Rules for EUCs at airport?

Anyone know the rules? I’m sure you can’t carry on, but can you pack it in stored luggage? And then if you can, how would you pack it so they don’t damage it because it will get threw around hard. I’m sure different airlines have different rules but does anyone have experience in this area? 

Most airlines ban batteries over 100Wh (a big laptop) as well as PEVs even without batteries installed.

Too bad but I prefer this than going down in flames because of someone’s POS scooter..

(not that yours is a POS PEV but you get my drift.. Basically there is no way to  get a EUC into a passenger plane)

Edited by null
  • Like 3

My understanding is that it's not up to the airline - it's an international agreement set out by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) that dictates that li-ion batteries greater than 100Wh cannot be transported in passenger aircraft (that includes checked baggage and carry-on). They can be transported as commercial freight (i.e. in a cargo-only plane) but under strict guidelines of no more than 30% charge state. Any li-ion batteries that are damaged or defective cannot be shipped by air, without exception - the only legal method is by surface (ship, train etc.) and I believe that special packaging is required for this. So in short, you're not going to take your wheel with you when you fly - your only option is to ship the wheel (or at least just the batteries) ahead of you by another method.

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/cargo/dgr/lithium-batteries/

• Like 3

100wh per battery but I think you are allowed to carry alot of them. The batteries need to be carried on and not checked in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

100wh per battery but I think you are allowed to carry alot of them. The batteries need to be carried on and not checked in.

So basically ....

fugetaboutit.png

Can't fly with a wheel(commercial), need to ship the wheel to the destination or find a local resource to rent/borrow a wheel from...

Unless you are flying on a private plane, then you can bring whatever want (at your own risk LOL).

2 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

So basically ....

fugetaboutit.png

There’s a video I saw of a EUC powered by 5ah 18v power tool batteries in series. The person specifically wanted to travel with with their wheel.

Another way of keep wheeling elsewhere is buy and store the wheel at where you will be going often. I have a V10F purchased and store Singapore. Storage fee is usd100/year. I go there once a year and I have my own wheel to use. Likewise, another one in China. Pretty soon, one in South Korea; another one in Malaysia...  Is this an expensive solution? Depends on how you look at it. I was in Paris costed me usd80/day. I was there for 20 days, that costed me $1600, literally a wheel. A month...wow... minus well have my own wheel!:efee78d764:

Edited by scubadragosan
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
10 hours ago, Yeshwanth Akurathi said:

Can't we just take the EUC without any batteries and ship the batteries? Is this not allowed too?

Probably, but why wouldnt you just ship the entire euc instead of opening it to remove batteries youll need reinstall?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Probably, but why wouldnt you just ship the entire euc instead of opening it to remove batteries youll need reinstall?

It might be better in many cases where we have to pay customs duty when shipping goods. If I ship a 2000 dollars euc to India(in my case), it will cost somewhere about 1500-2000 dollars for the import taxes and customs charges. But instead if I can make someone carry the wheel without the batteries and import just the batteries, the total taxes might just around 200 dollars.

Also the shipping costs would also be much cheaper to ship 2 batteries than a whole wheel. I agree that if this difference is not much to you and there are no import duties then you may as well ship the whole wheel!!

Edited by Yeshwanth Akurathi
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yeshwanth Akurathi said:

It might be better in many cases where we have to pay customs duty when shipping goods. If I ship a 2000 dollars to India in my case it will cost somewhere about 1500-2000 dollars for the import taxes and stuff. But instead if I can make someone carry the wheel without the batteries, import duties might just cost 200 dollars.

Also the shipping costs would also be much cheaper. I agree that if this difference is not much to you and there are no import duties then you may as well ship the whole wheel!!

Ah, legalities..  Yeah, I would just assume the value of a pack of batteries would be about the same DECLARED value as a "used and for parts" euc. I am a total idiot when it comes to taxes and duties. I also assume that the value I declare is meaningless, should an insurace claim arise. Sounds to me like it would be cost effective to leave an euc in the country you plan to visit regularly. $2000 buy a brand new euc and posibly two of them. I mean crap man, how much is a 14" used euc really worth? Maybe forget the euc and fly a jet pack around when yuo are in India?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

There might be restrictions on lithium batteries as air freight because of safety concerns.

Size of EUC battery packs might be too much of a potential hazard.

How comfortable would a person be on a flight with his EUC in the cargo hold.......especially if it's a Gotway...

Some airlines like Air France don’t allow EUCs in checked baggage EVEN if the batteries have been removed. The only option is buy and sell local at your destination. Also in Paris, I have never had luck renting an EUC either… too many liabilities for the rental company.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, gon2fast said:

Unless you are flying on a private plane, then you can bring whatever want (at your own risk LOL).

I was talking to a private pilot about my EUC. He got all excited about flying with one vs. a folding bicycle he was currently using. I pointed out the folding bicycle was far less likely to turn into a bomb than the EUC. He was a lot less excited after thinking about that for a bit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Weird Lobo said:

It is ultimately up to the PIC (Pilot In Command)  as to what and who will get to be on "Their" aircraft.

I seriously doubt that it is up to the pilots judgement whether dangerous goods should be taken on board on a passenger plane. There are plenty of regulations freeing the pilot from that kind of decisions.