Wondering in term of distance perception how do you feel about certain distance comparing before and after owing a wheel?

Tony Whereisone

I'm about to get a new 16x as my first ever wheel within few days, never felt so excited buying something like this before. I'm a photographer and usually walk around 20km a day when going out taking photos (I don't like the action of walking but I do like to go out and shoot), until I saw a guy who was on an EUC a week ago I knew it right away I have to get one. There are just so many places I've wished I can go but never knew how to because I don't own a car and my type of photography is more of a stop and shoot during the walk rather than going to one specific location. So I'm wondering in term of distance perception how do you feel about certain distance comparing before and after owing a wheel? does going around the city suddenly became an easy thing for you? and in what way does riding EUC feels good to you? 

Would love to know all your opinion. 

• Like 1

Welcome, EUCs are great, you will be glad to go that way.

I walk a lot for exploration, the EUC extended that range by a lot: It allows to go where cars and public transport won't take you, but si much farther than by foot.. I discovered a _lot_ of places, and the whole city became "close" whereas before my fast transport was through dodgy public system.

It is also a very enjoyable ride due to the very organic / natural whole body control. Its the same type of feeling that makes people do skiing skating and surfing. Good stuff.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

I haven't really used my EUC for destination travels, mostly just up and down paths so I never really paid much attention to distance. I'm pretty sure it would make things feel so much closer, similar to when I was running marathons. Years ago, when I was a couch potato, a mile felt like an incredible distance. At some point after my first few marathons though, it hardly felt worth it to go out for "only" a 5 mile run. Perception of distance really does change when you start going further.

Edited by Dgar
  • Like 1

Its a definite eye opener for sure. Even when riding my mten, I am constantly surprised at how I travel all over small towns and run out of places to really explore. On foot, the ole bones bitch after about 2-3 miles. On even the smallest euc, the miles just tick away. Best and worst part of it all.... exploring so many places so easily, means finding new places... An euc makes me feel somewhat like a ghost. The ultimate freedom to just pop up quietly just about anywhere. Meager legal enforcement and the way it somehow reads my mind... love it! For taking pictures and exploring with ease... you can't beat a small wheel. With camera gear, you may find need for a trolley.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Distance compression on an EUC is very real. Distances that would take over an hour on foot or even 30 minutes by casual bicycling become short, under-15-minute trips, while you still experience the journey as if you were on foot or on a bicycle (and not like being inside a car or bus). I now experience "across town" as if it were just a few blocks away.

• Like 3

I've seen alot of new local areas that I would never have seen without an EUC because of time constraints. A trip that can be a few hours is now just under an hour. 

I got to experience Red Rock scenic loop in Las Vegas out in the open air rather than be stuck in a car.

Now any distance walking is almost too slow lol. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tony Whereisone said:

Guys I just got my 16X yesterday and it was ABSOLUTELY THE BEST THING I EVER BOUGH in many years. Took me around 15 minutes to get used to the wheel then I'm clicked. Had a 30km ride after midnight where there's no car on the road and it was just magical. I didn't know I can go as far and forget about the time passed (got back to my apartment at 3 in the morning). Thankfully my unicycle(the one that isn't electric) and skiing skills both comes to help when balancing my weight on the EUC. This is going to be a life hobby for sure. 

Good choice of wheel 16x has been my favourite,, your hooked now and its got good mileage👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Whereisone said:

Guys I just got my 16X yesterday and it was ABSOLUTELY THE BEST THING I EVER BOUGH in many years. Took me around 15 minutes to get used to the wheel then I'm clicked. Had a 30km ride after midnight where there's no car on the road and it was just magical. I didn't know I can go as far and forget about the time passed (got back to my apartment at 3 in the morning). Thankfully my unicycle(the one that isn't electric) and skiing skills both comes to help when balancing my weight on the EUC. This is going to be a life hobby for sure. 

Fastest learner ever. 15 minutes? Hell, I was still staring down at my pedals and pushing buttons at that time. Congrats for sure! The speed in which you figured it out, really is impressive. I guess its really hard to say how long it would take someone. I look forward to seeing you in the x-games next month! :clap3:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

@Tony Whereisone I am glad that you picked it up so fast. With that unicycle and skiing experience, you were born for this ... as they say. The 16X has been a great wheel for me. I am sure yours will give you miles of smiles. :) 

Now you will get to know your town (city) like never before, by exploring all the nooks and crannies like @GoGeorgeGo mentioned above.

Time to celebrate! :cheers: I hope you like this song as much as I do. I love the rhythm. :efeeec645d: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiGbH_D2S-A

• Like 1