InMotion V11

gon2fast

MRI scan was good, no structural damage in the hip. Feeling stronger. The V11 full time at a slower pace has been very forgiving to my injuries (easier than walking or driving currently). 

Still have extreme shock settings though LOL, but no bottoming out for a 245lb rider. 

Uppers - 125 psi

Lowers - 250 psi 

• 1 month later...

The motor kill button on this wheel is not to my liking. It takes a very specific pressure point to totally kill the motor, otherwise (most often) the engine engages if the wheel changes angle (sways) while the button is depressed.

My experience is the opposite.

It's impossible to lift the wheel without pressing the cutoff button.

I wanted to do a lift test some times and I had to disable the button before performing it.

I don't think it gets better than that. In the latest firmware you can activate the "no-load detect" option, which will stop the wheel from spinning regardless if the button is pressed or not (you can even disable the lift switch and it will still work)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

The motor kill button on this wheel is not to my liking. It takes a very specific pressure point to totally kill the motor, otherwise (most often) the engine engages if the wheel changes angle (sways) while the button is depressed.

I didn't notice any issue about this. What it does is that the button works only when you press it while not moving. If you try to lift it while walking next to it, it's likely to think you are riding and won't disable the motor. But as @Freestyler writes, the new option works great. The only question is what it does with jumps.

Edited by Zopper
  • Like 1

That has been my worry as well, so I did a crude test to find out.

I lifted the wheel and began spinning it. I enabled the no-load feature while the wheel was still spinning.

I then tried to break momentarily, as to simulate a jump with big air time and the wheel stopped.

In a realistic scenario the wheel might not cutoff, but if someone performs a huge jump with big air time and the wheel stays level, this might turn ugly!

I'm not the kind of guy to do huge jumps though. I don't think it will be a problem for riding down stairs though.

Edited by Freestyler

@Freestyler All right, I've decided to do a better test. With enabled no-load detection, I grabbed the wheel on the front and back, walked next to it and lifted it. When going slow, it managed a very short airtime before disengaging - so no problem with riding down stairs or stuff, but it would be bad for jumps. However, then I tried to run and lift it. Instead of disengaging, it began to speed up as we are accustomed and gave me angry beeping.

And then I made the mistake of not waiting one or two seconds more until it stops because of max speed and I put it down. :D I managed to keep hold on it, but it pulled me a bit along and now I have black lines in the hallway (tiles, luckily) and it smells of burned rubber. :D So jumping seems to be safe even with this option enabled. No-load detection seems to get disabled somewhere around 10-15 km/h.

(edit: I copied this post also to a standalone thread to save it for posterity.)

Edited by Zopper
  • Like 2

If you get enough air time and keep the wheel perfectly flat you might drop the speed enough enough for a disengage. You can even reverse the wheel mid-air which will most likely end very badly.

In any case, if you do stunts like these, I'm sure you'll keep the option disabled.

I noticed that when the wheel cutoffs due to speed, the wheel keeps spinning freely. (Like you discovered 😅)

In gotway wheels, the wheel immediately stops after a free spin test.

This is safer in an event of a true speed cutoff and I guess gotway had more real cases to optimize for it 😁, but still it would be nicer if the wheel stopped as well in the v11.

1 minute ago, Freestyler said:

If you get enough air time and keep the wheel perfectly flat you might drop the speed enough enough for a disengage. You can even reverse the wheel mid-air which will most likely end very badly.

In any case, if you do stunts like these, I'm sure you'll keep the option disabled.

Well, yes, but V11 is not the wheel for attempting a record jump distance anyway. And for "let's jump over this small cyclocross mound" it should be safe enough.

6 minutes ago, Freestyler said:

I noticed that when the wheel cutoffs due to speed, the wheel keeps spinning freely. (Like you discovered 😅)

In gotway wheels, the wheel immediately stops after a free spin test.

This is safer in an event of a true speed cutoff and I guess gotway had more real cases to optimize for it 😁, but still it would be nicer if the wheel stopped as well in the v11.

All Inmotion wheels behaves like this. My mistake was putting it down just BEFORE the motor disengaged. So it tried to rip my hands off... :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 1:24 AM, mrelwood said:

I have noticed differences in the lift button behavior in different units. Mine was overly sensitive at first, and my friend’s was not sensitive enough. In both cases just unscrewing the two screws that hold the button in place under the handle, taking the button out, making sure the spring and the button circuit board are in the correct position, and putting it all together solved the sensitivity issues. They both then worked like a dream.

Thank you. I looked at the unit yesterday and got stuck on what tool to use. Today it hit me that my small ratcheting screwdriver for installing door handles could work... wherever that is LOL.

• Like 1

Took off the button and re-attached. No change in behavior. Oh well, I can turn it off for the little lifting that I run into.

Interestingly I am running 210+ PSI in all four chambers. Loving it, no bottoming out, at the top of the travel most of the time. Feels great*.

* not a recommendation as it is out of dealer/vendor spec  

43 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Interestingly I am running 210+ PSI in all four chambers.

Wow. I guess you dislike a floaty feeling pretty adamantly... there must be very little suspension travel happening.

How did you end up trying such pressures?

First flat of 2021 . Replacement tube is still sitting on the workbench. Once the tire goes I will address it. Need to start looking at alternate tires as I would like something that lasts longer than the 1488.

flat1.jpg

flat2.jpg

• Like 1

Dang, just got rid of all of my boxes, totally would have taken you up on the offer last week LOL.

While breaking down the boxes I did find a near new skinny tire (1.95) for a 16", a V8 charger and some unused V8 pads. More than happy to ship them your way for inspection/storage.

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Dang, just got rid of all of my boxes, totally would have taken you up on the offer last week LOL.

While breaking down the boxes I did find a near new skinny tire (1.95) for a 16", a V8 charger and some unused V8 pads. More than happy to ship them your way for inspection/storage.

Pretty sure I can get a box over to you. I may even be so kind to pre-label it for shipping. YOu know, being the nice guy I am, and all. Thanks on the pads, but you keep 'em, its the least I could do.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:59 PM, mrelwood said:

Seems cozy. You move around a lot? :P

I have had the same lingering tube issue since I received the wheel last Summer. I am a stubborn idiot who will not install the new tube that has been sitting on my workbench for months LOL. I have 1400+ miles on the wheel so the CST is going to go fast and I will be forced to crack it open. Tube will go in then. Will clean up the opening in the rim as well (damage is on the valve from jagged edges).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought crashing over obstacles in my front yard was exclusive to my Sherman, NOPE. I rolled across my front lawn earlier when I returned from a lunch run and almost got taken out by a sprinkler cover. Later in the evening I was looking at the sprinkler and rolling over it to see if I could recreate the crime. Not so much, rolled over it several times without issue. The last time around I was looking back at the sprinkler cover, hit a scrap of wood and hit the floor. 

Body and wheel are fine, ego is a little bruised though (UPS guy saw the whole thing, plus me laying on the ground for 5 minutes LOL).

On a positive note, I have found that the V11 is my best wheel to use countersteering to lean into/around turns. Trying to use both feet in the same direction for hard turns was always awkward for me. The play in the suspension coupled with pedal height left me feeling unsecure to say the least. Pumping every chamber way past 200psi firmed it up, but the shocks are not built to continuously hold that much psi (bleeds out to a more manageable pressure after a good ride).

Have not ridden with the 4 upper saddle bolts for probably 1000 miles now, no issues and wheel is still silent. Not required (IMHO).

• Like 1

If you find yourself halfway between Santa Rosa and Sebastopol on the Joe Rogen* trail do not sit on this bench (it has every hostile Northern CA insect residing in it). Found out the hard way trying to make some work calls mid-ride LOL.

bugbench.jpg

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

As you know I ride a ridiculous amount of PSI in my V11. It seeps out eventually, but no seal damage so far. The benefit of riding 250b/200t is that most of the travel goes away and you have an extremely tight suspension solution. Basically half the slop in the suspension is gone. I can go as fast as I want over grass fields without worry. I can transition curbs at speed with a nice tight bounce that is very predictable. Finally, tonight I was visiting the two Llama's that live in my neighborhood (random, I know LOL). I propped the V11 up on the kickstand so I could take a picture. Rode the remainder of the short trail which has a few big dips. Cut across 3 sports fields (grass) and did some street riding to the local grocery store. Once I arrived at the store and started to trolley around I realized that I had the kickstand down the entire ride from when I left the Llamas. I figured that I hit something that may have pushed the kickstand up, but no, it was still in the locked position. The suspension with high psi was so efficient that the stand did not hit ground over off-road terrain and parking lot entrances.

I have left the kickstand down in the past and was alerted right away LOL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel and bike of choice today!

image.jpg

Interesting to compare the difference in suspension preferences between the two (super tight for the EUC/super loose for the MTB).

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1