-91FD80281E01.jpeg.d3c533e75e3d528a2938e0673861d15a.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Paul A said:

Steel drum, open at both ends, with a lid.

Place drum over EUC, place lid on top.

If required, insert water hose and flood.

I saw your replies in the Safe EUC storage thread as well! Replying here because this is the later post. I was thinking of cutting an opening and making a door in the barrel to just roll the EUC in, but your idea is interesting as well, did you ever implement it? Then after reading yours and others' posts I got the idea of welding or J-B welding a couple of horizontal bars near the top across the inside of the barrel and placing a sandbag in there essentially on top of the EUC.

Do you think the door idea is feasible? It'll surely prevent lifting the barrel up everyday.

• 7 months later...

so far just bagging the v13's seems to keep any condensation from forming. just a giant garbage bag draped over each one. probably need to do the s22 and s18 as well in our crazy weather down here. cold with high humidity. 

i sleep better knowing these are not near me, and my accommodations aren't much better than this. 

thankfully the fires have quieted down, but i do wonder what the future might hold for restrictions at multifamily dwellings or how they will accommodate the pev users. 

EACED2C8-A9F0-4914-B1ED-9EE2AA1AA29D.jpeg.cb4eb8c898160c74862be6e194b15792.jpeg

• Like 1

stepping up my game since i got a new wheel.

takes less than 30 seconds to cover a wheel and keeps condensation from forming. 

these clear 6mil sb kick ass

Ultrasac 55-60 Gallon 6.0 MIL Clear Heavy Duty Trash Bags - 39" x 58" - Pack of 15 - For Contractor, Construction, & Industrial,UL-39586CL https://a.co/d/gSRCu88

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, novazeus said:

these clear 6mil sb

I'm not sure how you are doing it my friend but the link doesn't take you to what is described in the link. I think you are referring to these?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasac-55-60-Gallon-Clear-Heavy/dp/B09V1SXLYC

I usually go to the page and highlight the address in the address box up above then just click on the text box and paste. For amazon, you can omit everything after the question mark.

I like the idea anyway, for your area with the high humidity it's probably very beneficial.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe

they are way too big but i don't have a bag stretcher so i did overkill. make great rainsuits. and they are def 6mil. might sleep in one myself on cold nights.

my typical wheel usage. amazon says they are delivering tmrw, and at 733pm i get noticed they dropped off at my gate, so i amble out and grab my trusty steed the first v13, and go get the box. these shippers lie about the weight of their packages btw. this on said 14 but closer to 20.  25 pounds is about all i want to bear hug home in the dark.

idk, i've always been this way, if i don't have some reason to go somewhere, i don't go. i never did group rides with harleys except a few to see what the fuss was about. a bunch of grown men playing dressup and pretending to be bikers. 

kinda like growing up out here. the other kids would tell me how much fun they had camping out, and i had no idea what they were talking about. i camped out every night. still do. 

73349A30-2BBA-4FCA-B520-927962760AD1.thumb.jpeg.552201a3986bebbdda75d1567a4045f5.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

@novazeus Did you put the desiccation packs in the wheels or in the bag? 

i just set them on the wheel. here's my s18 and u can see the dessicant pouch thru the bag. they are revhargeable in the microwave.

865C765B-82EE-43B4-984E-D53385CC5964.thumb.jpeg.1d26f7250f0c2f423dc5701d03701185.jpeg

wisedry 50 Gram [10 Packs] Silica Gel Desiccant Packets Microwave Fast Reactivate Moisture Absorbers Bags with Indicating Beads for Closet Gun Safes Bathroom Food Grade https://a.co/d/6d63n5T

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, novazeus said:

i just set them on the wheel. here's my s18 and u can see the dessicant pouch thru the bag. they are revhargeable in the microwave.

865C765B-82EE-43B4-984E-D53385CC5964.thumb.jpeg.1d26f7250f0c2f423dc5701d03701185.jpeg

wisedry 50 Gram [10 Packs] Silica Gel Desiccant Packets Microwave Fast Reactivate Moisture Absorbers Bags with Indicating Beads for Closet Gun Safes Bathroom Food Grade https://a.co/d/6d63n5T

Just curious how/why you decided on 50g packs. Is there a desiccant calculator web page or tool you used?

I have done similar for servers before loading them into shipping containers but guessed at the appropriate size.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, litewave said:

Just curious how/why you decided on 50g packs. Is there a desiccant calculator web page or tool you used?

I have done similar for servers before loading them into shipping containers but guessed at the appropriate size.

this is from amazon's page. in this case, all i'm trying to accomplish is absorbing the moisture in the air when i encapsulate the wheel in the bag. doesn't have to be sealed tightly, just no air movement bringing in more moist air. so if air in the bag can't get out, no new air will get in. the pouch just has to remove a tiny bit of moisture and these packs have had no problem keeping up. this is why all electronics are bagged with silica packs inside the bags. and compared to the tiny pouches they use, these are huge.

u know honestly, in the keter boxes and these huge 6mil trash bags, the dessicant probably even isn't necessary, but besides being prophylactic, it's a way to monitor if any moisture is making it's way past the bag. 

44A3F743-6C9E-44BD-9318-B9E568FADDD2.thumb.jpeg.367111a519ece7502becc5edf3ca8f74.jpeg

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

YES you need it!  You live in FLORIDA, much of which is swamp!  Keep at it, your diligence will be worthwhile over the long haul.  Up here in Alabama I will keep rolling the dice, keeping them in the garage!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

typical problem weather for the heatsink on the bottom of the electronics to get cold and have this high humidity air condensate on it. then, once the heatsink finally warms up and too much water accumulates, then it drips on whatever is underneath it. stored vertically, not a problem, but on the convenient kickstands yes.

0029767B-10CE-4749-B517-438B740F82B0.thumb.jpeg.5b207bb118b7ef89b1728ab3dc6ec2c9.jpeg

• 1 month later...

changed the batting order today. my riding now is 99.97% raw land. these are my strictly raw land wheels. 66lb and 70lb stock lynx  and the stock v13's both fitted with forward and lowered pedals.

thinking about it now, i'm getting around fine on these stock knobbys, so tmrw morning i'm gonna slime all 4 tires because the cactus here i know would cause a leak and i don't want to get stranded.

4C63E2C5-7D3B-4A5D-A194-877FC739D34C.thumb.jpeg.2099a639b3ebaaaec63ae04d7aabdd07.jpeg

these are strictly for running pavement errands. the lynxes suck at carrying weight but my big v13 with it's michelin doesn't care. and my little diy pro s22 pulls the burley wagon perfectly. the other s22 with it's 90/90 r14 michelin gets around fine but the sliders are really accumulating sugar sand. 

i'd like to tune a couple of these s22's to the land and i think if i use this graphite spray i bought the sugar sand won't gunk up because i used it on the diy pro and it looks cleaner.

8C24CE9F-3332-4916-BA04-6E302741E77E.thumb.jpeg.bbc155cf43f59c4bfa6af3376bffa6b9.jpeg