Outdoor storage

Tawpie

the issue where i live is humidity.

it’s 91% now.

without hvac running and removing the moisture from the air, that means wherever vapor can penetrate, there will be moisture.

i noticed condesation on the s22 sitting inside. so i started wrapping the wheels in garbage bags and putting a couple of big dessicant rechargeble packs in with each one. if i leave them outside in my new outdoor storage box, i’ll do the same. not rare for humidity here to be 100%. like last night. i have tubes of silicone and a caulking gun so i’m gonna do a little extra on my keter outdoor storage box. i’ll probably put a big 4 pound tub in it as well. and i’ll need to build a barn around it to keep the donkeys and cows from destroying it. y’all have humans and cars to navigate around, i have donkeys, cows, and a sandhill crane almost took me out last night. good training for the outside world.

sb a whole lot easier having a mini garage on my road instead of trolleying 200’ thru the woods basically. i only do yard maintenance when it’s absolutely necessary, pretty raw out here. snakes etc.

not so worried about fires, i’ll probably always charge inside with me, 3 at a time when the v13 gets here. my medium size generator can charge three eucs and my bluetti 2200w power station simultaneously. so if they catch on fire, sb a doozy. fire inspector was 8 miles away and saw it last time.

but keeping other stuff like protective gear in the box will be handy too.

• Like 2

this keter box is plenty wide to partition off each wheel.

i have to build roll in stands as well.

wouldn’t be a shame to have a v13, s18 and s22 go up in flames because i was storing a mten4 in there with them.

my opinion of gotway/begode is they cut corners. if i was still in my hobbyist mode, and was smarter about euc’s, i might buy begode and disassemble and fix it the way i want it.

we are all beta testers. it’s possible the v13 could burn the others up.

like i said, i was in love with my v10f(which i’ve seen for $1349 online, a better wheel than the mten4 i think, although i have no experience with one) before their fire and recall.

so far in my euc life, i’ve never crashed an euc. fall overs at dismount seem to be my forte, and pretty non eventful with the strategic yoga mat placement,

so if one of mine ever catches fire and it’s not water related, then it’s definitely a factory defect.

i have an electric chainsaw, battery powered,

if i constantly was throwing it in the back of a truck or tossing it on the ground, i’d ecpect it to stop working someday too. it’s fun doing that stuff, like humans with jeeps mudbogging, but the vehicle doesn’t like it and u will have costly premature wear. when u own property like i do, u avoid mud holes because u don’t wanna replace the brakes https://www.walmart.com/ip/54285065

Edited by novazeus
dead link
  • Like 2

has this been posted? no wonder pevs are outlawed in nyc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/us/lithium-ion-ebike-battery-fires.html?smid=url-share

i had not seen this article yet. this is bad because atlanta follows nyc, and tampa follows atlanta, but in this modern age, they all outlaw shit simultaneously.

obviously terrible because humans died.

Edited by novazeus

• 2 weeks later...

the king ranch king song corral is nearing completion. gotta build the keter box and i'm done. might do double duty as an outside crate for Bob so he can laugh at daddy on the wheel.

about 75 yards from where i sleep. if they blow up out there, sb nbd.

85E05CDB-8A68-49C3-8D4D-EDFBF499AB9C.thumb.jpeg.47d90ea086a44dd58c95581ff5c25cf1.jpeg

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, novazeus said:

the king ranch king song corral is nearing completion. gotta build the keter box and i'm done. might do double duty as an outside crate for Bob so he can laugh at daddy on the wheel.

about 75 yards from where i sleep. if they blow up out there, sb nbd.

85E05CDB-8A68-49C3-8D4D-EDFBF499AB9C.thumb.jpeg.47d90ea086a44dd58c95581ff5c25cf1.jpeg

Wild new KS can graze there. :D Until you break them.. And they start listening to you. :D 

I imagined EUC's jumping around in there, when i saw it lol.

for anyone interested, this is keter outside storage max i bought online from walmart, about $200 delivered.

plenty of room for three wheels. 

the box is tight but they have designed it so it vents out the top rear where the lid hinges. i had a small rain last night and it was bone dry. in florida however, with our humidity, if i left a wheel or wheels in it overnight, they'd each be in their own garbage bag with dessicant pouches.

the sides will accomodate shelving so that's where atgatt wil go.FD396FFD-5147-412E-92AF-E961C24ED661.thumb.jpeg.7899b444f0c7f526ee500498302c38d2.jpeg

E22487DD-DED8-4A23-B12F-4B107A7CC7D6.thumb.jpeg.79944797cf7fdfe24553c140f1df2bab.jpeg

6834D5AE-6495-4543-AB67-552AC0325E63.thumb.jpeg.88295828ae00b2221693152a8903529e.jpegFCCBFABC-F7E6-4165-B8D6-F24D30F233FD.thumb.jpeg.6415a7547794cd032cc3601bc268773c.jpeg

i just needed a place the cows and donkeys couldn't try out the wheel and make that dog look like an amateur.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Here's mine.

Duramax steel shed 5'x3' from Home Depot. Just finished assembly and foundation.

B1307B96-3D46-4671-81FC-08981DA532F2.thumb.jpeg.db8322e1bafeadd2641f8ab3d9a93ee0.jpeg

I live in a high-rise apartment so these outdoor euc sheds are practically a requirement. I'm not so much worried about fires as we have fire sprinklers (water damage is also big), I am worried about smoke damage to my suite.

Considerations for my outdoor shed is ventilation, condensation, fire supression and temperate regulation. I ended up deciding on reflectix foil insulation for the walls, and durofoam insulation for the doors, floors and top lid. I will be installing 2" stone pavers for the floor so the balcony floor doesn't get damaged and they're heavy enough to help keep the shed planted during high winds. Also will be installing a timer to turn on a small heater before sunrise, and temp probes to keep the temperature in the shed a few degrees warmer above dewpoint to prevent condensation.

Shed will be home for my Begode wheels and Sherman S. My trusty V8S I'll still keep indoors.

u know, there might be a new industry started, safety storage boxes for pev's for multifamily.

might not be that difficult with the correct automatic chemical suppresion.

i know boats have that in their engine compartments.

did the multifamily u live in actually require it?

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-304a-safety-concerns-with-li-ion

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

High winds could pick up and blow the shed off the balcony.

Whilst I can quite see the odd plastic chair lifting up and flying over the side in high winds there is no way in hell @Mango's monster shed is going anywhere, even without about 100 kilos of wheels inside it ! ;)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

high winds

Force of high winds are capable of making a building of steel and concrete, to sway.

Can uproot trees, lift roofs, heavy terracotta tiles, shatter glass, tip trucks etc.

The shed has a lot of surface area.

I don't doubt the power of the wind. But it can't get under that shed, and there's a fixed windbreak panel behind it protecting it. And if he's got those 2 inch concrete blocks in the base, and the wheels in it, and the doors closed I still think that is very unlikely to go wrong unless Godzilla attacks, and I think he is only interested in Tokyo...

47 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

it can't get under that shed

The shed is: Duramax Steel Shed. 5' x 3'.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuraMax-Building-Products-Common-5-ft-x-3-ft-Interior-Dimensions-4-84-ft-x-2-85-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Storage-Shed/1000875624

DuraMax Building Products 5-ft x 3-ft Galvanized Steel Storage Shed

10793400.jpg?size=pdhism

The shed requires a poured concrete foundation or pressure-treated wood floor base (sold and built separately) as stated in the assembly manual. One could possibly use as-is without a foundation but there's no half-assing when it comes to safety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

u know, there might be a new industry started, safety storage boxes for pev's for multifamily.

might not be that difficult with the correct automatic chemical suppresion.

i know boats have that in their engine compartments.

did the multifamily u live in actually require it?

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-304a-safety-concerns-with-li-ion

My apartment was conceived in 2014 and finished construction in 2020. No consideration given for PEVs, we don't even have AC as it wasn't even a consideration as we started having very hot summers recently.

I am just being proactive in ensuring a modicum of safety whilst enjoying the benefits of euc ownership.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cerbera said:

lifting up and flying over the side

There is the possibility that the explosive force of several wheels stored together, could blow the panels apart, and eject them over the balcony.

Large galvanized steel panels, combined total of around 132 lbs, acting as shrapnel.

• 2 weeks later...

time to ride. 

the weather is gonna be nice for awhile so i’m gonna see how the keter box does.

not sure how the “13” will be set in there.

probably have to design and build a real kickstand. the s18 leans just fine with the yoga mat bits on it.

this is my pedal forward and lowered pad set up for now.30BC85A4-C377-4D61-A989-DA2A4C6F3EF7.jpeg.155deb4a5cfcd4443e85acedb85c83de.jpeg7D7A134B-0E30-4FA5-B94B-ECB64BC830F9.jpeg.c864d7a977c4be690b5556dfd80f5eb0.jpeg8FACC6FD-CF22-4471-A660-33493036445C.jpeg.c6142e04ddfc2c812d4123efd6061395.jpeg

• Like 1

I take it those helmets and whatnot are there just while you gear up ? Otherwise, in a fire, you're gonna lose all that AS WELL !! :/ AND it'll be horribly cold to put on in the winter !

Edited by Cerbera

13 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I take it those helmets and whatnot are there just while you gear up ? Otherwise, in a fire, you're gonna lose all that AS WELL !! :/ AND it'll be horribly cold to put on in the winter !

if there's a fire, i'm not riding anyway. now i guess i'll be cancelling my v13 order. 

i don't want a vendor rebuilding a brand new wheel, nor do i want to. v10f all over again.

i'm in florida. we don't ride below 60f. 

i rode today both wheels with all that leatt stuff. sure is better riding in van's loafers and boxer shorts like yesterday. s22 is dialed in now after cleaning suspension and grinding down the stupid knobs in the center of the tire. the s18 still needs to wear in more.