EUC Stands

Urban Wheeler

Hey Wheelers, I create this post to talk about stands for our wheel, because I understand its not that easy to get one even though i know of one or two companies or individuals that makes them,,, and the problem i've notice is that they are not always available in every country. I'm from Montreal Canada and there is no shipment in my country from EUC Army to get one so I had to improvise. I found an ajustable bike stand that does the job and I will post a pic of it. Please feel free to throw in your idea of a stand.

Spoiler

Edited by Urban Wheeler
Didn't know how to add a picture

A lot of UK riders use guitar stands.  You have to be a little careful that the stand is strong enough to take the weight (you don't see many 25kg guitars :D) but they do work.

A couple of UK sellers are 3D printing stands and selling them, for me personally I laser-cut a stand at my local hackspace/makerspace and use that.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Black Crow stands--I love the option for an integrated charger holder, so much cleaner to have everything self-contained into a single unit (wheel + charger brick) with a single cable going straight to the wall.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

A piece of wood works great as a side stand.

k16x1.jpg

image doesnt work for mine. But yeah, I simple 18" 2x4 or nothing is all it takes for my mten. It leans on one hanger just fine. But, boys and their toys ya know?! I have ZERO intention of selling stands. Profit margins too tight and doesnt sound like much fun. Not to mention, I'm sure the standards are higher than I care to bother. I used makeshift wood stands forever. Im going to keep one actually, as its nice to have my 18 supported by the tire sometimes. Catch 22... store it with weight on the tire and you get bobbles. Store it suspended, and it run like an ape if you turn it on. Kind of a pain to not be able to turn them on and pair them until AFTER they are leaning on my leg or falling over. First world problems!

What material are you making your out of @RockyTop? Looks like a very dialed in setup, great work for sure!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

http://www.bracky.net/images/16x1.jpg[/img]

Fixed link from above.  Can merge.

I love the block of wood idea as a travel kickstand. Simple and multi purpose. It could be used for a small survival fire or a weapon or a place holder or a flotation device for you keys. The uses could be limitless. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

What material are you making your out of @RockyTop? Looks like a very dialed in setup, great work for sure!

Thanks,  It is eSun PLA+ 

PLA in general is very strong. (Ridged with a high tensile strength) The biggest downfall of most PLA is temperature and long term deformation. Over the years many companies have improved on both. The PLA + or Pro lines usually offer a much better product. Unfortunately how they are improved is not a common thing. While some are stronger in one way they are weaker in others.  eSun PLA + is not as ridged or strong in some ways as other PLA+ but it works well for stands. Compared to most PLA+ it is more rubber like, resists deformation and resists heat better. As a stand a block of hard tire rubber is good. Keep in mind this is compared to other plastics. In short it is as close to ABS as you can get without the added difficulties. 

• Like 1

I'm just using the styrofoam that came in the box.  It's not pretty, but it does the trick.  Not something you'd want on display but great if you're just putting it in a closet or something.

Edited by WebDev

if u can put something unobtrusive on wheel u are way ahead cuz ur stand follows u. there r many very cool stands made by wheelers but they arent much good when u r waiting inline at the bank or grocery store. 3d printing a custom add on piece is the most elegant solution to the problem... many designs are already available on thingverse. but u need access to a printer!

64416B8C-ED69-4DDD-9D6A-61B2519448AA.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, macrhino said:

Comments? 

Very interesting idea. I imagine it only makes sense if both of the following are true:

1. As you said, person has the space. (Combination of the size/configuration of one's space but also how many wheels they own. ;-) )
  2. Person stores the wheel somewhere where they can immediately ride to/from, like in a home garage that opens to the street. (Conversely if they have to trolley or carry the wheel first before getting to ground/riding level, like in an apartment building in a city, they'll have to fold the pedals up anyway.)
    • (In general these two go hand in hand--the types of living situations like in an apartment building requiring trollying/carrying through elevators/stairs also tend to have less storage space.)

But provided those are both true for somebody, then it looks like a solid idea. Congrats on what looks like a new idea to me/I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it that way before.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 7:11 PM, macrhino said:

So I built this stand for a Kingsong KS18L. One simply rolls the wheel into the stand. The wheel can be on or off, it is immaterial. I also frequently leave the handle extended. No problem. 

Cool! I always like new solutions to problems. :thumbup:  It reminds me of the pay to use mall grocery cart return. 

On 9/4/2020 at 10:29 PM, AtlasP said:

Very interesting idea. I imagine it only makes sense if both of the following are true:

1. As you said, person has the space. (Combination of the size/configuration of one's space but also how many wheels they own. ;-) )
  2. Person stores the wheel somewhere where they can immediately ride to/from, like in a home garage that opens to the street. (Conversely if they have to trolley or carry the wheel first before getting to ground/riding level, like in an apartment building in a city, they'll have to fold the pedals up anyway.)
    • (In general these two go hand in hand--the types of living situations like in an apartment building requiring trollying/carrying through elevators/stairs also tend to have less storage space.)

But provided those are both true for somebody, then it looks like a solid idea. Congrats on what looks like a new idea to me/I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it that way before.

Thanks, I have-not seen this as well. "You saw it here first.(TM)" LOL.

Yes, correct on both counts. I have an outside workshop which has a ramp to go in. It is at the end of my driveway so it is very easy to drive in. But for people who keep their wheel in the garage this should work well. I am testing it right now to see how much I can cut it down and keep it stable, 

I have a V11 on pre-order and will redesign around that when I receive it,.

This took a couple of hours if one has a place and tools to work on wood. 

Ok, Here is the second iteration of the open pedal stand for the Kingsong. It is a much better design as it is smaller and the EUC never touches the support poles. 

I will build in charger stations next. The unit is not yet painted. 

image.png

image.png