EUC Shame..

Sonicninebot

@Sonicninebot , sorry you are dealing with offensive idiots, I'd advise you to smile, wheel past them, and make sure you stay safe: verbal assault can be come physical assault. 

@ToniG123 , never stop playing with toys! I know I won't!

I do hope that OP responds with the identity of the city: it is good to spread the word about receptive/aggressive communities. I am fortunate my little Pennsylvania, USA town is very receptive and tolerant, and police have felt no need to do anything further than smile and wave back at me. As with all shared-use roads/sidewalks/trails, I am sure give respect before I expect respect. I very slowly pass pedestrians with a wide berth and a gentle "coming around your left". I ensure that in roadways I stay close to the shoulder so cars can pass, and if I'm going to be in the way in an intersection, I dismount and wait.

From my biking experience, I know that there can be a very wide range of attitudes of motorists/pedestrians over a short distance. I found that San Antonio was downright dangerous for a cyclist with aggressive close passes, shouting from pedestrians, and even bottles thrown from pick-up trucks. And then 100 miles away in Austin it is a cyclist's paradise with lanes everywhere, high safety and tolerance, and plenty of work/recreation bike parking spaces and racks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you paint your Ninebot all black they'll think you're Batman.  If you're riding an all-black wheel it raises the mystery level so that it negates any thoughts of how much it must have cost and you will receive awe instead.  :D  One might wonder at what point I'm kidding and where I'm not.

In the old days when someone wore new shoes the other kids will want to step on them.  You don't really need to understand why this is.

1 hour ago, castShadow said:

If you paint your Ninebot all black they'll think you're Batman.  If you're riding an all-black wheel it raises the mystery level so that it negates any thoughts of how much it must have cost and you will receive awe instead.  :D  One might wonder at what point I'm kidding and where I'm not.

In the old days when someone wore new shoes the other kids will want to step on them.  You don't really need to understand why this is.

Yes @castShadow has a point there. Try to paint you bot in black or apply some dark vinyl wrapping. It would be more inconspicuous. Here is an example.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1857-dressing-up-my-e-for-the-coming-season/?do=findComment&comment=19772

5 hours ago, glorat said:

Cheating? Grown up playing with toys? Lazy?

Hell yeah! Those are exactly the reasons why I got my EUC. Life is too short not to have such rebellious fun.

Sorry for being OT but thinking of toys.I have a lot of them and I would never outgrow them. Here's a clip of me playing one of my toys. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyrlwSy7QkI

11 hours ago, BA-B8 said:

What I've found is if I'm riding around in a park area and trying tricks people love it and ask all sorts of questions.  When I'm riding around in public sidewalks with my arms down to the side the reactions are mixed.  Maybe if people see it as being effortless they'll assume we're just being lazy and if it looks like we're fighting for balance then it's something challenging and cool.  Some people don't look at the device that closely and assume we're just another teenage wannabe hoverboard rider.  Just the idea of it being a hoverboard  or hoverboard like seems makes folks angry because it's the latest viral xmas gift toy.

On 20.7.2015 klo, MarkoMarjamaa said:

I'll rather chase the WOW's. If I'm riding straight road, I tend to to get 'how lazy is that' comments. If I do some tricks at the same time, or talk to phone or eat ice cream I get the 'cool' comments. Yeah, I'm the dancing bear fishing for treats. Besides driving straight road has become boring.

( This forum  is too automatic. I cannot remove lines from quoted text to emphasize what I was actually answering to. And I cannot copy link to my post because it automatically changes the link to whole thread... )

1 hour ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

(I cannot remove lines from quoted text to emphasize what I was actually answering to. And I cannot copy link to my post because it automatically changes the link to whole thread... )

I struggle too sometimes, but the removing stuff from quotes works as you can see above. But I have not found a way to link to a specific post either...

18 minutes ago, Jag_Rip said:

I struggle too sometimes, but the removing stuff from quotes works as you can see above. But I have not found a way to link to a specific post either...

The latest forum update might have introduced some bugs to the quoting system... also the "quote"-button in the top-row of the message posting/editing controls is gone (you could "paint" text earlier and insert it into a quote box before).

You can get a link to a specific post from the upper right corner of the post, next to the checkbox (if you hover your mouse above the symbol, the tool tip will say "Share this post"):

m4Kugme.png

I've not had any negative comments, 2 wanted to know where I bought it etc, a few said "very cool" otherwise disinterest!  

But that was in 7 weeks [before the EUC BMS bombed 3 weeks ago!]

Waiting for a Ninebot One impatiently.

Today I had a "Stalker" follow me... they had neon-orange and reflective stripes on their car with flashlights on top, not very subtle :D:D Some people go far to get their 5 minutes of Fame. I didnt get stopped though, probably they wanted to measure my topspeed by following. :P

1 hour ago, Jag_Rip said:

Today I had a "Stalker" follow me... they had neon-orange and reflective stripes on their car with flashlights on top, not very subtle :D:D Some people go far to get their 5 minutes of Fame. I didnt get stopped though, probably they wanted to measure my topspeed by following. :P

This happens to me a lot. They are usually much more subtle though, they follow you to see what the hell you are riding and sometimes the speed. When they get close i usually confuse them with a question: wanna race? Most of the time they dont know what to say or they just get confused and say no :)

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

This happens to me a lot. They are usually much more subtle though, they follow you to see what the hell you are riding and sometimes the speed. When they get close i usually confuse them with a question: wanna race? Most of the time they dont know what to say or they just get confused and say no :)

Two rides ago I had an officer park in the parking lot I was practicing my figure eights in.  He stayed there for almost 1/2 hour watching me.  Never said a word, just watched.  Probably looking through his Law Books trying to find a reason to give me a ticket for something.

I had an officer stop me last night while i was on my inaugural P ride.  I had no headlights or taillights and was riding in the street after dark through my neighborhood.  He was in an unmarked car approaching me, stopped and called to me as I passed by.

He had seen me ride through the neighborhood before and was just really curious about what it was, how it worked, how much they cost, where to get them etc.  We chatted for a good 15 minutes, formally introduced ourselves (he lives in the neighborhood) and I offered to let him try out my E+ sometime if he's really curious about them.  It was a very pleasant experience from a curious neighbor.

I haven't had any negative reactions yet but have only been riding for a few weeks.

1 minute ago, SuperSport said:

Two rides ago I had an officer park in the parking lot I was practicing my figure eights in.  He stayed there for almost 1/2 hour watching me.  Never said a word, just watched.  Probably looking through his Law Books trying to find a reason to give me a ticket for something.

A while back I had a police SUV show up in the school parking lot where I trained.  When I saw him I was heading away from him.  I originally thought that maybe someone called them.  I didn't want it to look like I was trying to run away so I went over to him.  He just asked all the usual questions: What is it?  How does it work?  How much did it cost?  How fast does it go? (Before I answered he said "It looks like you were going pretty fast... like 6 or 7mph."  Ha!  I would have been going more like 11-13mph.)  It was around 11pm it ended with him saying "Have a good night."  I rode off, he watched for a bit and then drove off. 

Then on my new EU I was riding in my neighborhood and a cop went past me in the other lane.  He stopped at the stop sign but then I heard the clunk of him putting the car in park. I thought "Uh-oh".  But he just asked all the same questions.  And said it was "Cool" or something like that.

I guess while I am replying I will add the only two negative things I've got from people.  Once a lady one a bike was zooming by in the other direction and said "Nice bike!" with a bit of an attitude.  At that time I took it that she was implying only bikes are allowed on the bike trail (but they allow rollerblades, skateboards, etc.) but since there was very little time I just said "Thanks!".  I hoped it would aggravate her because it made it sound like I thought she was being sincere.  Later I thought she might have just been making fun of the EU because she didn't think it was very cool.  I've ridden past her after that but she doesn't say anything.

The only other negative thing was a finger gesture.  But probably not the one you are thinking.  A guy on a bike made a walking gesture with his fingers.  I took it he was trying to convey that I should be walking.  I barely glanced at him and kept riding.

Mostly I get the:  What is that?  Where'd you get that?  That's cool (or That's F...ing cool.).  But I think that many of the quiet ones are really fuming on the inside.  Because there are signs that say "No Motor Vehicles" (yes, I know it doesn't apply, but they probably don't know it).

9 minutes ago, SirGeraint said:

But I think that many of the quiet ones are really fuming on the inside.  Because there are signs that say "No Motor Vehicles" (yes, I know it doesn't apply, but they probably don't know it).

Honestly, I believe that's the main gripe and why the few negative comment's I'm getting too.  I'll just smile and wave from now on.

I unfortunately startled an elderly woman yesterday because she said it was so quiet she didn't hear me.  I did announce out loud I was passing on the left a couple times before I got to her, but I'm sure her hearing may not be perfect anymore.  I stopped to be sure she was ok, and she had a LOT of questions about it.  Thought it was "COOL", yes, her word.

Another group of 3 women asked me to turn around and come back.  They said they'd never seen anything like it and that I had made their day!  Awesome!  If I can do that once a day, I'll feel fulfilled.

I don't get it. Only friendly remarks and thumbs up when I am wheeling through Berlin (only parks and river side because it's forbidden on streets and sidewalks) :)

Ive experienced mostly positive remarks of various kind. Interesting fact is the very consistent difference in remarks when riding with and without music coming from the wheel. 

Without music : This is co cool!

with music : This is sick!

The rare negative remarks/ attitude has come from :

1 old ladies who didnt see you approaching and suddently you are there and the are scared you will run them over

2 people on sidewalk whose personal space you have violated by passing to close or cutting in front of them

2. Bicyclists in your lane who realize you are cooler and superir and dont want to admit it. They sometimes make nasty jestures or  sudden moves passing you by to cause you to lose balance

3. Mostly drunk guys who can try to make you lose balance just for the heck of it

4. Guys whose girlfriends next to them give you too much attention and are noticeably admiring you

most cops have been either indeferent or curious about the wheel. Only one time a cop in central park told me i cannot ride it.

I don't have an EUC yet and was considering getting an IPS Zero but probably going for a Gotway MCM4 now. Ok, I need to stay on topic!

I do have a 10-inch "hover"board though and ride it mostly in the big parks around Beijing, China. I've only gotten curious and positive comments but usually these are to their own friends etc. My favorite activity with the board is actually riding it and pushing my 13-month old son around in his stroller. He LOVES it and it makes something boring actually fun! Lots of parents who are walking their own strollers look on in amazement and many have said something along the lines of "wow, that's so nice/useful". Probably an image of themselves cruising while pushing stroller floating lighting up the bulb in the brain. :lol:

The funniest one I had was when I passed a couple and the girl went "wow" and told the guy next to her" You're buying me one of those". I couldn't hear the guy react but I bet he wasn't too pleased.

Riding an EUC or hoverboard is great fun and the positive vibes only reinforce the fun factor. I can't imagine where the OP is with such a recurring negative experience.

Z

Personnally, in Belgium (Brussels and surroundings) the remarks I had were mostly positive or neutral:
- How does he do ?
- How expansive is it ?
- What range/autonomy does it have ?
- Is it hard to ride ?
- Long silence and big eyes :blink:
However I had once a funny "shut up kids, don't mock disabled people" :D I also remark that people do not always trust my balance and prefer to keep away when they see me coming. Sometimes they even stop to wait I'm gone.

When riding on streets/cycling lanes, the cars behave like if I was on a bike. They try to overtake as soon as possible and sometimes they pass very near to me, which is not very friendly. So I often prefer going on sidewalks if there is no cycling lane.

1 hour ago, Roue Libre said:

When riding on streets/cycling lanes, the cars behave like if I was on a bike. They try to overtake as soon as possible and sometimes they pass very near to me, which is not very friendly. So I often prefer going on sidewalks if there is no cycling lane.

It remind me when I had one of the first CAM-AM Spyder in Europe back in 2008. Such vehicule was so unusual at that time that lot of car drivers on highway often tried to take photo with smartphone while overcoming, releasing their steering wheel. The cars made zigzag then. Very scary. This do not happen with EUC yet. Fortunately  :D

The proper response when someone says "that's cheating" or "that's too easy" or similar comment is to laugh.  You laugh because you understand that they don't know what it's all about and that they are feeling territorial about their own space and what they are doing.  You may also just be quiet and look at them smiling.  You see they felt the need to comment because their world has been turned upside-down.  You have to allow them the space and a few minutes to adjust to the new paradigm.  You laugh or smile so that they will understand they are on precarious ground and they are the ones very close to being in the wrong.  In a few seconds they will understand and will probably rethink their position or perhaps even go so far as to question their own motives.  It is they who has the issue not you.  He who protests too much (is the one in the wrong).  :D

Just be sure you yourself stay on the righteous path.  If you understand your own motivations and your purpose for riding then you will know how to respond to negativity.  Remember that pioneers and early adopters generally ignore doubters and naysayers and simply forge ahead.  You have a reason for looking forward.  You have purpose.

Oh and be generous.  True leaders are generous.  :)

If anyone walking by tells me it's cheating or too easy.  I won't just smile.  I'll say.. I'll give you 10 bucks if you can even stand on it for 10 seconds.  You owe me 10 if you can't.

8 minutes ago, BA-B8 said:

If anyone walking by tells me it's cheating or too easy.  I won't just smile.  I'll say.. I'll give you 10 bucks if you can even stand on it for 10 seconds.  You owe me 10 if you can't.

I'm going to find you and say it's too easy...  hehehe  I need lunch money... ;)

Archived