Why do wheels "cut out?"

Yellowjacket

It seems "cut out" is a much-feared and not uncommon danger on some EUCs. Why?

Is it not possible to design software / firmware / board hardware such that a wheel would remain stable while ramping speed down to a few kilometers per hour? (Assuming no total board failure).

Is our sport so small that this kind of safety feature is not worth the effort by manufacturers? Would the compromises in performance be so great as to make a "ramp down" unacceptable? Is the need to have the wheel "turn off" in some circumstances logically incoherent with a "ramp down" feature?

Will the "engineers" help my understanding?

You mean CUT-OUT = sudently lost power = Hardware fail or bad mainterrance. Some type ultrasafe EUC what is double bufered mean price over 10 000 eur/dollar if ouy want keep range and weight curent EUCS in early 2021.

More often is just Overlean = rider simply push EUC over maximal possible "power" and is no more energy/power to keep ballance. 

• Like 3

electronics can fail, its inevitable. Batteries can fail, its inevitable. Quality is very dependant on choice of parts. Companies make compromises to reach certain price points. Until the market is willing to pay out the nose, we will continue to see failures more often than if we were to be riding on more expensive vehicles with less compromises in quality. A BIG step in that direction, would be to patron a company with a responsibility to the customer and being held liable for failures. The EUC chinese market doesnt have those worries.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

40 minutes ago, Chriull said:

The wheel does not turn off in the case of an overlean - it just does not accelerate anymore enough to keep the forward leaning rider balanced. In "high acceleration" scenarious this just feels like a cut out.

It's all about a "torque equality". A rider forward inflicts the torque in one rotational direction. Balancing of an EUC works by the motor generating a torque in the counterdirection by acceleration. So the pedals stay straight.

If the EUC "overaccelerates" the pedal tilt up, if the EUC can't accelerate (provide enough torque) enough one tilts/falls forward...

Easy, isn't it? ;)

So a wheel "cut out" is just a matter of rider error? Asking for more than the wheel has available? And there is always a warning when this condition is immanent? Thank you for your explanation.

17 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

So a wheel "cut out" is just a matter of rider error?

Normally yes. Then it's an overlean.

Of course "real cut outs" with hardware can and do happen.

17 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

And there is always a warning when this condition is immanent?

Unfortionately no.

The GW 80% alarm is often/mostly a great warning.

The fixed speed tiltback of the other wheels does not warn/help from high accelerations at higher speeds.

KS has a a "newer" value - inverter load, whicg generates an 88% warning. That's a much more profound value used for warning but unfortionately much too late for higher accelerations.

Some dynamic use, sensefull and reliable warning is still missing fir EUCs.

Don't know why, but it seems 

1 hour ago, Yellowjacket said:

not worth the effort by manufacturers?

... :(

• Like 1

Then when I buy my next wheel (suspension, less than 20 kg, built with with quality control and customer in mind) I'd like the wheel to give awarning at 70 percent, another unambiguously at 80 percent, both values alterable by the rider.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

Then when I buy my next wheel (suspension, less than 20 kg, built with with quality control and customer in mind) I'd like the wheel to give awarning at 70 percent, another unambiguously at 80 percent, both values alterable by the rider.

If you EVER find such a machine, let us know... Most current wheels on the market work well with eucw so you can make your own user alarm settings to cater to your riding style. I view 'cutouts' as a hardwre failure. Either rider induced by riding beyond the limits of the circuit and causing fail, or by merely bad parts. "overlean" is usually NOT an equipement failure, it is simply when a rider is asking more power than the batteries can provide. "overlean" is rarely a fault of the hardware, as EVERY piece of equipment has a design limitation, and overleans are simply exceeding them.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

Suspension & less than 20kg means you might be waiting a while. In the meantime you should try the alarms on the phone app EUC World. It has all sorts of alarms you can set. 

• Like 2

Take with a grain of salt It's been like a million years since my electronics classes, but it was my understanding that Power = Voltage*Current

84 volt battery system would have to draw on more current to equal the power of a 100 volt system.  Theoretically they could be a very similar experience if the 84 volt system was rated for high current rates.

I think the big advantage of 100 volt system is it requires less current for equal power in comparison to an 84 volt system making it more efficient, but the downsides are it requires more cells in parallel to up the voltage, would require more cells for same capacity if I'm not mistaken.

@AtlasP Thank you:efeec46606: Half of writing it down is to understand it better myself. I don't envy the manufacturers having to deal with this as well as the real world behavior of all the (cheap;)) electronics.

24 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Take with a grain of salt It's been like a million years since my electronics classes, but it was my understanding that Power = Voltage*Current

84 volt battery system would have to draw on more current to equal the power of a 100 volt system.  Theoretically they could be a very similar experience if the 84 volt system was rated for high current rates.

I think the big advantage of 100 volt system is it requires less current for equal power in comparison to an 84 volt system making it more efficient, but the downsides are it requires more cells in parallel to up the voltage, would require more cells for same capacity if I'm not mistaken.

The motor's max speed is directly proportional to the voltage. A 100V wheel can be literally 20% faster than a 84V wheel with the same motor (24s to 20s is 20% more). Your 80% alarm speed would always be 20% higher, so you do get the speedup in reality.

It certainly helps that, for a given power draw, the current is lower on a high voltage wheel. That can also help if one of the warnings or firmware limitations is at a fixed maximum current.

But you can be literally faster on a higher voltage.

Not sure what you mean by capacity, but a cell has a certain capacity (in Wh), no matter how the battery is configured. Same number of cells = same battery size. A higher voltage means you have less flexibility in making different battery sizes, because for example you have to go in multiples of 24 cells (100V) instead of 20 cells (84V).

And you could argue, for the same battery size, more serial cells (higher voltage) could mean less parallel cells, so less current possible and a higher voltage drop. But in terms of power draw, the higher voltage balances that out. And in reality, they usually just make the batteries 20% bigger in 100V wheels compared to 84V wheels, for example the V11 (84V, 1500Wh) and Begode 100V 1800Wh wheels are both 4p, so same current and voltage drop.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@AtlasP Thank you:efeec46606: Half of writing it down is to understand it better myself. I don't envy the manufacturers having to deal with this as well as the real world behavior of all the (cheap;)) electronics.

The motor's max speed is directly proportional to the voltage. A 100V wheel can be literally 20% faster than a 84V wheel with the same motor (24s to 20s is 20% more). Your 80% alarm speed would always be 20% higher, so you do get the speedup in reality.

It certainly helps that, for a given power draw, the current is lower on a high voltage wheel. That can also help if one of the warnings or firmware limitations is at a fixed maximum current.

But you can be literally faster on a higher voltage.

Not sure what you mean by capacity, but a cell has a certain capacity (in Wh), no matter how the battery is configured. Same number of cells = same battery size. A higher voltage means you have less flexibility in making different battery sizes, because for example you have to go in multiples of 24 cells (100V) instead of 20 cells (84V).

And you could argue, for the same battery size, more serial cells (higher voltage) could mean less parallel cells, so less current possible and a higher voltage drop. But in terms of power draw, the higher voltage balances that out. And in reality, they usually just make the batteries 20% bigger in 100V wheels compared to 84V wheels, for example the V11 (84V, 1500Wh) and Begode 100V 1800Wh wheels are both 4p, so same current and voltage drop.

I thought power is power and did not matter the voltage.  P=V*i

so if your motor needs 2000 watts with 84 volts that would be almost 34 amps

on 100 volt system it only requires 20 amps to feed 2000 watts

Now there may be a max amperage output in cells used for euc to make it 20% faster, I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Suspension & less than 20kg means you might be waiting a while. In the meantime you should try the alarms on the phone app EUC World. It has all sorts of alarms you can set. 

I believe you are right, given the push to ever more powerful / faster wheels. But I think manufacturers are missing a market.

I live part time on a boat which involves lifting my wheel with one hand up and over a saltwater gap between boat and dock. 14 kilos is easy, 20 kilos is doable. Even when not on the boat, lifting a 20 kilo wheel out from behind the driver's seat of my car is doable, but much more than that with one hand and I'm risking fit and finish on wheel and car.

My two year-old InMotion V8 is capable of about 30 kph, and weighs about 14 kilos. Here's the thing: for the riding I do, 40 kph would be plenty. I don't need nor want to do 50 kph — 60 kph on bike paths, city streets, and certainly not off-road. I also don't need to do 50 kilometers between charges. So, it does not seem much of a stretch that my V8 could be improved to do 40 kilometers per hour if it weighed 6 kilo more, spread between motor, batteries and suspension.

Suspension? Trail riding, curb jumping, pothole absorbing — it's good for safety, comfort and wheel longevity.

So, I agree, I'll be waiting a while, but not because of any technical issues. I think a light, well-made suspension wheel of 20 kilos capable of 40 kph and 40 kilometers of range would find a great market. Of race cars it's said you can build a car that has speed, a low price and longevity — pick two out of three. By limiting speed and range, I think such a wheel would be great fun and affordable.

Thanks @Tawpie and @Yellowjacket I just needed a nudge to get my thick head to grasp it!  Very interesting point on EMF I will have to look more into that.  I used to work on electronic boards a looooong time ago and know just enough to be dangerous.   Mostly low to mid voltage stuffs and no motors in my equipment.  I could not noodle how 100v was so much better than 84 volts, but that makes sense based on the laws of power.