KS-S20 Tire Discussion

Rollin-on-1

There is a great thread for the KS-16x Tire Discussion and I thought it would be a good idea to start one for the S20.  This will be a place for people to share their thoughts on the stock Jiluer J-820 as well as any aftermarket tires that people try.

There have been many great reviews of the J-820 and there have been concerns about the square edge and a resulting lack of predictability on the edge when cornering.

What say you?  Will you keep the stock tire and give it a chance?  Do you already have a replacement tire in mind?

• Upvote 1

Great idea, glad you started the topic. Now, if we could just see if it's even possible to change the tire… :wacko:

One of the real exciting features of the wheel is that it supposedly has room for a wide variety of tires without having to shave knobs etc. Obviously, I'll be waiting to see how the stock tire performs, especially since it's been generally well received and I'm sort of used to the feeling that the wheel wants to suddenly fall over from having a TR1 on my S18. That feeling isn't surprising to me any longer, but it has meant I needed to spend time practicing turns again and thanks to our early reviewers I am planning a similar learning curve in May.

Edited by Tawpie

18 minutes ago, fbhb said:

The CST 6004, that was one of the tires King Song had in their customer feedback poll, would be my bet as a fantastic hybrid tire (for those wishing to swap from the stock knobby/off road) fitted to the wider S20 rim.

@supercurio can back me up on it's All Round performance on a Sherman 60mm rim, whereas I have it fitted to my S18 40mm rim with the same stellar results.

The ONLY downside to the CST is that it can only be ordered directly from China, from an online store with a fairly involved order process: Link is as follows: https://www.ebuy7.com/item/559731568737

50899947183_aa71d2c799_b.jpg

Great info.  I was interested in the C6004 during the initial discussion about the S20 tire options.  It is good to get some feedback on this tire.  I'm curious how similar it is to the H666.  The profile looks good.

Backing up @fbhb indeed!

The CST C-6004 on a 60mm rim has all the pros the stock knobby is credited for: nimble at low speed, no train tracking, not fighting the rider to stay upright, predicable, keeping its line and lean angle in turns.

But the C-6004 will also be quieter, a lot more precise in cornering at all speeds, and I presume measurably more battery efficient.

The downside some might feel is that at higher speeds only, its profile on a wide rim gives some resistance to quick change of lean angle. For me it's a big plus in steering stability, giving the impression of riding a wheel with a bigger tire but it will make it physically demanding to do deep and quick carves at high speed.

Today I was riding on partially melting then freezing again icy paths with @Rawnei also on Sherman V2 (wide rim) who has the Kenda knobby and traction in this precarious environment seemed comparable. He slid on black ice when I didn't but it was more a matter of luck than anything.

So while the S20 Julier knobby seems very good for a stock knobby tire, I'm fairly confident that the CST C-6004 will be a better fit for many riders, unless they're not evolving on loose off-road and mud.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

My hopeful guess is that it won’t take too long until someone tries one of the current crowd favorites, the Heidenau K66 on the S20. Behavior and performance are probably relatively comparable with the C-6004.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

My hopeful guess is that it won’t take too long until someone tries one of the current crowd favorites, the Heidenau K66 on the S20. Behavior and performance are probably relatively comparable with the C-6004.

Ah yes, the K66 is one I have heard great things about as well.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fbhb said:

Granted that the H666 is a definitely a great tire, however IMHO, the CST outperforms it in every department!

Another added bonus is the compound used also seems to be very wear resistant, as my 5,500kms has only worn it down by approx. 1mm leaving a good 4.5mm-5mm of tread remaining.

Now I am very interested in checking out the C6004.

Edited by Rollin-on-1
Typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pkinpdx said:

I have ridden K66 on the S18 and loved it.  That being said, K66 would feel like a pizza cutter tire in comparison.  I don't think you realize just how wide the new knobby is.  When you put it up next to the Sherman Max with its kenda, its at least 1/2 inch wider.  I'm not sure it would improve things to lose an 3/4 an inch of width on the tire.  I also got used to the stock knobby within a couple minutes and it felt great on the road and unbelievably great off road.

Did you do any deep carving and sharp turns at speeds 35+?  I will be doing this on the S20.  I have concerns about cornering traction while on the narrow edge of the J820.  This is why I am considering options with a more evenly rounded profile.  Looking forward to hearing more about your experience on the J820!  Thx

6 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Did you do any deep carving and sharp turns at speeds 35+?  I will be doing this on the S20.  I have concerns about cornering traction while on the narrow edge of the J820.  This is why I am considering options with a more evenly rounded profile.  Looking forward to hearing more about your experience on the J820!  Thx

I hit 35 a few times but I didn't ever throw big carves at that speed.  I didn't even think about it since I am mostly interested in the wheel for off road.  I would assume you could do better for that specific type of riding with the widest moto tire you can find.  I think the City Grip series is just a bit too wide for sherman's so would probably be perfect.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 7:55 AM, pkinpdx said:

I have ridden K66 on the S18 and loved it.  That being said, K66 would feel like a pizza cutter tire in comparison.  I don't think you realize just how wide the new knobby is.  When you put it up next to the Sherman Max with its kenda, its at least 1/2 inch wider.  I'm not sure it would improve things to lose an 3/4 an inch of width on the tire.  I also got used to the stock knobby within a couple minutes and it felt great on the road and unbelievably great off road.

The tread on the new knobby does look great, I have no doubts about it being a great tire.

Are you maybe referring to the 80/80-14 version of the K66 though? The 80/90-14 I have on my V11 is noticeably wider than the CST C-186 (EU version of the Sherman’s Kenda).

Also, until you tilt the tire to its limits, the tire profile is the one that determines the turning behavior and stability. It usually goes somewhat hand in hand with the width, but the K66 (80/90-14) does feel like a slightly wider tire than it’s measures would suggest.

Also, the super wide S20 rim gives all tires a different shape that a narrow 40mm rim. Don’t know which rim the Sherman Max uses, but comparing the tire with head to head might not be quite that straight forward.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pirelli Angel 80/90-14 has been mounted on an S22.  It looks like a good option for a street tire.  Info obtained from telegram chat.  Reports are that it looks and rides great.

Edited by Rollin-on-1
  • Like 1

I'm really liking the looks of the Michelin City Grip 2.  It comes in a 90/90-14 52S and a 100/90-14 57s.  Which do you think would be the best for the S22?  I imagine a 100mm wide tire has got to be pushing the limits.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, Rollin-on-1 said:

Pirelli Angel 80/90-14 has been mounted on an S22.  It looks like a good option for a street tire.  Info obtained from telegram chat.  Reports are that it looks and rides great.

The Angel is what Forward 'n Bak was riding in this video. 

6 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I'm really liking the looks of the Michelin City Grip 2.  It comes in a 90/90-14 52S and a 100/90-14 57s.  Which do you think would be the best for the S22?  I imagine a 100mm wide tire has got to be pushing the limits.

The Pirelli Angel costs between $50-60 USD from my local PowerSports shop, whereas the Michelin is over $100. I know WrongWay released a video recently praising the Michelin City Pro 2 on his Sherman. It would be great if one of the now several S22 dealers could help do a side-by-side video review/comparison and offer one or both tire(s) as an aftermarket option pre-installed, with recommendations for tire width.

Personally, I would not want a 100mm (3.93") tire which is almost as wide as the Z10 (110mm), if it also exhibits strong tendencies to train-track. The S22 is much taller and less balanced overall than the compact Z10, which could be very difficult to compensate for. If I'm buying the S22 for ride comfort and trust, I want the opposite of the Z10 ride experience at speed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, litewave said:

The Pirelli Angel costs between $50-60 USD from my local PowerSports shop, whereas the Michelin is over $100.

Do those prices include mounting the tire too?  I've seen the Angel in the $40s and the various Michelins in the $50s -upper $60s.

4 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Do those prices include mounting the tire too?  I've seen the Angel in the $40s and the various Michelins in the $50s -upper $60s.

No. Local PowerSports dealer with high overhead and margins. I'm fairly sure they would mount it for me at a reasonable price and take it back if it doesn't fit at no cost, however.

Do you have any links for the prices you found?

On 5/5/2022 at 8:23 PM, litewave said:

The Pirelli Angel costs between $50-60 USD from my local PowerSports shop, whereas the Michelin is over $100. I know WrongWay released a video recently praising the Michelin City Pro 2 on his Sherman. It would be great if one of the now several S22 dealers could help do a side-by-side video review/comparison and offer one or both tire(s) as an aftermarket option pre-installed, with recommendations for tire width.

Personally, I would not want a 100mm (3.93") tire which is almost as wide as the Z10 (110mm), if it also exhibits strong tendencies to train-track. The S22 is much taller and less balanced overall than the compact Z10, which could be very difficult to compensate for. If I'm buying the S22 for ride comfort and trust, I want the opposite of the Z10 ride experience at speed.

Unfortunately the michelin tyres in the right size are pretty thin on the ground here in Australia. But as @Tawpiementioned we do have a comparison of the stock Jiluer tyre to an Pirelli Angel 80/80 online at 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 3:51 AM, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Unfortunately the michelin tyres in the right size are pretty thin on the ground here in Australia. But as @Tawpiementioned we do have a comparison of the stock Jiluer tyre to an Pirelli Angel 80/80 online at Kingsong S22 Tyre comparison: Jiluer vs Pirelli

Thanks, @Brendan "nog3" Halliday and @E-RIDERZ!

I saw this vid when it first was released but skipped to the end initially. I watched it again in its entirety. I think the summary is equivocating and glossed over the major differences covered in the body of the review (for me, at least):

1. the Pirelli Angel is far more nimble and can negotiate tight turns much tighter;
  2. the Pirelli Angel seems to eliminate the feeling of top-heaviness that exists with the stock tire;
  3. the Pirelli Angel performs well off-road in mild to moderate terrain, with no discernible difference.

Given the decent price (still) of the 80/80 Pirelli Angel (front) I think this is a must-have upgrade for those of us who ride on pavement most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thinking about ordering a k66. Now, which size to get 80/90 or 90/90 or 90/80? I’m thinking the 90/80 could be the widest while still keeping diameter similar. 90/90 would probably be too tall.

Edited by jrhz06

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 7:59 PM, jrhz06 said:

Thinking about ordering a k66. Now, which size to get 80/90 or 90/90 or 90/80? I’m thinking the 90/80 could be the widest while still keeping diameter similar. 90/90 would probably be too tall.

Can I ask why do you want widest possible? I’m possibly going to get the 80/90 version if someone buys my 80/80 tire. Seems like a good balance. Still debating on trying the 80/80 first because I already have it. Or getting something completely different. Hoping the stock would be good enough and avoid the changing process.