KS-S20 Tire Discussion

Rollin-on-1

18 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Just thinking out loud and wondering what other people would recommend or think about it. For what it’s worth, I ended up getting an 80/90 K66.

You don’t have it in an S22 yet, do you? Would be great to have your opinion on it when you do. 

Delivery of the S22 is supposed to be July 7th so hopefully I can let you know my thoughts later next week. I’m trying the stock tire first then will change out to the k66. I used an 80/80 Angel and tr1 on my s18 so hoping the k66 is somewhere between those two tires.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my S-22!!! 
Wow fun stuff! Quite an upgrade from my S-18!

And yup the tire on it now is sluggish and is unbalanced. I’m bumping down the road. I’ll see what I can do with it while I’m waiting for my new Pirelli Angel. 

Just to chime in to this discussion, I know I am a minority with my opinion but I love the stock tire, running it at 40PSI and it's behaving like a champ. I'm used to the Kenda 262 and the stock tire behaves similarly but actually better IMO, no issues turning and it's super stable at 40PSI.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Just to chime in to this discussion, I know I am a minority with my opinion but I love the stock tire, running it at 40PSI and it's behaving like a champ. I'm used to the Kenda 262 and the stock tire behaves similarly but actually better IMO, no issues turning and it's super stable at 40PSI.

Well Let’s just say I’m not disappointed in the S-22! 
To be fair I haven’t tried inflating the tire to 40#. I’ll do that and see if I get a better ride with it.

Right out of the box the spring and shock rebound work great. 

So far the only things I will change are the tire and the pads. For me the pads are set too far back and not very soft. They dig into my caves a little. I’m going to have to pull the boomerang off to get them far enough forward. I’m thinking of moving it up and forward. Then using double sided tape to fasten them. That means cutting the plastic support or making a new one. 
I feel like a poor imitation of Kuji Rolls leaning forward trying to get going. 

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Well Let’s just say I’m not disappointed in the S-22! 
To be fair I haven’t tried inflating the tire to 40#. I’ll do that and see if I get a better ride with it.

Right out of the box the spring and shock rebound work great. 

So far the only things I will change are the tire and the pads. For me the pads are set too far back and not very soft. They dig into my caves a little. I’m going to have to pull the boomerang off to get them far enough forward. I’m thinking of moving it up and forward. Then using double sided tape to fasten them. That means cutting the plastic support or making a new one. 
I feel like a poor imitation of Kuji Rolls leaning forward trying to get going. 

Good on you, the boomerang is more or less pointless, it's just int he way provides no useful functionality and I can't imagine those tiny screws holding it would sustain time. For me the stock pads was mainly too wide, adding more width to an already wide wheel but ontop of that was difficult to adjust correctly but some people seem to find a sweet spot with them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac said:

So far the only things I will change are the tire and the pads.

i agree with you. the pads are hard and i haven't found a good position for them, even after removing the boomerang. i put velcro on them so i can at least experiment before looking for something better.

i don't mind the tire, except when doing tight turns. this is my first knobby so it's taking some time to get used to. the street tire on my KS18 felt comfortable at a very extreme angle. it never felt like it would "roll over" on me. the stock knobby on the KS22 is good until i get to a certain angle, and then it feels like it's going to tip all the way over. i don't know if it would eventually "catch" or not. the wheel being somewhat top-heavy is probably contributing to this feeling. i'll have to work with it for a few weeks before deciding if a street tire would be more comfortable for me.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Good on you, the boomerang is more or less pointless, it's just int he way provides no useful functionality and I can't imagine those tiny screws holding it would sustain time. For me the stock pads was mainly too wide, adding more width to an already wide wheel but ontop of that was difficult to adjust correctly but some people seem to find a sweet spot with them!

We need to ask @Jack ex-KS whether the boomerang was a marketing decision. 

51 minutes ago, buffs said:

i don't mind the tire, except when doing tight turns. this is my first knobby so it's taking some time to get used to. the street tire on my KS18 felt comfortable at a very extreme angle. it never felt like it would "roll over" on me. the stock knobby on the KS22 is good until i get to a certain angle, and then it feels like it's going to tip all the way over. i don't know if it would eventually "catch" or not. the wheel being somewhat top-heavy is probably contributing to this feeling. i'll have to work with it for a few weeks before deciding if a street tire would be more comfortable for me.

My tip is to not give up, give the stock tire a chance, it feels very nimble for me, but as with any new tire if you are not used to the behavior it takes some time getting used to and it can be a vastly different experience from tire to tire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

We need to ask @Jack ex-KS whether the boomerang was a marketing decision.

I'll give you three guesses. And the first two don't count. :D

(although, it was either marketing or industrial design—I don't know how separate those departments are so 'technically' it might have been a design decision. Back in the day when I did hardware, my marketeer was very pointed in their displeasure with some 'rib' features in the plastics... my designer never had an answer other than 'they're intentional' and we shipped a million units. Won an IDSA gold design award too)

Edited by Tawpie

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Back in the day when I did hardware, my marketeer was very pointed in their displeasure with some 'rib' features in the plastics... my designer never had an answer other than 'they're intentional'

Wait a minute, what is an EE doing with ribs, and plastic? Or, you just overheard?

Getting back on topic, Jack was the marketing director for the S20/22 at Kingsong. But he was also a rider. My guess is that he is more of a "pro function" type of guy. Perhaps the compromise was that the boomerang must be simple to remove?

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Wait a minute, what is an EE doing with ribs, and plastic?

I was PM on that one... I had to adjudicate, and overheard more than I let on—partly because I insisted my marketeer sit in the cube next to me rather than with their compatriots on a different floor. I did this so I could at least hear the lies they were telling prospective customers first hand. It was an effective tactic, even if it wasn't universally appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, Rawnei said:

Rawnei I see what you mean, just tried using 40# in the tire, sure wasn’t sluggish any longer it was like riding on a marble pretty squirrely way too lively. Every gust of wind was blowing me around! So I’ve lowered the pressure a little and tomorrow I’ll see what she feels like. 
Thanks for the advice. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 11:03 AM, UniVehje said:

You don’t have it in an S22 yet, do you? Would be great to have your opinion on it when you do. 

Finally put the k66 on. Don’t like it. I tried various pressures and it didn’t change the feeling of riding on a knife edge. I found it always wanted to be on edge and very unstable in a straight line. I much preferred the Pirelli Angel which was on my s18 but for now I’ll stick to the stock tire for a while before trying the Pirelli on it.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, jrhz06 said:

Finally put the k66 on. Don’t like it. I tried various pressures and it didn’t change the feeling of riding on a knife edge. I found it always wanted to be on edge and very unstable in a straight line. I much preferred the Pirelli Angel which was on my s18 but for now I’ll stick to the stock tire for a while before trying the Pirelli on it.

Like most tires, the K66 will change in behaviour at some point around 100-200 miles in. That said, I don't think it's a tire for everyone, and the change  didn't make it into a different tire.

I hated the K66 at first. It was noticeably slower to accelerate and felt quite unstable in a straight line over the stock tire. One issue was I didn't get the tire centered on the rim right on the first mount so there was some unnatural lean that was super evident at speed too.

Like @mrelwood said though, it took those 200 miles to break in and get used to the different behavior, only then I could appreciate it over stock.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:25 AM, Trevor Phillips said:

My friend fitted a Michelin City Pro 90/90-14

im yet to ride it but I understand it’s amazing, smooth and turns great

and going by my experience on the same tyre on a different wheel I’m sure I’ll agree

B62735F8-A539-4809-9FC6-14172293635F.jpeg

Looks great. Hopefully someone can test the Pirelli Angel 80/80-14 vs the Michelin City Pro II at some point.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with or knowledge of the City Pro vs. City Pro II ? The Michelin tires are a little a harder to get and more expensive than the Pirelli in the US, and the first version is still available here.

Thanks

Edited by litewave
corrected Pirelli tire size from 80/90 to 80/80