Studded pedals safety?

shellac

So I am quite intrigued by the Nylonove pedals. They seem like they would give you awesome grip and remove some of the fear of slipping off the pedals with a deep carve or high speeds. They also look pretty cool. 

What is the experience here with these pedals and similar ones like the Hextech or Inmotion hex pedals in terms of safety? I’m worried about being able to step off at will. I know @Rehab1 had an accident attributable to spiked pedals. 

The nylonove have adjustable studs that go from 2 mm to 4 mm. Do you all think at the lowest setting these pedals can be dangerous in an accident by keeping you stuck to the pedals?

Just trying to gauge opinions on here before jumping in with a purchase. 

• Like 3

I use Murland's studded plates exclusively. I've never had an issue stepping off or even adjusting my foot placement, and his plates have even more studs than the Nylonove/Hextech pedals. It might be dependent on your footwear? I ride with Vans Sk8-Hi shoes, which have the waffle style sole, so maybe that form limits how much I can actually be locked onto the wheels. I've crashed a few times with them and I never felt stuck to the wheel, per say. What happened to Rehab, exactly?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Hey @shellac, my pedal spikes were a bit more aggressive. :wacko: You should be fine with the nylonove .

50703934491_064e69f330_b.jpg

@rexdelmolvo  My feet were literally stuck to my pedals when I hit a pothole. I now set off alarms at airports.;)

50703936971_b8e7263e5f_b.jpg

I am expecting to see you in anytime in next episode of Agent's of S. H. I. E. L. D. 

I never got to see on TV, so I am passing dark hours watching it on Disney+, waiting for more EUC friendly weather/season. 

• Like 2

As to answer OP, I can't really explain it but I will give it a try. 

The studded pedals I used are the IM hex pedals made with hextech (the Russian designer, as far as I know behind the original concept). 

On the IM hex pedals they have fixed cylinder stamped studs. The metal of the pedal is untreated besind painted black so that part is very slippery (I think it works in favour this way, but I will get to that. 

I have used this with different shoes. Both flat pattern soles like Van's but also trail trekking with winter boot-like soles. And Morrell shoes too. 

Now the slippery part hels to lock into the studds. So the sensation feedback let me know my shoes locked on the studds. I didn't thing the cylinder shape would work before testing. But they are surprisingly good. Since the studd surface is straight it holds you in place but can realese easy if you want to. I could see cone screw shaped spikes getting stuck in shoe soles (if I am right or not I can't tell for sure). 

At first I though adjustable studs would be a benafit. But now I am not so sure. If they are adjustable you either have a hole in the pedal structure that could add to a weal spot. The other part is you could push the studies into the socket easier going down a curb or doind hard off-roading style rides. I don't see the IM hex design suffer of these drawbacks. Now I SM not an aggressive rider or normally riding fast. But... 

I managed to push the V11 to using 30wh/km and that isn't an easy task. When I started out I were at 16wh/km but lately my average moved up to 19-20wh/km. 

So why this change? Because I feel connected but not locked into the pedals. I don't use sidepads to push the wheel. I use my feet 80-90% of the time time/force I apply. Mainly because I have faith/trust in my pedal connection or traction. 

Example of my shoes:

These pedals allow use of different shoes.

How the pedals look like:

Pedal angleNew Inmotion stuff and test rides.IMG_20201117_133835_864

I can't say how other designs work for sure. But I think after test the IM hex version that they lend dome ideas (and pay for that due to an agreement) but they tested if it worked or not. So from my point of view they thought about this yet it not entirely as I expected when I unboxed them. In practice I am very happy with these. 

I posted more in my review of the IM hex pedals and IM sidepads. 

Now I don't know what wheel you want to use these pedals on. But I hope this gave you some answers anyway. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I am expecting to see you in anytime in next episode of Agent's of S. H. I. E. L. D. 

Hey buddy...long time. Funny!

Since the cadaver bone implant my voice occasionally produces a puberty girly squeal . :facepalm: Does Agent’s recruit females?

• Like 1

YIKES! I hope you're doing well. Yup I agree that’s not going through TSA without some questions...

That’s bad ass, did you build the pads yourself? What did you use for the spikes? I’d love to make a couple of those. 

• Like 1

@Unventor That’s super helpful. I’m thinking to try them with my RS. Like you, I’m planning to keep it old school and no power pads, doing the @houseofjob wide stance thing. 

Are you able to easily adjust your feet while riding? If you can’t I imagine you’ll get foot fatigue. 

• Like 1

For the pedal I recently receive the inmotion foot rest and I install it to thw sherman. It work like a charm. I combine the pedal with a power pad and my foot stay without any issue. I clip the pedal on a trail with snow and no problem to go out, is like the traditionnel foot rest for the bail out. The foot dont have fatigue, and it can be adjust easily but with a weird feeling due of the stud.

Highly recommand it

Edited by Jappierre
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac said:

YIKES! I hope you're doing well.

I can forecast the weather like a pro.;) 

3 minutes ago, Mac said:

That’s bad ass, did you build the pads yourself? What did you use for the spikes? I’d love to make a couple of those.

Below are some photos but I don’t recommend them. Having a 50 pound wheel attached to your shoes while flying through the air can be problematic. 

Studs

50703471873_08f4b89520_b.jpg

50704206121_008df28d1c_b.jpg

50704292972_3102af6c78_b.jpg

50704209541_bdb25c932c_b.jpg

50704293877_758c3c1d21_b.jpg

50703471278_163912ac0a_b.jpg

50704324447_27a2af6ff5_b.jpg

• Like 2

Would it have made any difference if you used a shorter stud? 

I ordered Studded Super XtremeGrip Tape by GripAll. Ill see how it does before I move on to the heavy duty solution. I really need something in the snow. 

71Dlk6U4Y-L._SL1208_.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shellac said:

Are you able to easily adjust your feet while riding? If you can’t I imagine you’ll get foot fatigue. 

I thought it would be hard to shift feet position around. But it isn't as hard as I I expected. It is a bit different feeling to it but that is the hole point. Being connected and not locked to the pedal. 

This actually saved me from a nasty crash. It is explained in my review thread. I will find a link to it later while getting my medicine treatment at hospital. (starts in an hour or so). 

Link to my IM hex pedal and sidepads:

Edited by Unventor
Added link
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to demo studs without the financial commitment put these on your pedals instead of your footwear. 9USD, shipped (prime).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJHQSZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just took a set for a run in the snow and the difference is fantastic super good. Getting off is no problem, adjusting your feet requires you to raise your foot but no danger of your other foot slipping off. I got size M with size L on the way in case the Ms break from being too tight... but you want them tight so they don't slide around. They might not work with mud since they're only intended to shed snow and mud is likely to pack in, and they'll probably break tomorrow but it's a good way to see what studs feel like. Time will tell, but since a commercial studded solution is at present unobtainium for KS wheels it just might have to do.

My pedals are the XL pedals eWheels puts on the 16X/XS. Pics in the "Shoe Chains" thread.

Edited by Tawpie
clarity
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

All I really want to know is... who let the scientist out of the lab, and why is he touching the power tools?:wacko:

Because he is ‘Mad’. ;)

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 6:59 PM, Jappierre said:

For the pedal I recently receive the inmotion foot rest and I install it to thw sherman. It work like a charm. I combine the pedal with a power pad and my foot stay without any issue. I clip the pedal on a trail with snow and no problem to go out, is like the traditionnel foot rest for the bail out. The foot dont have fatigue, and it can be adjust easily but with a weird feeling due of the stud.

Highly recommand it

The Inmotion V11 Honeycombs fit on the Sherman? Sweet! I gotta get me some then. 

stud pedals: safer and more fun.  Go can go faster and you can make acrobatic stuff easier.  I was not paid or given any favours to say this. Its a little expensive but you will love em. If you get sand or snow on em no bloody problem you are still connected. Bloody brilliant imho 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Studded pedal alternative - 

Not my idea, saw it on another post, but I followed up and purchased the following: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GUEAUK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

size small - they fit on all my pedals, with not much givePXL_20210221_002949012.thumb.jpeg.c7c93fa700f0bbcb189d186f440d58a7.jpegPXL_20210221_000633176.thumb.jpeg.81a392180d3c881706c228281f86268d.jpeg 

I do Not consider these a performance solution.  I expect they will wear out very quickly. 

Before getting these, I had been riding in snow, and while dismounting, mounting - snow accumulated on the pedals.  It was very cold out, and that snow froze to ice.  On a mount, I just slipped right off the pedals in a really awkward way.  THAT is what I'd recommend this solution for - somewhere where spiked pedals are necessary while riding relatively slow.  I wouldn't want to hard brake and have these slip off the pedal due to the pressure applied.  That never happened to me, but on my trial, I was riding sub 20mph, and never did a really hard brake.  These did work however.

Edited by Ben Hatfield
  • Like 2

It almost seems that impaction is more the issue than grip? WOuld a hex pedal that allows the snow to fall thru, rather than build up, be a better solution for the snow riders? Im still waiting on some hex type studded for my wheel. I can only imagine it bing a neccessity for you northerners.

• Like 2

I found the version with fewer and shorter studs worked surprisingly well, and have been more durable than I expected. Of course, I swapped them out for studded grip tape cuz it’s a fun experiment. Heading back to the snow so will see how they work, but they’re supposed to “shed” the snow. Spring’s a comin’, so is mud. I’m hoping this saves me from buying hex pedals, the boot studs were 10USD a set, the studded grip tape 35. Fish pedals are 80 and hex pedals for the 16X (probably superior in all respects) are over 200! Think of all the unneeded flashlights I could buy with the difference.

094975E4-E52D-4E1F-9087-33C1B21D14A3 2.jpg

A note on the grip tape... if I stay with it, the next install will only cover the central part of the pedal (patterned more like the boot studs) and that may allow me to get two sets per strip. Much of this install never gets stepped on.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

It does a bit, the studs poke the shell/padding. I keep my 16x in a roll.nz so it doesn’t matter, but without the cover the studs leave dents in the pads. The pedal holding magnet doesn’t work as well either so I added magnets outside the shell and it’s better, but the pedals still drop down—I need better magnets.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2