King Song S16 Speculation (no confirmation yet, only rumor)

Funky

24 minutes ago, yoos said:

@Rollin-on-1 You suggest that light, slow wheels are necessarily beginner wheels and that people inevitably upgrade to heavier, faster wheels as their skill grows. 

You may have inferred that, but I didn't imply that.  Simply that a new rider shouldn't start on a suspension wheel.  

I also don't think that tge S16 should compete with the S20 or be heavy.  Wasn't it you that mentioned a 32S2P battery config with high discharge cells?  I think you were onto something there!

A suspension commuter can come later (or the S16 could be both, but it shouldn't be limited to speeds below 50kph).  As long as it is a short range wheel, there is no need to sacrifice speed or be heavy.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

You may have inferred that, but I didn't imply that.  Simply that a new rider shouldn't start on a suspension wheel.  

I also don't think that tge S16 should compete with the S20 or be heavy.  Wasn't it you that mentioned a 32S2P battery config with high discharge cells?  I think you were onto something there!

A suspension commuter can come later (or the S16 could be both, but it shouldn't be limited to speeds below 50kph).  As long as it is a short range wheel, there is no need to sacrifice speed or be heavy.

Then again why not? I don't see myself buying another wheel for at least 5 years.. And if i have to chose one, i would chose the euc that i would need for my daily riding.

If people have option from non suspension vs with one, most people would got for comfort. (I would chose euc on being "robust" as it's my daily workhorse)

What i'm trying to say, is that people would buy best euc they would see fit for themselves. My case that would be something light, stable, speed around 30-50kmh, and for range i don't care, as i can recharge it at home/job.

Most people that buy it for simple riding don't make acc on forum.. They simply use it as regular "bike" riding daily, not talking and checking "future" releases. They bought it and are enjoying it as simple transportation device, what it is at the end of day.

I'm here writing mostly because i'm bored. xD

Edited by Funky
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Funky said:

In reality it doesn't matter what we are saying here. xD Because S16 design, prototypes, should already be made somewhere..

I'm not trying to rain on your parade... (Development of what's going to become the S16 is probably well underway by now.)

I agree with most ideas on what they should do next, but I think many are too bold a follow-up to the S20 (for Kingsong).

The S20 is ambitious and ground-breaking, yet entirely predictable in terms of following the market (which is currently focused on heavy wheels).

I don't like it any more than you do, but I'm speculating on what Kingsong will do; (not what they should do). Prepare yourself for disappointment. :facepalm:

There is only one way to right this ship and that is: "stop buying such heavy wheels!" (They're just going to keep making them heavier.)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I'm not trying to rain on your parade... (Development of what's going to become the S16 is probably well underway by now.)

Emm? That's exactly what i said. xD As S16 is already "built" somewhere.

1 minute ago, Funky said:

That's exactly what i said.

I quoted you. (+ Added comments...) 

Let it be known to all that: Funky first stated that the wheel Kingsong announced (and that we have all been speculating on) exists in some fashion or multiverse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayRay said:

I quoted you. (+ Added comments...) 

Let it be known to all that: Funky first stated that the wheel Kingsong announced (and that we have all been speculating on) exists in some fashion or multiverse. 

And i quoted you. (+ Added comments...) :) 

Yup that's right, it's my "Dream Wheel" That i'm speculating on.<3 In reality it could be 35kg, 16" super wheel, that goes 100kmh speed. And has the biggest battery. That's why it's 16" wheel, they need place for battery.. <3

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RayRay said:

All sarcasm aside, you may not be far off... @Funky

Let's hope Kingsong can find new market potential in a return to small and portable wheels. :thumbup:

Hope dies last. It would be kinda foolish for KS not take up the "light class" for S16. Just saying, as they just released the S20.. Next plan would be something lighter. Then again something middle.

ks14>ks16>ks18>s20   Repeat starting S16. xD

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Just a S18 with a smaller tire. Maybe a bit more performance, if possible. Good build quality and waterproofing. Keep the price down. I believe this is how KS can find success.

They can either stay 84V like the S18 (1110Wh), or go 126V with a 2p (1110Wh) or 3p (1660Wh) battery with high discharge cells, if that allows the price to be low enough.

I believe the S18 may be quite popular with new riders because a) it has all the features - suspension, decent top speed, decent range, etc. and b) the price isn't crazy high (same for V11). They should be able to do the same for a S16.

If it exists, because you're right that differentiating it will be difficult. But I don't think they'll give up on an entire size altogether. Might as well close up shop then.

2 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

Great riding wheel, just need to address the crap quality.

Say that again after 1 year. When you have to replace those rubber/plastic sliders. If not rebuilding whole suspension.

Quick question: Is there any grease inside that place, where those sliders slide? If yes - enjoy your clunky suspension pretty soon. Open frame suspension where dirt/sand can mix with grease, is simply so dumb design.. When grease mixes with sand, it becomes sandpaper. Same time the suspension gets clunky as duck. When i saw that design - i said "Duck that piece of crap". And have never looked at S20/22 again, because it's simply dumb wheel. Sure it will ride nicely at start, but over time it will have so many problems..

I highly recommend removing all grease of those sliders. (Yes running them dry will work better.. Or at least use Dry lube.) If they still "ship/sell" them with any grease in there. (If they have removed grease now - then you can ignore my rant.) :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Say that again after 1 year. When you have to replace those rubber/plastic sliders. If not rebuilding whole suspension.

Quick question: Is there any grease inside that place, where those sliders slide? If yes - enjoy your clunky suspension pretty soon. Open frame suspension where dirt/sand can mix with grease, is simply so dumb design.. When grease mixes with sand, it becomes sandpaper. Same time the suspension gets clunky as duck. When i saw that design - i said "Duck that piece of crap". And have never looked at S20/22 again, because it's simply dumb wheel. Sure it will ride nicely at start, but over time it will have so many problems..

I highly recommend removing all grease of those sliders. (Yes running them dry will work better.. Or at least use Dry lube.) If they still "ship/sell" them with any grease in there. (If they have removed grease now - then you can ignore my rant.) :D 

Removed the grease a few hundred miles ago. A bit of dry lube every couple of rides and no issues so far. If I need to rebuild it in a years time I’m fine with that.

11 hours ago, Funky said:

There are roller bearing options that are less expensive that many of the coil springs that people rushed out to buy.  For $30 in materials the slider issue is resolved.  And rumor has it that KS will be releasing a V2 that fixes the sliders, so even the DIY upgrade should only be a gap measure.  

The stator slipping issue has been resolved in motors built after July.  The latest BMS fw is balancing the cells very well now.  

Pretty soon the issues will be resolved and the S22 will be a great wheel for a wide segment of the riding community.  It's just too bad that KS didn't have these sorted out before the initial release.  Their reputation has taken a huge hit as a result.

Let's hope they learned their lesson and get things right before they release the S16.

Edited by Rollin-on-1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Justin38 said:

kingsong takes too long to develop this wheel, I decided to do it by myself: 

image.png.6c17d2a13c2215f116f525bb7b094194.png

More information here: 

https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/21399-une-kingsong-s16/

Very cool.  I need to run the text through a translator.  Looking forward to reading all about what you've done.  Your wheel on 100v would be the ideal wheel for me!  Eager to see what the manufacturers come out with soon.

• Like 1