V10F or KS16s?

Hi , I want to purchase my first EUC , but I don't know which one is better for me . I am 5'7 with 120lb. I don't have a car , but I live really close to downtown, so I want to buy one for me to go to college or go around.  I was thinking V10 or V8f , but many hills here (I live in SLC)so I give up these choices. Comparison to the riding comfort and the build quality. Which one is better for me ?Thank you

With the options: KS16S, V8 , V10. The best ride would be from the V10 and at your size I could actually feel comfortable recommending it. The toughest with the most available power would be the KS16s. You also have the MCM5v2. Realistically even though the MCM5 is 14 inch wheel. The tire is wide and thick giving a better ride than the KS16s. 

I would not recommend the InMotion wheels to heavier people. 
The KS16S can handle heavy people and is just super rugged. 
GotWay has made great wheels for me, yet others complain about them. (Many of the complainants are no longer deserved in my opinion) 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

Hi and welcome here.
The KS16S have a bit more oomph / safety margin / range with the larger battery, so if the weight difference isn't an issue I'd suggest that one.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

With the options: KS16S, V8 , V10. The best ride would be from the V10 and at your size I could actually feel comfortable recommending it. The toughest with the most available power would be the KS16s. You also have the MCM5v2. Realistically even though the MCM5 is 14 inch wheel. The tire is wide and thick giving a better ride than the KS16s. 

I would not recommend the InMotion wheels to heavier people. 
The KS16S can handle heavy people and is just super rugged. 
GotWay has made great wheels for me, yet others complain about them. (Many of the complainants are no longer deserved in my opinion) 

Is v10 enough for me ?I am thinking the v10 and v10f battery difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KBLADE said:

Is v10 enough for me ?I am thinking the v10 and v10f battery difference.

I would get as much battery as you can afford and willing to lift. My only complaint about the InMotion wheels is that they were designed for people under 150 pounds. They tend to be awesome for the smaller riders in this price category. I would recommend the KS16S or MCM5 to 150 pounds and up. I am 220 pounds so InMotion is not a wheel that I personally get for myself. The KS16 is a uniquely small package for the Amount of torque and battery size. ( same physical size as the V8)

I have been riding both V10F and KS16S for a year. Their performance is quite similar and it is basically a matter of personal preference which one to choose. Please also keep on mind it takes some time to get used to a wheel and feel fully comfortable with it. I prefer KS16S while my wife prefers V10F. I find KS16S a bit more agile, more "dancing", more "talking" to me (pads are closer to the ground, it has a thinner tire and the whole wheel is lighter by 3kg). My wife prefers V10F as she feels more stable on it.

• Like 1

I weigh 200lbs and like my 16s a lot. It accelerates me quite quickly even up fairly steep hills. As others have said, it's also very well built. I think both these wheels are fairly good for waterproofing though you can get a special protective cover for the V10f. I get a realistic max range of 20 miles but, with your weight and size, I'd suspect you'll get more. The V10F might have the edge in comfort with the wider tyre and larger pedals, I have size 10 feet and ended up getting some larger pedals on my 16s. The things that provide a little extra comfort on the V10F also make it less easy to turn. My favourite thing about the 16s is how easy it is to walk it into a cafe or shop and people think it's just unusual luggage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leofaggio said:

I have been riding both V10F and KS16S for a year. Their performance is quite similar and it is basically a matter of personal preference which one to choose. Please also keep on mind it takes some time to get used to a wheel and feel fully comfortable with it. I prefer KS16S while my wife prefers V10F. I find KS16S a bit more agile, more "dancing", more "talking" to me (pads are closer to the ground, it has a thinner tire and the whole wheel is lighter by 3kg). My wife prefers V10F as she feels more stable on it.

How about the speed ,the acceleration ,and Jill climbing?I saw many people said v10 can't not reach the highest speed all the time , but 16s can keep 22mph .

Specs are one aspect and not the proper metric for a first time rider IMO. You first have to learn how to ride, in that regard my opinion would be the Inmotion product. One of the things about EUC's is that the rider has to build not just capabilities but confidence. Confidence in the stability and characteristics of the platform goes a long way to enabling you to learn how to ride.

• Like 1

I disagree with the statement of the good build quality of the KS16S. It was my first commuter wheel and compared to the NB one S2 it is a pain. It is "rugged" as long as it ist assembled and You do not crash it. I tested stairs and offroading etc with it suffered a lot. I had to open it four times completely and just can say: it is definitely "Made in China - quality". Cheap plastic that breaks very soon, screws that are over-tighten without any thread and lots of "click" mounts that break. I hated every time working on it. Just do compare: I enjoy every minute working on my Z10, also the one S2 was better. My brother had an Inmotion V8, its quality was definetly better.

Talking about power delivery, I can only judge over the KingSong. It was very agile and powerful, better than the V8. But that does not count, because You will buy a second wheel, if You get used to it. So look at the one, that can take more falls: Inmotion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roadpower said:

Specs are one aspect and not the proper metric for a first time rider IMO. You first have to learn how to ride, in that regard my opinion would be the Inmotion product. One of the things about EUC's is that the rider has to build not just capabilities but confidence. Confidence in the stability and characteristics of the platform goes a long way to enabling you to learn how to ride.

Just I thought Ks16s also is a light wheel, similar to V8 and V10 , maybe that's not really difficult for a first time rider.

Riding comfort is largely different on the 16S and the V10(F). The 16S side “pads” are positioned very low, so just getting on the darn thing can hurt your calf. The V10(F) sidepads are located much much higher, giving you a lot more leverage for getting on or even riding one footed. Inmotion app also offers much more intricate settings for the wheel, and the range of pedal hardness adjustments is very wide, with 200 different settings. 16S has three.

For a taller guy the 16S is a small wheel, while the V10(F) is a medium sized wheel. The pedal size already supports this claim very well, the 16S pedals are tiny by today’s standards.

I have clocked 10000km on my 16S, and for most of it I did watch my friend riding his V10F with envy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KBLADE said:

Just I thought Ks16s also is a light wheel, similar to V8 and V10 , maybe that's not really difficult for a first time rider.

I believe that Inmotion products are better tuned for new riders in how the motor behaves. I think it is for this same reason that aggressive or seasoned riders don't prefer them. Or those people might be just so naturally adept that an aggressive wheel type just fits them better. These are all perfectly valid reasons once you understand that there is a wide range of capabilities, characteristics and desires among people.

• Like 1

Another vote for the V10F over the 16S--the V10F has more power (much bigger motor, bigger batteries, slightly higher top speed, 84v vs 67v), a *much* cushier ride (due to the pedal design and wider, 2.5" tire), and much better pedal clearance (the pedal clearance on the 16S is probably its single biggest weakness).

At your weight all three are perfectly adequate, so it really comes down to your budget and range needs.

Edited by AtlasP

Having never ridden a v10f i wont comment on that.The Ks 16s i have  3k on .As an allrounder it is fantastic.It is an older wheel with tried and true issues and quality sorted. With a roll.nz bodyguard it is virtually waterproof.Ive ridden it through the worst storms.I ride on the road and trail ride and it is gr8.The handle is great for wheeling it over doorways and into the office/school.The light is crap for night riding. Performance wise, it eats hills even with me as a bigger rider.It is a good wheel to practice skills on and i have ridden it 47 km max distance on one charge.So happy with this wheel and i intend to keep riding it even though i have a Sherman now! 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

My favourite thing about the 16s is how easy it is to walk it into a cafe or shop and people think it's just unusual luggage. 

As a 'last-mile' transport, the 16S tends to fly-under-the-radar. Slightly larger than 14" version; yet still fits under seats of buses and trains. I don't get a second look around or near stations/depots where lots of people are trolleying luggage. One of the last wheels designed with portability in mind. (Power and distance are the new priority.)

Edited by RayRay

10 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Having never ridden a v10f i wont comment on that.The Ks 16s i have  3k on .As an allrounder it is fantastic.It is an older wheel with tried and true issues and quality sorted. With a roll.nz bodyguard it is virtually waterproof.Ive ridden it through the worst storms.I ride on the road and trail ride and it is gr8.The handle is great for wheeling it over doorways and into the office/school.The light is crap for night riding. Performance wise, it eats hills even with me as a bigger rider.It is a good wheel to practice skills on and i have ridden it 47 km max distance on one charge.So happy with this wheel and i intend to keep riding it even though i have a Sherman now! 

For me, the first choice is v8f, but it seems v8f cannot handle hill easily. So I change my mind to choose ks16s or v10f. For me,  I need something can handle hill climbing, easy to carry and ~15 to 20 miles range. 

10 hours ago, KBLADE said:

For me, the first choice is v8f, but it seems v8f cannot handle hill easily. So I change my mind to choose ks16s or v10f. For me,  I need something can handle hill climbing, easy to carry and ~15 to 20 miles range. 

Not so sure the V8F couldn't handle hills well; (I imagine it performs similar to the 16S).

People are mostly familiar with the V8 and V10F (and 16S). Unlike the V10/V10F (which came out at the same time), the V8F was released more recently to address the need for more power.  However, the V8F could have used more batteries. The V10 (which was less popular than V10F because of battery capacity) costs about the same as V8F, but has more power and range. (The main advantage the V8F has over V10 is portability.)

Consider how important ease of carrying is to your decision. (Don't forget, you can trolley.) Also, consider that battery drain degrades ride performance and safety; (reducing effective range). The lighter V8F has the least range (due to fewer batteries). While the heavier V10 has better performance, but a little less range than 16S; (even though it holds more batteries). The V10 is cheaper than V10F because it uses cheaper batteries; but if you're trying to save money, then you have a hard choice to make.

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Not so sure the V8F couldn't handle hills well; (I imagine it performs similar to the 16S).

People are mostly familiar with the V8 and V10F (and 16S). Unlike the V10/V10F (which came out at the same time), the V8F was released more recently to address the need for more power.  However, the V8F could have used more batteries. The V10 (which was less popular than V10F because of battery capacity) costs about the same as V8F, but has more power and range. (The main advantage the V8F has over V10 is portability.)

Consider how important ease of carrying is to your decision. (Don't forget, you can trolley.) Also, consider that battery drain degrades ride performance and safety; (reducing effective range). The lighter V8F has the least range (due to fewer batteries). While the heavier V10 has better performance, but a little less range than 16S; (even though it holds more batteries). The V10 is cheaper than V10F because it uses cheaper batteries; but if you're trying to save money, then you have a hard choice to make.

I am an university student in SLC , the university is locate on a mountain; normally I need to walk around 30 mins; at least half of the time I need to climb hill. So I am not sure how much power  is better. 

The v8f is surely a fine wheel, but it is 1000w motor with 520Wh battery, the 16S has 1200w motor with 840Wh battery. I’d think the difference is enough to consider the second one to have more safety margin for hill climbing.

1 hour ago, KBLADE said:

I am an university student in SLC , the university is locate on a mountain; normally I need to walk around 30 mins; at least half of the time I need to climb hill. So I am not sure how much power  is better. 

It's hard to find anyone who has compared the 16S to the V8F. The 16S was popular when it came out because it was more powerful than the V8, but not much heavier (similar size). When V10/V10F came out, most preferred the V10F; (V10 used cheaper batteries to undercut 16S on price). By the time the V8F came out, the 16S was considered an older design (along with V8). However, since the original V8 was a true competitor to the 16S (and a classic), InMotion decided to upgrade the V8 as a cheaper alternative (versus V10).

2 hours ago, RayRay said:

It's hard to find anyone who has compared the 16S to the V8F. The 16S was popular when it came out because it was more powerful than the V8, but not much heavier (similar size). When V10/V10F came out, most preferred the V10F; (V10 used cheaper batteries to undercut 16S on price). By the time the V8F came out, the 16S was considered an older design (along with V8). However, since the original V8 was a true competitor to the 16S (and a classic), InMotion decided to upgrade the V8 as a cheaper alternative (versus V10).

I can completely understand what you mean. In my mind, I just need a portable and a EUC can handle the hill. That's why I try to ask for help to pick ks16s or v10f. (I found that I could get a v10F around 1300, and ks16s is 1250 in ewheel.com, almost same price).