Cut off & lost confidence

Sugarat

I fell at 38kmh on my GW mten3, not sure if it was a cutoff since the wheel was on when I picked it up (could it turn back on after a cutoff?) Could it have been a tiltback that threw me off?

(I was fully protected so nothing major but broke my ankle in spite of wearing mc hitops.)

17 hours ago, Fntmsgotwaymten3 said:

I fell at 38kmh on my GW mten3, not sure if it was a cutoff since the wheel was on when I picked it up (could it turn back on after a cutoff?) Could it have been a tiltback that threw me off?

(I was fully protected so nothing major but broke my ankle in spite of wearing mc hitops.)

ouch. hope you heal up well.
38kmh?! didn't even know you can go that fast on the MTEN3. 

V10F can only go that fast in the first 80%, after that i can only go at 36km/h. 
Well, i mean the beep and tilt back, i've gone faster than 36km/h on 73% but going downhill for a few minutes, but didn't push it. 

After a "cut off" the wheel should be off, at least on inmotion. Not sure how a gotway handles it though.

2 hours ago, Senior Coffee said:

If you want to get back out there don't wait too long or you'll never ride again.  I waited just long enough for my pain to subside then I was back on the wheel.

This. This is so important to prevent any fear or even a “I can’t do it” mindset from developing.

(Says someone who is jumping with a V10 on a dirt track that almost cost him his right eye, nose, and left a scar many years back on a bike. :D )

• Like 1

I overleaned in my S2 yesterday after riding it from work to the van. So used to the MSP now. The ninebot did beep at me a few times and i just continued to back off a little and carry on. It did beep serval times before whilst backing off and then hitting the limit before it threw me off, should of been more respectful of the beep instead of continuing to push it just to stay under its limit, it threw me sub <15mph no protection. My palms and left knee took the fall and hurts like hell today. 

Lesson learned is even a slow speed fall hurts and respect the limits of the unit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickNonsense said:

I overleaned in my S2 yesterday after riding it from work to the van. So used to the MSP now. The ninebot did beep at me a few times and i just continued to back off a little and carry on. It did beep serval times before whilst backing off and then hitting the limit before it threw me off, should of been more respectful of the beep instead of continuing to push it just to stay under its limit, it threw me sub <15mph no protection. My palms and left knee took the fall and hurts like hell today. 

Lesson learned is even a slow speed fall hurts and respect the limits of the unit. 

Riding machines with vastly different power/speed profiles can be tricky since we tend to mentally retain the profile of the faster machine. Despite an elegant design, 9bot s1/s2 are so underpowered compared to even low end wheels - they require much more care to avoid cutouts. Still great for tooling around and running errands though! MSP not so ez to drop into a shopping cart at the grocery store...

On 4/18/2020 at 5:51 PM, Sugarat said:

Hi All, 

I've been a huge EUC fan ever since I got my InMotion V5F+ about 2.5 years ago.  I've done almost a thousand miles on it and love it to bits.  

BUT..  A few months ago I was on my way home from work on the wheel. I was just overtaking a pedestrian on the pavement when out of nowhere, it cut off on me.

Same problem using Segway Ninebot One S2  (sorry is written in italian language)

http://blog.holzl.it/index.php/free-software-in-free-world/454-monoruota-il-mezzo-del-futuro-il-pericolo-del-presente

On 9/19/2020 at 1:40 PM, Zopper said:

This. This is so important to prevent any fear or even a “I can’t do it” mindset from developing.

(Says someone who is jumping with a V10 on a dirt track that almost cost him his right eye, nose, and left a scar many years back on a bike. :D )

True. Someone told me that you gotta try again and don't give the time and chance for the fear to "set in". 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a seriously underpowered KS14D now that I have been riding a few months.  I fell going down a hill at over 25mph (40kmh). The pedals tilted back within only a couple of seconds and was so far back already that I couldn't bend my ankles far enough to brake and had to jump off. It never died though. I was wearing some gear so I just bruised my hip pretty good, scraped an elbow and made my shoulder very sore (still is sore 2 months later). I was a ways from my car so made the decision to get back on and ride back to my car. It is kind of scary to get back on after a fall like that. Waiting for my 3rd batch v11 to come in now and don't go down any steep hills on my KS any more.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 5:44 AM, onizukagto said:

True. Someone told me that you gotta try again and don't give the time and chance for the fear to "set in". 

Maybe it's also ok to take a break after a bad fall, obv. if injured, but also to clear the mind from the trauma, and reflect on what happened (why ride so fast 😉?)

I don't have a choice bc my ankle is broken but it's minor so I expect and look forward to ride again soon enough. Can ride my 1000w ebike some (no pedaling), that helps...

• Like 1

Considering a KS14D has a top speed of 30km/h it’s not very surprising it would cut out at 40km/h. Good you went back on though Dgar.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You'll have the same problem if you try to go 65 kph or 70 kph with the 50 (or 55) kph V11.

Really bad analogy: The V11 will start tilting heavily and you'll never get anywhere near 55kph.

InMotion is very different then King Song and Gotway in this regard.

4 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Really bad analogy: The V11 will start tilting heavily and you'll never get anywhere near 55kph.

InMotion is very different then King Song and Gotway in this regard.

I do not know that InMotion is very different then King Song and Gotway. I have only Inmotion, but look my story.(September 16)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This was 100% operator error. No need to be scared of the 14D (down hills or anywhere else), just don't go faster than you should with it (30kph or whenever it beeps):)

You'll have the same problem if you try to go 65 kph or 70 kph with the 50 (or 55) kph V11.

Correct. I was my own fault. I was still fairly new and didn't realize it would pick up speed that fast. I figured I would just brake if it got faster than I thought but the tiltback kicked in so quickly I was already too far gone to brake.

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The 14D has tiltback too, doesn't it?

It does have tiltback. It definitely tilted back but it was much faster and a farther tiltback than I was ready for.

• Like 1