winter tires (spikes?)

GreenStuff

Hello everybody

Snow has started to fall in my country and yesterday i had my first fall caused by low friction... (nothing happened though, i jumped straight off)

Now I am looking for winter tires with spikes for the ninebot one.

I have checked all bike retailers and none of them could find a 16" tire with spikes.

Now I have found one on the website of "Schwalbe" but they are only available in 16x1.2 (http://www.schwalbe.com/de/spike-reader/winter.html)

But i think 1.2" is too narrow for the ninebot.
On the other hand, i think 2.125" (like the original) with spikes will be too big.

Does anyone know a supplier who can offer ninebot compatible tires for winter use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

17 hours ago, Jurgen said:

Just checked http://www.schwalbe.com

seems the mad mike tire is good max 40kg load according to spec sheet

but I found a spiked version that can bear 65kg

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/spike-reader/winter.html

it's probably rock hard to ride: 4.50 - 8.00 Bar (65 - 115 psi), does anybody have experience with this one?

Like GreenStuff said, the spiked version is probably way too narrow to fit into the rim at 1.2", I think at least Ninebot and Firewheel use 16" x 2.125". But, there are all sorts of screw-in studs that you can use to build your own winter tire (just make sure the screws aren't too long, so they don' go all the way through and puncture the inner tube),  try searching for something like "tire studs" or "screw in tire studs" in Google. A thick or "bumped" off-road tire would probably be best (so there are thicker parts where you can safely screw the studs in without them going all the way through).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The 16" mad mike is probably a good staring point but the lugs aren't all that big and could pose a problem for studs if you decide to fit them. 

You could probably get over this by getting a 16" smooth tyre in 1.75 and cutting the sidewalls and beads away then fitting it inside the mad mike to protect the tube.

Hi,

A bit offtopic but....

Here in France, Ninebot official support confirmed that changing the tube or the tire by ourselves (meaning without giving back the bot to the shop) = loss of warranty (SIC) :-(

Is that the same in all countries ?

Edited by faipassa

20 hours ago, esaj said:

Like GreenStuff said, the spiked version is probably way too narrow to fit into the rim at 1.2", I think at least Ninebot and Firewheel use 16" x 2.125". But, there are all sorts of screw-in studs that you can use to build your own winter tire (just make sure the screws aren't too long, so they don' go all the way through and puncture the inner tube),  try searching for something like "tire studs" or "screw in tire studs" in Google. A thick or "bumped" off-road tire would probably be best (so there are thicker parts where you can safely screw the studs in without them going all the way through).

http://www.bmxguru.com/collections/tires-16

no specs though

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Kells said:

I see that... looks like just the spikes and sticking them in the rubber.

yep, this is the old way before they were made by the factories

Vee73 is the expert here

2 minutes ago, Kells said:

I see that... looks like just the spikes and sticking them in the rubber.

yep, this is the old way before they were made by the factories

Vee73 is the expert here

Just now I started to take a new test version of studded tires.
I hope that this would be lighter and hold up better than the previous.
Pins of more than 120 pieces of less, but I think that will work.
In particular, 18 inch problem is the weight at high speed.
Gyroscopic make it more difficult to run the heavier tire.
Now an experiment to delete all excess rubber. This model is already much lighter than the previous one.

14078527.t.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm riding on Schwable Mad Mike from SpeedyFeet and it's just great.

First you need to get used to the new way of riding, it's easier to turn and to wobble, but after few km you're back. The tire is more narrow and it's just different to ride, it's also harder to ride through higher obstacles (like small curb - I actually need to jump a bit in order to not fall).

I'm riding on snow and slowly on ice (sometimes), no problem. Didn't fall even once. But I slow down a bit more when making turns.

Edited by Bat

Virtually any 16" BMX tire would work, if they can handle the load. For example chainreactioncycles in UK sell a few different width Mad Mikes. But usually they have too little rubber, only fix I know (with tube) is to fit some UHD MX tube slice inside the tire, to shield the actual tube. If one can cut MX tire knobs to about half, Starcross MH3 12" front would probably fit just fine to Lhotz (to any other 16" - I don't think so...).

On 20/1/2016 at 5:00 AM, Bat said:

I'm riding on Schwable Mad Mike from SpeedyFeet and it's just great.

First you need to get used to the new way of riding, it's easier to turn and to wobble, but after few km you're back. The tire is more narrow and it's just different to ride, it's also harder to ride through higher obstacles (like small curb - I actually need to jump a bit in order to not fall).

I'm riding on snow and slowly on ice (sometimes), no problem. Didn't fall even once. But I slow down a bit more when making turns.

Got the same tire from speedyfeets and tried for the first time here in france on a hill for 4 km, it was snowing (December Holliday's). No problems good grips.

Riding it every day in Paris since then (14km/ day) and loving it.

Never falled