Hall sensor disconnected while riding = faceplant?

RagingGrandpa

Has anyone experienced a during-use failure of 1 rotor position sensor?
(And, did the wheel continue self-balancing?)

If 1 or 2 sensors are lost, it's possible for the controller to continue running the motor based on estimated rotor position- especially if the motor does not need to stop and reverse.
If all sensors are lost, it's possible for the controller to run in full sensorless mode, but this normally requires additional electronics to monitor phase voltages more carefully.

So my question: do our EUC's include such features, to prevent a highspeed fall during such failures?

(This is becoming especially relevant with the introduction of sprung chassis...)

If no prior information is discovered, a test could be performed...

Searched and didn't find, TIA

200605DE-E3E1-4D86-9663-E41B89DC7460.jpe

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer@ the other post, hope i don't mess this one up with my limited experience on this different topic again :P You actually do make a good point !

i have experience/ experiment this on my ebike, esk8 & EUCs, esk8 controller works on both brush/ brushless wheel, old ebike doesn't but when the ebike wheel is manualy spin up, at certain timing, it does spun with no problem. esk8 controller even advertised this as a feature that if its hall input is faulty, it will auto switch to brush mode but if i remember it correctly, it will only work when 2 or 3 hall failure but not one. On EUCs, it will fail on either one hall or two hall or three hall faulty. All of these tests is on stagnant state to spinning.

For science, i guess you'll have to hands on experiment this to know if our EUCs will still balance or face-plant us during-use failure, hopefully the controller won't burnt out, i did this once when i switch off during a lift up spin out :lol:

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, Wykz said:

Acm hall sensor is H149, can i use other hall sensor? Or only H149! Thank you for replying

I have no idea. Probably any hall sensor with the right specs (whatever those are) will work, but that's a guess.

Also not sure how realistic/easy/doable a hall sensor replacement would be.

Also not sure how realistic/easy/doable a hall sensor replacement would be.

I have replaced the motor wiring and hall sensors on my MSX. Quite a work, but doable.

As long as the hall sensors are of the right polarity, they will probably work. The local electronic component store salesman helped me choose based on the original speed sheet, but I don’t remember what was the difference between the few options they had.

I don’t know how many offline hall effect sensors it takes for the wheel to quit and give an error, but when the cabling on mine was damaged, the wheel did start and balance until the tire turned to the position that uses the offline sensor. Then it stopped balancing and beeped for error. My guess is that at least the MSX does not run with a faulty sensor.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The wheel will faceplant. And mosfetts will burn.its like the brakes turn on and it locks up. At least that's what happed to me. 

My hall cable was sevored when I replaced my c30 rim on my msx . So I had to reattach it.I ended up just making the hell cable shorter because it was only the last inch or so. Depends didn't fit perfectly inside the connector but I don't think they're meant to be take it in and out of that little 5 pin jst connector. In any event I had a connected and working. At least for 20 miles or so so untill I hit a really hard bump on the road going 28 miles an hour. Crash was kind of odd because the wheel didn't jump or spin out or do anything crazy didn't really destroy itself like you would expect it just slid with me on the pavement. What I started to try to move the wheel it was completely locked up I couldn't turn it off button what the led lights on the MSX were flashing . Later when I was able to open it up I saw only the hall sensor cable was disconnected. I saw a little bit of black soot took motherboard out and saw 4 mophets were burnt out .  The wheels not locked up anymore. And that hopefully the new board should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I don't know if I'll be able to ride it. Probably going to wait a week for some of my injuries to heal. Helmet saved my life don't think I ever going to ride without pads again though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Globewheel said:

My hall cable was sevored when I replaced my c30 rim on my msx . So I had to reattach it.
I had (it) connected and working. At least for 20 miles or so so untill I hit a really hard bump on the road going 28 miles an hour.
Helmet saved my life

Glad you're ok! Road rash sucks!

It underscores the safety-critical components in the EUC: there are things inside that must be in pristine condition for you to ride safely. If damage is found, good-as-new repair or replacement must be performed. If not, risk of cut-out and serious injury increases!

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1