Uniwheel - The first UK EUC

Tom

49 minutes ago, Adrian Stevens said:

@Paddylaz Wow, I've just had to explain to my 12 year "young child" what narcissistic means.

It's a real shame you didn't introduce yourself as Toby and I (Father) would have happily chatted with you as we did to lots of people at the Uniwheel launch.  That way you needn't have misquoted me from an "earwigged" conversation. When I said we'd tried a few wheels, you may have seen the big sarcastic grin on my face. Additionally, we have never even been near a Ninebot as we've never had the opportunity, I mention this to qualify the inaccuracy of your quote.
Toby took a considerable amount of encouragement to even have a go on the Uniwheel because of the number of people at the launch. I can assure you when he did have a go it was not attention seeking, it was merely a 12 year old child having fun doing something he's good at with some new friends.
Toby and I applied for tickets to the launch like everyone one else there. I took holiday and we travelled to the launch at our own expense for no other reason than we thought it would be fun. 
Apologies if this seems like a rant, it isn't supposed to. I am merely somewhat miffed at my son being linked to "attention seeking narcissism".

I stand by my post. Im not sure what professional relationship you have with Airwheel (actually, this would be a great opportunity to elaborate on what role they pay you for - it's the only thing you DIDNT mention in your post) but no, there was no sarcastic smile. It was a completely non jokey conversation I overheard you having. I appreciate your need for 'damage control' here but I tell it like it is. I have no commercial/social media/investment in eucs. I use this forum because I enjoy them. In other words, I have ZERO motivation or compulsion to construct/support any sort of 'agenda.'

ps. That opening bit in your post about 'explaining to my 12 year child what narcissistic means.' No you didn't. You completely made that anecdote up - using your child as leverage in an attempt to give some emotional traction and legitimacy to your silly post.

?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the opening bit was suggesting this 12 year old went onto this forum to find your post and has been accused of behaving in a narcissistic manner in the event and he had to ask dad what that meant. FWIW, based on your post, his behavior didn't seem that way and I wonder if you still want to stand by that part of the post with the accusee potentially watching. (The rest seems merely your stating your observations, which you can stand by)

@Paddylaz No need to say what @Adrian Stevens did or didn't do, or how he felt. You said earlier that your experience at the launch could have been affected by your bad mood going into it, so maybe that's how you remember it too. If you feel the need to continue this conversation please take it to a private message.

Please, let's tone it down a bit.

2 hours ago, Colestien said:

Ok, I'm an old guy here... someone summarize please.  It looked good?  Weight ok?  Too small a battery??  Or small in size but good output?  Is it a contender?  Are we going to see a Three way EUC Brand Stand (see what I did there?)  

It's testosterone James, (but not) as we know it from when we were younger:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

I stand by my post. Im not sure what professional relationship you have with Airwheel (actually, this would be a great opportunity to elaborate on what role they pay you for - it's the only thing you DIDNT mention in your post) but no, there was no sarcastic smile. It was a completely non jokey conversation I overheard you having. I appreciate your need for 'damage control' here but I tell it like it is. I have no commercial/social media/investment in eucs. I use this forum because I enjoy them. In other words, I have ZERO motivation or compulsion to construct/support any sort of 'agenda.'

ps. That opening bit in your post about 'explaining to my 12 year child what narcissistic means.' No you didn't. You completely made that anecdote up - using your child as leverage in an attempt to give some emotional traction and legitimacy to your silly post.

?

@Paddylaz I can assure you that is exactly what my son said to me. I do not need to make up anecdotes for your benefit or to legitimise my post. Or are you claiming to have been earwigging that conversation too. 

Carry on misquoting and justifying posts to yourself  but everything I have put in my posts is 100% accurate. No damage control this end.

i hope I'm allowed to have my say and defend myself @csmyers @Keith ?

@Adrian Stevens,

Which bit of taking this into a private conversation didn't you understands?

I come to this post to find out about, what looks to me to be, a real promising development, so, if your son did actually get to ride the Uniwheel how about him actually contributing positively to this discussion by telling us of his experience and impressions of the Uniwheel.

32 minutes ago, Roue Libre said:

From their website
"On one fully charged battery pack the Uniwheel can go for up to 11 km or 6.8 miles. "

... :D ....

I had a chance to ride my generic X3 with 170wh pack at the park last night. It went to 2 out of 4 indicators at 12.5 km when we finished while my Gotway's still show full light indicators.

5 hours ago, Keith said:

@Adrian Stevens,

Which bit of taking this into a private conversation didn't you understands?

Why should he need or want to, if he responds to a public post? EDIT: in particular as the post was about himself. 

11 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

To avoid WW3?

Come again? EDIT: unless you were joking, of course. And don't hesitate to take this into a private conversation if you desire...

21 minutes ago, glorat said:

Seriously thought... is this Uniwheel any good? Have folks tried it? There's at least one experienced 12 year old who has and his dad is here... I'd love to hear a review.

Already in hand, trouble is it's a little like homework if you're 12. Hopefully will post something this evening.

Anything specific people would like to know?

On 12/10/2015 at 9:59 PM, Kevin Rongione said:

And I may be of 'intermediate skill', but I am still practicing and will always try to push the boundaries of what EUC's can do, please see the following video link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EeeTbhJBhc

...contemplating how I should take posting a vid link with tricks as response to being part of "a meaningless exercise of attention-seeking narcissism" :P

3 hours ago, glorat said:

Seriously thought... is this Uniwheel any good? Have folks tried it? There's at least one experienced 12 year old who has and his dad is here... I'd love to hear a review.

First off, here’s a bit of background.

Currently Toby rides an Airwheel X3 and I ride an X8. The size and weight of the X3 suits Toby as it’s small and relatively light, Toby is 1.4 metres tall and weighs about 35 kg, I’m about 1.8 metres and about 75 kg. We have ridden more than a few EUCs, those mentioned previously, the airwheel Q series, Gotway Msuper and M10 and an IPS 122. We have no experience of King Song or Ninebots.

Toby is significantly more accomplished at riding a EUC than I am.

Listed below are our feelings (written by me and aided by Toby) about the Uniwheel. We rode the Uniwheel both inside on the carpeted test area and outside on the concrete.

LOOKS

We both liked the look of the wheel but you can all make your mind up about this from the pictures available on the internet.

BUILD QUALITY

The use of triton for the shell appears a really good choice (there is a video on youtube demonstrating its toughness). All cases looked to be manufactured to a high standard and the fit was really good.

RIDEABILITY

The Uniwheel was very comfortable for both of us due to the shape of the casings. It is very slim, lightweight and has quite a narrow tyre. This made it really manoeuvrable and agile. Despite it having a bigger wheel than an X3, the Uniwheel didn’t feel bigger. From experience, a 16” wheel is significantly less manoeuvrable than a 14”.

In the limited space and darkness, the wheel seemed to accelerate well and predictably. (We have no need for a 35mph EUC, for us it’s about the journey and not how quick we get there). Toby was jumping of a 2 foot high bench and spinning backwards in the relative darkness (he was wearing a helmet!!) and had very little problem. We both felt the software was set a little “washy” and raised this with the Uniwheel reps. We were advised it has been set soft and there would be the option of reducing the “washiness”. Even with the soft settings, the Uniwheel was really nice to ride.

FEATURES

Lights - these are a great feature. They were powerful and the wheel worked out your direction of travel and made the front light white. The lights could be turned off if you wished. The lights can also been seen from the sides although I’d probably stick some reflective tape on the sides of the case as well. We really liked this as we ride in the dark a lot and clag all sort of things to us so that we are visible.

Footpegs - plenty of grip, the recessed grip tape gave good feel and inspired significantly more confidence than metal pegs.

Manual Handling - liked the fact the wheel can be picked up and carried up steps without the need to turn it off

Batteries – although relatively small in comparison with some EUCs these are entirely adequate for our antics and the distances we travel (about the size of our current wheels). When we commute anywhere we take a charger which is plugged in while we have a cuppa. With a Uniwheel we could carry a battery rather than scrounging electricity.

In conclusion, we went along for an evening out that we thought would be fun. By the time we left we were really sold on the Uniwheel. Hope this helps.

12 hours ago, Jurgen said:

It's testosterone James, (but not) as we know it from when we were younger:rolleyes:

Thank you @Adrian Stevens  for the info.  It is good to have more info to work with.  There are quite a few of us older folk here.  There was even a long thread talking about why us older guys seem to be into this sport.  Money keeps coming to the top.  This might be true, but not being REALLY well off I need to shop and compare.  Info like you give will help me decide on my next Wheel.

My first and foremost question is always...What have they done different to keep the Wheel from cutting out?  The trend has been bigger batteries.  This isn't bad, but I don't feel it is "THE" answer.  Just had a flashback..... "If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem"  hate to say I don't have a solution, just hoping someone does.

Nice to have your opinion Adrian, unfortunately Toby, with his skills and relatively light weight is able to get performance out of any wheel even an X3 so isn't really relevant to those of us who weigh over 90kg. 

It does amuse me though to see everyone saying how they would be happy to pay more for a well designed well thought out wheel with better safety but then when someone tries to give them what they are asking for they moan about the high price.

The batteries are definately on the small side but if they are different and if they perform as promised and give you good safe performance when at under half charge then it will definately help on both the weight savings and the recharge time.

Archived