InMotion V11

gon2fast

I have a big vibration near the right pedal at low speeds (sporadically). Not riding the wheel until I can resolve whatever that vibration is. Ran diagnostics in the application and everything came back healthy. I do have a warning icon on the speedometer, if you tap it it takes you to the diagnostic page which does not help my case. I will take it apart again in a few days. 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Are you sure that your saddles are on the correct side though?

I do not make contact with the extended piece during normal riding. I installed them for being able to add some support when leaning up steep trails. It aids with being able to torque like powerpads, but they also keep my feet secure on the pedals. 

Side note, the stand works very well the H666. No set it down, turn my back and hear a boom since changing the tire. 

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

I have a big vibration near the right pedal at low speeds (sporadically).

Can you feel it or hear it? Do you sense a bit of play in the pedals between lightly braking and accelerating?

I will take it apart again in a few days.

Before you do, I suggest brainstorming with us first. If it was something obvious that you’d catch by disassembling, you’d probably have seen it when assembling the wheel. After all, the actual cause might not require disassembly after all.

I I installed them for being able to add some support when leaning up steep trails. It aids with being able to torque like powerpads

Right. One tip though. Commercial powerpads have the front support waaay more forward than you do, since in order to lean up a steep incline you need to get your hip in front of the wheel as well. And usually with the knees bent a bit too. Neither of them seem possible with your current positioning. Maybe think about moving them forward a few inches?

On 4/30/2022 at 11:58 PM, mrelwood said:

Maybe think about moving them forward a few inches?

They are in the ideal position for a tall rider like myself. Because I carry a lot of mass on my torso I do not like leaning over the wheel when climbing. The position of the hooks allows to push by extending my shins which allows my torso to stay upright and not be bent over the front of the wheel. Good for me, probably bad for others LOL.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:58 PM, mrelwood said:

If it was something obvious that you’d catch by disassembling, you’d probably have seen it when assembling the wheel. After all, the actual cause might not require disassembly after all.

Keep in mind that there have been month long pauses while waiting for parts and what not. Every time I come back to the V11 I am a bit lost  so it is actually a good thing to re-check my work. It is not a big deal to access the boards and motor bolts. It took me about an hour from start to finish (including stripping one of the pedal assembly bolts and figuring out how to remove it). I did find that one of the bolts that secure the posts that secure the boards was not tightened all of teh way. resolved that and validated  that the motor bolts were snug. Put it back together and still have the same issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq1nygxxvvwlaz9/IMG_5662.MOV?dl=0

Basically, if the wheel is at an angle there is very pronounced vibration when shifting forward and back. The lower the angle of the wheel the more aggressive the vibration gets. The video above shows that at a certain point the wheel loses its ability to self balance (the wheel stayed on and reset itself so maybe it was the tilt protection that affected the self balancing?). This happened when I did the initial test ride post lower board replacement a month or two back (riding very slowly I made a turn and the unit fell on its face). 

3 hours ago, gon2fast said:

The position of the hooks allows to push by extending my shins which allows my torso to stay upright and not be bent over the front of the wheel.

Ah, sounds like they are in a perfect place then! They just deceivingly looked off, to another tall rider.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq1nygxxvvwlaz9/IMG_5662.MOV?dl=0

Basically, if the wheel is at an angle there is very pronounced vibration when shifting forward and back.

Thanks for the video, it really does say a lot!

You seem to have already checked the most common culprits, board screws and motor bolts. How about, are you having a lot of play in the suspension mechanism, if you just quickly and gently push the handle front to back? That’s the next thing that comes to my mind, and a common source for excessive play.

The video above shows that at a certain point the wheel loses its ability to self balance

Yes, that is by design on all wheels, they disengage the motor at around 45• tilt in any direction. But it definitely shouldn’t be reachable by riding and turning on flat ground!

Have you executed the horizontal (“forwarding”) calibration for your new board? Sounds like it could be pretty badly off. At least it’s an easy try before you do any disassembly.

59 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Have you executed the horizontal (“forwarding”) calibration for your new board?

I have not and will try that next. Thanks much!

Suspension is tight so hopefully the calibration will help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I have not and will try that next. Thanks much!

Suspension is tight so hopefully the calibration will help.

Another thing I always do after changing components is the motor self adjustment. It’s in the same calibration menu, just follow the app’s instructions closely.

Ran the calibration(s) several times and still have the vibration when the wheel is tilted. Out of ideas currently. 

Forgot to mention, the “forwarding” calibration must be done while the wheel is resting on it’s integrated stand. Otherwise it won’t do anything. Did you know this already?

I thought that had I run all calibrations (multiple times), but I do not recall a "forwarding" calibration. I will go back and double check. Thanks!

I just checked, on the latest Inmotion app version you can tap to see the guides on how to perform the two different calibrations. “Turning forward lean calibration” is performed while on the stand, “Balancing angle calibration” is done while fully horizontal (left-right & front-back) and holding the “spin-kill button”.

Great addition!

15 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

No success. Still getting violent shakes when the wheel is at an angle. 

This is tricky, none of the common fixes seem to affect the issue. The one that’s left is a faulty board.

Btw, does the issue present itself when tilted to both left and right?

The issue is present when tilting on both sides. The unit has a new lower board, but the original upper board. Should I look to swap both units (then go through the nightmare of getting them activated LOL)?

6 hours ago, gon2fast said:

The issue is present when tilting on both sides. The unit has a new lower board, but the original upper board. Should I look to swap both units (then go through the nightmare of getting them activated LOL)?

Oh, did you try a firmware update? If the top mainboard and the lower driver board have different versions of the firmware, all kinds of dangerous issues may arise.

I did a firmware update to sync the boards when I installed the new lower board a while back. The app is prompting me about a new firmware, but when I went through the features I already had them all so I did not do it. The upper board was uninstalled for 3 months and recently put back in.. could I have issues if the mess of wires between the boards are smashed in wrong?

IIRC the connectors on the boards can only be inserted the right way. Excluding the battery charging and monitoring connections of course, as they are identical. But having them the wrong way around can’t cause an issue like yours.

But if the app suggests a firmware upgrade, you probably need to do it. The feature lists on firmwares are never complete, or even very precise.

Now this is getting even worse!

Try holding down the power button for 30 seconds. It should power off fully instead if the regular “sleep mode“ that we all normally use.

I was able to turn it off with a long depression of the power button. Ran the update 2 more times and both failed. Upon powering it on for the third time it stated that the update was successful. I ran diagnostics and everything came back healthy and it is self balancing again. After all of that it still has the vibration LOL. I assume that it is the board(s) as I was able to do the V12 test without issue yesterday. Fun times.