How it started, and where it is taking me ...

Scottie

A Like-Minded Journalist {note that I am not a journalist}

984499658_newsarticle036(2)_90_90_95.thumb.jpg.020023bb8a0e6b5d362cc2553640799b.jpg

In case you cannot read the pasted article https://www.greenfieldreporter.com/2022/02/02/stephanie-haines-immerse-yourself-in-experiences-daily/

When I read this human interest article yesterday, I instantly thought about the wheel! So much of what Stephanie writes about also directly equates to the experience we get on the wheel. Judging by her writing, I think she would enjoy a wheel herself. Am I thinking, "recruitment of a new rider"? hmmm. 

The article highlights are: immersive experience ... did not get dizzy (true most of the time :efee8319ab:) ... musical soundtrack matching the experience ... wondering why people do what they do, especially faces constantly buried in phone screens ... up close and personal with nature ... and so on. All these things run through my mind when on the wheel.

My main thing about riding the wheel is that it gets me 'out and about'. The whole point of being out is to be immersed in the world, nature, and the people. The people are not always enjoyed, but they are experienced!

I am a big fan of Jay Leno's Garage. One comment he made in a video was something like this, "Lots of people do not look up from their phones often enough to notice if anything odd is happening"!   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Doing all these figures

Last time I was out doing figures I thought... they used to have to do figures in competitive figure skating but that requirement was dropped a while ago. Maybe in the EUC games there should be a figures competition! They could even use the same ones they used to do in skating, including the 180° turns at the center of a figure 8. Of course, that'd eliminate me immediately, but there are some that could do it.

12 minutes ago, Scottie said:

make me feel like I am in a new place

Funny, I get the same feeling. There's a section on my night route where I come around a corner and am presented with a panoramic view of our city's skyline... it's breathtaking nearly every single night. Like—wow, humans are quite something, and I get to actually see this. In the car you get the same view, but for some reason being inside the cabin makes it all feel less "real".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Scottie that sounds like a great time! I’ve yet to meet any locals. Mind you I have made that much of an effort besides posting here. Lol. It’s cool that riders on different devices get to try out something new. Did the one wheel rider say why they were looking to switch? Did seeing the Abrams in action make you want one?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Lol. It’s cool that riders on different devices get to try out something new.

Yes, that is the nice part of a group ride. The RS-Tq rider got to try the Abrams also. That is a rare opportunity for sure! I usually roll around in my smallish town east of Indianapolis by myself most of the time. But it is nice to run with the pack once in a while.

Did the one wheel rider say why they were looking to switch?

He was talking a bit about the range of the OneWheel XR not being as much as he wanted. The new GT is not that available yet. I basically got the feeling that he was impressed with EUC range and wants a piece of that. He is focused on getting the 100V 1800wh Nikola, which is why he wanted to try mine.

He was there with his father and they both ride there own OneWheel. So I see a future possibility that his father will be rolling on an EUC. It was neat to talk with the father also. I like to see older folks that still have game. It might not be "A" game ... but it is game!  Everybody is so enthusiastic about rolling on whatever they are on.

Did seeing the Abrams in action make you want one?

My biggest problem is that I never met a wheel that I didn't like!! So, yes I wanted one. I do not always succeed, but I do try to mix some logic into my decision. I was thinking to myself that it would be nice to have one. But I am a slowpoke by nature so the Monster fits the bill for me for that size wheel. The Abrams and old Monster have the same size tire and step over | bridge over bumps the same, and have the same gyro effect. If I had become a speedster (which would require that I be 20+ years younger) I would probably have to get one.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

That’s twice today I got the message from the Goog (Borg) that I can’t look at your photos unless the Goog (Borg) has access to my photos. 
Sinister, or just paranoia on my part ?

That doesn't belong there yet ... editorial mistake! :roflmao: It will show up again soon in a more positive light! 

Edited by Scottie
grammer

3 hours ago, Scottie said:

1st phase: ... 8th phase: 

Old guy here, 70 years old. I started August 2021, when I was only 69 1/2 years old. Things went a bit quicker for me:

Pre phase - before I ordered my V8F, and while waiting for my V8F to arrive, I watched a lot of how to ride EUC videos and other videos. The other videos included using yaw steering via arm flailing (flail left to steer right, flail right to steer left) for slow speed riding, which was missing from the how to ride EUC videos, and turned out to be very helpful for me. Also planned to follow Kuji Roll and Wrong Way's advice to learn how to ride using support to mount and launch before learning how to free mount.

1st phase - yaw steering -  15 minute session using rail to rock back and forth, some short 10 foot runs, advice from another rider, steer left and right rather than trying to go straight. Later that day at a tennis court, after 3 or 4 minutes using fence to mount and travel a bit, ventured away from fence using yaw steering via arm flailing to steer into direction of fall | lean for balance and to guide my V8F. Able to do laps around a tennis court around 3 to 5 mph on my first attempt, as this was somewhat instinctive to me and some other beginner riders.

2nd phase - V8F becomes stable at sufficient speed - tilt steering - on 2nd day with a bit under 1 hour total time on m V8F, I moved to a long straight with two trash bin enclosures I could use for supported mount and launch about 500 feet apart. Discovered my V8F became stable at around 6 to 8 mph, where I no longer had to focus on balance. This wasn't some "it just clicked moment", but instead similar to a bicycle, an EUC becomes stable at sufficient speed. Leaning forwards | backwards to accelerate | brake was also instinctive. Experiment with tilt steering (move inner foot down, outer foot up) to get an idea of how V8F would respond. Next mild weave pattern and a few passes later, large radius turns. 

3rd phase - free mount - tilt steering improves - Learned to free mount, my only time on grass. Since I could basically ride, rather than one foot glide drills, I mounted like a skateboard, one or two steps and hop on. Didn't lean enough forwards on first two tries to compensate for grass, got it on third try.  Free mounting allowed me to ride at other nearby places, such as a long and wide pathway and a bike trail. Did tilt steering drills to coordinate body lean and and tilt steering, depending on speed and turning radius: lean body, tilt enough to hold the lean, or tilt more to return to vertical (counter-steering). Over time, using feet to steer feels natural. Able to move arms and|or look around without upsetting balance. While on the bike trial, discovered my V8F has a sort of cruise control that attempts to maintain speed on inclines and declines by auto-tilting forwards | backwards.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, Tawpie said:

Oceans 14? You could do a group ride that splits up with the loot. Some escape through the city catacombs, others through the hills, decoys on the streets (bystander safety always first and foremost). Quick application of a power drill to the escape vehicles and poof... evidence is ash.

It would be a fun scene!

(did that video come out before parkour? Actor/stunt person was pretty adept)

Sometimes I like to go back and haunt the early Forum posts just see about the early wheels and what people were saying about them. Even back in the day, people thought to put Secret Agents on them! :D

Go check this very similar imagination. Just goes to show ya' ... or something.

sHi3lFhYPS0n-Xtjs1rA1SZirm9yoSdsZaPs03VvNNXfZWwiWNsw8VD0i9FRGJEfqlY3c1ku0_CWbqToewAlKiFKXFqhynslv5Sio6aRofuUwMbVoMJLfjDSC8uQgm6cWm8DSnufw2Z4Aq_tcNFTs0DCVUY_pxvM16ayMWBYW_0965O8TQ2-6MN_gZCABVtotosHzMXjHiRwK5FT_-SZ_i5mCvzHLVL6yf297v18mLnqPIrbXdvDZ78LcZB3UDStZCM1iDVdRowu3HkzXEDoWEwRwvpDdlVueS9qqUVg73mLJT15aBZgf8m2Vp08SdJL9mXS5aUxEO8QZQIIhO5uwIjn-nbS9omk8py8tvO1vM0ZfobDnpW3N3ha1qvyLq_So4Hm1os5CHEFUsS9q2XxWrqlJxYYcYK8-9DilRofyHPnLeJeEuiW3hKQlhPj22nc2SgTnLa6OxMZvDpl8utaEJSyzPGONIxmoi4JyJ5IC-v6FoHeaqncFDKBd2Tjh1Jzi2mxE44JMJ9MUb-a5nlLDKGkeqkHjBhwtQgAcLD8Ki46oQY2Fv3p7n68kE5qZQNNQZxTb5Gj-dXPjXDFjRvgWsth5XHf3Qr_w0hG_w8nfL_Tzvqc43itbBA99nh0umRXVNR8QNYBjw04EIfTRnkpo2rwhWTareBNFRmAXuyFSRDCkV_ZqHULcN32YGwdWTkwr3tV-gZfXQW7NvgoNtO9mf37bAug7vqXmGVoWVjjLlV3tb_agnhFtGtMKgM=w924-h417-no?authuser=0

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

Go check this very similar imagination. Just goes to show ya' ... or something.

:lol: I clicked the link just to see what things were being talked about back in the day....most interesting was the members list of wheels ranging from a whopping 850Wh down to 132Wh :o:o

I tell you what, people speak of having balls doing 50mph on a wheel these days, I would poo my pants doing anything at all on a 132Wh wheel!!!!

• Like 2

Sitgo B1 Black Folding Bike eBike- Front Oblique Left@Mike Sacristan I am retiring by the end of May if all goes well. Then I am going to try to perfect the art of being a bum, at least for a few months anyway. After that I may look for something useful and mentally rewarding to do part time, that will still leave plenty of bum time! My wife wants to bum around with me now, so I got her a nice little electric scooter to ride around on since she is a bit older and more sane than I am. It just arrived today and I put it together and tested it out a bit. Then we took a ride to a local fast food (Dairy Queen), with her getting the maiden voyage on the Stigo. She loves that little scooter! I was on the trusty 16X.

9t3ljJe9S82Z7UX5Oaz4XBDcXMstBERu4QnnUif112lhfCfHTiklpiLdCi0PeYoSa7Q4f8M6fIbXf4Bx2R_a8FRkmFlauBcZJCOv9Bp_2OvIpK1DexVaY84gPlGRZwxyjsFk7A9mjivRr4_Ev_VHPu4-ZXzV_7tLLj3bMkdxk_1xJKoFWBt2dBpk1ZOSaG6narcIzni8c9p51n9gHqiPRU2Zg5p4i5CRVUaicRpDKF6w28OsjYX0ttIr7Plu9nh-7oFBh3YHhZNxInDDEMHSNT0yef26YahZQQAyNzQLRgprQQxGh-iZLMAY4BNMuc0iIi5UWPsg2LdFruOyAN60W3yZ4G7qQhCw6WlyQueqnret3WRBOrtRcrqk-peeO9DFG8ar1jNdvjqGI6kLclq3mQwTvTQlAN121DXrINrctSukFg3cM9C7thLUyVvCaZqtpg8Q49fXvOF6xDLv46rghTMYjiZjqKj3a3pawJs2aBnhIzKUB0SqXIEktINitJFk4SlLNkkszNk9I-47Q5RtK2GCFmVJmc6Gk2iZAKgZST1a5mQ1dwmDV4Esv7LyAzlvpt4ijnZ691oRiW3H7jOJCK-VQ0woVj40RC3HJzVusuyEzTt2IzMw2lAwfaqhtk2gftECP2hjut3sWJgYDYSnq8o_AQD4rfpCcg3gpdTG88hSnKkvVR_f9J4GTWeg-ZC5H4_DXBc2y5K2LL-erjnJ5q0vDElxz94fua-1BiwbaDbpLrsytsM74ooLV9o=w1218-h1041-no?authuser=0My wife was with me again yesterday to prove that she does want to learn how to be a bum. We took a ride around the trails of yet another new town close by. Again, there was a small river for me to stare into and see if I could figure anything out.

She went old-school on her bicycle ... not knowing that her Stigo was on the way yet! I took the Fat Nik. She made it 8 miles (~13 km) before she started to get tired. The Stigo should be able to take her 25 miles (40 km) for better bumming around. She deserves some good bum time. She has worked hard all her life. 

CKJio-eyVUb4kO9bpdXj7ZEr22xEOTFRrpzHFBq5hG7UrYugtbjawEUUzf78X5edE8M4qJwqndVi5d1J1YRjz9U5eR6rzuKEXawxkCyI1_j_Tc5YT5sMbCwHhbtLt0yWltGdpnFBi2Pcv6tkDYQKxCvKIZPB2b-F1lHu9iLloRpZnICICTtLAzr7qpxQeME4RMszOfCuGDt-yVaV6YisVWU_onYbh4wboVgU4iEO7Iu40j34cbZ0QVUtrqHssWIV4xMOcJy935SpTN6gWA_0QHEwT8qepElCbCnFhLBxCKE3GDr8qhzAcWJS5ct0TMO3JtCxXOiRvU0c4w5dpocVvw3BNUHD0sbOyRoW_JbUGWmQZwosOs6NWbrJoMNXqz4VdEJUd01VeRBI2qRJ005NZio_O-RX4RJvX7B2pgp-qJ0uv_wJEcURWk8tGBY5sBEMDteHY1_cRlmQFY59ZRb2SaZ1fRpOt55jVsKLgM1JuWXCxil1xdGCjbDxOJHp6tSEJmHWLLKNkUT5P_d4dKtkgo2Y9SkOEMtmra9-fisYMk3185hhqG8GRWdWdYYcmn91IPkEQ8XxjRPYwnGT38GWu8Zqhdc3y0fqqVMtNRQieTDgJhI0CqzqOnDPFQGO3VU9iwMrED2EvhVyzadrQgntfdrmbPrLa_Amt3da__zvzgs_DcJBfcLS3YdSUHfq7DpauCsXPYLsQ0zj8BovXsfyL3gLuQKZJOFRdnEZOpZRSBO2L-Ku3w-xu5wHcU8=w1641-h1041-no?authuser=0

On that ride I saw this sign and somehow instantly thought of someone on the other side of the planet! If anybody has been addicted to EUCs for more than a month, they probably know who I thought of. :efee8319ab:

Gravel perfectly in the wrong spot ... that sounds like my luck. The odds are astronomically against that happening and it happens anyway. Why does the universe hate us? Is it because we do not contemplate our sins hard enough?

But in another opposite way, it makes sense. Maybe the universe loves us. The odds were astronomically against us even being here as a species, or as an individual. And yet here we are. Whatever the universe does seems to beat the odds as much as go with the odds. I will never figure it out, but it is a fun thought experiment. This is the crap I think about when I stare into the water!

My wife still stops what she is doing to watch when I am playing your channel on the television. She still loves your humor, and of course the wonderful scenery going by pleases her.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Barefooter said:

Hello fellow older riders from a recently retired* Arkansan.  I got the EUC bug when watching a JimmyChang video about the OneWheel and he mentioned a thing called an electric unicycle....  BOOM!..  i need one of those.  I don't get to ski anymore due to family health issues but I figured with an EUC  i could get the joy of carving without being away from home.  So, talked to the finance committee, presented my case, promised i would always wear protective gear, and ordered a V8S from ewheels.

I identify with the various posts about phases of learning.  I watched a bunch of learning videos and adapted them to a rural, not many flat places plan.  Where there was flat ground there wasn't anything to hang on to so I used my ski poles.  After about 2 hours (over a few 20-40 minute sessions) with the poles I put them up and worked out free mounting and put the poles up for good.  After about 12 hours of ride time I feel somewhat confident on pavement and have done some off road things around the place.  I REALLY hate moles now...

In the 'experience is what you get right after you needed it' frame...   I tried to carry my trash can up from the road at the end of my last ride.  I carried it with both hands in front of me.  About the time i patted myself on the back for now being able to do this i noticed i was accelerating in a way i couldn't control it very well because ya' know... i was carrying something in front of me...  off the side of the drive way...  pedal digs in and down i go...  first riding wreck, not going very fast, fell in dirt/grass so all in all not too bad.  Did pull several muscles in my chest somehow.

*I was laid off in 2019 shortly before my wife's health got a lot worse to the point she needed support throughout the day.. so...  Retired it is...

Don't feel too badly. I learned about how bad an idea it is to toss a trash can from an euc. Shoulda been obvious, but doh...

Shake it off, heal up a bit and hopefully we'll be hearing more from you as the summer wears on. Arkansas is nice for sure! No shortage of trees or water out there! Welcome to tne nuthouse..:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

In the 'experience is what you get right after you needed it' frame... 

Sounds about right!

so I used my ski poles.  After about 2 hours (over a few 20-40 minute sessions) with the poles I put them up and worked out free mounting and put the poles up for good.

I wish I had done it that way.

Welcome to the Forum.

Edited by Scottie

On 2/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, Tawpie said:

Funny, I get the same feeling. There's a section on my night route where I come around a corner and am presented with a panoramic view of our city's skyline... it's breathtaking nearly every single night. Like—wow, humans are quite something, and I get to actually see this. In the car you get the same view, but for some reason being inside the cabin makes it all feel less "real".

@OldFartRides I had to get this out while it is fresh in my mind.

At 17:10, Lex describes approaching the view of a city almost exactly the same as Tawpie did here. The video is set to start playing just before ... just click it.

But, you heard it here first, from Tawpie!  :eff034a94a: When I heard Lex say that in the video, I said to myself, "Wait, that sounds very familiar. Where did I hear that before?" 

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 2