winter tires (spikes?)

GreenStuff

• 5 months later...

Just found this thread, haven't yet had a chance watching the video by @EUC Extreme. Will do for sure, cause I want to explore the possibilities of fitting studded tires onto my KS16 (which should arrive in a few days). Have tried googling for factory made ones, but with low success.

Any suggestion for good tires to modify? I think the dimension of the KS16 is 16x2.125".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johey said:

Watched. Ok, it wasn't about adding studs. :)

There is one where he puts the studs, but it might be hard to find.  Either in the video thread or his facebook page, I can't remember it was long ago that I saw it.  The main thing he said was that the tread had to have enough thickness to hold the studs, and not just any tire would work.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been riding my 16" E+ with a knobby tire in winter until the accumulated snow becomes too deep to ride in (more than 2"). The biggest issue is that sidewalks become impassible due to snowplows pushing snow onto them at intersections and driveways. 

I tried to install the smallest screw-in studs I could find (Length:8.5mm Diameter:6mm) but all the 16" tires I have found cannot accommodate the screw-in studs without piercing the tire belt. Also the tread 'knobs' on my tire aren't wide enough to hold the screw-in studs securely.

I considered using a tire liner with screws but was concerned that the screws would scrape and possibly jam inside the wheel housing due to low clearance. 

I also tried to make pockets for traditional studs but gave up on the idea as requiring too much effort. I have yet to find a 16" pocketed tire that would fit, and seriously doubt any exist at 14" diameter.

There are at least two riders on the forum who have successfully added studs to Gotway 18" wheels: @EUC Extreme used screw-ins, the other rider (edit: @Xoltrifabricated a custom drill bit from a nail to create pockets.

diagram_600x.jpg

Edited by litewave
credited @Xoltri for his excellent work
  • Like 1