S20 ability to run without out a hall sensor

Resko727

I haven’t seen anyone mention this and I believe this a step in right direction to remove a potential weakness in eucs designs. I would like to hear more about this and wonder how it works in reality. I admire KingSong move in the right direction where saftey is big part of design.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Resko727 said:

I haven’t seen anyone mention this

It's rare.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18012-hall-sensor-disconnected-while-riding-faceplant/

It may become more relevant as these new sprung-chassis suspension wheels age, and their constantly flexing motor cables deteriorate... but in my experience, thick conductors crack and fail faster than thin ones when exposed to the same flexing cycle, so it may be that you'll lose the motor phase wires before the position sensor wires :(

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 3

I think sensor reading failures are more common than we believe. It is not like a cable must come loose, nor the sensors have to fail all together. False reading can happen, and they can lead to failure. Ninebot's black box was very useful for observing this, I could see hall sensors reading fail warnings quite often when I was pushing the Wheel to the limits. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

It may become more relevant as these new sprung-chassis suspension wheels age, and their constantly flexing motor cables deteriorate

Monokoleso-Kingsong-S18-predprodazhnaya-

Is this wire constantly flexing with the suspension? (Yikes!) 

47 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Sometimes people say that gyroscopes are used for balancing an EUC but I don't think that's exactly what's happening—in practice it's done more simply with accelerometers. Precision gyroscopes are expensive and fragile and suffer from drift, so while the concept is sort of correct, a real gyroscope probably wouldn't work very well at all.

You did a pretty good job of explaining the hall sensors job :)

For the accelerometer/gyro argument, I would say euc's use gyros. Only because, in my view, accelerometers by definition measure acceleration (change of vector).

Gyros by definintion measure change of rotation around an axis and this is the crux of the difference :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

This is probably a stupid question but aren't hall effect sensors used to detect magnetic change? What do they do in an EUC? I thought EUCs used accelerometers to detect how the wheel was orientated. I'm a bit confused (most of the time actually).

The hall sensors count the number of magnets going by, and thus establish the speed of rotation (at least at low speed).

You're right that this has nothing to do with balancing, an accelerometer is the only input for that.

The only connection seems to be that the speed of rotation must be known for the firmware to figure out whether to speed up or slow down to reduce the tilt as measured by the accelerometer. But I would guess that in theory you could live without hall sensors and just go by "more power" or "less power" compared to what happened a fraction of a second before, with only the tilt (accelerometer) as input.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

For the accelerometer/gyro argument, I would say euc's use gyros. Only because, in my view, accelerometers by definition measure acceleration (change of vector).

Gyros by definintion measure change of rotation around an axis and this is the crux of the difference :)

Agreed... it's semantic. A "gyro" can be implemented with a spinning flywheel or a ring laser or a set of force vector sensors like accelerometers. Functionally, it's about rotation about the axis.

• Like 1