InMotion V11

gon2fast

44psi is far too much for my personal preference. I set the tire around 35psi and had a horrible time with turning and wobbles, but acceleration was improved. 

30-32psi works good for me. (250-275lbs)

On a different front, I tried lowering the pressure in the lower chamber from 170psi to 150psi. Not a fan, felt very sluggish. Slower rebound was good for curb drops though. 

Going back to 170psi. 

Need to get confirmation on max psi for top chambers. I am currently stopping at 50psi.

Will try 32 psi on tire. Try 170 bottom and 80-85 on the top chamber if too much try a little less. I am convinced that 50 psi on top chamber is not enough and will be too bouncy.

I am going with 160 bottom and 80 on the top and fine tune top chambers, lowering a little amount if needed.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 11:06 PM, Skywalker said:

Will try 32 psi on tire. Try 170 bottom and 80-85 on the top chamber if too much try a little less. I am convinced that 50 psi on top chamber is not enough and will be too bouncy.

I am going with 160 bottom and 80 on the top and fine tune top chambers, lowering a little amount if needed.

What is the pressure limit for the upper chamber? I thought it maxed at 50psi... 

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

What is the pressure limit for the upper chamber? I thought it maxed at 50psi... 

50 psi was just a blanket recommendation from IM. Haven’t heard of a maximum. I have found 50% (45-55%) of the main chamber to be ideal. Lower than that and small bumps are harder and the suspension is bouncy, higher than that and the suspension travel gets shorter.

My optimal is currently 165/85 for 108kg (~240lbs?) geared up.

• Like 2

Thank you Mrelwood!

Went adjust the upper chambers up to 90PSI and found that I have another flat tire, lol.

Applied more Slime and put a fresh valve core in. I have a replacement tube (but looking for a work around until the weekend). Seems to be holding pressure so far.

No pressure loss in my upper chambers after at least a week of riding 

Top chambers are easily accessible without removing the saddle(s) with the right pump (at least this morning it was, lol).

spump2.PNG

• Like 1

First crash tonight  - 

I was heading to hardware store after dark and had a slight mishap with concrete/gravel transfer. This was probably karma catching up to me concerning my torque comments, lol.

I hit a dirt embankment that connects to one of the sections of the path I was traveling on and everything went wrong. I did not have a phone on me at the time so I do not know my exact speed,  but I assume that I was accelerating from a lower speed as I had just crossed a busy intersection (10-15mph). As soon as I transferred from concrete to gravel the wheel washed out hard to the left which blew my left foot off of the pedal.

Needless to say this all happened very fast and by the time I realized that I was in trouble I was still cruising forward with left foot hanging off the side of my wheel. I jumped off using the foot that was still on the right pedal and was able to clear the wheel and run out the bail. 

First thing I checked post bail/crash - nobody saw the crash_CHECK

Second check - injuries_none, good leap, lol

3rd check - wheel_Wheel tipped over on right side in dirt and ended up further down the concrete. Upon initial inspection the unit was still powered on, but the pedals appeared to be in tiltback mode. I cycled the power and the pedals returned to default position. The upper portion of the right front end was well covered in dirt. I did have some scraping to the outer edge of the right pedal as well as the hanger. Very impressed with the durability. 

Root Cause (Assumed)

assume that when I transferred to the loose gravel the wheel lost traction for a moment. When I lost traction I also lost footing on the left pedal as the wheel turned with the unexpected pressure from a single foot (at moderate speed) and coupled with whatever my body was doing to stay upright/launch off. 

I went back and reviewed the tire tracks. There is a curve to the left right after hitting the dirt which adds up. Interestingly there was a good amount of straight tire mark post curve so I probably could have rode it out if both of my feet were on the pedals.

user error for sure, lol.

Edited by gon2fast
doh!

Good that you weren’t hurt! Gravel can be a ditch. My first EUC crash with (a little) bodily damage was a puddle of wet gravel on a small construction section of a dirt bicycle path. My 16S turned to the left in an instant, and my attempt to run it out didn’t pan out for more than a few steps.

Placed an order on my first 18” wheel in a few days...

• Like 1

Upon inspection this morning I found additional cosmetic damage to the panel that covers the wheel and the side of the light housing. Wheel is still running like a champ and I am quite impressed how well it took a crash at moderate speed.

roadrash1.PNG

I was leaving the market tonight and was approached by a gentleman and his two young daughters. One of the little ones questioned what I was riding to her father. The father's response made me think of Unventor's quest - "It is a one wheel car"

Edited by gon2fast
DOH!
  • Like 1

The "T-spinner" and large socket make removing/installing the suspension, pedals-hangers and components a breeze.

Concerning the bolts right above the pedals - a 4mm allen socket (by hand) tremendously speeds up removing/installing those bolts.

v11tools.PNG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Was having fun cruising a path near my house and on my way back home I got a horrible bee sting to the throat (while at 20mph)... but I did not crash! Watch out for bees, lol. 

This is why I like my TSG pass helmet as no beers or hornets can enter an air vent or open visual area as long I have the visor down. 

My neck/throat area is a difficult area in summertime though. 

• Like 1

Any suggestions for suspension noise (specific type of oil)? Seems like the V11 has come alive after adding more than 50psi up top, but squeaking has followed with improved performance. Could be a consequence of my larger frame...

Current State -

V11 - Primary utility wheel

MSP-T - Primary off-road and travel/trunk(local) wheel

Monster - for sale

V8/G3 - donated

EX - somewhere lost in transit, LOL

17 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Any suggestions for suspension noise (specific type of oil)? Seems like the V11 has come alive after adding more than 50psi up top, but squeaking has followed with improved performance.

First I would try to confirm where exactly the squeak is coming from. The sliding mechanism has a very slight amount of play (it has to fit it to move freely), which could also squeak. Or the pedals themselves, as the top plate is separate and not necessarily very tightly bolted on.

Other parts can be oiled freely with Perry much any oil, but do not let oil get inside the suspension through the valves! What you need in there is a very specific kind of suspension lubricant. (Not even shock oil.)