Electric Unicyclist Top Annoyances

dmethvin

As I've been riding I've been collecting a list of annoying things that I'd love to see changed. 

Lack of curb cuts: There are still some areas around here that don't have curb cuts, so I have to get off, move the wheel over or down the curb, then re-mount. Maybe one day I'll perfect the curb jump, but missing it can be risky and embarrassing on a busy street.

Uneven and broken sidewalks: Around here most sidewalks are concrete with expansion joints. Over time, the joints move up or down creating either a bump up or a ramp off into space. Some of them are pretty big, and I wiped out on one of them. On top of that, sometimes sidewalk breaks are poorly patched with gravel or asphalt. Not a fun ride.

Low-hanging tree limbs: Being whacked in the head by a tree branch at high speed is not fun at all. If it's coming from above I generally squat down to avoid it. Otherwise I use my arm to push it aside or try to move left or right if possible.

Spread-out pedestrian groups: Dave's Law: "Pedestrians traveling together expand to fill the available sidewalk width." Since the wheel is so silent, I often come up on pedestrian groups that don't know I'm behind them. If someone was walking behind them they would at least hear footsteps.

Drivers that don't yield: Even though I ride on the sidewalks and cross at the crosswalk, drivers are sometimes confused about whether they should yield at an intersection. I try to make eye contact and wave thanks. Usually the novelty is enough that they stop to look, but I am always watching out for the "right turn on red" people who think they don't need to stop.

As I've been riding I've been collecting a list of annoying things that I'd love to see changed. 

Lack of curb cuts: There are still some areas around here that don't have curb cuts, so I have to get off, move the wheel over or down the curb, then re-mount. Maybe one day I'll perfect the curb jump, but missing it can be risky and embarrassing on a busy street.

Uneven and broken sidewalks: Around here most sidewalks are concrete with expansion joints. Over time, the joints move up or down creating either a bump up or a ramp off into space. Some of them are pretty big, and I wiped out on one of them. On top of that, sometimes sidewalk breaks are poorly patched with gravel or asphalt. Not a fun ride.

Low-hanging tree limbs: Being whacked in the head by a tree branch at high speed is not fun at all. If it's coming from above I generally squat down to avoid it. Otherwise I use my arm to push it aside or try to move left or right if possible.

Spread-out pedestrian groups: Dave's Law: "Pedestrians traveling together expand to fill the available sidewalk width." Since the wheel is so silent, I often come up on pedestrian groups that don't know I'm behind them. If someone was walking behind them they would at least hear footsteps.

Drivers that don't yield: Even though I ride on the sidewalks and cross at the crosswalk, drivers are sometimes confused about whether they should yield at an intersection. I try to make eye contact and wave thanks. Usually the novelty is enough that they stop to look, but I am always watching out for the "right turn on red" people who think they don't need to stop.

well put!! I agree with all of these!! I'm constantly looking for the next curb ramp to get off and on to and from each sidewalk! I don't have the confidence or skill to hop onto curbs although when coming down from a curb, if it isn't too high (2 inches max) I don't mind jumping down. 

I'm quite happy to drop off of standard curbs now, about 4"-6" and most of the dropped curbs here still have an inch or three edge on them which is normally ok as long as I'm not going up a steep hill at the same time.

Pavements in the city can be fun though as they are trying to keep the historic look to the city by keeping the natural pennant flag stones wherever they can. Going across the joints is fine it's the ones you catch at a slight angle that shift the wheel an inch or two sideways that can really catch you out.

we have the roughest ground available here the sidewalks are horrendous I just ordered a go pro for some better video and then we will see some real action, I just say "excuse me bud" or something along those lines when coming up on people. went through my first roadblock also on a small backroad, the cop just looked at me and said "cool"

on another note I don't even stick to sidewalks, curb jumps are a breeze and I often find myself offroad. 
with overconfidence is sometimes seems like the bot can't keep up with me, instead of the tilt back in the pedals at higher speeds offroad and upon jumping the pedals dump me off the front (and that feels weird)just tossing up my first day on the cycle here on the ninebot topic its 16 mins long so I'm sorry about that but yea. Enjoy 

A few images to illustrate, from my trip this afternoon.

IMG_20150711_151704.jpg

IMG_20150711_140647.jpg

In this case I just went around these guys in the grass, it was pretty smooth.

@popcorn, if the curb is small I don't mind jumping down. Jumping up is the hard part! :P I'l be interested in your experience with the camera, I tried attaching mine to the electric unicycle but that makes for jumpy video unless you use the image stabilization. 

@Gimlet Just for the fun of it I have thought about driving 5 hours up to Pittsburgh where they have what is supposed to be the steepest street in the world, just to see if either of my wheels could make it up. As you can see, the upper part is pretty rough brick. I can't imagine trying to ride cobblestone streets! 

The worst is when encountering the parallel group walkers head-on, even when you slow down & choose a point of weakness in their defensive wall, they'll often freeze up like a deer in the headlights...  

i know exactly what u mean LOL! in general, those pedestrians who become deer in the headlights are the worst b/c their next step is so unpredictable! you go left b/c it seems they've stopped but then they start heading that way too but its already too late b/c u committed to that direction!

I just use a bike bell around my finger. I ring it, they move to the right edge of the road. Magic. ;)

I think that must be standard European bicycle protocol. We have no such simple rules in America! You really never know what a pedestrian will do over here. They may charge at you like a raging bull and shoot you with a gun. :P 

If they shoot you with guns, you should stop riding in their driveway I guess :D

My biggest annoyance so far are cyclists that think overtaking me is necessary in any situation, so they pedal up, overtake me but then get tired and slow down again. Now I have to follow them at 18kph instead of my usual 20... <_< But to overtake them again at the next hill is just priceless! With a smile B)

Archived