EUC Shame..

Sonicninebot

Kind of curious what reactions people get worldwide. I show people my ninebot one ( it's my euc of choice) and ride around the city and get some nice reactions from people.. But I get so, so, so,so, soooo many negative people commenting on my use of a ninebot one ( maybe jealousy?).. I honestly don't get it, I'd usually drive in a car ( sat on my butt for an hour in traffic).., but now I'm not siting, I'm working my core, balancing.. But for some reason people are super mean when I ride it, they scream and shout and curse at me... I don't underrated it.. I get rude remarks shouted at me all the time and people insult me as I ride along the city ( wow your so lazy!, what a loser!!...).. I really really don't understand it.. I cannot ride one time without someone trying to verbally attack me.... I don't get it...  it is physical, I'd challenge any of those people ( losers ) to try one.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont get it either. I never get such reaction except very rarely some nfriendly looks from jealous bicyclists . Normally people admire ewheel riders unless you get in their space, put them in danger or humiliate them

where are you located, how old are you? Whats your riding style and where do you ride? Do you engage with the people you are passing by? 

Those people who say that is lazy or something like that. I do, sometimes it is that I say .. Want to try the wonder which would be easier to walk, or run this :) Some of that moment to understand a little bit, and some who will try for yourself to understand more.

In Melb Aust, rather than abuse, all I tend to get are inquisitive responses....

"What is that?"

"Is it hard to balance on 1 wheel?"

"Wow man, thats cool, where did ya get it?"

Never once have I had any negative responses, yesterday before I had my flat, i had a cyclist catch up to me and ask question after question.....after a cpl of kms, he needed to turn off the path, but he was hooked, and he hadnt even ridden one.

Not too sure where Soni is riding but Id ignore them, maybe stick some headphones on and enjoy the ride....

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

where are you located, how old are you? Whats your riding style and where do you ride? Do you engage with the people you are passing by?

Also r u male or female ? (maybe some reactions came from Fu.... misogynist)

Very curious to know where are you located. Here in France never got such bad words -_-

Only one time I had a car full of idiots chase me when I rode down a sidewalk. They were obviously yelling about the unicycle, but they were being aggressive and intimidating, honking the horn and stuff. They followed me for maybe a couple hundred feet before they sped off. This was at like 1am, nobody else was around, and I felt like they were going to attack me.

Other than that, I've only heard positive things. Notably, one TSA agent at the airport looked at me and told me my EUC was gonna make me fat; but I told her it's quite a workout trying to stay balanced. After that she seemed genuinely interested.

Just from the negative attitude I would guess that you are riding your wheel in the UK?

In Hong Kong I usually get comments of amazement.  So far riding for 8 months I don't think I have ever heard a negative comment yet.

1 hour ago, csmyers said:

Only one time I had a car full of idiots chase me when I rode down a sidewalk. They were obviously yelling about the unicycle, but they were being aggressive and intimidating, honking the horn and stuff. They followed me for maybe a couple hundred feet before they sped off. This was at like 1am, nobody else was around, and I felt like they were going to attack me.

Other than that, I've only heard positive things. Notably, one TSA agent at the airport looked at me and told me my EUC was gonna make me fat; but I told her it's quite a workout trying to stay balanced. After that she seemed genuinely interested.

she should be, riding an EUC works the muscles in the behind quite intensively:rolleyes:

People are such ass-hats. I was riding it in a town where there was an ironman event going on and all I got was smiles from the cyclists and onlookers. People don't call you lazy when you're in a frickin' car and that's WAY lazier than learning how to balance on a unicycle and standing and balancing. Gimme a break people.

Most people like it, but Every Single Time I've ridden the local bike trail, someone yells out that it's cheating.  I inform them that it's still a workout, and they usually understand, but some don't.  For them, I don't really care, I think it's just jealousy.  Also, I have a young German Shepherd, so believe me, I get PLENTY of exercise!

11 hours ago, Sonicninebot said:

Kind of curious what reactions people get worldwide. I show people my ninebot one ( it's my euc of choice) and ride around the city and get some nice reactions from people.. But I get so, so, so,so, soooo many negative people commenting on my use of a ninebot one ( maybe jealousy?).. I honestly don't get it, I'd usually drive in a car ( sat on my butt for an hour in traffic).., but now I'm not siting, I'm working my core, balancing.. But for some reason people are super mean when I ride it, they scream and shout and curse at me... I don't underrated it.. I get rude remarks shouted at me all the time and people insult me as I ride along the city ( wow your so lazy!, what a loser!!...).. I really really don't understand it.. I cannot ride one time without someone trying to verbally attack me.... I don't get it...  it is physical, I'd challenge any of those people ( losers ) to try one.

Yeah most people have a good reaction. A minority make fun or say something. The easiest solution is to wear big cheap headphones. If people say something nice you can choose to acknowledge it. If they dont, you can ignore it. It's the best way I've found to deal with being so conspicuous riding EUs.

I am riding in The Netherlands. I commute every day, 5km round trip.

I never get negative response. Eight to ten year old boys have often shouted things like : ""That is cool sir!". Often, when cyclist want to overtake me, they ring first, which i don't mind at all. They may think that i could swerve at any moment ... even when seeing me going in a straight line.

One colleage said the the standing posture, with arms down beside the body just looks odd. I don't mind that, since i right for my pleasure, not someone elses .

20 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Most people like it, but Every Single Time I've ridden the local bike trail, someone yells out that it's cheating.  I inform them that it's still a workout, and they usually understand, but some don't.  For them, I don't really care, I think it's just jealousy.  Also, I have a young German Shepherd, so believe me, I get PLENTY of exercise!

It sounds like they seem to think "bike trail = exercise".  But it can also be "bike trail = fun".

2 minutes ago, SirGeraint said:

It sounds like they seem to think "bike trail = exercise".  But it can also be "bike trail = fun".

That's exactly what they think.  I like the scenery there, and that's the main reason I'm on it.  I feel like they think they are better than me because they exercise.  That stuff normally does not bother me, it's just when the women say it snotty (and yes, it's only been women that say it snotty)...  But again, like I say, I don't really care, I just think they must be unhappy with themselves to put judgement on me without knowing me or my situation.  Maybe they are walking the trail because they are unhappy at home?  I normally just smile and move on.

Ultimately, if you are doing everything right and you find that cant change the way people react to you, change the way you react to them. You know the real reason they say these things because they jealous, right? There is no need for you to justify yourself or prove something to them which they already know in their hearts. Just smile at them...a confident smile can be disarming,,..

What I've found is if I'm riding around in a park area and trying tricks people love it and ask all sorts of questions.  When I'm riding around in public sidewalks with my arms down to the side the reactions are mixed.  Maybe if people see it as being effortless they'll assume we're just being lazy and if it looks like we're fighting for balance then it's something challenging and cool.  Some people don't look at the device that closely and assume we're just another teenage wannabe hoverboard rider.  Just the idea of it being a hoverboard  or hoverboard like seems makes folks angry because it's the latest viral xmas gift toy.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

a confident smile can be disarming,,..

That's what I do mostly.  Used it 3 times today when I got the "That's Cheating" Comment (seems like they all get together and choose their favorite comment).

On the upside, just got back from a 10+ Mile ride on my new NB1E+.  My First ride on it.  Awesome Ride!  Feet hurt a little, but well worth it.

NB1E+.PNG

Up until today I've always had comments on the line of "hey! that's cool!!" but just a while ago I was riding along the bycicle lane and two mid-aged ladies were about to cross it, and seeing them, I went at my slowest possible (I can ride quite slow, slower than someone walking). They were in front of me about 10 meters away and they just stopped in the middle of the bycicle lane, looked at me as if they were rabbits in a bright light for a while and then one of them snapped "so grown up and playing with toys" trying to put shame on me and then kept on walking away. 

That was my first time receiving negative comments. I just steered away from them with a smile thinking that I might have just had an encounter with Mrs. Uptight and Mrs.Pedantic on their evening walk.

15 minutes ago, Alice said:

@SuperSport That map looks "hilly" what part of the country you live in?  I'm in the center, some hills but mostly flat.

Placerville, CA  It's between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe.  Yes, it's hilly here.  I'm in the Foothills of the Sierra Nevada's.

This is the exact reason I decided to get a NineBot One E+.  My TG F3 had some limits on some of these hills, not on that trail in the pic, but others.  It does that trail just fine.

Archived