INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

12 minutes ago, Shane Dougherty said:

I purchased from Chicway but have not got any confirmation when I ask about replacement boards and when I sent an email to Inmotion service they also do not respond.

Frustrating to not know.

ya I was feeling that until I got my notice. 

The mail I got mentioned that they had sold enough units that its going to take 8 weeks to get through all the work of replacing the boards, and that they are specifically hiring people to do it. That's a lot of work for a company to have to take on. If they do that at their own expense they are getting burned too. So InMotion is probably negotiating with each store individually. And can't promise you that your purchaser will fix it without making some deal with them first. And the stores can't promise to take care of it without giving up some leverage in their negotiating. So everyone stays tight lipped.  

• Like 1

the email i got from ewheels said inmotion have committed to replacing ALL driver boards from sold v12's at no cost. shipping will also be covered. i plan to do the replacement myself. i dont trust that a bunch of over-worked folks will be as diligent and careful as i will be. also, i dont want to be without my wheel for multiple weeks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, evans036 said:

the email i got from ewheels said inmotion have committed to replacing ALL driver boards from sold v12's at no cost. shipping will also be covered. i plan to do the replacement myself. i dont trust that a bunch of over-worked folks will be as diligent and careful as i will be. also, i dont want to be without my wheel for multiple weeks.

That's interesting, my supplier will not cover shipping there only back to me.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

That's interesting, my supplier will not cover shipping there only back to me.

That kind of makes sense, with Inmotion's offer to cover $100 worth of replacement costs (it costs $80 to ship the wheel domestically). Not saying it's good but saying I understand why the reseller makes that choice- otherwise they're out $60. Maybe you could ask for the actual price they pay on the packing slip, and for them to give you a refund of the difference. That would only make sense if they didn't have any expenses to do the installation, but I was raised to haggle

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Richardo said:

That kind of makes sense, with Inmotion's offer to cover $100 worth of replacement costs (it costs $80 to ship the wheel domestically). Not saying it's good but saying I understand why the reseller makes that choice- otherwise they're out $60. Maybe you could ask for the actual price they pay on the packing slip, and for them to give you a refund of the difference. That would only make sense if they didn't have any expenses to do the installation, but I was raised to haggle

Yes that's what I was thinking and I'm ok with it, just strange if other resellers says everything covered with gives the impression that Inmotion is covering it but maybe they are just covering some of it.

14 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Yes that's what I was thinking and I'm ok with it, just strange if other resellers says everything covered with gives the impression that Inmotion is covering it but maybe they are just covering some of it.

maybe ewheels are paying for shipping out of their own pockets - i dont know. this is the actual email i got from them:

Good morning Steve,

Absolutely, the game-plan is that Inmotion have committed to sending out replacement controllers for all current V12 Customers, but they're constrained by MOSFET chip shortages, it will probably be late April until those boards show. We'll be working on a board replacement program once they become available, all the costs will be covered by us, including shipping. 

Hope this helps,

Jason  
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, evans036 said:

I agree. I'd much rather replace myself and know its been done right.

• Upvote 2

Replacing the board was about as annoying as changing the brakes on my car. 

for other people that replaced a v12, did the “sockets” for the LEDs and speaker connectors pop off your board like they were never fastened down at all? 

On 3/10/2022 at 7:41 PM, Shane Dougherty said:

I agree. I'd much rather replace myself and know its been done right.

I just heard from jason_ken@outlook.com

He's  from Chicway and claims that Inmotion will only replace control boards from the 1st batch and I'm out if luck. 

I hope @cecily inmotion will read this and please respond.

You can email me if you prefer shaned9338@gmail.com 

Thanks

What does this Chicway rep mean by "1st batch"?

Inmotion wording definitely covers all the V12 sold so far.

If a distributors says anything different, either it's a misunderstanding, or they want to resell a bunch of V12 boards they got for free as well as keeping a $100 rebate on future orders for their own profit.

@Shane Dougherty I encourage you to insist confidently in your right to get a replacement board.

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, supercurio said:

What does this Chicway rep mean by "1st batch"

Inmotion wording definitely covers all the V12 sold so far.

If a distributors says anything different, either it's a misunderstanding, or they want to resell a bunch of V12 boards they got for free as well as keeping a $100 rebate ok future orders for their own profit.

@Shane Dougherty I encourage you to insist confidently in your right to get a replacement board.

I've been doing that but he's getting pissed off and I'm at my wits end. I'm hoping @cecily inmotion can help?

1 hour ago, Shane Dougherty said:

I've been doing that but he's getting pissed off and I'm at my wits end. I'm hoping @cecily inmotion can help?

That would be @Cecily Inmotion for quoting (can be difficult to activate on some mobile platforms).

I might suggest reaching her and describe the issue from the "Inmotion EUC Official Group" telegram channel, where it appears she's most active.

Regarding "when", I raised the question of strict lockdowns in a discussion with Cecily in January, and how it would affect Inmotion's work.
It was predictable for a while that a continuation of China's zero-COVID policy would bring significant disruptions for minor benefits (if any), with Omicron at play.

Unless most of the replacement boards were already produced, it seems likely that their delivery to fix all the V12 will be delayed.

• Sad 2

Wow so inmotion finally is going to be replacing boards for ALL customers regardless of spin test result? That’s good news. Did they mention whether the replacement boards will have different specs for the mosfets / redesigned? I assume so otherwise why bother replacing like for like on wheels that didn’t fail spin test.

7 hours ago, ESB said:

Did they mention whether the replacement boards will have different specs for the mosfets / redesigned?

Yes.

From page 54:
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/24258-inmotion-v12/?do=findComment&comment=407153

On 2/25/2022 at 6:02 AM, supercurio said:

Got a reply from Inmotion, which opens more questions so I asked for clarification:

We have two Mosfets models:
HY5012W(TO-247)and  HGP039N15M(T0-220)

Edited by RagingGrandpa

On 3/3/2022 at 5:39 PM, supercurio said:

It looks like some resellers opted for not saying anything. I even chatted with a French reseller (Inmotion France / New Walking) who still pretend that the problem was "solved" by the stress test, and that they didn't plan to take any further action.
Which is complete BS, and I don't expect it will last.

@Silverfish I would suggest you contact your distributor without waiting, just in case Inmotion forgot them or they would think about keeping a bunch of V12 replacement boards obtained for free, to sell later or anything stupid like that.

@Cecily Inmotion

11 minutes ago, toe said:

Is anyone still riding their V12, or is the consensus that we shouldn't be riding it until board/MOSFET replacement?

I am riding mine pretty often. I think you would need to make a call for yourself what you are willing to risk. I am not hearing of too many more cutouts lately, but it could be because people arent riding them. Or there just arent many more in people hands due to waiting for stock, etc. 

I am even a bit nervous replacing my working board in fear that the new one may have issues.. I know that sounds crazy, but i just am not 100% confident in the parts being sourced.. I don't fully blame inmotion.. but the track record right now is a bit skewed in the wrong direction. Part of me feels, if its not broke.. don't fix it.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1