KingSong is bricking wheels on purpose. Dont use their apps.

null

According to this post , as well as an other 18XL thread, KingSong have started locking wheels that havent gone through the exclusive importer.

Until we know more; don't update your firmwares and avoid using KingSong apps.

edit: it might have been a bug in spite of the fairly explicit message. Workaround by Seba described lower down.
edit 2: bug my behind, a bunch more wheels are getting locked, this either sabotage or incompetence. Title edit.

Edited by null
title
  • Like 2

I'm all for supporting local shops and don't mind paying VAT, however KS europe are maintaining absurdly high margins.

In Norway (European living standard) a 18XL cost 2050€ which includes 25% VAT. This was 1900€ for a very long time, covid and oil price pushed it over 2000€.
So we had a wheel which included a margin the seller was satisfied with, local taxes on the higher tier, local stock, and could sell for 1900€, where any French shop (KS Europe) the same costs 2500€ with 20% VAT. No wonder people turn to Ali at 1800€, and even that is an inflated price where EU looses on VAT.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, null said:

No wonder people turn to Ali at 1800€, and even that is an inflated price because they skip the VAT.

Times when one got really good prices at aliexpress are long gone...

Some 10% are imho not worth the trouble...

In the beginning, afair one got wheels for about 1/3 of the official local price.

So aliexpress sellers "cheat" the customers, and KS punishes the people the earn money from :(

Btw: not too long ago was a report from one of our members in northern europe (?scandinavia?) who bought from a L cal reseller and got a chinese KS wheel...

3 hours ago, null said:

According to this post , as well as an other 18XL thread, KingSong have started locking wheels that havent gone through the exclusive importer.

I'm the one who wrote the second linked post above. I had no idea about region locking until after this happened this morning, and I had very good reason to buy through a Chinese seller since I used to live in China and had money left in a bank account there that I was unable to transfer home without going in person to my bank in China, but I was able to transfer the money electronically to the seller to pay for the wheel (win-win situation in my book). King Song knows the seller (English name is Smart Ride, and they sell on Taobao - where I bought from - and AliExpress, and they are located in Shenzhen where King Song is based) openly advertises that they ship the wheels abroad, and yet KS gladly sells wheels to them and doesn't seem to try and restrict this on their end.

I've already reached out to the seller, but have to wait until it's morning in China to hear back (if they even reply). Aside from that, I know King Song has a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/kingsong.international/ and if I don't hear back from my seller or they don't offer a solution, I'm going to contact them to see what my options are. 

Anyone else run into this problem? In researching it, I'm noticing that people seem to have been posting for a while about KS locking wheels shipped abroad by Chinese sellers (and I'm kicking myself for not seeing these posts earlier), but the first thread linked above is the only post I'm finding aside from my own where somebody's wheel was actually locked. I'm also wondering why my wheel worked fine for almost two months before finally getting locked if this has been going on for a while. This is incredibly frustrating, especially since I just came to Colorado to spend a month with family and was planning to ride nearly every day, but after only two days of great rides my wheel is now locked. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Also, I just took a quick look through King Song's official Facebook page and noticed the attached post from June 19th. It doesn't list my seller in the post, nor does it threaten to lock wheels sold by unofficial sellers, but it's the only thing I've seen directly from KS addressing this issue.

104682707_1877367432400339_6123988455973916251_o.png

Edited by FTW
Add image

8 minutes ago, FTW said:

Anyone else run into this problem?

Here until now what i have seen three reports until now.

9 minutes ago, FTW said:

I'm noticing that people seem to have been posting for a while about KS locking wheels shipped abroad by Chinese sellers 

There were some rumours, especially with firmware updates not possible for these chinese wheels "over here". KS also distributed exclusive reseller contracts that some european resellers showed (in anger). Especially in these who offered no more service as the aliexpress resellers but took more money. Other local resellers established very well by offering great customer service - in combination with the rising prices on aliexpress they made it imho very well.

17 minutes ago, FTW said:

and I'm kicking myself for not seeing these posts earlier

It's not your fault! By what rules should a customer be obliged to do internet research (were he most likely just finds rumors) to get to a legit buying decision!

Imho KS has every right to punish/restrict any aliexpress/tabao reseller - but putting any restriction to any customer paying money just will backfire on them.

I hope with their message to establish contact they will resolve this problems - but still imho this is a wrong attitude against the customer who pays their living!

Sorry for my personal emotions - i cannot understand such behaviour :(

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Here until now what i have seen three reports until now.

There were some rumours, especially with firmware updates not possible for these chinese wheels "over here". KS also distributed exclusive reseller contracts that some european resellers showed (in anger). Especially in these who offered no more service as the aliexpress resellers but took more money. Other local resellers established very well by offering great customer service - in combination with the rising prices on aliexpress they made it imho very well.

It's not your fault! By what rules should a customer be obliged to do internet research (were he most likely just finds rumors) to get to a legit buying decision!

Imho KS has every right to punish/restrict any aliexpress/tabao reseller - but putting any restriction to any customer paying money just will backfire on them.

I hope with their message to establish contact they will resolve this problems - but still imho this is a wrong attitude against the customer who pays their living!

Sorry for my personal emotions - i cannot understand such behaviour :(

i cant imagine that KS themselves really cares at all about this... whoever sells the wheel to you, they made the same amount of money selling it to them.... but i am thinking that they were probably persuaded to sign contracts with european official resellers that would prevent or at least dissuade those in the EU purchasing from aliexpress to skirt taxes and dealer price hikes

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seba said:

. I hope this is just a bug in factory KS app and not intentional decision to lock certain wheels that was sold outside of their intended sales region.

Let's hope so!

1 minute ago, Rywokast said:

i cant imagine that KS themselves really cares at all about this... whoever sells the wheel to you, they made the same amount of money selling it to them.... but i am thinking that they were probably persuaded to sign contracts with european official resellers that would prevent or at least dissuade those in the EU purchasing from aliexpress to skirt taxes and dealer price hikes

Imho those chinese resellers take advantage of the price difference. If they cannot punish these resellers as they make their main sales in china,too they decided on putting the burden on the customers to fulfill their sales contracts with our local resellers :(

As written above this is just my personal 2 cents and just "my rumour".

Let's hope that @Seba's opinion is right and it is just a bug in the app!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ach-Herr-Jeh said:

Hi everyone
does this only affect the KS app or are third-party apps also affected?
example ios darknessbot
thank you for the information

I can't destify anything for darknessbot, but it seems to be "just" a KS app issue. @Seba stated that no locking will happen with euc world.

@Ilya Shkolnik could tell in regard to darknessbot

7 minutes ago, FTW said:

To me this suggests that KS is NOT the one locking the wheels, but that there may be some glitch

Great news! I start to feel ashamed for my personal opinions i posted here - happened most probably in because of such rumours posted before. That's no search for an excuse, but (hopefully) some explanation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I can't destify anything for darknessbot, but it seems to be "just" a KS app issue. @Seba stated that no locking will happen with euc world.

@Ilya Shkolnik could tell in regard to darknessbot

Just to add a little more clarification, my 18XL was locked out of the KS app AND DarknessBot app (and I didn't have access to an Android phone or I would have tested it with EUC World also). I first encountered the problem this morning BEFORE I connected to ANY app, as my gyros never enabled after turning my wheel on (i.e. it would power on, but it was "limp"). That's when I tried opening the KS app and immediately got the error message "The vehicle has been locked, whether to contact customer service?" right when the app opened up, and then as soon as I closed the error message the wheel would power off.

I then tried connecting with the DarknessBot app, and it would pop up an error message window that says "The device requires pin code" (and this is where you should enter your serial number to unlock the wheel), and if I canceled out of it I could access the app, but no information would show up for the wheel, and I couldn't change any settings for the wheel. I posted screen grabs of these messages along with an explanation at the below thread:

I’m glad if this is just a bug.

I don’t know what other function « this wheel has been locked, contact service » message would be for though. Especially that all reported wheels where unofficial import.

As for rumoring there where three cases within a few hours, with a fairly explicit message, I preferred posting a warning rather than people ending up with expensive paperweights. I also mentioned « until we know more ».

KS have been toying with region locking and activation for years, as well as ranting about Ali sellers, of course one expect them to enforce what they have been developing.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, null said:

As for rumoring there where three cases within a few hours, with a fairly explicit message, I preferred posting a warning rather than people ending up with expensive paperweights. I also mentioned « until we know more ».

Sorry if it sounded like I was pointing the finger at you Null, as that was definitely not the case (I was very happy that you started this thread!). It just surprised me when doing extensive research here on the forum after my wheel got locked this morning to find so many people referring to KS’s habit of locking wheels bought direct from China without finding anyone posting about having actually encountered this problem (and there may well have been some cases before today, I’m just saying I saw a lot of rumors and no actual proof in the threads I found). As we found out from Jack King Song’s post above, it was KS responsible for this problem, but it was after all a “glitch”... or at least those of us who purchased our wheels direct from China better hope it was a glitch! 😁

Edited by FTW
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seba said:

So far, I've ridden 1639 kilometres in 12 days. In the first days the weather was terrible - at that time it was raining heavily in the south of Poland and there were heavy thunderstorms. The roads were washed up by rivers and streams pouring out of the riverbed. In some places it was difficult to pass because of avalanches of mud that came down from the hills. Now it is much better, I have only three days left to finish the whole expedition. In a moment I am packing up and going further - today another 150 kilometers to go :)

BTW The new tour recording mechanism works perfectly! After my return I will prepare another EUC World update.

You the man Seba! Try to enjoy the conquest for sure. Im looking forward to a story/picture or two. I'd imagine something of interest has and will happen for the trip. Be safe, eat your vitamin C and grab a Banana!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2