Hazards for an EUC *Advice to new riders*

panda

I have been commuting to work and back Monday to Friday on my IPS 132for about 5 months and believe I have seen my fair share of things you may need to look out for. Ever since the clarification in UK laws, I have restricted myself to the pavement (sidewalk).

Today after nearly getting run over by a turning Black Cab (on a crossing without lights), I have decided to pen a post detailing the dangers you may be exposed to as an electric unicyclist.

In order of least dangerous to most dangerous:

1.       Uneven pavement (sidewalk) & potholes. These are easily avoidable and pose minimal danger.

2.       Tree roots growing under pavements (sidewalks). I decided to have this in a separate point because more often than not, they are difficult to spot at night. If you are not going dead slow, you may find yourself losing control of your EUC if you do not react in time.

3.       Low hanging plants/objects. While paying attention to the ground in front of you, you need to keep an eye out for these. A little slap on your face and you will become distracted and may even lose balance. This is particularly important when near other people.

4.       People walking in a large group/crowd. It is not the people you can see that you need to be careful of, but the ones you cannot see. Crowds tend to block sight of children running around; and from experience, children have no sense of fear. Best Option: Slow down to walking pace.

5.       Women. Don’t scream sexism at me until you read the next point. Men are more dangerous than women! Men AND women have a tendency to expect you to move out of the way, however they are more likely to behave like a deer in front of a headlight which makes them more predictable. Best Option: Go around, giving plenty of room.

6.       Men. These creatures not only expect you to move, not slow down, but also walk in an erratic manner when faced with the horrors of someone on a single wheel. They are also the only creatures that will shout at you. Best Option: Slow down / stop.

7.       2-3 people walking in a line. Once they are in this particular configuration, they will cease to notice other people’s presence. This is both frustrating and dangerous because they will more often than not walk into you. Even if you stop to let them pass, the people on the side will very likely continue to walk into you. Best Option: Find an immovable object to hide behind.

8.       People with a hot drink in their hand. To be honest I’m not sure why this is the case, but when someone have a hot drink in their hand…they seem to tunnel vision. What I mean by this is that even they are aware of your presence, they will continue to walk in the most selfish manner. For example, walking in the middle of the pavement(sidewalk) such that no one can get past them. They behave like the King/Queen of the pavement. Best Option: Wait for them to get out of your way.

9.       Cyclists. Yes, it may not be legal yet for EUCs to be used in the UK; but if you are they are going to fine people on EUCs, they might as well start fining cyclists for running red lights, riding on pavements(sidewalks) and even cycling in the wrong direction. Under UK law, a cyclist is considered as a vehicle (same classification as a car). Best Option: Treat them all with extreme prejudice.

10.   Vehicles turning without signalling. Yes, this includes CYCLISTS. As a result of some unknown phenomenon, people on a vehicle seem to believe they do not need to signal. Last time I checked, it was an offense to not signal. Cyclists can claim it is difficult to control their bicycle with one hand, but cars/larger vehicles have no excuse. Best Option: Stop and assess the roads if you are not familiar with them.

Note: The black cab would have had plenty of time to see me crossing, since he was stationary when I started to cross. However not only did he fail to use his signals, he did not even slow down when I was in front of him. I had to dodge his car and was only about a foot away.

panda,

Interesting list.  Might I suggest one more - especially over here (across the pond).   People Texting or On A Cell Phone (the younger they are the less likely they are to notice you and the more likely it will be your fault for riding into them, whether or not you have the right of way). 

I am not sure if this should be classified behind "people with a hot drink in their hand" or "vehicles turning without signaling" - I'll let you make the call.

Cheers,

Jim  

Another one missing: little dogs.

Yes......LITTLE dogs. I've ridden by/past numerous Alsatians, Rottweilers (!), Huskies, Labradors etc. They usually react with bored indifference.

But for some reason the little ones (chihuaha, jack Russell, cockapoo etc etc) go crazy and run alongside and in front of. Aka just ASKING to be run over.

Be on the lookout! ?

Great points Panda, JFP9, P&J, and Paddy,

Im now getting comfortable riding short 2-3km distances around Melbourne CBD, but am always on the lookout for potentual hazads, people, dogs, kids, holes etc.

Im still pretty new to this, so at this stage Im only riding as fast as I can "runout" if something happens...Have had the odd occasion to be watched by interested police on duty as well, I notice them and just roll along quietly at walking pace to let them see that

1. Im not a danger to others, and

2. Obeying traffic laws, waiting at lights etc

I see the whole Regulation thing with EUC's as a "common sense" approach. They are so new that police and others atm are viewing them in my town at least as a "novelty" thing, but they still want to see that you are in control of it, and also going at safe speeds, keeping accidents and mishaps to a minimum..

Great list @panda! Compared to other parts of the world, I think drivers in London are particularly aggressive & are of the 'devil may care' sort. One of the worst is the situations is when they turn-left, merging onto a road or coming out of a drive-way. In most cases they don't brake until it would be too late, or even bother to look left for oncoming cycle, pedestrian traffic. 

During the two years of riding around London never had an accident, but the number of times a car would do something silly was too many to contemplate... 

14 hours ago, SlowMo said:

It's a cool idea, but they give you a bit of tunnel vision and they do make you quite dizzy after a while when moving. I bought a pair some years ago and can confirm that they work quite well, but tunnel vision and takes some getting used to! The rayban ones blocks out maybe 10 % of your field of view per side, 20 % reduction in total... Though you can see on the outside of the glasses I at least would consider them a bit dangerous to drive with, however cool they are.. You might be able to get used to it and compensate by changing the way you look around in traffic, but I never took the time due to dizziness and ugliness (they are quite small in size)

On the subject of Mirrors, I saw a Video the other day and both guys were wearing gloves that had a small (50mm) wide angle type mirror on the back of one glove, so you could just hold out your hand and see if anything was coming up behind them. I don't know how practical they would be but it might be worth a try they would only be a couple of dollars at an auto shop and us velcro to attach them.

3 hours ago, Phil Howell said:

On the subject of Mirrors, I saw a Video the other day and both guys were wearing gloves that had a small (50mm) wide angle type mirror on the back of one glove, so you could just hold out your hand and see if anything was coming up behind them. I don't know how practical they would be but it might be worth a try they would only be a couple of dollars at an auto shop and us velcro to attach them.

This seems to be a very good idea specially for people who don't wear glasses.

Nice list. What about overconfidence? We are our own worst enemy at times. We should know the limit of our skill and the limit of our wheel. Pain is a humbling experience. Learn the basics of riding till it becomes muscle memory. 

I'm just babbling, so take it with a grain of salt. ;) 

Larger cracks in the pavement that are parallel to the wheel seem to be pretty dangerous. I haven't had one make me fall off yet but I've had some that catch my wheel and make it hard to rebalance, but the same crack going perpendicular to my wheel is no problem.

Archived