How it started, and where it is taking me ...

Scottie

16 hours ago, Tawpie said:

So I did a test run over the weekend—home to the office and back on the 16X. 52 miles at 67% faster than I average, almost twice as fast as EUCWorld reports for "other riders" on all wheels and all geographies. I'm not a fan of speed, I could have gone faster but I'm not comfortable and the reason I ride is to de-stress, not add stress. I spent 3 hours and 43 minutes getting there and back... faster than the bus but still twice what it takes in the car.

That is a long commute. It would either become fun or become torture. Most likely torture with a constant "are we there yet" feeling.

I used to commute to Lazyrolling. It was a little over 10km. There were 5 variations on the route I could take. Some with more cars and some with more cyclists. No matter how I tried I couldn't achieve an average of 30kmh. Even riding 60kmh on some sections on the Nik and EXN. Riding from A to B for time is messy and going faster only saves us a few minutes. Eventually I started going slower and taking detours and stops instead. To me there was no difference if the ride took 30 minutes or one hour. But there is definitely a difference if the ride is 40km / 25 miles. I would set 2 hours as the cruise time to 2 hours each way for some extra fiddly diddly time and try it for two weeks and then see how I feel about it. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I spent 3 hours and 43 minutes getting there and back... faster than the bus but still twice what it takes in the

In Seattle, do the police ticket euc riders for riding in traffic? If not, do you feel comfortable enough to take the main roads on something like a Sherman Max, or in the future on one of the suspension wheels whenever they get released?

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

In Seattle, do the police ticket euc riders for riding in traffic? If not, do you feel comfortable enough to take the main roads on something like a Sherman Max, or in the future on one of the suspension wheels whenever they get released?

Actually, as long as the speed limit on the road is under 35 mph, we're legal in the street. It's different in the states... in some countries it's illegal unless specifically allowed but here things are the other way around. If it's not specifically covered by legislation, it's "fine" and our state regulations stop at 2000 W/20 mph. Under that, there are rules that specifically allow certain uses and over that and they could get you for something—but they'd have to think about it. Improper use of a crosswalk I think got one rider a ticket.

Technically, we're not legal on the bike paths or in the bike lanes but the law doesn't care. Seattle is a place where years before marijuana was legalized the voters instructed SPD to make (non-distribution) pot violations their absolute lowest possible enforcement priority. They'd have to ticket you for jaywalking before they could bother you for smoking a joint.

I try to stay far away from cars even though our city speed limit is 25 mph. The nightmare scenario is falling for some reason—I ride with so much gear I look like a marshmallow so I might break something but a fall really shouldn't kill me. But I see myself surviving the fall only to be run over by a car. The other thing about cars around here is our drivers are not very good about sharing the road.

There was some bad blood developed long ago during the bike messenger era—bikes deliberately created traffic jams during rush hour in a place where we already have some of the worst traffic in the country (critical mass protests), plus many drivers don't appreciate losing lanes to arrogant we're-better-than-you asshats. Our infrastructure is improving, but at a cost of something like 5 million USD/mile of added bike lane (counting the painted ones). One driver that's having a bad day and decides to put me in my place would be one driver too much, so I'm not comfortable in the street.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I would set 2 hours as the cruise time to 2 hours each way for some extra fiddly diddly time and try it for two weeks and then see how I feel about it. 

That's the right plan I think. Still though, I need to get hold of that prince fella...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

How in the world did this escape me for all these years?

Do you mean the pre-wheel years? Then it's easy ... no wheel to dart to and fro, which enables checking things out. If you mean during the wheel years, then maybe you were just too preoccupied having fun.

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

What else have I zoomed by?

Whatever it might be ... I am awaiting a full report. :efefd0f676:

• Like 3

Today is one of those spring days where we have squalls coming off the Great Lakes, so it’s ten minutes of bright sunshine then ten minutes of heavy snow. So I went tooling around town - coffee shop, coffee delivery ( to my niece), the nephew’s oil change place, the lunch counter, up the hill to the town overlook, back down  on a mock slalom run, etc…

Took a book w/ me and did a bit of reading between sessions. Great way to fritter half a day away.

Been riding the v11 more than the s18. Seems to be less prone to the wobbles. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 2:02 AM, Paul A said:

Tawpie might be a girl...

:ph34r:

13 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

My buddy who is an ace machinist and fabricator couldn’t handle retirement, so he set up a shop and began manufacturing custom helicopter carts (he’s also a heli guy - did five ground- up resto’s over the years !).

He sold one in south Florida so we made a quick trip this week to deliver it. I take the 16s along when I go with him. At the hotel Wednesday night two guys were drinking and smoking by the pool and wanted to know what I was riding. They both wanted to try it. The pool fence was perfect- smooth top rail bout five feet high. They both did good and the one guy was sold. Said “Oh I will own one of these”. 

We saw some awesome big boy toys at the airport. This one was worth the long ride to see :

83C9AB21-C988-410E-81A2-9C46D21543EA.jpeg

Boys grow up and the toys get more expensive... good stuff!

• Like 1

@OldFartRides did you guys arrive in that Porsche in the background under the P51 engine?

4 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

I take the 16s along when I go with him.

Yep. Gotta' have a wheel to "look around the corner". :eff034a94a:

Hold my beer...

Jana Tenambergen: "There's also a 24 hour world record in unicycle riding.  I'd like to go for that one too."

One Of The Fastest Persons On A Unicycle - World Record Holder Jana Tenambergen

Apr 7, 2021
AKedOLRbZG1MmK6IzcshSGU4EPw_36tMeXDi0I8V

212K subscribers

• Like 2

Scotty- No, the (two) Porches were part of the collection. The guy who exercises mr. Bigs toys also restores antique planes.

Ive got more pics, but I don’t have a off site pic sharing account.

Here’s the Bell 47 :

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

TXBeCqy1tk_fwyBPQNopsl10wWxuyPfycSuoIrlWB464XRsVD3HtdpxvwDYEHdnRs0LOVzq9F0IVPmTgVBkurxCgQuBeFmGkR7h8Ihq4gYqVlPfB1hT3V3QSsgordFZf7VBMnUkIugjtDEzm2WOPwsBfvbNhgD7fxolS4c2VklIdEoxjqKZSDnZZUbyH36CpdLeUVC_R-B2qsF6npmbzVsVqoK52bIKg68VYrVYywr9-8UbfpVNZB0MosTB14IFexEckRrYzX89fb-1bDlSSDd8ZRgZlsSGKtElr9jaaZsohLdviNWj23Gl1fAAlm1vOAtaks5D-puYJHv8tXM33R13SOAR-0CO_lxlk3MWiEIQi3zVVS_VD5aV4B5YChmmqCCjOXk-1nXeL9XVDE1WR-nHkGuxd2SU-L-UohUKP2Zh8rUkF04Msk-b4dGo5Uq6ZGq9G0Pf2-nnzOlg6NPaYHasb2vV-o0H8dxqAtOK30sYMYEz--ROFtRQmI43A9c7bNfDWID0dTnuR_Xa_ZFX33ZjIILOIHZtJSxBOrTLkiAODoFWKTGC4y1UhkdPN0D1Ajw7-O_Zw2HhBBJiap8-pLHnEJaUnfmRSG-oNsVelCQK_8OWqj6kPvefoB0z-aZ5QXeALxxSIT7q-n6pBk9ssIrrbowvpceCoJY2PS7hKDZSZzQYESRGvxXxldiai9DTZHhpkoGNbEMLTUi851Ghmp0LZR3TTS1xJArakfiOw4NfxdscyhiOb1apStV2dLYtn6h7KkudJtrNH96KGjQJgdvUzrvjI8KxjVw=w1259-h921-no?authuser=1An Old Bum

One of my coworkers drew a special retirement card for me. She must have surfed a lot of YouTube to get a sense of it. I think she captured the feeling pretty well!

Now I have to get out there and try to live up to the image.

• Like 1